Panoramix

Route du Rhum 2018

Woulda coulda shoulda.

Alex doesn't make excuses for his mistakes and wishes well for SMA. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

I don't know but that's the point of proper design, the device should be smart enough to fail safe.  An indicator (or shock) at the time he set the alarm could have avoided this outcome.

Usually there is a battery indicator like on most devices.  My Garmin is the same.  But instead of a shock, a recorded voice of Monica Bellucci whispers "sono pronto".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Clearly most of the punters here haven't been offshore at night in tricky conditions. Further, Alex mentioned he was dealing with pilot problems and having to hand steer for the last few days as the pilot did a poor job on the course of sail he was on. Couple that with with gusty conditions and he simply couldn't get much sleep until his body collapsed from exhausting. Poor planning on his part? Sure, but what would YOU do in those circumstances?

I feel bad for Alex and it would be good for the IMOCA community to have an Englishman win the race but I also agree with the IJ's decision.

I missed that he was having pilot problems.  That explains a lot.

Good evening,

I have new respect for Alex Thomson. He accepts his penalty as " very fair " and takes full responsibility for the incident. He is polite and shows excellent sportsmanship during the TV interviews despite what must have been a devastating blow to himself and his team.

Take note Serena Williams and co and learn from Alex.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Forget the result today for Alex. If he loses it will be the same as Gabart losing. Sorry but that's my take, rules into play, outcomes as per the judges etc etc. The big picture is the VG next time around. If you get to the finish Island and accidentally run aground 230 miles ahead of your next opponent you win in my book. We all know he didn't gain an advantage by starting his engine, fuck the rules. Judge the race by what we know, not who get's their name inked to some paper. 

Not at all - there is no comparison.  Gabart was beaten boat for boat to the finish - fair and square.

4 hours ago, forss said:

How did Sodebo Ultim managed to dock without engine on his pitstop?

With prior permission from the RC, restarting the race at the same point or in a worse position.
Quite a few rules in the race documents where and how to stop. How often too. (Stops in the start harbor don't count, stop within 150nm radius have other rules.)

48 minutes ago, popo said:

There's a maximum deviation from normal course that the autopilot accepts in wind mode, aint it, and setting off alarms when too far off course ?

I would think that by now the big AP systems would have added some rock limits... After all the boat usually knows where it is. Simple stuff. Do not cross this line/circle, fall off in that direction.

Overall...
I think Alex learned his lesson, 24h penalty is ok.
But. With a DSQ others also would learn the lesson real quick. With such a high speed collision it should be more about race safety (in future races, making an example out of Alex) and less about engine use (which of course also needs to be penalized).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, forss said:

track from official tracker with sat overlay

Damn. Just a few more degrees to his right and he might have sailed right past the island.

Given the 24 hour penalty for Thomson and this tidbit from the RdR "Logbook":

Paul Meilhat on SMA has 141.3nm to go and is travelling at 16 knots. In order to beat Thomson he must cross the finish line by 08:10:58 local time tomorrow. 

And the fact that Thibaut Vauchel-Camus on Multi50 Solidaires en Peloton ARSEP is now 49.2 nm. DTF (compared to Paul Meilhat's 86.7 nm. DTF) and will likely finish well before tomorrow morning, the official result will be that all three of the top finishers in Multi50 will beat Thomson's IMOCA60 time, and all of the boats in the IMOCA60 class.

vauchel_camus-3935506.thumb.jpg.4d6bde4b36bc42eb5255940306df2aa9.jpg

source: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/bretagne/route-du-rhum-avarie-bateau-thibaut-vauchel-camus-tete-multi50-1572166.html

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Alex' reaction was really good and classy, but quite a few people won't agree to:

I should have won the Vendee

the official result will be that all three of the top finishers in Multi50 will beat Thomson's IMOCA60 time, and all of the boats in the IMOCA60 class.

Stop comparing Apples to Oranges.    Each are great in their own CLASS.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

Just catching up with all the AT drama.  He sailed a smart and beautiful race up to the point of hitting the island.  All I can say in a situation like this is he got lucky and it could have been a much bigger disaster for himself and the boat.  Anyone who's sailed solo knows every long passage that ends safely is actually kind of a miracle.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Just ignore him and move on - every time there's an event there's someone who decides to create some troll account and waste everyone's time and get off on finding something that irritates people and repeatedly do it. For the America's Cup it was Alinghi forever dude. 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Stop trying to tell me what to think and do!  Really, "anarchy" is the guiding principle here, after all.

