Sign in to follow this  
Grande Mastere Dreade

College Football 2018

and FSU takes the early lead ..

Florida State quarterback Deondre Francois was cited for misdemeanor possession of marijuana on Thursday, and did not participate in the Seminoles final practice before Saturday's spring game, according to a report from the Tallahassee Democrat. The redshirt junior signal-caller was charged with possession of less than 20 grams, and will be placed in a diversion program. He will not have to appear in court as a result of the incident

but since this is fsu,  I'm sure they replaced his dirtweed with some botany club special..

UGA 's nonconference is all sisters of poor/mercy this year + GT, but our rotating SECWest team is at LSU.  We were supposed to play tOSU but they (tOSU) cancelled it, have ND again next year, looking forward to beating them a third time in a row.

15 minutes ago, 2slow said:

UGA 's nonconference is all sisters of poor/mercy this year + GT, but our rotating SECWest team is at LSU.  We were supposed to play tOSU but they (tOSU) cancelled it, have ND again next year, looking forward to beating them a third time in a row.

we're almost back to scheduling you pansies on a regular basis, probably be an atlanta bowl game... instead of home and home

Gawd, I can't wait for CFB to start back up!

And I'm anxious to see if GW is able to put together another unbeaten season again.

15 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

we're almost back to scheduling you pansies on a regular basis, probably be an atlanta bowl game... instead of home and home

UGA is 42-18-4 against you guys, so there is that....  I have been to a few of them, actually like Clemson, favorite ACC team.   How someone would willingly choose to live in Columbia vs the shore of Lake Hartwell baffles the mind

On 5/22/2018 at 5:43 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

And I'm anxious to see if GW is able to put together another unbeaten season again.

There are three certainties in this world.  Death.  Taxes.  GW Football: Undefeated.  

My work is having a world cup office pool.  They are mostly all Brits.  I picked Team USA to go undefeated for the entire tournament.  They were not amused.

11 hours ago, Fakenews said:

SEC looks to dominate again.  Hard to bet against Bama and UGA but MMSU and Gators look like good dark horse bets.

When did Mariano Marcos State University join the SEC????  I didn't even know football was big in the Philippines.  

mmsu_logo.png

On 6/3/2018 at 5:40 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

My work is having a world cup office pool.  They are mostly all Brits.  I picked Team USA to go undefeated for the entire tournament.  They were not amused.

That’s awesome. The cost of that GW education is still paying dividends. 

On 6/3/2018 at 12:26 PM, Fakenews said:

SEC looks to dominate again.  Hard to bet against Bama and UGA but MMSU and Gators look like good dark horse bets.

I think Florida is going to have a tough year, 3rd in the east behind Georgia and South Carolina.  Not sure who MMSU is but if its Mississippi State they will be lucky to go .500.

11 hours ago, 2slow said:

I think Florida is going to have a tough year, 3rd in the east behind Georgia and South Carolina.  Not sure who MMSU is but if its Mississippi State they will be lucky to go .500.

Cautiously optimistic. I see some signs that I like, mostly the news about changes in strength and conditioning. Last year wasn’t just mental...they got pushed around physically and faded late in games, time and time again. Talent-wise, most folks are looking at QB, but they will benefit from having a hungry Jordan Scarlett back at RB after his year off. 

They will struggle for some time until the talent cupboard gets restocked, across the board. This year is a write off to me. If they are fighting as hard on the last play of every game as they were on the first play, I’ll call it progress. 

Clemson great Dwight Clark DTS,  played intramual BB against him and his SAE buddies, typical jock back then

Sad news to report tonight.

49ers great and former Clemson receiver Dwight Clark has passed away at the age of 61 after his battle with Lou Gehrig's disease.

12 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Sad indeed.  I loved his play even as a cowboys fan.  I have to say maybe it’s time to end the sport.

WTF??

Football causes Lou Gehrig's?

Who knew my mother in law was that athletic.  

I don’t hate the USC Trojans but despite playing in the weakest conference in CFB those clowns haven’t won anything  since 2004 after cheating their way to the BCS.  My Gator friends also note that between 2006 and 2008 the gators won not one but two NC’s.

they looked at this post and laughed in derision at Maddog and the Trojans who are not favored to win any games against a good team again this year. Many are saying they should go D2 belief me.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

My Gator neighbor also pointed out they won a NC in 2006 (he’s an insufferable lout) and droned on and on about Gator basketball baseball softball , lacrosse, soccer and track and field NC’s and pointed out how if they were a country they would be top 10 in the last Olympics.

i shut him down with water polo....

