Sign in to follow this  
Rasputin22

Surf Anarchy

39 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Two breaks I never, ever, even in my youngest, fittest, wildest youth would have found remotely fun to surf... Mavericks and Shipsterns. They're painful to even watch. I just don't get them.

BTW, that clip where Slater falls off, finds his board, gets back up and exits the tube was awe fucking some!

Never seen anyone pull that off , much less stuffed in at Pipe.  Slats throwin’ some for the young bucks to chew on.

Mavs somehow seems doable to about 25’ and after that?   No way.

Shipsterns is psycho.   Wouldn’t want any part of that pit.

7 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Never seen anyone pull that off , much less stuffed in at Pipe.  Slats throwin’ some for the young bucks to chew on.

Mavs somehow seems doable to about 25’ and after that?   No way.

Shipsterns is psycho.   Wouldn’t want any part of that pit.

It's just the color of Mavs that turns me off. Always muddy brown, always a cold gray sky and full boots and gloves temps. Oh, and the long assed paddle out.

Yah, sat up on the bluff one time watching the paddle out. Peak shifts and you’re in for some crazy sheit just getting out.

MSGA

Mavericks Sharks Great Again

I stumbled across this nicely done surf flick for the mainstream on NetFlix a couple of nights ago. Pretty good job of showing the surfer lifestyle and dedication without getting too cliche. I don't remember any surf chicks getting freaky with asphixiation though. 

Added that to my Queue, thanks.

Along the same lines, and another Aussie flick, is Drift.

Gotta love a film named after my boat!

On 12/18/2018 at 3:38 PM, Point Break said:

I can’t even imagine what taking off on that monster is like.

Can you imagine what falling is like?

When that happens, it becomes clear who really rules the waves, and it's not surfers. It's jet skiers.

F'in privacy settings. Worth watching on Vimeo and anyone who disagrees with me, just let me know what kind of boat you'd be happy to see if you were that guy.

Serious skillz and ballz from both of those guys. I note with amusement that the really good driver who actually got the guy appears to have no PFD of any kind.

I'm amazed that those Jet Skis can get any traction in such aerated waters especially from a dead stop after the poor surfer barely manages to crawl on the sled. Talk about last second to gun the motor. Great work by the rescue guys. It looks like the rescue driver has lots of protective padding under that white pullover and may even have one of the inflatable vests the riders wear. No helmet is a bigger surprize to me.  

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

I'm amazed that those Jet Skis can get any traction in such aerated waters especially from a dead stop after the poor surfer barely manages to crawl on the sled. Talk about last second to gun the motor. Great work by the rescue guys. It looks like the rescue driver has lots of protective padding under that white pullover and may even have one of the inflatable vests the riders wear. No helmet is a bigger surprize to me.  

I'd pay big bucks to get an hour on one of those sleds in big waves...

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I was guessing there's a wetsuit under that white suit. Why wear an inflatable under clothing? Undressing didn't look like a possibility in those conditions.

A white suit? In white foam? So he can stand out, I guess. Whatever, that guy was GOOD and that's one lucky surfer he was that good.

2 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I'd pay big bucks to get an hour on one of those sleds in big waves...

What he's doing is very dangerous but the reason people can get as good as he is may shock sailors: jet ski's are fun to drive! You don't even need life-threatening conditions to make them entertaining, just any old waves will do, or even flat water if you're creative.

Jet Ski was the trademarked name for Kawasaki early in this market. They were indeed much more like a ski with a tiller like arm with the handlebars at the end. They were much narrower and ridden mostly standing up. Far cry from the 1200cc monsters used in the surf. Yamaha Wave Rider seems to dominate the market with lots of aftermarket additions to better the use in surf rescue. 

Here is some interesting insight to owning one.

https://www.redbull.com/au-en/five-reasons-not-to-buy-jet-skis

Man overboard

Here is how not to tow.

Raimana-Ski-Barrel.jpg

1 minute ago, Rasputin22 said:

Jet Ski was the trademarked name for Kawasaki early in this market.

Yeah, I still call Goliath Groupers "Jewfish" and call Mahi-rado's "Dolphins" too. Besides, if I call them waveriders instead of jetskiers, people will think I'm talking about surfers.

That guy in the video you posted almost made it. A second earlier and he would have made it easily. DOH!

