• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

Comey interview transcript

Recommended Posts

Nothing new just Comeys personal feelings towards the guy that fired him. 

Concluded that he is not morally fit to be president.  Added on that he didn’t think impeachment was the right way to go  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Nothing new just Comeys personal feelings towards the guy that fired him. 

Concluded that he is not morally fit to be president.  Added on that he didn’t think impeachment was the right way to go  

 

Where's the guillotine when you need it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Nothing new just Comeys personal feelings towards the guy that fired him. 

Concluded that he is not morally fit to be president.  Added on that he didn’t think impeachment was the right way to go  

 

43 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Nothing new just Comeys personal feelings towards the guy that fired him. 

Concluded that he is not morally fit to be president.  Added on that he didn’t think impeachment was the right way to go  

 

First off, the phrases "nothing new" and "just Comeys personal feelings" are attempts to minimize the professional judgement of a very senior member of our law enforcement system with decades of experience dealing with, among other groups, La costra nostra. His opinion, while not the opinion of the FBI, speaks to a wealth of knowledge you do not have. So, your opinion is more correctly minimized than that of Director Comeys.

Secondly, the firing of Comey, in context, was obstruction of justice. It was also carried out in a petty & vindictive fashion.

Comey has concluded that the President of the United States is not morally fit to be president. Furthermore, he identifies specific, if small, lies told to the Director of the FBI. Not big substantive lies on issues of importance, but our president established a pattern of lying which go beyond "Comeys personal feelings." These substantiate Comey's charge that the President is unfit. As he said earlier in the interview, lying to the FBI is a crime, and Trump did that from nearly the beginning. 

I think Comey stood tall and was a bulwark against people who operated within the confines of the law and historical traditions. Trump outmatched him, and his whole shtick put Comey on the defensive. He rose slowly, and imperfectly, to the task. He says that Sessions was overmatched by his job. I think that same charge holds true for Comey. We needed someone with better street fighting skills in the Oval and in the residence during that dinner. Someone who identified the shifting sands more quickly and put a stop to things earlier, figured out a way to protect himself and the FBI from the predator that strikes from above. 

I cannot fault Comey for honorable and ethical decisions, but he wants us to believe that he had no other way to handle these circumstances. I think he lacked imagination and ended up, if not being "the torture guy" as his wife called it, but as the guy who got Trump elected and then got suckered into a personal relationship with a mafia don despite his misgivings. He got revealed as an amateur by a slick operator. I've ended up feeling sorry for him, which is something that is the kiss of death for a Director of the FBI.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

First off, the phrases "nothing new" and "just Comeys personal feelings" are attempts to minimize the professional judgement of a very senior member of our law enforcement system with decades of experience dealing with, among other groups, La costra nostra. His opinion, while not the opinion of the FBI, speaks to a wealth of knowledge you do not have. So, your opinion is more correctly minimized than that of Director Comeys.

Secondly, the firing of Comey, in context, was obstruction of justice. It was also carried out in a petty & vindictive fashion.

Comey has concluded that the President of the United States is not morally fit to be president. Furthermore, he identifies specific, if small, lies told to the Director of the FBI. Not big substantive lies on issues of importance, but our president established a pattern of lying which go beyond "Comeys personal feelings." These substantiate Comey's charge that the President is unfit. As he said earlier in the interview, lying to the FBI is a crime, and Trump did that from nearly the beginning. 

I think Comey stood tall and was a bulwark against people who operated within the confines of the law and historical traditions. Trump outmatched him, and his whole shtick put Comey on the defensive. He rose slowly, and imperfectly, to the task. He says that Sessions was overmatched by his job. I think that same charge holds true for Comey. We needed someone with better street fighting skills in the Oval and in the residence during that dinner. Someone who identified the shifting sands more quickly and put a stop to things earlier, figured out a way to protect himself and the FBI from the predator that strikes from above. 

I cannot fault Comey for honorable and ethical decisions, but he wants us to believe that he had no other way to handle these circumstances. I think he lacked imagination and ended up, if not being "the torture guy" as his wife called it, but as the guy who got Trump elected and then got suckered into a personal relationship with a mafia don despite his misgivings. He got revealed as an amateur by a slick operator. I've ended up feeling sorry for him, which is something that is the kiss of death for a Director of the FBI.