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

On 6/27/2018 at 3:24 PM, Maddog said:

Sorry guys, I'm back and I have to do this.

florida-gator-fans-bie4f8.jpg

My neighbor pointed out that they won another NC in 2008 which was quite relevant to Oklahoma.  I remember that cause I was there (as a neutral fan of the game) and several SEC East championship since in the toughest conference in CFB.  He’s a veritable fountain of CFB knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

My neighbor pointed out that they won another NC in 2008 which was quite relevant to Oklahoma.  I remember that cause I was there (as a neutral fan of the game) and several SEC East championship since in the toughest conference in CFB.  He’s a veritable fountain of CFB knowledge.

Wait a minute! Do you remember gaytor? or your neighbor? You keep mixing your personal pronouns.

grammarpolice.jpg

I remember my neighbor, in fact I saw him this AM.  This Gator character you refer to was before my time.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

46 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

shirt.jpg

Hey Old Man, Kiff just may be the best damn coach in the state of floridhuuuu.... right now. It's good to hear from you.

On 6/27/2018 at 3:08 PM, Fakenews said:

I don’t hate the USC Trojans but despite playing in the weakest conference in CFB those clowns haven’t won anything  since 2004 after cheating their way to the BCS.  My Gator friends also note that between 2006 and 2008 the gators won not one but two NC’s.

they looked at this post and laughed in derision at Maddog and the Trojans who are not favored to win any games against a good team again this year. Many are saying they should go D2 belief me.

You're an idiot and so are your Florida Man friends.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

My Gator neighbor/friend is cautiously optimistic for the season LSU, UGA and FSU are the toughies he says but we’ve all seen wild UGA/Gator outcomes. Win that one and the east is probably theirs to win.

Disturbing but true.

meanwhile with recent departures USC is looking weak again in a weak league.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Maddog said:

Hey Old Man, Kiff just may be the best damn coach in the state of floridhuuuu.... right now. It's good to hear from you.

He just needed to be pulled out of the circus for a bit, spend some time training under Master Yoda, and boom, he's lighting it up at FAU.  He is a good coach, a great recruiter, and a troll master, with the best looking ex-wife in college football.

The coaches in the state, and the recruiting battles, are hideous these days.  Kiffin, Butch Davis at FIU, Richt at UM, Strong at USF, Taggert at FSU, until this year we had Frost at UCF.  it's a bloodbath on the recruiting trail around here.  Time will tell how Mullin does, but if a guy can recruit to Starkville, he can recruit anywhere, and he definitely can develop and coach players.  The only question for him is whether the fans give him room to do his thing, or if unrealistic expectations will weigh the program down yet again. 

On 6/26/2018 at 1:22 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

My coffee cup sums up my prediction about the 2018 season.

36280444_1755238454555846_22900453721746

36222935_1755238467889178_18895258291431

You have a landline?

gclogo.png

Comparing Florida’s talent to its SEC East rivals
By
 David Wunderlich
 -
 June 28, 2018
With spring practice well in the rear view mirror and the bulk of transfer decisions done, it’s about time to check in on how SEC football rosters are taking shape.

Today, I’m going to compare Florida’s talent levels at each position to those of division rivals Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The Gamecocks aren’t a rival in the same way the Bulldogs and Vols are, but the early offseason consensus thinks they’ll be roughly around the same quality level of the Gators this year.

I went through each roster and totaled up the talent ratings of the scholarship players at each of them from the 247 Sports Composite. I believe I’ve accounted for all transfers, up to and including UF’s recent JUCO transfer tight end Lucas Krull. Krull doesn’t have a Composite rating as not enough sites issued a rating for him, so I just used 247’s figure for him. All players who signed this offseason but who haven’t enrolled and haven’t announced a decision to go to a JUCO are included too. For those who want to go this granular, I also included Auburn transfer Stephen Davis with South Carolina’s linebackers even though he’s a walk-on since he had a 3-star rating and originally signed with an SEC program.  Now, I know that recruiting ratings can be wrong for individual players. Malik Davis showed himself to be a lot better than a 3-star last year, for instance. However in the aggregate, which is what I’m covering here, they are fairly accurate. The only teams that challenge for or win national titles that aren’t full of highly-rated players either have a generational talent, like Cam Newton on 2010 Auburn or Marcus Mariota on 2014 Oregon, or are significantly ahead of the curve strategically, like 2010 Oregon.

