• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Mid

Fails

some here might recognize this one ........................:ph34r:

Thank you....

This reminds me that, from a personal point of view of the boat I crew on, maybe we ain't so bad.....!

Thanks Mid, f*cking excellent.  That first one had me laughing harder than I have in years!

I reckon I've done every one of those "manoeuvres" except the one of actually picking up the mark and sailing off with it - something to strive for.

• Like 1

Lovely stuff Mid - and these are only the ones witnessed by cameras!! Personally I wish I'd had a record of the various death rolls in my early IOR days...these taught me not to fear wipeouts! Or the nosedive of all time in a one tonner mid Molokai (at midnight) at a Clipper/Kenwood cup where a very young well known kiwi AC & RTW sailor just out of 470's asked "do we get on the keel to bring her up?".....or the crash gybe at the finish line by the boat just ahead of us last year at Geelong Week whose spinnaker draped over the committee boat, took out all the radio antennae etc and had the finisher recorders laying flat on the deck!! Bring on the drones & GoPros.

• Like 1

These are great. Thanks.

This is the best Fail Vid IMO ..."we'll be right back Jill" ILMFAO!! they never do get their shit together and "Jill"gets "rescued"actually..

This" sailing lesson"  gone completely wrong reminds me so much of  doing lessons or cruise trips and sizing up the people as they approached me at the dock and the mental notes I made of all the things that could go wrong just by looking at them. Fortunately with all the thousands my record has been  pretty good with no failures or injuries . I think by far the most hazardous has been the party barge trimaran   because totally drunk fuckers would jump off as we were cruising , Which in turn would me off so much I would literally put them in lock down telling them that if they moved I would knock them into next week   , or stand on the bowsprit like they were in the Titanic movie or nearly drown during the swim stop..and underway every single fuckn boat would cross the bow like they were on cruise control ..if you didn';t stop , you'd crunch them 

On 4/18/2018 at 1:17 PM, Airwick said:

This is my all-time favorite nosedive:

We used to do this for fun when we were kids. We'd take turns driving while the other stood on the W/W stern, pitch it under and jump...Of course the Hobie 16s weren't ours...we were in highschool working for Seaforth boat rentals in Mission Bay The boss was fair about it after he heard what we were up to...we just were banned from using the newer Hobies as punishment and could only use the most beat to death ones... still we did just about every freestyle hobie trick in the book for a school film project...fly hulls next to the beach n see how close we could get the sail above the sand w/o touching,  sorta controlled cartwheel jibes, single handed hull fly stalls..trying not to flip flying hull when someone jumps off, hang ten off the bow , surfing with a tow rope, flying hulls over buoys, boats and other obstacles...

tons of stuff

"This is the best Fail Vid IMO ..."we'll be right back Jill" ILMFAO!! they never do get their shit together and "Jill"gets "rescued"actually.."

Checked the credits at the end of the Ham It Up Vid.

Name of Foredeck crew in the drink......Jill....Freshwater!  Ya can't make this stuff up!  

• Like 1

On 17/04/2018 at 8:21 AM, Mid said:

some here might recognize this one ........................:ph34r:

Can still remember the day when that final shot was taken, was an epic day in the Solent, and even more so for the Maxi boats. They sent us out into the needles channel that day, well over 40 knots of breeze out there that day. 

Had a couple of beers with bowman and crew from Silk afterwards, fun times! :wacko::P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mad said:

Can still remember the day when that final shot was taken, was an epic day in the Solent, and even more so for the Maxi boats. They sent us out into the needles channel that day, well over 40 knots of breeze out there that day. 

Had a couple of beers with bowman and crew from Silk afterwards, fun times! :wacko::P

I heard somewhere that the bowman was actually on the bow when that shot was taken. Can you shed any light on that?

1 hour ago, Black Sox said:

I heard somewhere that the bowman was actually on the bow when that shot was taken. Can you shed any light on that?

Yes he was, went forward to quickly tidy something up and ended up pinned to the fore-deck by the water. A lot 'war stories' that afternoon in the beer tent. :lol:

8 hours ago, MikkelPetersen said:

The one offshore MOB in big waves are not for the faint of heart.

Glad that crew has their priorities straight.

6 hours ago, mad said:

That bow man must have been 15' under.

There's a shot of his head alongside the stern of the boat later in the sequence.

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Why are all the videos mirror-imaged (backwards)? One I could understand, but all of them?

Because otherwise the music would be backwards.