Panoramix

Route du Rhum 2018

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Melonhead looks happy

Maybe he's smiling because he just ate a pork pie!

1 hour ago, semelis said:

In the Rhum Multi Etienne Hochedé (62 years old) is aiming at a podium finish with a foiler from 1983.  He was 5th 4 years ago.

Yes and he is a real amateur, also owning a car repair shop (but now retired I think).

The "histoire des half" page about his boat :

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/50 multis/50 Lessive.htm

Note : Jean-Pierre Balmes on a "racing la vagabonde" (outremer 4X) is also doing quite good in the Rhum multi (and he got an injury to one ankle)

Could Boris Hermann get very lucky if some kind of bridge opens in the to be very elongated Azores high ?

He now is the most westward one.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Melonhead looks happy

Yah man... he knows it and owns it,  Boss Melonhead w/steel balls outpassed la garde fleet

Meanwhile the 1 on 1 of the 2 monsters mid Atlantic..., Golden Boy streching and giving some air/space to Titanium GranPa... these damn modern kids dont respect older ones and history (!)  :angry:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, QBF said:

Maybe he's smiling because he just ate a pork pie!

A pork pie and a nice celebration morning Boss spliff... (those eyes) (!)

• Like 1

Romain Pilliard, the skipper of the trimaran Remade - Use it Again arrived last night in La Coruña. After a brief technical stopover, the trimaran left the pontoon and Pilliard's race continues!

https://www.facebook.com/UltimBoat/

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Leo quite a remarkable effort and no sign that is about to change in the short term.

The cat and mouse between Meilhat/Riou and Thomson now a hour by thing to watch their relative BS and COG changes. Thomson still has superior BS but going lower/further east by around 15 degrees (but less than he was earlier) to maintain that plus avoid the glue up front. 

Looking more and more like a restart soon if Thomson doesn't fall off the wagon.

AT needs to be ahead, hunting again after the last Vendee is to much to take :)
Riou should gain on Meilhat if his foils works like he said.
We've got a race on....

4 hours ago, terrafirma said:
(Excuse the copy and pasting and the format)
New top speed for @ATRacing99 on Hugo Boss at 38.5 knots. We’ll just leave the GIF by @sailinglignano here whilst you take that in 

New top speed for HUGO BOSS.....38.5 knots. We’re flying!! Destination?? Guadeloupe! #RdR2018 #racing #record #speed #routedurhum #imoca @routedurhumENG @IMOCA60 @HUGOBOSS @nokia @BellLabs

alex top speed.jpg 

Thats smoking...

31 minutes ago, Hwyl said:

image.thumb.png.5db0e3fb2bad30a690ba1de4737330c3.png

Glad they put that fender there, I would hate to see that boat get scratched.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yl75 said:

Could Boris Hermann get very lucky if some kind of bridge opens in the to be very elongated Azores high ?

He now is the most westward one.

Yes, he has gained 30 nm. on Thompson in the last nine hours and gone from 4th to 2nd.  And he has more wind (18 knots) than all those grouped near Madeira (10 knots or less).

He's a bit far from the trades to take him to the finish. It's the problem of using DTF for live rankings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hwyl said:

image.thumb.png.5db0e3fb2bad30a690ba1de4737330c3.png

Talk about a sacrificial bow... Everyone keeps saying the loads on these boats are unknown, but with this damage, it seems like this should be more of a known than say cross beams, or points for the foils. Not that I know anything about engineering, just arm chair thoughts. 

Talk about a sacrificial bow... Everyone keeps saying the loads on these boats are unknown, but with this damage, it seems like this should be more of a known than say cross beams, or points for the foils. Not that I know anything about engineering, just arm chair thoughts. 

I think, as a fellow arm chair engineer, that the issue is "unknown unknowns" if you don't know something is going to happen you can't simulate the load it causes. I'm very interested to see if they'll put anything out about why this happened; its also still possible that Gitana did hit something after all, wouldn't take much of a sunfish/log/debris impact to cause significant loading on contact at the speed these monsters go!

19 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I think, as a fellow arm chair engineer, that the issue is "unknown unknowns" if you don't know something is going to happen you can't simulate the load it causes. I'm very interested to see if they'll put anything out about why this happened; its also still possible that Gitana did hit something after all, wouldn't take much of a sunfish/log/debris impact to cause significant loading on contact at the speed these monsters go!

Massive fucks in massive machines... quite logical... hope the battle upfront with historic solo duo (goldenBoy vs TitaniumGranPa) does not end until the end... knobs crossed B)

1 hour ago, Tropical Madness said:

Thats smoking...