I actually agree with most of that

He also came across as petty with his comments about Trumps hair  “I think it was his real hair because i made sure to look”.  Then he added his skin had an orange color  and  the small hands comment   Seriously the former director of the FBI was already demeaning the president of the United States, in his mind on his first visit.   Then the whole I was trying to blend with the drapes routine.  Lots of people in that room why would you fear to greet the president of the United States.  Common protocol requires that 

It was never going to work between the two of them  

He is also selling a book.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nevermind Syria and the never-ending wars in ME.

I'm concerned about tie length issue and who's dressing the POTUS? He should know better!

And then there are those goddamn tanning booth lines! WTF, can't he find some goggles that fit better? 

We are waiting for some answers, Mr. POTUS.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad Comey has no political aspirations,    Assuming the Republicans don’t arrest him for disloyalty to the party leader, they should run him for office.    I still think he was played into a double standard, not disclosing the FBI investigation of the Trump campaign even while the Email reinvestigation was public.   His name was publically attached to the Clinton investigation after his press conference, but he could remain silent about the Russians flipping General Flynn.    I am satisfied it was an error of judgement, not deception.   It’s unusual to read a Washington critter talk convincingly of truth, ethics and morality.    Usually they substitute religion as close enough.    It was a good read.  

Most importantly, we now know the POTUS doesn’t have small hands.  

 

Quoted:    

There is the rule of law. There is integrity. Those things matter before any fights about policies. And people who tell themselves, "Well, yes, Donald Trump is unethical but I'm getting the right Supreme Court justice or the right regulatory rollback," are kidding themselves because if we lose that tether to the truth, if that stops being the norm at the heart of our public life, what are we?

Where are we as a country? So I worry sometimes people think I'm talking about politics. Not in the way we normally talk about in this country. But I hope in the most important way. Values matter. This president does not reflect the values of this country.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TMSAIL said:

I actually agree with most of that

He also came across as petty with his comments about Trumps hair  “I think it was his real hair because i made sure to look”.  Then he added his skin had an orange color  and  the small hands comment   Seriously the former director of the FBI was already demeaning the president of the United States, in his mind on his first visit.   Then the whole I was trying to blend with the drapes routine.  Lots of people in that room why would you fear to greet the president of the United States.  Common protocol requires that 

It was never going to work between the two of them  

He is also selling a book.  

Whatever happened to guys carrying around a resignation letter with them at all times to deal with the kind of bullshit the Trumps of the world dish out?  

Comey seemed gobsmacked by Trump.  

I guess that makes Comey an idealist?

Who said something to the effect that any man with the skill to become president shouldn’t be allowed to be president?  We depend on idealists with skills to protect us, to advance us, and then watch with glee as they are destroyed, eaten alive.  It’s too often about regression to the mean.....

and so it goes-

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A man too passionate about integrity makes a great politician but a not so good spook.

I found his fumbling at trumps questions  on the excuse he did not wish the FBI to be seen as going after the President and setting a bad tone as somewhat weak..still..he makes a good point..could you face the two doors and choose?

All in all a pretty hard and I think honest interview..I hope there are tapes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phillysailor said:

First off, the phrases "nothing new" and "just Comeys personal feelings" are attempts to minimize the professional judgement of a very senior member of our law enforcement system with decades of experience dealing with, among other groups, La costra nostra. His opinion, while not the opinion of the FBI, speaks to a wealth of knowledge you do not have. So, your opinion is more correctly minimized than that of Director Comeys.

Secondly, the firing of Comey, in context, was obstruction of justice. It was also carried out in a petty & vindictive fashion.

Comey has concluded that the President of the United States is not morally fit to be president. Furthermore, he identifies specific, if small, lies told to the Director of the FBI. Not big substantive lies on issues of importance, but our president established a pattern of lying which go beyond "Comeys personal feelings." These substantiate Comey's charge that the President is unfit. As he said earlier in the interview, lying to the FBI is a crime, and Trump did that from nearly the beginning. 

I think Comey stood tall and was a bulwark against people who operated within the confines of the law and historical traditions. Trump outmatched him, and his whole shtick put Comey on the defensive. He rose slowly, and imperfectly, to the task. He says that Sessions was overmatched by his job. I think that same charge holds true for Comey. We needed someone with better street fighting skills in the Oval and in the residence during that dinner. Someone who identified the shifting sands more quickly and put a stop to things earlier, figured out a way to protect himself and the FBI from the predator that strikes from above. 