Here are the average Composite ratings for each position for the top four SEC East teams. The leader in each spot highlighted.

Position UF Avg. UGA Avg. SC Avg. UT Avg.
QB 0.9097 0.9896 0.8705 0.9082
RB 0.8971 0.9473 0.8772 0.8858
WR 0.9313 0.9201 0.8885 0.8866
TE 0.8899 0.9448 0.8428 0.8494
OL 0.8785 0.9296 0.8722 0.8858
DL 0.8939 0.9118 0.8768 0.8957
LB 0.8592 0.9308 0.8706 0.9066
DB 0.8943 0.9030 0.8669 0.8876

almost didn’t have to do the highlights because Georgia is tops at every position except wide receiver, which is the one place where Florida grades out on top. This was the case last year, too.

Florida’s quarterbacks and wide receivers are among the four spots along with quarterback and linebacker at Tennessee that have a positional average above .9000, which shows you how strong it is for all of UGA’s groupings to be above that level. Even so, those quarterback ratings are a little suspect as they’re being heavily buoyed by Feleipe Franks, who struggled to look like a 3-star last year, and Keller Chryst, a former high 4-star recruit at Stanford who graduate-transferred to Knoxville. Had he fulfilled his rating, he’d be starting in Palo Alto instead of starting over at UT. Here, again, are the limitations of individual recruiting rankings.

In any event, Georgia has an enormous talent lead on the rest of its division. It pulled ahead in that respect thanks to its blockbuster 2018 signing class, so it’s an advantage that should prove durable for a few years.

It’s even more stark if we just look at the number of players with each given star rating on the rosters.

Team 5-Stars 4-Stars 3-Stars 2-Stars
Florida 2 34 42 2
Georgia 13 48 24 1
South Carolina 0 23 53 6
Tennessee 1 34 47 2

Florida and Tennessee combined only have ten more blue chip 4-star and 5-star players (71) than Georgia has by itself (61). That 2018 class again figures large here, as nearly half (14) of the top 30 players on UGA’s roster by the Composite are freshmen.

That's all fine and well.  But how is Bama looking this year?  They are the literal elephant in the room.

Elephant-Alabama-900x505.jpg

It does seem like Georgia has a big. Talent advantage.  I brought this us to needle ny nutty Gator friend and he pounced on this notion.  He reminded me that Mullen is the better coach with a track record of developing talent.  He boldly predicted a true freshman will start at QB ala Johnny Football.  He snickered at the idea that UGA has a better RB unit.  He then brought up time where the Gators dominated a top 10 UGA 38-20 in 2014 or in 2015 and 2016 when though outmanned the won nonetheless.  

He’s confident in theirs chances but like I say he’s a little nutty.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Fake news, you're Gaston right?

Yes Jeff, Bama is still the 1000 pound Gorilla, but the Dawgs were every bit as good as Tide last year.  One blown offsides call on punt and Georgia wins that game.  There was a razor thin difference

13 hours ago, doghouse said:

That's adorable. 

Arguing with Trollston is the forum equivalent of a dog humping your leg. Mildly amusing at first, but it quickly fades to revulsion.

Oh oh. UGA’s strarting QB broke his hand.  Not clear which one but his throwing hand would be sub optimal.  Just goes to show that preseason ranking mean nothing.  Fortunately, my nutt,y Gator friend hasn’t chined in yet.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/report-georgia-qb-jake-fromm-suffers-hand-injury-ahead-of-2018-season/

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Good news not his throwing hand but this will likely impact his throwing motion and velocity.  My nutty Gator friend just chimed in, he thinks it will cost them at least one game they are favored to win.  Naturally he said the Gators....

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Luckily UGA has last years #1 overall recruit backing him up.  Troubling for Floriduh fans.

I brought this up to My nutty Gator buddy. He just just chortled and said the last 5* QB backup (Jacob Eason) UGA had now plays for Washington.

called him a loser which I thought was mean.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

I brought this up to My nutty Gator buddy. He just just chortled and said the last 5* QB backup (Jacob Eason) UGA had now plays for Washington.

