martin.langhoff

Alternative to sewing canvas and laminate

I recently got some uv-blocking canvas from sailrite, with the intent of making 3 quick and dirty covers: boom, tiller ext, Spinnaker chute. All on an 18f beachcat that sits in the Florida sun.

Tried gaffer tape and 3m sticky Velcro. They just don't hold. Are there any good quick, simple alternatives? 

There's a local workshop where I can pay for a couple hs access to an industrial sewing machine. I'm trying to avoid it...

I'm also about to make a spi chute bag with laminate, and wondering the same. The laminate seems more friendly to sticky tape, but still...

Seam tape, but a lot cheaper to sew it.

Sew it, or find someone to sew for you. I scored a White sewing machine for $50 last fall. Same bobbin carriage as the Sailrite, just no walking foot. For the projects you are talking about, this style machine is perfect. Handles VS-92 thread perfectly.

I also use seam tape, but that is to layout the shape, even in laminate sails (not 3DL etc.) it still gets sewed, as the tape can peel.

Other tapes may last a good long while but stitching will last the life of the fabric, or at least half the life. I will say you may want to consider the PTFE lifetime thread, the Florida sun is harsh.

There is a 2-sided carpet tape meant to adhere astroturf to patios that might work. 1.5" width is about $10 for a roll at Home Depot. The tarp sail weirdos use it to build sails. If it lets go of the fabric it will grip tight to your boat for sure. Maybe back the "seams" with a few pressed grommets.

20180421_085507.jpg

Sew it.  Find an old machine on Craigslist that looks like it's totally made out of metal and learn how to use it.  I've sewn the very items you speak of, and have plans for even more stuff.  Once you learn how, you'll be amazed how simple it is to whip together a pocket sheet bag or whatever you need.

And, you can say that they are custom made.

I look for good deals on Sunbrella knock-offs (weathermax) on Ebay, and take it from there.  The Weathermax seems to be holding up very well.

Waiting patiently for Dr Sails, to see if it sticks on canvas.

On laminate, the 3M self-adhesive velcro tape is working, you can see the chute bag, from a yard of laminate from sailrite, here -