I cannot fault Comey for honorable and ethical decisions, but he wants us to believe that he had no other way to handle these circumstances. I think he lacked imagination and ended up, if not being "the torture guy" as his wife called it, but as the guy who got Trump elected and then got suckered into a personal relationship with a mafia don despite his misgivings. He got revealed as an amateur by a slick operator. I've ended up feeling sorry for him, which is something that is the kiss of death for a Director of the FBI.

It’s always easy too overlook  the fact that someone is selling books, and stands to make a small fortune off the book sales....

always follow the money.....

a dull and boring book wouldn’t sell...... A controversial, back stage look, with lots of omg, and with any kind of dirt involved,  will sell....

The American market will lap this up. 

someone appears too be cashing in or out. Lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Keith said:

It’s always easy too overlook  the fact that someone is selling books, and stands to make a small fortune off the book sales....

always follow the money.....

a dull and boring book wouldn’t sell...... A controversial, back stage look, with lots of omg, and with any kind of dirt involved,  will sell....

The American market will lap this up. 

someone appears too be cashing in or out. Lol 

don't be such a cynic...essentially his message seems to be one of how Trump is eroding "American Values" 

I could be equally cynical and say "what values?"

What's the best way to get a message across to a jaded and weary audience? (sell it with sex of course)

Next you'll be saying the bible was written with a prophet motive! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

don't be such a cynic...essentially his message seems to be one of how Trump is eroding "American Values" 

I could be equally cynical and say "what values?"

What's the best way to get a message across to a jaded and weary audience? (sell it with sex of course)

Next you'll be saying the bible was written with a prophet motive! 

I can see what you did there.:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phillysailor said:

First off, the phrases "nothing new" and "just Comeys personal feelings" are attempts to minimize the professional judgement of a very senior member of our law enforcement system with decades of experience dealing with, among other groups, La costra nostra. His opinion, while not the opinion of the FBI, speaks to a wealth of knowledge you do not have. So, your opinion is more correctly minimized than that of Director Comeys.

Secondly, the firing of Comey, in context, was obstruction of justice. It was also carried out in a petty & vindictive fashion.

Comey has concluded that the President of the United States is not morally fit to be president. Furthermore, he identifies specific, if small, lies told to the Director of the FBI. Not big substantive lies on issues of importance, but our president established a pattern of lying which go beyond "Comeys personal feelings." These substantiate Comey's charge that the President is unfit. As he said earlier in the interview, lying to the FBI is a crime, and Trump did that from nearly the beginning. 

I think Comey stood tall and was a bulwark against people who operated within the confines of the law and historical traditions. Trump outmatched him, and his whole shtick put Comey on the defensive. He rose slowly, and imperfectly, to the task. He says that Sessions was overmatched by his job. I think that same charge holds true for Comey. We needed someone with better street fighting skills in the Oval and in the residence during that dinner. Someone who identified the shifting sands more quickly and put a stop to things earlier, figured out a way to protect himself and the FBI from the predator that strikes from above. 

I cannot fault Comey for honorable and ethical decisions, but he wants us to believe that he had no other way to handle these circumstances. I think he lacked imagination and ended up, if not being "the torture guy" as his wife called it, but as the guy who got Trump elected and then got suckered into a personal relationship with a mafia don despite his misgivings. He got revealed as an amateur by a slick operator. I've ended up feeling sorry for him, which is something that is the kiss of death for a Director of the FBI.

The person  most responsible for getting Trump elected is Hillary Clinton despite Comey's efforts to shield her from the consequences of her own actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think his job gets in the way of the KISS principle.

he is saying he was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Release the new email info..Hillary takes a hit regardless of what's in the emails

Don't release it  and she wins..then it gets released after the election AND there was substance to it..she's illegitimate.

Remember that at the time they just didn't know what was in those emails.

No win situation. But he's not very good at simple explanations, too pompous.

But I believe him..why would trump say..you better hope there's no tapes, Comey  says, I hope there are tapes...then weeks later Trump  says there are no tapes..that's just weird.

Maybe their were tapes...prolly not anymore though. :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dog said:

The person  most responsible for getting Trump elected is Hillary Clinton despite Comey's efforts to shield her from the consequences of her own actions.

The first bit's true enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

A man too passionate about integrity makes a great politician but a not so good spook.