I liked how it ended: anguished groan then a jetskier heading out across white foam with a breaking wave behind him. F'n loons, but very talented ones.

The White Knight to the rescue once again! That wave was such an A-Frame that I don't think the 100' will hold up for the big wave title. Still got to hand it to the guy for letting go a the tow rope. Talk about commitment, when you still are holding on to the tow rope from the JetSki/WaveRunner you can still get pulled out of harms way. Once you let go you are all on your own! Nice to know that your tow guy is still on the job and watching your every move and positioning himself to come in like an Angel of Mercy to save your ass. 

• Like 1

Those maps are out there, you just have to look. I'll see what I can find. Black's Beach in San Diego is another good example of how a sub sea canyon can funnel the energy and focus in on a narrow target making the wave much more powerful and higher than anywhere on either side for many miles. 

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Those maps are out there, you just have to look. I'll see what I can find. Black's Beach in San Diego is another good example of how a sub sea canyon can funnel the energy and focus in on a narrow target making the wave much more powerful and higher than anywhere on either side for many miles. 

https://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/news/press/2007/pr041607_items.html

I was there Oct 2016 and missed 18-20' by a few days...climbed the bluff took some pics and grab a few souvenir rocks 

Am I the only guy that remembers a SoCal radio spot, circa late 1970s where a very New York Jewish mother sounding lady is talking about buying a Kowalski Jetski for her son? It was hilarious! It was back in the day when Jewish, Italian, Irish, German  and Polish jokes were not only accepted, they were expected. 

I so remember laughing my ass off hearing it on the radio driving to Trestles for a go out and thinking how no one that thinks jetskis are cool will buy one after listening to this ad.

Or was it a Dr. Demento spot? I dunno man, there were a lot of roaches  in the beanbag ashtray on my van's console back then.

24 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Am I the only guy that remembers a SoCal radio spot, circa late 1970s where a very New York Jewish mother sounding lady is talking about buying a Kowalski Jetski for her son? It was hilarious! It was back in the day when Jewish, Italian, Irish, German  and Polish jokes were not only accepted, they were expected. 

I so remember laughing my ass off hearing it on the radio driving to Trestles for a go out and thinking how no one that thinks jetskis are cool will buy one after listening to this ad.

Or was it a Dr. Demento spot? I dunno man, there were a lot of roaches  in the beanbag ashtray on my van's console back then.

Demento was on locally in LA (like 1970?) before he was syndicated while I was in the military. I listened later but thought he was on at night? I can’t recall...but he was funny. He must be an old fart now.....

49439936_10155748977546922_4236696319348965376_n.jpg

Seeing as this SA and this thread is Surf, I wonder how JJ Florence enjoyed the Sydney to Hobart race on Winning Appliances?

On 5/8/2018 at 6:34 PM, SailBlueH2O said:

OK...I'll park this vent here not wanting to start a thread...I've loved the water from as long as I can remember...earliest recollection standing on the bottom of a pool  as bubbles from my mouth floated in front of my face  as my fathers legs walked toward me after I raised my hands in a floating ring and slipped to the bottom . Fast forward...a millennial mom next door the past 3 years gives "drown proofing"  lessons to very young children, many  millennial moms have their expensive rides parked at the curb  ...maybe I don't hear the ones that don't cry in the same voice....3 years the same voice, universal cry of panic !....in any other millennial judgmental court this would be torture and marches organized for barbaric practice .... I can still feel the anxiousness waiting to be allowed back into the water...WTF are these kids going to feel the same ?...

I hear you.  I too love the water more than anything in nature (I hate mountains).  I almost drowned in a little lake with my parents sitting about 20 feet away, when I was around 2 years old.  I wasn't at all panicked, my father said I was just lying there calmly floating face down in about 2' of water.  After the initial shock, I don't think my parents made a big deal about it and in the later years it was just another family story.  I have never had any fear of the water and I was a reasonably good swimmer in my youth, having grown up on the shores of Lake Erie.