I guess my post deserves a private massage from the "lets compare rally cars to formula one cars" guy and then tries to tell me "anarchy" is the guiding principle.....   unless of course I say something he doesn't like then it's "stop" it.   

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Given the 24 hour penalty for Thomson and this tidbit from the RdR "Logbook":

And the fact that Thibaut Vauchel-Camus on Multi50 Solidaires en Peloton ARSEP is now 49.2 nm. DTF (compared to Paul Meilhat's 86.7 nm. DTF) and will likely finish well before tomorrow morning, the official result will be that all three of the top finishers in Multi50 will beat Thomson's IMOCA60 time, and all of the boats in the IMOCA60 class.

vauchel_camus-3935506.thumb.jpg.4d6bde4b36bc42eb5255940306df2aa9.jpg

source: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/bretagne/route-du-rhum-avarie-bateau-thibaut-vauchel-camus-tete-multi50-1572166.html

What next in your list of ridiculous comparisons? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, solosailor said:

What in the hell makes anyone here think they can command others about how to think and what to say?  Not only is this forum called "anarchy", but that was also the founding principle of the Route du Rhum:

On 11/14/2018 at 9:04 AM, ProaSailor said:

This history of the Route du Rhum is fascinating: https://www.routedurhum.com/en/page/history

Some selected highlights:

1978 - As its creator, Michel Etévenon, intended, the first Route du Rhum was the transat of freedom: monohulls and multihulls were mixed without class divisions and without size restrictions. Professionals and amateurs competed under the same rules and all outside aids to navigation were allowed on an open course.

Petty tyrants have no place here so all of you can just fuck off and mind your own damn business.

@Miffy, you are an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

Meilhat is already in the 4' update circle and Yann Elies about to enter it.

Route du Rhum live is on:

• Like 1

"command"??   "petty tyrants"??     You claim anarchy but can't handle the SLIGHTEST push back.    Pretty weak.    I command thee to eat shit.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 2

Nerve wreking finish for Paul, everything to win for Elies.

I don't think daggerboards vs foils will be what makes the win, only not falling for too long in a wind hole.

• Like 1

Interview with Thomo:  19knts on the rocks.  "Not much damage."  

Wow.  Took it all on the nose?  Missed the keel and boards?  Lucky is right.  

• Like 1

I've participated in long distance cycling events where I've had very little sleep, and I can tell you it's a bitch. You end up feeling like your drunk, and trying to make coherent decisions is almost impossible, to all those saying that Alex should have done this and should have done that, you just don't know what it is like to be in that situation. To me he is the winner of this race, despite what the official result is.

Perhaps the organisers of this type of torture need to think long and hard about how they finish these races, and make the finishes as easy as possible to navigate.

• Like 1

Absolutly disagree with you

What makes those races top noch is the fact that they are hard and only an elite few giving everything can win it.

Yeah sleep depravation is a real bitch. Guess what ... all the other sailors out there have to deal with it too.

He can be the winner in your opinion, as much as if my grandmother had wheels she would be a bicycle.

• Like 2

The problem I have with rules that penalize using your engine for safety reasons when no advantage is gained, is that it acts as a discouragement to act safely!

Solo sailing already cuts a pretty fine line with safety concerns and these sailors do take huge risks for themselves, but also for others out there on the water.    These boats have motors precisely because of safety situations: groundings; drifting onto the rocks; becalmed in front of a freighter on autopilot with nobody on watch etc.  When faced with such a safety situation, the sailor should not be given a huge incentive to not use the motor - just to avoid a penalty.

As the rules stands, AT was probably rightly penalized, and the reaction is probably going to be louder alarms and multiple shock watches.   But perhaps a better reaction would be to consider that rule so engine use may be exonerated for safety usage when no advantage is gained.  Such a rule change would not be that dissimilar to changes that are being considered because of the assistance given to Scallywag in the Volvo.    Just because of that "outside assistance" I don't think you will find many ocean racers happy to not check their charts because race control will save them, as the resulting zig zags cost!  Similarly, I don't think you would find that a rule change would encourage boats to run aground because they know they can use their engines to get off!

• Like 1

Actually, in the context of the Scallywag incident, I wonder if race control tried to contact HB in the period before the grounding? 

Was Race Control watching HB sail onto the rocks and gave no warning?  If he had not survived, then that would have been a difficult situation.