I found his fumbling at trumps questions  on the excuse he did not wish the FBI to be seen as going after the President and setting a bad tone as somewhat weak..still..he makes a good point..could you face the two doors and choose?

All in all a pretty hard and I think honest interview..I hope there are tapes.

As the head of a law enforcement agency, passion for the Truth is a good thing,   I liked his explanation on why he went after Martha Stewart.    I like the idea he felt he had to, since he busted a preacher for the same offense of lying to an investigation.   True, dealing with Putin seems to have overstretched him.   The man could deal with the mob and Cheney, but was gobsmacked by Trump.   Or truly was powerless to a corrupt president that demanded not only protection from the law, but to control the law.   Had Comey followed orders and exonerated Trump from the Russian hookers claim would he have been ordered to find charges to eliminate Senator Clinton next?   That doesn’t appear so improbable, after listening to the campaign speeches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not need James Comey to inform me that the Pride of the GOP is morally unfit to be President. I knew he was morally deficient the moment he mocked a disabled reporter, and denigrated John McCain’s sacrifice, and talked about Megyn’s Menstrual flow, etc. 

he is a fine role model for a generation of Republican children, but I knew that before Comey told us. He does help toblock down the obstruction case and will make a compelling witness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

though there was nothing new in the interview, it was interesting to hear of the dilemmas that an FBI operative can face..and him really punching home the concept of the necessary independence and impartiality  of the FBI.

I doubt it will get through to many though.

I often suspect that Trump himself is completely bewildered by such a concept.

Which probably went through Comeys mind when he was placed in such compromising situations.

Be like explaining the concept of a pet canary to a cat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And he's off! 

Comey drafted the Crooked Hillary exoneration long before he talked to her (lied in Congress to Senator G), then based his decisions on her poll numbers. Disgruntled, he, McCabe, and the others, committed many crimes!

2,556 replies1,762 retweets5,722 likes
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dog said:

The person  most responsible for getting Trump elected is Hillary Clinton despite Comey's efforts to shield her from the consequences of her own actions.

The bolded part above is true

 

2 hours ago, Dog said:

The person  most responsible for getting Trump elected is Hillary Clinton despite Comey's efforts to shield her from the consequences of her own actions.

The bolded part above is partisan babble. Repeating it over and over and over (and over and over and over) will not make it true

-DSK

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Amati said:
8 hours ago, TMSAIL said:

I actually agree with most of that

He also came across as petty with his comments about Trumps hair  “I think it was his real hair because i made sure to look”.  Then he added his skin had an orange color  and  the small hands comment   Seriously the former director of the FBI was already demeaning the president of the United States, in his mind on his first visit.   Then the whole I was trying to blend with the drapes routine.  Lots of people in that room why would you fear to greet the president of the United States.  Common protocol requires that 

It was never going to work between the two of them  

He is also selling a book.  

Whatever happened to guys carrying around a resignation letter with them at all times to deal with the kind of bullshit the Trumps of the world dish out?  

Comey seemed gobsmacked by Trump.  

I guess that makes Comey an idealist?

Who said something to the effect that any man with the skill to become president shouldn’t be allowed to be president?  We depend on idealists with skills to protect us, to advance us, and then watch with glee as they are destroyed, eaten alive.  It’s too often about regression to the mean.....

and so it goes-

My understanding is that it's standard practice for heads of agencies and Cabinet members to have signed, undated, resignation letters in a drawer of the President's desk.

My impressions from the Comey interview- agree that he had a personal dislike of Trump, and that it should have been obvious he was not going to be able to go on in a Trump Administration. A lot of his snarkiness may be calculated to sell more books, which is not good IMHO but maybe it's just the new reality. It certainly doesn't sink to the level of most of President Trump's shenanigans.

If Comey was coping with mob bosses then why would he be unable to cope with Trump? I'm a bit surprised that he was not wired with both camera and sound when talking with the President. Considering the level of spy devices nowadays, I damn sure would be. OTOH it's getting to the level where sound and video can be faked as easily as real recordings made.

I agree with what Comey said about the American people need to face up to the situation and vote their values..... I am more of a cynic, though, I believe that is exactly what happened already.

It may be that Comey is serving as an example that good guys sometimes do indeed finish last.