Indeed !

20 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I still like the idea of a "black box" data recorder to at least understand the motion these boats are subjected to:

Measuring the actual loads is also possible, as they have done in AC boats, though that's far more complex and data-intensive.  Pitch, roll, yaw and acceleration/deceleration (ten times per second) doesn't seem difficult at all.

Mesuring something like loads, implies computer running.

Computer running means electricity

Electricity means diesel

Diesel means weight.

That's why they record loads during trials, when racing, they should know by then where and when to stop pushing thanks to those sea trials so that should not break anymore

• Like 1

With development classes & open rules, it takes some failures for teams to scale back on the performance and toggle some compromises. Or you can further restrain your skipper and team and limit the conditions to which you'll sail it at, which is a perfectly reasonable and normal coping response.

Oftentimes somethings breaks and people immediately jump on the gun re flaw in manufacturing or design - but its the sea we're talking about. Even steel ships have broken keels.

• Like 1

They will be recording performance data within their navigation software, probably load cells on the stays within that dataset. Its just a question of getting load sensors on other parts of the boat if they want it. 

To me black box implies something disaster proof though, that could be grabbed when ditching, that means small, disconnect able in a hurry and tough.

Alex did a fantastic job protecting his lead in the south.  From the speeds on the tracker yesterday it looks like he pushed incredibly hard to keep it.  I wish I had my routing computer with me this week to see what Boris' moves up north might actually look like.

Again, pitch, roll, yaw and acceleration (direction and magnitude) require no external load sensors embedded on the boat.  They can all be measured within the recording device.  With that knowledge, structural loads can be computed.  Very useful to better understand these events, even when the boat merely flips without breaking.  No more electric demand than running a cell phone on "airplane mode" 24/7.

3 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Again, pitch, roll, yaw and acceleration (direction and magnitude) require no external load sensors embedded on the boat.  They can all be measured within the recording device.  With that knowledge, structural loads can be computed.  Very useful to better understand these events, even when the boat merely flips without breaking.  No more electric demand than running a cell phone on "airplane mode" 24/7.

Likely to already be recorded if their using B&G WTP or similar, I'd assume that the top end NKE gear has a similar gyrocompass.

7 hours ago, yl75 said:

Beyou has said he needs toput some miles on his boat, for proper testing/optimisation, not qualification, so why not in this race.

Also for the sponsor. I'm sure that they want to see him at the finish even if it's late and not in the lead.
With the extended closing of the finish line he can easily spend a week on a full repair and still make it.

Qualification for the VG2020 changed a bit. 4 instead of 8 years.
Finishing in the VG2016 or finishing an IMOCA race (within time limit) after it qualifies a Skipper for the VG2020. (Some other ways too, as exception only.)
There will be 30 entries. This time sorted by the most miles in IMOCA Championship races after the VG2016. There are 3 short cuts: Finishing the VG2016. New boat completed after 2017/01/01. Four places are wild cards for the race organizer.)

Beyou qualifies and has an automatic starting place. OTOH he launched first to get a lot of miles on the boat and solve the problems before the VG. So why not do it, esp. in big weather. Sorry Charal, I did not break the boat in testing. I broke it in a Championship race. :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hwyl said:

image.thumb.png.ff72394a26bfbd744b76ad558132e372.png

This picture would qualify for a caption contest :huh:, the dialogue between the 2 blokes could be interresting.

But seriously, what are they doing right now? I can see a hammer on one of the pictures.

Chopping of what is left?

Gluing a new bow?

1 hour ago, ague said:

This picture would qualify for a caption contest :huh:, the dialogue between the 2 blokes could be interresting.

But seriously, what are they doing right now? I can see a hammer on one of the pictures.

Chopping of what is left?

Gluing a new bow?

''There are a few sardines and flyfish around here... r u hungry Seb... do you want them grilled... or maybe raw back in the hotel...''  Seb. ''... merci but prefer an hambiurgier...''   B)

Vintage class 40 racer Railmeat update;
L’état de la mer a été horrible avec des déferlantes, j’étais sous tourmentin et trois ris au plus fort du front,

This was at the moment one depression rolled over, horrible seas breaking, 3reefs and stormjb.

Looks like Pilliard got to shore, did his quick repair, and resumed racing pretty quickly.  Any news on whether or not Coville will be able to resume racing, or does Pilliard just need to finish to get a podium spot?  It'll be interesting to watch the race for third if Coville departs 3 days from now.  I'm assuming Coville can cover the course a lot faster than Pilliard if Sodebo is up to it.

