Sign in to follow this  
B.J. Porter

What's Australian for "Polysulfide Sealant"?

I've been a big fan of BoatLife's Lifecalk for a general "coat your bedding screws in it before you put them in the deck" sealant.

I'm installing some new hatches, and am planning to use Butyl tape to bed them, which should do well for sealing.

But the new hatches likely won't like up screw for screw with the old ones (different makes), and I'll likely need to 1) fill up a few holes with goo before I cover them with hatch and 2) drive in new screws through the deck and seal them. Typically before screwing anything into the deck I'd dip the screw in a bit of sealant first.

My supply of LifeCalk is now years old and mostly gone and pretty much dried out. So I need to find something here in Oz that is the equivalent for this function. Obviously I need something that seals without creating monster bond strength for this.

My thoughts are:

1. SikaFlex 291i
  2. Something called FixTech MSP15 FixSeal

Are these similar products to the polyurethane LifeCalk I've known and loved? Any better choices?

Just thought I'd check in before I started gooing shit down, since I don't own a Sawzall...

17 minutes ago, Mid said:

291 though...

I learned through reading that there are some not so subtle differences between the bond strength of 291 and 292. Which seems like really stupid branding BTW.

I've never found a polysulphide sealant here in Oz; a Sika product is probably your best bet. Whitworths has a good range, at reasonable (for Oz) prices.

6 hours ago, IStream said:

Just curious, why aren't you filling the old holes with epoxy?

Because I haven't thought that far ahead yet...

fill holes with epoxy, countersink holes prior to butyl tape and if poss pre drill and seal screw holes with epoxy too

sika also make a butyl sealant in a tube