full circle

2018 congressional cup

Working for me.

Wish I was on the Belmont Pier enjoying a BBQ brisket sandwich and a cold brew instead of watching from my computer 1,300 miles away!!

Looks like there are actually two feeds. One is a controllable 360 degree camera on the pier with ambient sound and the other includes drone, telephoto shots from the pier and commentary. Great watching!

Deano in the lead after day one with no losses. Funny that he had to qualify for the Con Cup by winning the Flicker Cup last weekend. 

I’m so old I remember when it was sailed in Cal 40’s

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 5:14 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Ficker, not Flicker...

Flicker, Ficker, Fucker. It's all the same to me since they misplaced my invitation.

Anyway, the racing yesterday was simply awesome. Action so close to the pier that a light post came crashing into the water when one boat got a little close during the prestart.

And boats sailing backwards at 4 knots, rail to rail.

Then there was the the final flight when Deano tee-bones his competitor and still wins the race.

Seven more races today. 

Hopping on the bike in about an hour to head for the festivities.  Can't wait.

Races started (?) @ 11:30 but the website is just playing music  .  .  .

On 4/18/2018 at 3:03 PM, Somebody Else said:

Working for me.

Wish I was on the Belmont Pier enjoying a BBQ brisket sandwich and a cold brew instead of watching from my computer 1,300 miles away!!

Me Too

except for the 1,300 miles part but still much the same

7 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Races started (?) @ 11:30 but the website is just playing music  .  .  .

Only blowin' 5kn at Belmont Shore; maybe a postponement until the wind picks up.

• Like 1

Surprised to see adjustable spin pole tracks on the mast;  back in the early nineties when I raced on them the inboard end of the pole was a fixed ring.

Yeah, the Con Cup is OK. Not really worth mentioning on the FP. But how about that Charleston Fort 2 Battery race? Wow. Kite Boarders sailing (do they really call it that?) in a straight line for 6 miles. Fuck Yeah! That's what it's all about people!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 3:03 PM, Somebody Else said:

Working for me.

Watched from Belmont Pier, Wednesday. Cool and breezy?  Beef brisket sandwich at the Busy Bee in San Pedro today.  Urp!

• Like 1

My brother sends me text messages with piccs from the pier yesterday while we were racing the Hospice Cup. Hope to get there one of these days. Looks like its going to be Canfield/Barker for the cup.

Finals on NOW: Canfield passes Barker in the last couple hundred yards to take Race 1. 

Breeze is up. Race 2 to start in a few mins. Cameras now on the sterns of the two finalist. Live coverage is awesome. 

Hutchison was shocking under pressure, none of those calls were Barkers. Not quite sure why people have so much faith in him. guys commentating laughing there arse off..........................

Barker dominant thru the prelims and falls short in the final.  Again.  he's gotta be getting tired of that pattern

On the bright side, best coverage EVER, and it was great to hear Steve chiming in.

In the finals, Deano starts on Canfield's windward hip. 

Tucker Thompson: I don't think he can live there much longer. Are we gonna see a split?

Kiwi Commentator: Like a bag of cats at a greyhound match, Tucker. 

Silence as Tucker wraps his head around the metaphor. Then snorts of laughter all around.

Coming up with shit like that is what being a "color man" is all about.

• Like 3

Yeah, Leo and Wiljohn were a riot with those one liners. Tucker kept claiming Leo was getting off his phone from texts.