Gaytor, do you think this charade is fooling anyone???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Gaytor, do you think this charade is fooling anyone???

It will be a golrious day when when he double posts with one of his socks and gets exposed. I remember the "Pig Eater" episode from earlier this decade.

62017_1373337545601_1596683746_30810678_6915459_s.jpg

On 7/6/2018 at 10:56 AM, Fakenews said:

Jacob Eason would start at Floriduh but was going to be third string at Georgia.  That is both sad and troubling for the once talented Gators. 

Who is Gaston?

a quick search shows that Jacob Eason now plays for Washington and is not named the starter.  Are u sure you’re a UGA fan?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Floriduh has a better class of decommitments than commitments.  Sad.

Florida’s current commits (11): 5-stars: 0 | 4-stars: 4 | 3-stars: 7 | Total stars: 37 | Average stars: 3.4

Florida’s decommitments (9): 5-stars: 1 | 4-stars: 5 | 3-stars: 3 | Total stars: 34 | Average stars: 3.8

I brought this alarming fact up to my nutty Gator friend.  He was unconcerned said 30% of espn 300 are uncommitted and 30% of the committed will decommitt.  After the (almost) Annual UGA loss to Florida he predicts the Gators will have a top 10 class.  I told him I don’t really care but boy oh boy his faith is unshakeable, he is definitely not troubled.   Like I said he’s kind of nutty.

• Downvote 1

On 7/21/2018 at 4:22 PM, Fakenews said:

I brought this alarming fact up to my nutty Gator friend.  He was unconcerned said 30% of espn 300 are uncommitted and 30% of the committed will decommitt.  After the (almost) Annual UGA loss to Florida he predicts the Gators will have a top 10 class.  I told him I don’t really care but boy oh boy his faith is unshakeable, he is definitely not troubled.   Like I said he’s kind of nutty.

What ever you say, Gayston.

On 5/22/2018 at 4:43 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

One thing is also certain...Vanderbilt will continue to be the SEC punching bag and will be lucky to be .500.  Flashes of brilliance last year against K State, but if Baylor and TCU can put a competitive team on the field, why can't my alma mater?

16 hours ago, wallcfa said:

One thing is also certain...Vanderbilt will continue to be the SEC punching bag and will be lucky to be .500.  Flashes of brilliance last year against K State, but if Baylor and TCU can put a competitive team on the field, why can't my alma mater?

Vandy has beaten Tennessee 4 of their last 6 meetings....Tennessee appears to be the punching bag to me.

On a more troubling note, Floriduh's highest recruit from last year has been a bad boy, looks like gaston's gators are still recruiting low character people.  Sad.

3 hours ago, 2slow said:

Vandy has beaten Tennessee 4 of their last 6 meetings....Tennessee appears to be the punching bag to me.

On a more troubling note, Floriduh's highest recruit from last year has been a bad boy, looks like gaston's gators are still recruiting low character people.  Sad.

My nutty Gator friend laughed at this little bit then directed me to this website. Apparently UGA has had the most student athletes  (he snickered) 53! Than any other CFB team this decade.

http://arrestnation.com/teamsschools/university-of-georgia/

• Downvote 1

So this afternoon I found out that a bunch of Gator football players were involved in an altercation with a group of scetchy trespassers (not students) on campus.  Aparrently The interlopers were the trouble makers and threatened to players intimating they had a gun.

the players retreated but returned shortly with an air gun, rocks, and hilariously a frying pan to confront the other group.  I immediately jumped on the phone to mock my nutty Gator friend.  He handled the news pretty well and suggested that as punishment he should  have his locker filled with frying pans, have to carry a frying pan around campus and be given a frying pan related nickname “scrambled eggs”.

guy can be obnoxious but he has a funny streak...

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Fakenews said:

guy can be obnoxious but he has a funny streak...

No gaytor, you aren't funny.  Don't quit your day job hoping for that standup comedy gig.

And you're still not fooling anyone with your "my nutty gaytor friend" schtick, gaytor.  Just saying.

On 7/3/2018 at 2:56 PM, 2slow said:

Fake news, you're Gaston right?

