Has anybody out there had trouble splitting the power unit from the top of the leg and tray on a 4 HP 2 stoke outboard ? I have followed the manual to the letter and belted it with a hammer amongst other things and it will not split. How did you cure this problem, if you've encountered it. ??

1 hour ago, Les Collier said:

Has anybody out there had trouble splitting the power unit from the top of the leg and tray on a 4 HP 2 stoke outboard ? I have followed the manual to the letter and belted it with a hammer amongst other things and it will not split. How did you cure this problem, if you've encountered it. ??

Did that on such a one from early 1980-ies. There are some screws - if you have the manual then you have removed all (?). and then the gear handle. Actually, I had no problems at all with that part - but the lower part, the gearbox, that was not nice. 

When re-assembling and running it I realised that it is much more quiet now, maybe I had a leak in the exhaust part. There is a gasket at the bottom, it is tempting to use some kind of liquid gasket on that part which also works fine as a glue. Suggest some (careful) heat. 

//J