Sign in to follow this  
khil

What Paint to Use?

Looking to repaint my new to me Lightning in the near future. Any recommendations on what to use?Looking for something that is light and will sand/polish well. Will probably end up spraying the paint on. The boat is dry sailed. Thanks. 

if your an amateur, single pack acrylic automotive paint is easy to spray, and you can add some clear over the top for extra protection. You need to buff it after spraying. If you know what you are doing or don't care about your health, a two pack polyurethane is pretty good and you wont need to polish it afterwards.

I rolled, tipped, wet sanded and polished Interlux Brightside on my Lightning. It was inexpensive and turned out great. I've always regretted selling that boat.

I've done a few small boats and parts like foils and masts.  While Brightside and similar are fine, and easy to use, they don't last anywhere near as long (or look anywhere near as good) as two-parts like Perfection or Awlgrip.  If you're going to do all that prep, you might as well use the good stuff.

Russel Brown has an e-book on rolling Perfection.  I've rolled and tipped it and can vouch for the results.  No reason to spray, which is good because it's horribly toxic.

I went through high school with Awlgrip splattered on my eyeglasses, from painting my Laser boards -- almost 40 years ago!

Thumbs up for Perfection, it's our hands down fav for hulls to masts, and rolling and tipping is very easy and looks pretty darn good.

Greg

Whichever catalyzed paint you end up using: if you spray be sure you have a remote air supply to your face mask, if you decide to roll and tip, you can avoid the tipping part by using a Wooster Red Feather roller cover. Thin the paint a little more than you would for spraying and apply multiple coats. By the time you get to the third coat you will have the technique down. The Red Feather covers are hard to find locally but are readily available online, and at a better price. You won't be able to tell that it wasn't sprayed.

I used Brightsides on the girls' Blue Jay topsides.  Looked great... for about a season.  2-part poly that I rolled & tipped on our J/36 deck looked good for more than 10 years and is only now (12 years)due for another application. Decks get a lot more abuse than topsides. Prep for either paint is essentially the same.  It makes sense to go with something that means less work in the long run.  

I refurbished my companionway board last year and used TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside Paint from Jamestown Distributors. It's one part. I brushed it on and was amazed by how good it looked. Here's their description:

TotalBoat Wet Edge is a one-part, high-gloss polyurethane topside finish. This thick, rich topside paint is easy to apply and has excellent coverage characteristics. Advanced UV stabilizers ensure high gloss and color retention. Choose from 21 popular colors in quarts or gallons.
Wet Edge is easy to clean, resists staining, & has incredible abrasion resistance. Our unique urethane formula provides superior adhesion and flexibility, allowing the natural expansion and contraction of your boat's hull without causing the finish to lift or crack. Elasticity provides longer life and increased durability over leading marine one-part enamels.

Brush or spray on fiberglass, wood, or previously painted surfaces above the waterline. For best results, prepare surfaces with TotalBoat Topside Primer.

Select colors are now available in pints, perfect for boot stripes.

Just remember if you want to paint over an already painted surface the wonder two part miracle paints don't like going over single part paints or primers.  Or so I'm told

I too want to paint a dinghy but it was already painted with Brightside. Warned against using Perfection over it.

+1 for perfection if you don't have access to a spray rig (or the skillz). I've had great results with rolling it on and it's pretty durable.

Did our mast with Perfection, came up a treat with microfiber roller.

14 hours ago, lahana said:

Did our mast with Perfection, came up a treat with microfiber roller.

Did you tip it too or just roll? 

I have a mast to do.