Yes Jeff, Bama is still the 1000 pound Gorilla, but the Dawgs were every bit as good as Tide last year.  One blown offsides call on punt and Georgia wins that game.  There was a razor thin difference

Mmm, hate to interject facts here but you're completely wrong. First, one blown call of any kind does not determine the outcome. Second, if that call had been correct, it would have been illegal motion on alabama which would have also nullified the play. alabama would be penalized 5 yards and rekick. Even if we go on your theory of a turnover for Ga ( ignoring the facts for your benefit ) that does not mean georgia wins. that was not the last play of the game. It wasn't even in the last quarter if memory serves.

Next, Just because it's a close game doesn't mean that the teams are equal. Alabama played horribly offensively in the first half and spotted Ga. a 13 point lead and still beat them. If alabama takes a 13 point lead in any game, the game is over and everyone knows it. Miss state also had alabama behind in the fourth quarter at home, does that mean state was every bit as good as alabama ? Nope. 

1 hour ago, surf nazi said:

Mmm, hate to interject facts here but you're completely wrong. First, one blown call of any kind does not determine the outcome. Second, if that call had been correct, it would have been illegal motion on alabama which would have also nullified the play. alabama would be penalized 5 yards and rekick. Even if we go on your theory of a turnover for Ga ( ignoring the facts for your benefit ) that does not mean georgia wins. that was not the last play of the game. It wasn't even in the last quarter if memory serves.

Next, Just because it's a close game doesn't mean that the teams are equal. Alabama played horribly offensively in the first half and spotted Ga. a 13 point lead and still beat them. If alabama takes a 13 point lead in any game, the game is over and everyone knows it. Miss state also had alabama behind in the fourth quarter at home, does that mean state was every bit as good as alabama ? Nope. 

you sec fan boys are so cute,  I remember bama having a 14 point lead and losing the game by 4...

A quick search shows short Jeff has poor knowledge of CFB, the Tour de France and sailing among many oyher things. But yeah the SeC has bee far and away the best league in CFB  for the last 15 years and it’s not close 

• Downvote 1

Preseason college football rankings:
Top 25 for 2018

25. Boise State Broncos

The Broncos are coming off their third double digit-win season in four seasons under Bryan Harsin, and there's no reason to expect any different in 2018. There isn't a team on Boise State's 2018 schedule, sans Oklahoma State, the Broncos can't beat. It certainly helps that quarterback Brett Rypien and running back Alexander Mattison lead a talented offense. 

24. Mississippi State Bulldogs

Gone is Dan Mullen, though the Bulldogs have more than enough offensive weapons to succeed in 2018, starting with Nick Fitzgerald at quarterback and Aeris Williams at running back. Bringing in former Penn State offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead — the architect of the Nittany Lions' high-flying offense the past two years — as head coach can only mean good things on offense.

23. South Carolina Gamecocks

Florida and Tennessee are breaking in first-year coaches, so this is a unique opportunity for Will Muschamp to lead the Gamecocks to a breakthrough in the SEC East. Quarterback Jake Bentley is back and should continue to improve with his supporting cast, too. Having a healthy Deebo Samuel will be a huge boost to the Gamecocks' season.

22. Texas Longhorns

Tom Herman returns after leading the Longhorns to a bowl win in his first season. The nation's No. 3-ranked recruiting class is heading to Austin. Sam Ehlinger is a quarterback the program can build around. Texas lost to USC, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State by a combined 11 points in 2017. Can the Longhorns win the close games this year? 

21. Oklahoma State Cowboys

The Cowboys lose the star connection of Mason Rudolph and James Washington, but Mike Gundy decided to stay in Stillwater despite a push from Tennessee. There will be growing pains, but the Cowboys will figure things out and contend in the Big 12 as usual. 

MORE: College football's toughest places to play

20. Florida State Seminoles

First-year coach Willie Taggart inherits a talented team. The Seminoles have a quarterback battle on their hands, but the emergence of star running back Cam Akers should make that transition easier. Will the Seminoles get back to competing for an ACC championship? Those are the expectations Taggart facesevery year now.