• Like 1

Rarely have I read such horseshit

Except maybe when proasailor writes

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, sfigone said:

Actually, in the context of the Scallywag incident, I wonder if race control tried to contact HB in the period before the grounding? 

Was Race Control watching HB sail onto the rocks and gave no warning?  If he had not survived, then that would have been a difficult situation.

Different from VOR - VOR is an organized show.

Route du Rhum doesn't manage the fleet the same way - it is French. 

7 minutes ago, sfigone said:

The problem I have with rules that penalize using your engine for safety reasons when no advantage is gained, is that it acts as a discouragement to act safely!

This is a hilarious sentence.  Single-handed racing is inherently unsafe.  Additionally you can't say that penalties discourage safety to a person that has just run directly into an island.  

5 minutes ago, r.finn said:

This is a hilarious sentence.  Single-handed racing is inherently unsafe.  Additionally you can't say that penalties discourage safety to a person that has just run directly into an island.  

There are always people who interpret individual decisions as precedents - when really they're not.

If any of the IMOCA skippers start their engines to untangle from some fishing net, rescue someone - no one will ever give them a 24 hr penalty. AT took responsibility for his own error and mistake - not sure why so many people unconnected to him can't seem to.

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Damn. Just a few more degrees to his right and he might have sailed right past the island.

Just a few more degrees to his right and he may have driven up on a reef between the 2 big sections of the island. Probably would needed about 30 degrees (eyeball guess on google) to miss the island. Lady luck was with him for where he did strike. 

8 minutes ago, r.finn said:

However the point of knowing whether the RO tried to contact him or not is valid, even though if he didn't hear his alarms, he probably wouldn't have heard the phone either.

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

If any of the IMOCA skippers start their engines to untangle from some fishing net,

Nope they will be given a panalty for sûre !

Ask Jean Le Cam why he dived  5 meters deep alone in the southern freezing ocean during the VG, and didn't just started his motor

Yann Elies closing in, and Paul Meilhat at Tete à l'Anglais will enter the island wind shadow soon.

4 minutes ago, popo said:

Nope they will be given a panalty for sûre !

Ask Jean Le Cam why he dived  5 meters deep alone in the southern freezing ocean during the VG, and didn't just started his motor

I think you're cutting my statement a bit short and missing the important point about 24 hrs. Without having the VG jury around to ask - I dare say if any IMOCA skipper finds himself surrounded by a Chinese fishing fleet with nets in all directions and have to break seal to motor backwards to untangle - they won't receive a 24 hr penalty. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, popo said:

Absolutly disagree with you

What makes those races top noch is the fact that they are hard and only an elite few giving everything can win it.

Yeah sleep depravation is a real bitch. Guess what ... all the other sailors out there have to deal with it too.

He can be the winner in your opinion, as much as if my grandmother had wheels she would be a bicycle.

Not to make assumptions, but I hope the dear old gal would need a few more things than just a couple of wheels to meet the standard specs.

6 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I think you're cutting my statement a bit short and missing the important point about 24 hrs. Without having the VG jury around to ask - I dare say if any IMOCA skipper finds himself surrounded by a Chinese fishing fleet with nets in all directions and have to break seal to motor backwards to untangle - they won't receive a 24 hr penalty. 

I stand on that they would.

4 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Not to make assumptions, but I hope the dear old gal would need a few more things than just a couple of wheels to meet the standard specs.

You knew her ?

8 minutes ago, semelis said:

Thibaut is becalmed.

Meilhat and Elies are only 11.1 nm apart.

Merde!  Less than that!  Thibaut lost his groove and is about to be passed.  Meilhat is ~5 times faster in the lee of the island.

Good race.  ;)  (on a lousy course...)

Distance between Meilhat and Elies has increased to 11.3, maybe if he can keep closer to the coast than Thibaut he can avoid the wind-hole.

1 hour ago, sfigone said:

No advantage gained !? He just got off the rocks without breaking his boat. If he hadn't used his engine, he would probably still be there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

What in the hell makes anyone here think they can command others about how to think and what to say?  Not only is this forum called "anarchy", but that was also the founding principle of the Route du Rhum:

Petty tyrants have no place here so all of you can just fuck off and mind your own damn business.

@Miffy, you are an idiot.

Awwww look, Proa on a little downvoting frenzy. 