-DSK

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The bolded part above is true

 

The bolded part above is partisan babble. Repeating it over and over and over (and over and over and over) will not make it true

-DSK

Yeah right....Exoneration written months before the interviews, immunity deals given for nothing at all, evidence destroyed. Lynch was right to call it a "matter" because it was not conducted the way investigations are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dog said:

Yeah right....Exoneration written months before the interviews, immunity deals given for nothing at all, evidence destroyed. Lynch was right to call it a "matter" because it was not conducted the way investigations are. 

When you have something other than the same bullshit being screamed over and over and over and over (and over and over and over and over and over and over) on reich-wing media, get back to us. In the meantime, why don't you see if you can code up a little banner to float around your posts saying "No Collusion" that would be perfect.

-DSK

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

don't be such a cynic...essentially his message seems to be one of how Trump is eroding "American Values" 

I could be equally cynical and say "what values?"

What's the best way to get a message across to a jaded and weary audience? (sell it with sex of course)

Next you'll be saying the bible was written with a prophet motive! 

You really need to spend some time in the USA.  “American values” have been on the slide for years, it’s mirrored in the news, and the entertainment business, you’ll hear about it in american music, you’ll see it on the silver screen, you’ll see it on you tube, and on the giant baby sitter in every house, TV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

though there was nothing new in the interview, it was interesting to hear of the dilemmas that an FBI operative can face..and him really punching home the concept of the necessary independence and impartiality  of the FBI.

I doubt it will get through to many though.

I often suspect that Trump himself is completely bewildered by such a concept.

Which probably went through Comeys mind when he was placed in such compromising situations.

Be like explaining the concept of a pet canary to a cat. 

The thing that he gets absolutely right is at the heart of what is driving The Most Honest Man in the GOP, the Party itself, and their non-supportive supporters.  Our country depends on truth.  Comey gets that, and while his judgment in discussing an investigation publicly was terrible, he is a guy who tells the truth.  That's why folks like our canine friend will never look on Comey favorably, regardless of how much he helped the Pride of the GOP get elected, by discussing one candidates investigation but not the other.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

When you have something other than the same bullshit being screamed over and over and over and over (and over and over and over and over and over and over) on reich-wing media, get back to us. In the meantime, why don't you see if you can code up a little banner to float around your posts saying "No Collusion" that would be perfect.

-DSK

That's not bullshit. That's how the investigation matter was conducted. You wont find Mueller offering immunity for nothing, he's conducting an investigation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

My understanding is that it's standard practice for heads of agencies and Cabinet members to have signed, undated, resignation letters in a drawer of the President's desk.

My impressions from the Comey interview- agree that he had a personal dislike of Trump, and that it should have been obvious he was not going to be able to go on in a Trump Administration. A lot of his snarkiness may be calculated to sell more books, which is not good IMHO but maybe it's just the new reality. It certainly doesn't sink to the level of most of President Trump's shenanigans.

If Comey was coping with mob bosses then why would he be unable to cope with Trump? I'm a bit surprised that he was not wired with both camera and sound when talking with the President. Considering the level of spy devices nowadays, I damn sure would be. OTOH it's getting to the level where sound and video can be faked as easily as real recordings made.

I agree with what Comey said about the American people need to face up to the situation and vote their values..... I am more of a cynic, though, I believe that is exactly what happened already.

It may be that Comey is serving as an example that good guys sometimes do indeed finish last.

-DSK

There was nothing definitive that Comey could have done with either Trump or Clinton except quit- it is the genius of both Don and Hillary to create situations where conflict results in little- they fall between the cracks, becoming (as The Art of War teaches) formless.  So the only remedy may be politics, but can politics informed by morality do anything against a strategy that has so little real structure besides the emotional sell?  

A lot of Christians expired on the Cross or were fed to the Lions, a lot of Ghandi’s supporters went to jail to make this point salient, (along with millions of others)  which I think makes your last point ^, and we may be past that point in an evolving cyberPunk environment where morality means anything, only the trappings of winning (whatever that is these days) slake desire.  