19. TCU Horned Frogs

Highly touted dual-threat quarterback Shawn Robinson will take over a team capable of making a run back to the Big 12 championship game. An early test against Ohio State on Sept. 15 will be telling. Gary Patterson has another chance to shake up the College Football Playoff picture

18. LSU Tigers

Ed Orgeron led the Tigers to a January bowl game, and the addition of Ohio State transfer quarterback Joe Burrow should excite fans. Still, the Tigers have a rough schedule that sees them open against Miami in Jerry World, face East opponents Florida and Georgia in consecutive weeks and take on always-tough division rivals Alabama and Auburn. We'll know enough about this team before the Tide comes to Baton Rouge on Nov. 3.

17. Virginia Tech Hokies

Justin Fuente didn't entertain some big-time coaching openings in the offseason, a testament to his commitment to Blacksburg. The Hokies have proven they're good enough to compete for the ACC championship game again. They'll have to build around quarterback Josh Jackson — and replace the losses of Tremaine and Terrell Edmunds on defense — to take the next step.

16. UCF Knights

Scott Frost is back at Nebraska, but incoming coach Josh Heupel inherits a fun and talented team, led by quarterback McKenzie Milton. A September showdown against Florida Atlantic will have huge ramifications for the Group of 5.

MORE: Knights' claims do nothing for Group of 5

15. USC Trojans

Sam Darnold is gone to the NFL, so the focus will be on the quarterback battle among JT Daniels, Matt Fink, Jack Sears and Holden Thomas. Running back Stephen Carr should have a breakout season, however, and coach Clay Helton has reestablished a winning culture within the program.

14. Stanford Cardinal

Quarterback K.J. Costello's continued development is imperative to the continued success of Stanford, though getting Bryce Love back for another season is big in that regard. The Cardinal are always in the mix with David Shaw, but the September schedule is tough, with San Diego State and USC at home, followed by road games at Oregon and Notre Dame.

13. Michigan State Spartans

Brian Lewerke emerged as Michigan State's quarterback of the future in 2017, and that was the key to another successful season — and remarkable turnaround — in 2017 under Mark Dantonio. Running back LJ Scott is returning, and Ohio State and Michigan must visit East Lansing. As Dantonio likes to say, “It's never over."

12. Michigan Wolverines

Too high? The confirmed status of of Shea Patterson in 2018 could be the missing piece that allows Jim Harbaugh to silence the critics after a disappointing five-loss season. To be honest, we wanted to go higher, but the Wolverines' schedule — which features road games at Notre Dame, Michigan State and Ohio State — leaves them with a lot to prove. 

11. Miami Hurricanes

Mark Richt and the Hurricanes arrived earlier than expected this year, and — despite three losses to end the season — should be back in ACC contention with Malik Rosier and a core that includes running back Travis Homer and a strong defense. Miami's nonconference schedule features a monster opener against LSU at Jerry World and a road trip to Toledo.

10. Penn State Nittany Lions

The Nittany Lions were four points away from an undefeated season in 2017. James Franklin continues to build through recruiting. Penn State, however, must deal with the loss of Saquon Barkley. But new offensive coordinator Ricky Rahne called a great game in the Nittany Lions' Fiesta Bowl win. How will that affect quarterback Trace McSorley going forward?

MORE: It's still Trace McSorley vs. the doubters

9. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

A November that saw the Irish go 2-2 overshadowed a 10-3 season, and the offensive line must replace two top-10 NFL Draft picks in Quenton Nelson and Mike McGlinchey. Brandon Wimbush has a talented group of receivers with which to work, and that's an area of development that could put Notre Dame over the top in 2018.

8. Auburn Tigers

Gus Malzhan opted to stay at Auburn, and with good reason. There's enough talent on both sides of the ball to repeat as SEC West champions, and perhaps finish the job this time around. Jarrett Stidham is back, but leading rushers Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway are gone, as are Jeff Holland and Carlton Davis on defense. The Tigers also have to travel to Tuscaloosa and Athens this time around.

7. Washington Huskies

Chris Petersen has built a consistent winner at Washington. That will be tested when the Huskies and four-year starter Jake Browning take on Auburn in the season-opener in Atlanta. This is a huge game for the entire Pac-12; not just Washington. 

6. Wisconsin Badgers

Wisconsin returns quarterback Alex Hornibrook and star running back Jonathan Taylor. Paul Chryst continues to improve the skill positions while following a familiar pattern with the offensive line and defense. The next step is finishing the job at the Big Ten championship game. If the Badgers can do that for the first time since 2012, then they'll finally make the playoff. 