4 hours ago, CARBONINIT said:

Well done Alex  in getting the boat to port .Sleep deprivation ! it's a killer. Shock watches, upgrade to a cattle prod mate but then you have problems with follow through. Enjoy ya Rum.24 hour penalty, should have been the time he used his engine. Still the jury are damned if they do and damned if they don't. See you at the Vendee.

You sure a cattle prod is powerful enough?

1 minute ago, Raptorsailor said:

You sure a cattle prod is powerful enough?

Kersauson was hanging a winch handle over his head.

When the boat was moving in an "unfamiliar way" he would take it in the face and wake up ...

• Like 1

Gabart interview after Alex arrival :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/route-du-rhum/video-gabart-reagit-a-l-arrivee-de-thomson-7a36558a-e9b4-11e8-bae5-1f05d1b3deb7

He is saying that he wouldn't have liked to be part of the jury on this one, really tough decision to take, and also that Alex has been quite lucky in his unlunckyness, as he could have lost his boat completely on this one.

Also reminding that Meilhat's boat is his previous boat, and the one on which he won the 2014 RdR (and 2012 VG), so it could be the first mono to win 2 RdR in a row.

Elies is slower where he is than Meilhat was at the same point

Time penalties have evolved from a time when there used to be only one penalty and that was DSQ. Some races now even select sections of a race course where time penalties apply and the balance of the race course they don't. For instance the start line and some distance from it where there is a higher probability of an infringement occuring. This is essentialy done so minor infringements don't give rise to participation being discouraged. The RdR goes one step further by allowing restarts for the same reason.

The problem for juries is unless the time they select translates into a place(s) or standing of the offender being changed there is in effect no penalty. In instances like this where they use "on water" penalties it is not hard to imagine a situation where the "on water' time penalty given ultimately proves insufficient at race end with no change in standings and so no penalty being imposed.

To avoid that maybe there is a case for juries either being given more discretion or revert back to the old days of the only penalty they can impose is DSQ?

Luckily in this case the infringement occured at the end of the race course and the jury was able to select a time that produced a change in standings.

• Like 1

Meilhat moving forward again but Elies is only 7.2 nm behind.

Thibaut is doing 17.5 kn, seems out of trouble now.

12 minutes ago, semelis said:

Meilhat moving forward again but Elies is only 7.2 nm behind.

Thibaut is doing 17.5 kn, seems out of trouble now.

More like 7 knots, eh?  His VMG is only 5.4 knots.  But yeah, Meilhat has slowed down and Thibaut's lead looks safer again, for the moment.

tracker_2018Nov15f.thumb.png.1c70b9423b844acfa63b71c70b79593d.png

I will continue to post what I want where I want. Why not? It's sailing Anarchy.
-- Bob Perry, November 16, 2018

3 hours ago, mad said:

What next in your list of ridiculous comparisons? 

Batting 500, in the bottom of the third, against all right handers ,when he scratches his nuts.

Meilhat approaching Basse-Terre rhum buoy, with more speed than Elies, has increased his to over 5.2 nm, will probably lose some of that to pass inside the buoy, although he's not making such a radical choice as Thibaut.

Why was Erwan Le Roux wearing big rubber masturbation shoes? Are crocs popular in France?

"The problem for juries is unless the time they select translates into a place(s) or standing of the offender being changed there is in effect no penalty. In instances like this where they use "on water" penalties it is not hard to imagine a situation where the "on water' time penalty given ultimately proves insufficient at race end with no change in standings and so no penalty being imposed. To avoid that maybe there is a case for juries either being given more discretion or revert back to the old days of the only penalty they can impose is DSQ? Luckily in this case the infringement occured at the end of the race course and the jury was able to select a time that produced a change in standings." 

Reminiscent of the penalty on WOXI 11 months back... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LionessRacing said:

"The problem for juries is unless the time they select translates into a place(s) or standing of the offender being changed there is in effect no penalty. In instances like this where they use "on water" penalties it is not hard to imagine a situation where the "on water' time penalty given ultimately proves insufficient at race end with no change in standings and so no penalty being imposed. To avoid that maybe there is a case for juries either being given more discretion or revert back to the old days of the only penalty they can impose is DSQ? Luckily in this case the infringement occured at the end of the race course and the jury was able to select a time that produced a change in standings." 

Reminiscent of the penalty on WOXI 11 months back... 

It would’ve made no sense, but purely for our entertainment, I wish they would’ve made the penalty exactly what the current ETA of the second place boat at the time. 