Comey was screwed, as I think he said, because there was, there is, no safe place to go and sort things out.  Trump and Clinton (and Clinton and Bush 2) created a binary world at any given moment- should I stay or should I go?  Comey was screwed because everyone else ran, and left Comey to stand alone against Trump.  And Comey was a stand up guy and stayed.  For a little while, anyway.  

http://www.songtexte.com/songtext/the-clash/should-i-stay-or-should-i-go-43d23fcf.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comey fretted about the 'damned if I do, damned if I don't' dilemma he faced due to the upcoming election. What he should have done, in my view, is remove the election impact entirely from his calculus and proceed as he would have absent the election. This would be defensible I think. Let the cards fall where they may.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sean said:

Comey fretted about the 'damned if I do, damned if I don't' dilemma he faced due to the upcoming election. What he should have done, in my view, is remove the election impact entirely from his calculus and proceed as he would have absent the election. This would be defensible I think. Let the cards fall where they may.

At least in the ABC Interview he said he was trying to do exactly that.  But how?  

Obama was/is Comey’s kind of guy.  Both were wrestling with swamp gas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sean said:

Comey fretted about the 'damned if I do, damned if I don't' dilemma he faced due to the upcoming election. What he should have done, in my view, is remove the election impact entirely from his calculus and proceed as he would have absent the election. This would be defensible I think. Let the cards fall where they may.

Agreed.  It was not standard practice to discuss ongoing investigations, so he should not have discussed either.  Or he should have discussed both investigations.  I say neither.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dog said:

That's not bullshit. That's how the investigation matter was conducted. You wont find Mueller offering immunity for nothing, he's conducting an investigation.

Good.... now apply that same logic to the NO COLLUSION side of the equation..... Mueller is not offering immunity for nothing.

But it's true that you don't have anything to say on the "investigation vs matter" other than the same thing I hear being shrieked by the nuttiest of the Fox Nutball Club, pretty much every time I hear them. Which is why I consider it more yay-Repugnican blather.

Look around you and see who else is on the bus with you. If they look like idiots, fascists whackoes, and partisan shills to you, then you should either get off the bus or accept the fact that you are an idiot, a fascist whackoe, or a parisan shill.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Good.... now apply that same logic to the NO COLLUSION side of the equation..... Mueller is not offering immunity for nothing.

But it's true that you don't have anything to say on the "investigation vs matter" other than the same thing I hear being shrieked by the nuttiest of the Fox Nutball Club, pretty much every time I hear them. Which is why I consider it more yay-Repugnican blather.

Look around you and see who else is on the bus with you. If they look like idiots, fascists whackoes, and partisan shills to you, then you should either get off the bus or accept the fact that you are an idiot, a fascist whackoe, or a parisan shill.

-DSK

Get off the bus? That could lead to a fearful boredom

Thaasophobia is treatable.  But the fear is real.

So Bread and Circus.......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Agreed.  It was not standard practice to discuss ongoing investigations, so he should not have discussed either.  Or he should have discussed both investigations.  I say neither.  

He got swept in when he tried that bank shot over Giuliani. But he made other human errors as well, such as too much visbility. He more or less sat on the idea that the Russians may have turned Flynn. He fed  info to the press. Many Trump details in his book are catty.

In the end, after a blend of screwups, he tried to steer the situation per his ideals. Comey is plenty faulty, but charts a better direction than the corruption around him. IMO Comey is more an imperfect hero figure than just a book hawker... but his buddy Mueller must be disappointed at the publicity and lack of professionalism.

Times have changed. As outcasts or road kill, McCabe and Comey are not Haldeman and Erlichman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let us just quickly get to the bottom of all this Comey this and that....say 2-3 minutes waterboarding and he'll spit out the truth.... :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Let us just quickly get to the bottom of all this Comey this and that....say 2-3 minutes waterboarding and he'll spit out the truth.... :ph34r:

I think Comey was feeling like he was being water boarded.  With slime....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, learningJ24 said:

"....say 2-3 minutes waterboarding and he'll spit out the truth.... "

Can we field test this idea on the Great Cheeto?

I'm still waiting for Sean Hannity to follow through on his pledge to be waterboarded for charity.  It's going to happen right around the time that the Job Creators (hallowed be their names) get around to creating those jobs in return for tax cuts, and the Cuban Embargo finally works.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Keith said:

It’s always easy too overlook  the fact that someone is selling books, and stands to make a small fortune off the book sales....

always follow the money.....

a dull and boring book wouldn’t sell...... A controversial, back stage look, with lots of omg, and with any kind of dirt involved,  will sell....

The American market will lap this up. 

someone appears too be cashing in or out. Lol 

How the hell would anyone write a boring book that involves Trump? He's a drama queen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Comey reviews are in...