I am all for child safety but I think people nowadays overreact to many situations when it comes to kids.  Teach them common sense but don't scare the shit out of the little buggers!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 7:00 PM, Ed Lada said:

I hear you.  I too love the water more than anything in nature (I hate mountains).  I almost drowned in a little lake with my parents sitting about 20 feet away, when I was around 2 years old.  I wasn't at all panicked, my father said I was just lying there calmly floating face down in about 2' of water.  After the initial shock, I don't think my parents made a big deal about it and in the later years it was just another family story.  I have never had any fear of the water and I was a reasonably good swimmer in my youth, having grown up on the shores of Lake Erie.

I am all for child safety but I think people nowadays overreact to many situations when it comes to kids.  Teach them common sense but don't scare the shit out of the little buggers!

to teach it, one must have it in first place. and common sense is tragically not so common nowadays...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trovão said:

to teach it, one must have it in first place. and common sense is tragically not so common nowadays...

common_sense_-_so_rare_its_a_god_damn_super_power.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 10:00 AM, Ed Lada said:

My wife teaches babies (parents), toddlers a lot. She also has no problem ripping teachers that have screaming kids a new one. If they aren’t enjoying it or are scared you are doing it wrong. 

10 hours ago, VWAP said:

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article224117535.html

‘It had one of my legs in its mouth’: How surfer escaped shark attack at Montaña de Oro

Another story on this referred to the attack as     a “exploratory bite.“.  After a near bleed out and 50 stitches, pretty sure “type” of attack ain’t real important to the story.   FFS.

The 'real' bite involves a LOT of side to side head shaking, which lets the teeth cut right thru anything (almost) that's between them. So it does matter. GW are apparently very cautious about injuring themselves, so the tentative "tasting' nip is common.

2 hours ago, longy said:

The 'real' bite involves a LOT of side to side head shaking, which lets the teeth cut right thru anything (almost) that's between them. So it does matter. GW are apparently very cautious about injuring themselves, so the tentative "tasting' nip is common.

Of course but, this reads to me like a Mick Fanning story.  The kid fought/kicked with his free leg while in the jaws of that beast.  That’s some badass stuff.

Holy shit! That's a hard wave to read! 

We're going to Portugal in March. Even my wife wants to go up to Nazare' for a few days to see this.

Big days are loud......I can’t even imagine what that monster sounds like as the lip is pitching over behind you....

That shot of three waves breaking with riders and skis was insane.   That place gets more surreal everytime you see new footage like this.   

2 hours ago, Willin' said:

Holy shit! That's a hard wave to read! 

We're going to Portugal in March. Even my wife wants to go up to Nazare' for a few days to see this.

Yea, long time cutting across the top section till he dropped in.  Looks like he kept hopping down off little ramp sections to keep his speed up.   Guy took off like a rocket once he dove into the beast.

Post your trip to Nazare if you would.?  Would dig seeing the ins/outs of that trip.   Much want to do same some day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Big days are loud......I can’t even imagine what that monster sounds like as the lip is pitching over behind you....

Wonder if those guys even notice the roar?   Prolly dialed in to the drop and staying upright off the bumps.   

On 12/19/2018 at 1:28 AM, Rasputin22 said:

I stumbled across this nicely done surf flick for the mainstream on NetFlix a couple of nights ago. Pretty good job of showing the surfer lifestyle and dedication without getting too cliche. I don't remember any surf chicks getting freaky with asphixiation though. 

Yep great film. Shot just down the road from me in and around Denmark on the South Coast of WA. Glad you enjoyed it and glad it's on Netflix in the US. Shame it isn't on the Aussie version yet :(

7 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Jacuzzi Surfer with big chops on his drone work @ BIG Nazarre.  

I want to see more of what came next after some of the aborts and falls. Some looked like they were in kinda bad places for a swim with a surfboard.

How did people do it before jet ski's?

Well, as a result of this thread I've gone ahead and ordered a new Fourth Gear Flyer surf mat. I'd been thinking of building a Grain Paipo for winter use when we go south but the mat just makes so much more sense from a transport perspective. 

Got a nice personal note from the owner letting me know he's building it now and will ship it this week. Nice business model, that.

lhttp://www.surfmats.com/vespa-roundtail.html

Surfmats? I called them rafts as a kid. I had one like the Classic at the link. I jumped on it enough times that all the seams gave up and it became nearly cylindrical. Balancing on top of it got very difficult.

this is the only surf mat i know of

418njM3vpgL._SX466_.jpg

• Like 1

Getting a matt back out to the line up can be really hard - if there's no way out around the waves. 