30 minutes ago, TPG said:

Why was Erwan Le Roux wearing big rubber masturbation shoes? Are crocs popular in France?

Never heard them called that before!

Meilhat already doing over 10 knots and about to reach the south of the island, Elies still in no wind zone losing ground. The order of arrival seems settled.

13 minutes ago, semelis said:

Elies still in no wind zone

I was there last year at Anchor during the 600 and people were dragging anchors in 40K plus wind. Strange thing wind.

Thibaut Vauchel-Camus a franchi la ligne d’arrivée ce vendredi à 23h 18’ 44’’ (heure de Paris, 18h 18’ 44’’ heure locale) après 12 jours 09 heures 18 minutes et 44 secondes de course, à 11,91 nœuds de moyenne sur le parcours théorique (3 542 milles).

Il a réellement parcouru 4 495 milles à la vitesse de 15,12 nœuds

7 minutes ago, semelis said:

Thibaut Vauchel-Camus a franchi la ligne d’arrivée ce vendredi à 23h 18’ 44’’ (heure de Paris, 18h 18’ 44’’ heure locale) après 12 jours 09 heures 18 minutes et 44 secondes de course, à 11,91 nœuds de moyenne sur le parcours théorique (3 542 milles).

Il a réellement parcouru 4 495 milles à la vitesse de 15,12 nœuds

Translation:

Thibaut Vauchel-Camus crossed the finish line on Friday at 23h 18 '44' '(Paris time, 18h 18' 44 '' local time) after 12 days 09 hours 18 minutes and 44 seconds of racing, at 11, 91 knots average on the theoretical course (3,542 miles).

He actually traveled 4,495 miles at a speed of 15.12 knots

tracker_2018Nov15g.thumb.png.8e26a185f1b205328fcbb5f774abd40b.png

Live now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUPi7TY_j04

Bravo!!  Multi50 Class rocks!

4 hours ago, Miffy said:

Pretty sure they would receive a harsh penalty. Brian Thompson received a 6 hr penalty for his shore crew departing the boat 1 minute later than allowed. 

• Like 2

Race strategy decisions, configuration of leaning boat/foils, blowed spinnaker two days into the trades, VG reflexions,, etc..

1 hour ago, Potter said:

Pretty sure they would receive a harsh penalty. Brian Thompson received a 6 hr penalty for his shore crew departing the boat 1 minute later than allowed. 

Ouch, when was that?

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Any chance Vincent riou wont finish inside the 24 hours? 

Yes he must finish before 8:10 and current ETA is 7:50 (French time), so Alex still has a chance for the podium 

These things usually end worse.  Remember when a similar happened on Group 4 while Golding was leading the BOC?  

ideccrash05_017_small.jpg

stamm2_1206955c.jpg

yachting-golding1-G4F48N.jpg

Might as well add this then as somebody else started it. 

nzCEmfoHQryRqtdrBVE4_Hugo-Boss-7-2240x1260.thumb.jpg.ee31cbbeca79ebf1117bd87282d63bc5.jpgAdmittedly not the same circumstances, but I wonder if it’s still there?

If that hull was on kits beach in Vancouver, someone would be living in it already.

• Like 1

Re RdR's media coverage: As another Canadian a few leagues to the east of Keith (where it helps to be able operate in both GBR-speak and FRA-speak and  where having a few words in at least one indigenous language is important), I commend Andy's and Hugo's bilingual delivery of the Live coverage of Alex's finish posted above (pp 21 and 22). The press conference, too. Nice bridging of the Anglo-French offshore sailing worlds -- can only grow interest. My French just got a boost alongside my appreciation of this race!

Tres bien fait, Alex et Paul! Felicitations.

• Like 1

I didn't realise there are so few manufacturers in this shock alarm space, maybe this is the only one and even they are a pre-order/batch manufacturing type business model for new model releases.

https://buy.pavlok.com/products/pavlok-pro?_ga=2.152801401.1715573477.1542424593-1128814989.1542424593

https://buy.pavlok.com/products/pre-order-shock-clock-2-wake-up-guaranteed?_ga=2.119591112.1715573477.1542424593-1128814989.1542424593

They talk of a charging interval of a few days.

Subject reminds me of those alarms that made you a cup of coffee in the morning, if you were a tea drinker you were destined to sleep in.

coffee-alarm_0.png

• Like 1

Maybe next time at straps the pavlok watch to him balls. Bet he can’t stay asleep during the shock. 