I'm also finding it interesting to see how few boats have retired despite an enormous number having returned to port.  Will we be seeing a lot of boats resume racing when a more pleasant weather window opens?  None for podium spots (except maybe Coville), but I guess most of them weren't podium contenders anyway.  Or is it just that they haven't gotten around to retiring officially yet?  I guess in many cases there may be damage to be assessed, personal confidence to restore, etc, such that they're simply undecided.

Go the Dragon!  Up to 13th and going strong with an interesting Western position.  Pretty big gap to the boats ahead, though.  He may find himself in a no-man's land between the boats that got away and the boats he's (hopefully) going to get away from.

I'm also finding some M50's interesting...  Tripon and Arkema way East who seem to have skirted the heaviest weather, versus the two leaders who pounded through it on a more traditional route.  Similar dynamics with a couple RMulti boats (Loick!) 

It's also interesting to look at Lisbon at the moment...  IMOCA Amedeo is going in there, as is C40 Fequet, and it looks like RMono Gerckens is going that direction.  I guess despite getting past the worst weather, they must have had some damage requiring attention before crossing the Atlantic.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

No sub deck?

Look more closely, there is a subdeck. Hard to see as its carbon on carbon. Unfortunately it looks like they failed to run some uni-carbon spars forward to add some strength. Looking at that layup it can't be but ~200gsm thin ply biaxial carbon over Dinviycell H60 or similar in most of that bow. It could be even lighter, honestly looks the same as some 60gsm stuff I use regularly. 1.5"-2" Nomex in the deck and maybe some other areas. Plenty stiff but clearly not strong enough for the job. Chasing weight comes with a price, they are lucky to still be upright!!

52 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Any news on whether or not Coville will be able to resume racing, or does Pilliard just need to finish to get a podium spot?

The message yesterday was that Sobedo is not out and will resume if possible. The video showed the work on the beam and IIRC Coville said that the are also checking the rest of the boat for problems. 
Today the repair are progressing, the decision to continue still has to be made. Via:

Here is the deepl translation version of what RM said on the FR RdR site:

Michael Hennessy: "We're going to have to fight again"

Here is the message received Thursday afternoon from Michael Hennessy, 14th in Dragon in Class40 and first in Vintage:
"The last 24 hours have been challenging, for the first time, the actual conditions did not match the weather files. The Grib files announced a westerly wind of 20 knots, increasing to 30 knots at night, which led me to head south-west on a direct course towards the Azores. Instead, we had a stronger Southwest that forced me to go South, even South-South-East, which brought me closer to Cape Finisterre than I wanted. The sea state was horrible with breaking waves, I was under storm and three reefs at the height of the front, and when the wind calmed down in the evening, I was really slow, but I didn't dare to send the canvas back because of my lack of confidence in the weather forecast. The wind finally shifted, which allowed me to resume my course to the southwest, mainsail up and down, and the rest of the night was relatively comfortable. Now, when I look at the 580 miles to the Azores, I think we're going to have to fight again, because the weather will get worse early on Friday morning, and it should last until Sunday, when I'll be approaching the islands."

• Like 1

The work is in progress

Even if that looks a little bit third world ...

FB_IMG_1541706268993.jpg

FB_IMG_1541706263479.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, V21 said:

Glad they put that fender there, I would hate to see that boat get scratched.

I thought that was a texas tampon.

20 miles of latitude between AT and his pursuers.  A little bit more of a righty and it makes sense to go for the pressure in the south.  Those three IMOCAs are positioned really well.  I also expect Trepon to run away with it in the Multi50 class.  This will be a great one for him to win.  The race just got a whole lot more pleasant for those 4 boats.

53 minutes ago, yl75 said:

My god... just few hours sleep along Finisterre and Costa da Morte... he looks tired... get rest Mostro... and prepare for the dwnwnd battle with french army...  CMON melonhead Boss!!...

And the leading Ultime historic duo engaged in a first gybe with another one coming... TitaniumGranPa must b thinking about the alliance of goldBoy w/ Neptune... this kid is just mindblowing !... the gullwing track leaved is just precise...

Ep!... and Meilhat has gybed south to the canary islands looking for some banana

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Ohhhh dear.. what have I started.

eheheh!... you didnt (just nice appreciation on his true craneal diameter... also cause his tough minded breakingboat attitude yaknow...:lol:)

From the Route du Rhum site

MACHINE TRANSLATION 

Location of the trimaran Banque Populaire IX

The position of the trimaran Banque Populaire IX is transmitted by the French Mission control Centre COSPAS-SARSAT twice a day to the People's Bank Team. This information is immediately communicated to the race Direction of the rum Route which transmits it to all competitors likely to navigate in the vicinity of the area concerned to ensure their safety.