MORE: 18 predictions for 2018

5. Oklahoma Sooners

Lincoln Riley couldn't have done a better job replacing Bob Stoops in Year 1, but the Sooners lost Baker Mayfield and a few other key pieces to the NFL. Kyler Murray and Co. struggled somewhat in the spring game, but should be ready to take the job. Early tests against Florida Atlantic (yes, really) and UCLA accelerate that learning curve.

4. Ohio State Buckeyes

Dwayne Haskins won the starting job in a fierce quarterback battle in Columbus, but Tate Martell will be an interesting player to watch in fall camp. Urban Meyer faces the usual attrition to the NFL Draft. J.K. Dobbins and Nick Bosa are back, however, and Ohio State is still the team to beat in the Big Ten despite trips to TCU, Penn State and Michigan State.

3. Georgia Bulldogs

The Bulldogs were one of the big winners at the NFL Draft entry deadline last year. The defending SEC champions now have holes to fill, but the offense can build around sophomore Jake Fromm. Kirby Smart has an all-time recruiting class coming in, and the Bulldogs are in great position in the SEC East.

2. Clemson Tigers

Business as usual for Dabo Swinney. The Tigers suffered a few losses to the NFL Draft, but running back Travis Etienne is a value pick for the Heisman Trophy and the defensive line features four potential first-round picks in Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins, Austin Bryant and Clelin Ferrell. The arrival of five-star freshman Trevor Lawrence has shaken up the quarterback battle, but that only reinforces the point: Clemson isn't going anywhere.

1. Alabama Crimson Tide

Yes, we put Alabama at No. 1 again. Chances are it will be atop the preseason polls that come out in August. Nick Saban may have a quarterback controversy between Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa, but he's working with the same talented stable of skill position players. One possible concern: Saban will be working with his third different defensive coordinator in four seasons, after Jeremy Pruitt left for Tennessee.

Others receiving votes: Texas A&M, Memphis, Louisville, Florida Atlantic, Arizona

GO CANES

The Suckeyes, as usual, are highly overrated.

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

enought to get him fired?  I don't know, he's been trashing the big 10 for a while and knocking on the door for a nat champ..   touch call..

Urban is having chest pains again.. (insert Fred Sanford gif here)

5 hours ago, 2slow said:

Urban is having chest pains again.. (insert Fred Sanford gif here)

That's funny.  This was entirely predictable.  I warned OSU friends that they should enjoy the success while they could because the day would come in which it brought shame along with it.  Muschamp had to clean it up at Florida, and still managed to win a bunch of games without thuggery.  I'd rather lose a few games every year than run the table with Aaron Hernandez carrying the flag onto the field....

Urban is now on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation into the domestic abuse charges

My nutty Gator friend is almost giddy with joy.  Urban Liar (as he call him)  is set to be fired (they’re just negotiating terms) and Gator fall practice start tomorrow..  He’s  predicting 10-2 but my objective take is 9-3.  His enthusiasm is contagious though and  I’ll quietly be pulling for them this year just not when he’s around.

• Downvote 1

Urban is toast. That’s worse than the stuff that got Tressel canned. They have to bear down, squeeze, push and shat him out the door. If they can do it for cause, they’ll save somewhere just shy of 40 million bucks. 

If they are lucky, they might be able to lure McElwain away from Michigan before he gets too entrenched there. 

As a UF alum,  not upset about urban meyer.  but you cant argue with his sucess.  

the florida gator football team is off to a good start this year, with a couple guys caught on video with airsoft rifles on campus and then lied to police about it.  and and a wide reciever arrested for kidnapping, strangulation and other charges.

15 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

As a UF alum,  not upset about urban meyer.  but you cant argue with his sucess.  

the florida gator football team is off to a good start this year, with a couple guys caught on video with airsoft rifles on campus and then lied to police about it.  and and a wide reciever arrested for kidnapping, strangulation and other charges.

UFag is just trying to take the mantle away from Miami for being the most thuggish team in the state.  

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

UFag is just trying to take the mantle away from Miami for being the most thuggish team in the state.  

The recruit/receiver got the boot without ever playing a down. Thug U would have had the girlfriend recanting the next day. 

