Sign in to follow this  
Wess

Ever paint a sail? Murder out a Laser?

Don't overthink this.  Simple question:

* Did you ever paint a sail, what did you use and did it work?

I got a beater Laser that died and I just brought back to life.  Being used in a grudge match.  A friend suggested a "3 six pack project" that would be fun for giggles and shit... "lets murder out the Laser and go for style points."  Its a shit Laser that belongs in a dumpster and I have tons of old sails so why not.  I like beer.

Plan formed is roll some black rhino liner (the stuff used in pick-up beds) on the deck, spars and boom.  Got it.  Some spare black Pettit Trinidad bottom paint brushed and lightly burnished on the hull. Got that.  And of course some florescent orange gloss rattle can paint for the foils.  Got that too.  Quick trip to APS gets me black lines.  But that leaves a white sail.  Can't have that and so the only real question left is what beer to drink while we do it...

... and what to use on the sail to make it blacked out too. 

I am thinking fabric paint??  Its got so be somewhat flexible cause the sail flogs itself while rigging and launching the boat.

Bueller?  Anyone?

Paint a big goddamned red Hammer and Sickle on it -- brings the evil global political element into it.

• Like 1

I did - I bought a cheap main from Bacons - like $20 cheap - and painted it black with a WHFS logo for a radio station contest. We used latex house paint. It worked for a day and then went to the dumpster.

• Like 2

go to an art supply and get a bottle of black ink.

it's pretty concentrated so you could dilute it...

i'd pin the sail to the wall and do some crazy spatter/splash design... 

Years ago, when we were all kids racing 110s, the Doyle brothers (Richie and Robbie) had a main that must have had bottom paint spilled on it while folded, it was like a big, dark-crimson (say Woolsey Vinelast ) Rorschach red ink-blot test.  They regularly beat the rest of us handily with it, so didn't seem to hurt any..

2 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

yes Jackson Pollack the thing. 

I spay painted a kite once. (emergency measure to eliminate a sponsor logo)

Just black automotive paint, it looked terrible, but it stuck.

If you want to dye it you may have to strip any remaining coating off to get it to take the dye.

Black Ink or dye. Flexseal and latex paint are too heavy.  Slap this on it:

orig_444925.jpg

Tie dye is the only option I’d you want to go out ugly in any serious fashion.

You’ll definitely look crazy and you just might start a fashion trend!

pics or it didn't happen

3 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I did - I bought a cheap main from Bacons - like $20 cheap - and painted it black with a WHFS logo for a radio station contest. We used latex house paint. It worked for a day and then went to the dumpster.

wow, WHFS, that's old school...miss that station

It hasn’t happened yet, bumpy!

Also Wess, you could get a big tub filled with old rusty nails or any thing that can rust quickly, fill with water and wait for your own rust stain formula to develop.You could then soak the sail in that and get a truly horrific offense to the ocular senses. Don’t forget the dried in grass stains and the mud...

CB1C1D1D-5A85-4A8F-BD7D-AB49924248CA.jpeg

3 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

I just figured out the dirty version of their station ID

One of the demo tricks we used when selling the Ace brand acrylic latex paint Clark+Kensington was to paint wax paper and roll it up when dry. That stuff sticks to everything.

Go to any old auto parts store. They have upholstery spray paint that’ll stay light and flexible. 

5 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

Oh, also get some red and go all Ralph Steadman on it. . .

They use latex paint for wooden aircraft that are covered in dacron. I have used this to paint on sun covers to furling jibs. works well, doesn't last forever but easy to repair

6 hours ago, avenger79 said:

wouldn't it be easier to dye it? 

I've suggested Wess diet for a while now....so far, he refuses.

6 hours ago, freewheelin said:

We painted the entire sail black, painted the WHFS logo on, and cruised all around the boat show filming it. We got 2nd or 3rd I think.640?cb=20150614231614

• Like 1

i used tempura paints to paint surfboard foam before glassing. its water based and really light , bought at michaels and used a sprayer. that might work.

I have a storm jib painted with some cheap orange shit by the PO.

Every time I drag it out it leaves orange paint flakes over the whole boat. 

1 hour ago, polar said:

I have a storm jib painted with some cheap orange shit by the PO.

Every time I drag it out it leaves orange paint flakes over the whole boat. 

Bonus.