On 1/16/2019 at 3:03 AM, dogballs Tom said:

I want to see more of what came next after some of the aborts and falls. Some looked like they were in kinda bad places for a swim with a surfboard.

How did people do it before jet ski's?

This.

I can also tell you it’s REALLY tough to swim in that much white water. All that aerated foamy soup doesn’t give much “traction” in swim motions. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Point Break said:

I can also tell you it’s REALLY tough to swim in that much white water. All that aerated foamy soup doesn’t give much “traction” in swim motions. 

The closest I have come was one day as a boy in New Smyrna Beach when a tropical storm was passing by offshore. The adults reacted by mixing gin fizzes and the kids reacted by going bodysurfing. The waves were yuge by Florida standards. I remember trying to find and ride the smallest ones and swimming very hard to get out of a rip. If we were not all on swim teams we'd have probably died.

The captioning in the video is funny. It says the jet ski can't rescue him, then it does. OK, so it could. Still leaves me wondering how this was done before they were around.

Remember the term 'waterman'?  People like Jose Angel (RIP), Titus Kinimaka and of course Eddie were watermen. They dove deep, paddled and swam hard and went when most others wouldn't. They were essentially fearless due to a lifetime doing all kinds of water activities in all kinds of conditions without support.

Watch the guys out at Nazare' sometime. In addition to ski drivers for tow and catch, they have pfds and bailout bottles. Sure they have huevos  grande, but I think they'd mostly be dead or a lot more conservative without all the gadgetry.

I think, especially in light of the proliferation of wave pools, that we may be seeing the last generation of watermen aging out right now.

4 minutes ago, Willin' said:

I think, especially in light of the proliferation of wave pools, that we may be seeing the last generation of watermen aging out right now.

I understand that view but I attended a informal lifeguard reunion (mostly Class of 76) a few years ago and the current crop of "kids" are every bit as good watermen as any (of course we didn't tell them that :lol:)......in fact there are some legitimate bad asses - men and women - in that new group. New tools but no less tough and ocean savy. The tradition of good watermen is in safe hands.

2 hours ago, Willin' said:

Remember the term 'waterman'?  People like Jose Angel (RIP), Titus Kinimaka and of course Eddie were watermen. They dove deep, paddled and swam hard and went when most others wouldn't. They were essentially fearless due to a lifetime doing all kinds of water activities in all kinds of conditions without support.

Watch the guys out at Nazare' sometime. In addition to ski drivers for tow and catch, they have pfds and bailout bottles. Sure they have huevos  grande, but I think they'd mostly be dead or a lot more conservative without all the gadgetry.

Today people are surfing spots never even thought about back then. And don't forget how Angel died - complete dis regard for decompression tables, chasing black coral. Quite a few 'watermen'  died that way off Maui chasing coral.

1 hour ago, longy said:

Today people are surfing spots never even thought about back then. And don't forget how Angel died - complete dis regard for decompression tables, chasing black coral. Quite a few 'watermen'  died that way off Maui chasing coral.

My understanding was he was free diving, but he would tie a big rock to his chest to get down in a hurry. No decompression needed, however a fundamental knowledge of good knot tying is required.

300' maybe deeper for his last dive, previously bent bad in '74, which pushed him more into diving as surfing was very difficult.  Supposedly you can't get bent free diving, not enuff time or gas in the lungs to fill the bloodstream.  All the record free dives I've seen (t-tube) are bounce dives. And below 120-150 ft even in the channels it's dark, & harvesting coral took lights, lift bags & hammer

Its important to point out some of those really big spots were not surfable until the advent of PWC & tow in surfing. Cortes is a good example. Speaking of Cortes.......check out this Nat Geo about a very unique big wave. A couple of guys who qualify as watermen here...........BTW - one of the guys is one of our firefighters now.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Point Break said:

Its important to point out some of those really big spots were not surfable until the advent of PWC & tow in surfing.

That answers my question, thanks.

Portugese coast on alert friday.   Bay Biscay 20-25’ -which scales up to ~80’ @ Nazare.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Portugese coast on alert friday.   Bay Biscay 20-25’ -which scales up to ~80’ @ Nazare.

Does not appeal to me at all....

I pulled a tick off my dog that looked like that!:D

Watching the attempts to duck dive brought a couple of smiles!

I