"No wonder Trump fired James ‘Judas’ Comey - I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw the egotistical, money-grabbing worm and his treacherous, disgraceful, secret-spewing book"... Piers Morgan

“Donald Trump is contagious: He turned James Comey into Donald Trump”... Karen Tumulty

“In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God, and then, on Dec. 14, 1960, I, James Comey, was born....Alexandra Petri

And conservatives didn't like it either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sean said:

Comey fretted about the 'damned if I do, damned if I don't' dilemma he faced due to the upcoming election. What he should have done, in my view, is remove the election impact entirely from his calculus and proceed as he would have absent the election. This would be defensible I think. Let the cards fall where they may.

I think that's what he said he did.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: If you knew that letter would elect Donald Trump, you'd still send it?

JAMES COMEY: I would. I would. In fact, that was a question asked by one of my best people-- a deputy general counsel in the FBI who is a very thoughtful and quiet person, who didn't speak a lot. And that-- that morning we were making that decision, she asked, "Should you consider that what you're about do to may help elect Donald Trump president?"

And I paused, and then I said, "Thank you for asking that question. That's a great question. But the answer is not for a moment because down that path lies the death of the FBI as an independent force in American life. If I ever start considering whose political fortunes will be affected by a decision, we're done. We're no longer that group in America that is apart from the partisans, and that can be trusted. We're just another player in the-- in the tribal battle."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

I think that's what he said he did.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: If you knew that letter would elect Donald Trump, you'd still send it?

JAMES COMEY: I would. I would. In fact, that was a question asked by one of my best people-- a deputy general counsel in the FBI who is a very thoughtful and quiet person, who didn't speak a lot. And that-- that morning we were making that decision, she asked, "Should you consider that what you're about do to may help elect Donald Trump president?"

And I paused, and then I said, "Thank you for asking that question. That's a great question. But the answer is not for a moment because down that path lies the death of the FBI as an independent force in American life. If I ever start considering whose political fortunes will be affected by a decision, we're done. We're no longer that group in America that is apart from the partisans, and that can be trusted. We're just another player in the-- in the tribal battle."

 

I don't know. Somebody hing about Comey's explanations seems off. Almost contradictory. Because it would leak out anyway? Why is that a reason to announce prematurely?

http://theweek.com/articles/767677/4-things-james-comey-revealed-about-hillary-clintons-email-investigation

Comey said one reason he felt it necessary to disclose the new batch of Clinton emails in late October was because he was concerned the information would leak out anyway. Stephanopoulos asked if he was "dealing with a rogue element of FBI agents and former FBI agents up in New York," and Comey said he knew there "appeared to be leaks about criminal investigation of the Clintons coming out of New York," and he "commissioned an investigation to find out" where the leaks were coming from. "I don't know what the investigation found," he added. The New York investigators have "a different culture" than the counterintelligence team in Washington, and "there'd been enough up there that I thought there was a pretty reasonable likelihood that it would leak."

4. He didn't reveal the Trump-Russia investigation because it would tip off Trump people.

Comey confirmed that the investigation into possible Trump campaign collaboration with Russia was sparked by adviser George Papadopoulos talking to an Australian diplomat, which the FBI learned about in late July, and "the FBI didn't get any information that's part of the so-called Steele dossier, as I understand it, until after that." Comey said he decided to confirm the Clinton email case because it "began with a public referral" and "we were actually investigating the candidate herself," but he declined to publicly discuss the Trump counterintelligence investigation before the election because Trump wasn't a target; "we didn't know what we had, and we didn't want to tip them off that we were looking at them."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 8:31 AM, Shortforbob said:

And he's off! 

Comey drafted the Crooked Hillary exoneration long before he talked to her (lied in Congress to Senator G), then based his decisions on her poll numbers. Disgruntled, he, McCabe, and the others, committed many crimes!

2,556 replies1,762 retweets5,722 likes
 

And we have fallen so far that so-called “Conservatives” no longer react to a president declaring a private citizen guilty of crimes before a trial by their peers.

Presidents do not declare individuals guilty without evidence. This is the mark of dictators and autocrats. 

Our presidents are expected to display the BEST example of acting within and in support of the laws of our nation.  From the moment he cried “lock her up”, this president has been at war with true conservatives, true Americans. He owns the deplorables and is a byproduct of FOX News. 