• Like 1

Grateful if you could list all hotels worldwide that you know of where such a caffeine delivery system comes standard, Jack (2075). I will patronize them. Much better than chewing on the phone charger cord to get ready for the day. The aroma is much better too

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IMR said:

Maybe next time at straps the pavlok watch to him balls. Bet he can’t stay asleep during the shock. 

That approach would leave ones balls in a pretty sad state after the VG.

I have no idea of the sex of Pavlov's dogs.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/what-kind-of-dog-was-pavlovs-dog-22159544/

Crocs are the best offshore shoes! You just have to remember to take them off when you finish so nobody sees you wearing them.

6 hours ago, TPG said:

11 hours ago, r.finn said:

Anyone who's sailed solo knows every long passage that ends safely is actually kind of a miracle.  

It takes around a week or more into the VG for most to get aclimatised so the RdR is tougher than many may think.

Someone writing copy at Team Thomson has a less agreeable outlook on the penalty than their boss.

“As a team, we believe that 24 hours was an exceptionally harsh penalty given that Alex acted to save the vessel and his own life, and he did not gain any competitive advantage from the grounding. However the International Jury has made its decision”.

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/british-sailor-alex-thomson-conquers-la-route-du-rhum/

Geez Alex, I stop watching with you way out front to go crabbing (sweet dungeness) and you go rock hounding.   Glad you didn"t kill the boat.  Maybe good karma for the VG.  Business yet to be finished.  Thanks Hugo Boss!!!

out of curiosity, did Thomson's boat happen to get more f'ed up than has been disclosed?

47 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

I'd love to know AT's insights into why he thinks he should have won the VG.

I guess he means he would've won it with an intact stb foil. Faster than ALC on BP in the last VG. 

if Le Cleach had an intact Hugo Boss last VG, he probably would've easily dropped Thomson like a bad habit just because he's better at the game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

Grateful if you could list all hotels worldwide that you know of where such a caffeine delivery system comes standard, Jack (2075). I will patronize them. Much better than chewing on the phone charger cord to get ready for the day. The aroma is much better too

It’s called room service 

HB has been rightly penalized according to the current rules, but while many of us are gutted for him, it has essentially not changed the race as a great sailing event and I don't think there are any participants, sponsors or fans who will give up on ocean racing as a result.  If fact HB probably love it that AT is a such bad luck magnet (and then good in a crisis) - he get's more coverage for his many dramas than if he just won everything.

Yet with the current interpretations of the RRS, the RC can radio a warning that you are about to hit the rocks and there's no penalty,  but if you do hit the rocks then using the engine to get off the rocks does incur a penalty?  So that's just a bit strange.

If future rules were changed so that engines could be used in safety situations without penalty, then a similar race would have been just as great for participants, sponsors and fans.  The result might have been a little different, but if when the drama of the leader grounding unfolded, it would have been no less compelling: what happened? will they get off? can they continue? will they sail fast enough?   Just no drama about what would the penalty be.  Perhaps a bit of drama if the jury would rule it a safety situation, but that one is pretty clear cut.    

Basically such a rule change would for the most part change bugger all.... except there would be an occasional dangerous situation made safer because the participant don't hesitate to use the engine... and this was not one of them - if the penalty had been 5 years in jail, I think AT would have still started the motor without pause.     

It would also set a good example for club racers - in my own club we try to encourage becalmed boats to motor out of the way of shipping and ferry's and then resume racing from the same spot after they pass (penalty enough), yet too many sit it out and risk collision or fines.

The other big difference is that  this forum would have to find something else  to completely disagree about and to argue endlessly about!  But I'm confident that we are up to that task!

Some of you are fucking funny on this topic.

You speak about getting away from a ferry or from rocks.

Nothing to do with this situation where the guy WAS FUCKIBG ALLREADY AGROUND CAUSE SLEEPING !

You can bet he had no hesitation whatsoever to fire his engine becauqe of thz rules when hz finaly woke up.

• Like 2

Going to be tight for Riou to get 3rd.

Meilhat put the hat on and celebrated like he earned 1st.! Alex chose to be withdrawn , I wonder if the French jumped om this? Not my opinion however not sure if I would have handled it like that. ? I didn't day the French were arrogant? Just checking...............................

Nar Fark The French......Been arrogant to me so it's pay back.........................

• Downvote 2