I'm trying to get the YB race tracking working in expedition.  Getting "requested url not found" 

I'm probably getting the race name code wrong. Tried rdr2018 and many similar variants. 

Anyone got it working? 

What's up with Maitre Coq?  He went into Lisbon, and then departed, and now several hours later seems to be going back.

I do not think they are using yb trackers, if so then they are not using yb site for tracking. RdR dies not appear in the mobile YB app list of races.

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

What's up with Maitre Coq?  He went into Lisbon, and then departed, and now several hours later seems to be going back.

Maybe he wants to eat some more bacalhau.

56 minutes ago, Rafael said:

My god... just few hours sleep along Finisterre and Costa da Morte... he looks tired... get rest Mostro... and prepare for the dwnwnd battle with french army...  CMON melonhead Boss!!...

And the leading Ultime historic duo engaged in a first gybe with another one coming... TitaniumGranPa must b thinking about the alliance of goldBoy w/ Neptune... this kid is just mindblowing !... the gullwing track leaved is just precise...

Ep!... and Meilhat has gybed south to the canary islands looking for some banana

Expect gybe south fest for IMOCA fleet with mr Meilhat... Azores high tends to consolidate in the path... looks like Cape Verde's next wypnt to final rush

Just now, Rafael said:

Expect gybe south fest for IMOCA fleet with mr Meilhat... Azores high tends to consolidate in the path... looks like Cape Verde's next wypnt to final rush

Here we go...!... on the fly

WTF mr Meilhat is making zigzag with Spermwhale packs or wtf... (!)

maybe covering mr. snowbird Riou

Idec is batting way above their average... I suspect when the trades settle that golden boy will foil away

And another batter is Paul on SMA. He will suffer like Granpa without foils soon one would suspect

I'm rooting for those two.......

2 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Idec is batting way above their average... I suspect when the trades settle that golden boy will foil away

And another batter is Paul on SMA. He will suffer like Granpa without foils soon one would suspect

I'm rooting for those two.......

With a heap of boat speed up his sleeve and the other new boats having "issues" I'm guessing your golden boy is doing just enough to stay ahead.

1 minute ago, SCARECROW said:

With a heap of boat speed up his sleeve and the other new boats having "issues" I'm guessing your golden boy is doing just enough to stay ahead.

That would make sense and what I would do but I don't think he can help him self... I'd bet he is pushing himself as if the others were there... that is how he is programmed.

• Like 2

I bet the oposit

If there's a cold hearted calculating winning machine, it's him

• Like 2

The sea gods look w good eyes to tha goldenBoy, thats for sure since ages (coville to the ville, the chacal byted, Seb w/fisheries onboard).... go titanGranPa!... and of course... monomelonhead too (!!) :D

14 hours ago, yl75 said:

Sure this was posted at the time, the last capsize they had. 

https://www.sail-world.com/news/204152/Banque-Populaire-IX-capsizes-breaking-her-mast

Dragon's going north slowly. :(

:o Well, Dragon is back up to speed.
New weather reports for the fleet? A few others have also changed course at the same time. [Sorel, Hennessy, Niewnhous, Sepho]

Basically the north western group. The others in the area seem to be running for shore.

22 minutes ago, Fort2FortRace said:

No worries. Perfectly safe. Go ahead.

Did Hot Rod reappear and do that ?

Alex Thomson (Hugo Boss)
Speed: 10 knots
Heading: 167 degrees
VMG: 0.0 knots
Wind: 47 degrees @ 10.2 knots  (120 degrees AWA, port tack)

Boris Herrmann (Malizia 2)
Speed: 14.5 knots
Heading: 182 degrees
VMG: 5.2 knots
Wind: 260 degrees @ 12.2 knots  (78 degrees AWA, starboard tack)
Distance to 1st: 37.9 nm

tracker_2018Nov8a.thumb.jpg.0c910431827cd2ff905e653f59d4494c.jpg

https://www.windy.com/?34.931,-9.141,6,m:eGJafyq   (approximate position of Boris Herrmann on Malizia 2, at wind flag below)

windy_2018Nov8a.thumb.jpg.2be8d3145e96f4a8724d2dfa6e8fc287.jpg

Alex's lead dwindling fast lets hope his narrow boat can get him through the high pressure system asap. 

Have to feel for Mike on Dragon and the other boats around him.  They've been out there 5 days and have been getting their teeth kicked in for the majority of the time.  Can't be fun and has to be getting old and they still have several days before it gets warmer, calmer, and more aft of beam.  