None of what I have said should be considered partisan. These are American values, American ideals. Anyone contradicting them should question their motives and the logical result of their acceptance of the dangerous precedent they are encouraging. 

“There's something unique about the United States, a sense of individual rights and freedoms, and a sense of social and civic responsibility that we contributed to so much of the world. We lost that mission in the 1980s and 1990s, when we entered a gilded age, and the culture of individualism became a culture of avarice.” George Hickenlooper
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I think that's what he said he did.

Beyond his words, Comey was factoring both politics and info, and info and politics, and the resulting public reactions. His job was to investigate, out of the limelight, like other FBI directors.

I like the guy, but he got caught up in this. He's a good man who is still screwing up IMO. He needed to STFU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew it! He’s been a democRAT all along!

 

Former FBI Director James Comey was a registered Republican for most of his life, but now he believes "the Republican Party has left me and many others."

"I just think they've lost their way and I can't be associated with it," Comey said in an interview on the ABC News podcast “Start Here,” adding that he no longer considers himself a Republican.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 8:57 AM, phillysailor said:

And we have fallen so far that so-called “Conservatives” no longer react to a president declaring a private citizen guilty of crimes before a trial by their peers.


 

Why should liberals have a monopoly on the presumption of guilt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sean said:

I knew it! He’s been a democRAT all along!

 

Former FBI Director James Comey was a registered Republican for most of his life, but now he believes "the Republican Party has left me and many others."

"I just think they've lost their way and I can't be associated with it," Comey said in an interview on the ABC News podcast “Start Here,” adding that he no longer considers himself a Republican.

So he left The Party?  Just like Dog did. 

 

Try the veal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sean said:

I knew it! He’s been a democRAT all along!

 

Former FBI Director James Comey was a registered Republican for most of his life, but now he believes "the Republican Party has left me and many others."

"I just think they've lost their way and I can't be associated with it," Comey said in an interview on the ABC News podcast “Start Here,” adding that he no longer considers himself a Republican.

Well, yeah.

But they picked up a lot of new friends, that MORE than makes up for the few who have been left behind

KKK_hate_group.jpg

It's true that these new friends are small in numbers but they are loud, and they will never never EVER stop and think about what they're really voting for..... and that's what counts!

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, yeah.

But they picked up a lot of new friends, that MORE than makes up for the few who have been left behind

KKK_hate_group.jpg

It's true that these new friends are small in numbers but they are loud, and they will never never EVER stop and think about what they're really voting for..... and that's what counts!

-DSK

bink8x.jpg

"White people are potential humans - they haven't evolved yet." 

"Hitler was a very great man."

"White people deserve to die".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dog said:

bink8x.jpg

"White people are potential humans - they haven't evolved yet." 

"Hitler was a very great man."

"White people deserve to die".

Yes, we see why you hate these scary black people.

There's one important difference, they don't go around killing people who disagree with them

Nazis murdered an American, in America, last year, and President Trump thought it was fine.

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Dog said:

bink8x.jpg

"White people are potential humans - they haven't evolved yet." 

"Hitler was a very great man."

"White people deserve to die".

I've long been aware that you aren't very smart but I never regarded you as white trash.

I see I was wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yes, we see why you hate these scary black people.

There's one important difference, they don't go around killing people who disagree with them

Nazis murdered an American, in America, last year, and President Trump thought it was fine.

-DSK

A another difference.... we have actual photographic evidence of Obama  yucking it up with a vile racist, homophobic, anti-Semite.  

Trump was bigly wrong to equate the white supremacists to those protesting white supremacy in Charlottsville but you know very well he did not hold the killing of Heather Heyer to be "fine". 

And BTW you have also not seen me express hatred for black people.  What is it with you, can you not base your arguments on reality?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've long been aware that you aren't very smart but I never regarded you as white trash.

I see I was wrong.

You musings are like lite beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dog said:

A another difference.... we have actual photographic evidence of Obama  yucking it up with a vile racist, homophobic, anti-Semite.  

Trump was bigly wrong to equate the white supremacists to those protesting white supremacy in Charlottsville but you know very well he did not say the killing of Heather Heyer was "fine". 

And BTW you have also not seen me express hatred for black people.  What is it with you, can you not base your arguments on reality?

Reality?

There we go, I knew that the old Dog-making-a-funny would return, if we were patient.

-DSK

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this