Apparently, USCUM as only had 11 players arrested in the last decade, all from guys I’ve never heard of and not in the league.  I  Guess the Miami PD received and understood their marching orders.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Apparently, USCUM as only had 11 players arrested in the last decade, all from guys I’ve never heard of and not in the league.  I  Guess the Miami PD received and understood their marching orders.

Gator, unless you acknowledge your true identity, how can we take anything you say seriously?  Acknowledge that you are Bull Gator and we will then knowingly not take anything you say seriously.

Watkins is one sick SOB from the sound of it. A potential Hernandez in the making. Glad that it’s not Urban’s program anymore. Scary stuff.  Sick. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/report-dismissed-ex-uf-wr-justin-watkins-became-angry-over-teammate-liking-a-girls-instagram-photos/

Finebaum further discussed Meyer and Ohio State on First Take this morning.

“The immediate reaction was Urban Meyer cannot survive this,” Finebaum said on ESPN’s First Take on Thursday morning. “And that’s before I even finished the first paragraph. As you got deeper and deeper into the story, it got progressively worse. And since then, I haven’t seen any indication from that school or from anyone else that he is. The second they put him on administrative leave, that telegraphed to me, and I think many others, that they were looking for a way out, whether it’s settlement, outright fire for cause, I don’t know, but I cannot imagine with what Urban Meyer said last week at Big Ten Media Days and the fact that he hasn’t said anything yet, that he is going to have anything more to say in terms of this football season.”

Finebaum spoke more about Meyer and “arrogance.”

“When we’re talking about arrogance, that seems to go hand in hand with Urban Meyer,” Finebaum said. “And listen, I have always liked him personally, I’ve respected his coaching ability. But you can’t look past the University of Florida. I mean, he left a disaster down there. Oh yeah, he won two national championships — thank you, Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin and countless other players that have been in the NFL since then — but he left his entire legacy in burned ashes.”

Urban watch T-7 days 

On 8/2/2018 at 9:27 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Urban is toast. That’s worse than the stuff that got Tressel canned. They have to bear down, squeeze, push and shat him out the door. If they can do it for cause, they’ll save somewhere just shy of 40 million bucks. 

If they are lucky, they might be able to lure McElwain away from Michigan before he gets too entrenched there. 

Tressel got canned for submitting false reports to the NCAA. Meyer may have lied about knowing what was 

going on with Smith, but he didn’t break any rules.

2 hours ago, barleymalt said:

Tressel got canned for submitting false reports to the NCAA. Meyer may have lied about knowing what was 

going on with Smith, but he didn’t break any rules.

I don't know, this was about domestic violence.  Call it a wash.  

Well, Urban breaks his silence. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/urban-meyer-breaks-his-silence-issues-lengthy-statement-after-being-placed-on-leave/

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I don't know, this was about domestic violence.  Call it a wash.  

Well, Urban breaks his silence. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/urban-meyer-breaks-his-silence-issues-lengthy-statement-after-being-placed-on-leave/

I am not a fan of Meyer, but hard seeing Olieo State firing him for this.

9 minutes ago, barleymalt said:

I am not a fan of Meyer, but hard seeing Olieo State firing him for this.

There are nearly 40 million reasons to keep him on the job.  His explanation does not cover keeping the wife beater around after finding out about the abuse.  If he gets canned, that's why.  

9 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

There are nearly 40 million reasons to keep him on the job.  His explanation does not cover keeping the wife beater around after finding out about the abuse.  If he gets canned, that's why.  

I’m sure there is some obscure morality clause in the contract that will allow Ohio to fire urban without having toay any money to him.  It will come down to who has the better lawyer

If should be noted that he new of abuse claims in 2009 and kept him on.  Then he hired him on at OSU and heat him on after learning about it in 2015 and lied about his knowledge and dismissed it as a nothing burger.

Both sides will take the path of least resistance.  He’ll resign after developing health issues induced by this experience and OSU will give him a 15M package.

• Downvote 1

On 8/3/2018 at 10:00 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Don't disagree, and in most places he would be gone.  But Ohio State is not most places, and the fan base and alumni love him. Read a lot of the back story, it looks like the local police may also have dropped the ball in 2015. Zack Smith is also Earle Bruce's grandson, and apparently Bruce is one of Meyer's mentors. Bruce apparently appealed to Meyer to keep him on.