• Like 4

I don't think Alex is under much threat from Boris due to having made it through the high (by the looks of it), It may be closer with Paul and Vincent when it comes time to gybe - though 60 odd miles is a decent lead.

In the multi 50s, Lalou in Arkema is last, but not actually in such a bad position from what I can tell.

1 hour ago, ALL@SEA said:

In the multi 50s, Lalou in Arkema is last, but not actually in such a bad position from what I can tell.

I'm finding his position fascinating...  How long did he park it in Lisbon?  Roughly a day?  And he's flying down the coastal route now.  If he can connect to the trades, he'll start turning in some nice VMG tomorrow.

Fequet has a similar situation going in the C40s.

13 hours ago, ague said:

This picture would qualify for a caption contest :huh:, the dialogue between the 2 blokes could be interesting.

Worker - "I've done the measurements Skip, Sodebo's bow will plug straight in, we'll be gone before they even realise :ph34r:"

• Like 2

How do they cool the diesel engine on the FOILING ultims ?

Boris Hermann won't be in the lead for long judging by his speed and course, Alex up to 16 Knots now. Could be in front by next sked or the one after?

Gabart's lead is slowly but steadily increasing: 140 nm .

In M50 Tripon and Roucayrol are well positioned to end 1rst and 2nd, hugging the Portugal coast looks like it was the good option.

In multi Rhum the fight for 2nd and 3rd  will be between 2 catamarans and an old aluminium foiler if nothing changes.

53 minutes ago, Barnacle Balls said:

am i wrong or is there only about 18 out of the original fifty something class  40s left?

Plenty of them have taken shelter in some Britanny ports (and Spain/portugal), there should be a big restart on Sunday or something.

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Boris Hermann won't be in the lead for long judging by his speed and course, Alex up to 16 Knots now. Could be in front by next sked or the one after?

His lead is a calculation fake, he is way off the game, N of Azores high bubble... dealing w/ headwinds and a confused future... no good at all... scheisse!

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Melonhead boss had a bad night... lost some S lat to Meilhat, Riou... Im surprised he is keeping up in touch in this soft/medium winds w/ french carbon feathers (lightweighs)...

we'll see when the fleet inmerses in heavier trade flow...

The ultime historic duo in their own waterworld... with titan granPa byting his teeth !  (+30knts losing VMG), one more gybe (maybe 2) and very soon... Caipirinha!

Paul Meilhat has done very well. Realistically can he win this with a 2011 non foiling VPLP design notwithstanding he is only 36 and most likely younger and fitter than Alex etc? At the moment non foiling conditions but with 2400 miles to go the foilers will no doubt have their moment again?

4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Paul Meilhat has done very well. Realistically can he win this with a 2011 non foiling VPLP design notwithstanding he is only 36 and most likely younger and fitter than Alex etc? At the moment non foiling conditions but with 2400 miles to go the foilers will no doubt have their moment again?

Yep, agree, great sailor, he had bad luck in the past VG... interesting to see how he is going to handle the downwind rush... 

He has gybed W (first again) to say hello to melonBoss, looks like a crossing today (w/alex in front)

51 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I don't see him holding on in the trades unless the foilers have breakdowns. Alex is currently 2.5 kts faster in nearly the same conditions. Still needs to gybe and it will be a close cross but Alex will be hard to catch.

I like the way M50 Armel Tripon gybed back and forth between the IMOCAS, passing them all from

behind and is now leading the southern pack of boats, crossing ahead of Alex as a scout.

The brown color of his boat on the tracker is almost as stealth as HB's black....

• Like 1

Hah!  Boris gained 63 nm. on Alex in the last 11 hours, now leading by 25 miles.  Yeah, I see their positions in the weather pattern, but this is cool.

Boris Herrmann (Malizia 2)
Speed: 11.2 knots
Heading: 302 degrees
VMG: 6.8 knots
Wind: 253 degrees @ 18.7 knots  (49 degrees AWA, port tack)
Position: 36N,23.5W

Alex Thomson (Hugo Boss)
Speed: 17.4 knots
Heading: 177 degrees
VMG: 2.2 knots
Wind: 57 degrees @ 12.6 knots  (120 degrees AWA, port tack)
Distance to 1st: 24.9 nm
Position: 29N,21W

tracker_2018Nov9a.thumb.jpg.aa97f4655e4a09b1ad319e73c3398155.jpg

https://www.windy.com/distance?33.275,-10.854,6

windy_2018Nov9a.thumb.jpg.bfe9e1b137f1c1abe2c841a91bef9355.jpg