Thanks very much for all the ideas and input folks. And yes I will post pic if the project is undertaken and completed @Bump-n-Grind.  I would not mind trashing an old sail but am wondering if I am going to wreck a good beater off the beach Laser.  Definitely no tie dye, Jackson Pollack, political statement or skulls.  Sorry @bplipschitz, @Ajax, @Caferacer59 and @Sail4beer.  Just murdered out black if it gets done.  I am even opposed to the orange foils.  Matte black. 

Problem is the boat lives on a dinghy rack at the house and has to go (single-handed) from the rack to the ground, get flipped, dragged onto the dolly, back off the dolly and run up on the beach for rigging... and of course all reversed coming back out. The hull paint job is going to get pretty beat up by the beach and dolly and ground, and the deck by the rack... pretty fast. 

It does have appeal for the grudge match race though.  The problem is I have to live with it afterwards.

17 hours ago, BeerDidClam said:

I've suggested Wess diet for a while now....so far, he refuses.

F*ucker!  Nice!!  Made me laugh with that you Snaggie wannbe.  Too much truth.

Anyway, Isso slow but yes this would make my Laser heavy.  The @kbcH20 approach of all carbon and blue flames is a true diet job but beyond my limited skills and would violate the spirit of the race.

Sinko d Isso day fast approaches.

And I have a half way idea for the murdered out aesthetics.

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Just murdered out black if it gets done.  I am even opposed to the orange foils.  Matte black. .

Now we know who you are...

6537A3E4-6BB0-4A9F-9D44-26730DDC07D0.jpeg

this your theme?

Homeport: Faber College

image.png.cfdaf293ec35292dca0ce1372e301eca.png

On 4/17/2018 at 9:44 AM, Bump-n-Grind said:

pics or it didn't happen

+1

On 4/17/2018 at 5:55 AM, Wess said:

Don't overthink this.  Simple question:

* Did you ever paint a sail, what did you use and did it work?

I got a beater Laser that died and I just brought back to life.  Being used in a grudge match.  A friend suggested a "3 six pack project" that would be fun for giggles and shit... "lets murder out the Laser and go for style points."  Its a shit Laser that belongs in a dumpster and I have tons of old sails so why not.  I like beer.

Plan formed is roll some black rhino liner (the stuff used in pick-up beds) on the deck, spars and boom.  Got it.  Some spare black Pettit Trinidad bottom paint brushed and lightly burnished on the hull. Got that.  And of course some florescent orange gloss rattle can paint for the foils.  Got that too.  Quick trip to APS gets me black lines.  But that leaves a white sail.  Can't have that and so the only real question left is what beer to drink while we do it...

... and what to use on the sail to make it blacked out too. 

I am thinking fabric paint??  Its got so be somewhat flexible cause the sail flogs itself while rigging and launching the boat.

Bueller?  Anyone?

home depot 4 a roll of black visqueen

grab yer Mom's iron and make sum 3DL sails out of yer old rags 

Turkey fryer and some specialty die, with vinegar as the acid did the trick. Not exactly airtight, but she looks good!

tiedye.jpg

• Like 1

OMG @Roller Skates.  What were you going for there?

I tried black dye on a top test section of an old sail and it came out kinda greyish and blotchy.  So I bailed on the full blackout idea and just stuck with a below the gunwales cosmetic repairs and made an ugly boat slightly less ugly (or more so depending on your POV, LOL).

black orange laser.jpg

On 4/23/2018 at 12:18 PM, DA-WOODY said:

home depot 4 a roll of black visqueen

grab yer Mom's iron and make sum 3DL sails out of yer old rags 

What is this sorcery you speak of?!?!

15 minutes ago, Aqua Logic said:

What is this sorcery you speak of?!?!

You end up with a string sail, polyester string with a polyethylene skin.

For some reason the major sail makers don't consider this material option even though it would be a lot less expensive than carbon string and mylar skins :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

You end up with a string sail, polyester string with a polyethylene skin.

For some reason the major sail makers don't consider this material option even though it would be a lot less expensive than carbon string and mylar skins :)

Tres interesante!!!

1 minute ago, Aqua Logic said:

Tres interesante!!!

There may even be a business opportunity for a recycled sailcloth made from old laser sails laminated with visqueen.

Da-Woody has 12 months to patent this for US. But maybe we can partner for a kickstarter campaign?

There are surely people dumb enough to hand over cash for this.......

• Like 1