zks7

Martin 243 Delrins: Need some?

My Delrins are shot. I pulled them off my Martin 243 #9. There are 3 pieces: keel, top hull, and bottom hull. The top hull set was in many pieces. It seems like the prior owner sailed many times with the top keel piece out of the slot. It worked in motion, wearing away against the top hull Delrin. It was not secure. The lower hull/bottom Delrin piece was partially pushed out away from the bottom and deformed (at the bottom pin). After spending a lot of time pulling them out and cleaning their mounting locations, they have been sent to an acrylic craftsman. I could have several sets made if anyone is interested? PM me if you are interested or think you will be. They are still under construction. They are to be completed by Thursday 4/19/18. I will be taking the boat over Wednesday, the 18th, for more final fitting. We may make some templates for anyone in the future, or we may make another set as a spare. Just thinking about it. We do not know what the cost is yet. I have no fiduciary relationship with the craftsman. If you are interested in contacting him directly I will be happy to pass the connection along. He is located in San Jose CA (the cost of living here is higher in San Jose than other places, cost aka labor rates, might be higher than your location).

probably just the term the guy uses to describe his craft, but just in case... acrylic ≠ delrin

Yup, just what the Melges guys call the stuff. Old habit. The white stuff...

Delrin is trademarked by Dupont? They said it costs more. The other stuff works just fine.

On 19/04/2018 at 12:27 PM, zks7 said:

What is UHMW?

UHMW =Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene

Received the price for a set of Delrins = $250 (plus shipping). 

Let me know if you need them? They were produced on a digital machine so the reproduction is true. There was some hand work on the edges, and they come without holes for installation. They fit my boat without a lot of adjustment. They are very tight and do not wobble. The bottom Delrin was in two pieces allowing installation without taking the keel out off the boat. The boat feels solid and everything seems secure - no keel movement. We were humming along into the mid teens for our first sail under kite and close reaching white sail reaching.

Thanks Laker.

These lasted 20 years. I asked the first/only owner if he ever replaced them: “No, why?”.

I got the upper deck set in small pieces. The prior set was beat up, abused, and allowed to work while deployed improperly. So sun was the least of the issues.

The next set will likely be around after I am dead.