Bigdamdork

Floor Question

I really hate to keep asking basic questions but I'm pretty damn new to owning a sail boat and just don't know that many people who sail yet.   Thanks ahead again for any help you can offer. 

Here is my problem.  I own a 1985 Schock 35.  It's on a mooring off the Central Coast of CA.  My question is after good rains there is usually some water in the bilge. (bilges is only like 2 incehs deep.  The most I have ever pumped out is 5 gallons so nothing major.  My question is the bottom side of the floor looks to be just plain plywood with faux teak applied to the top.  So anytime my bilge gets any water in it the wood just gets soaked.  I'm working on getting a bilge pump in there (long story....I'm getting there) but in the short term what kind of wood should I put on the floor?  I like the idea of just regular plywood with the faux teak on top but not sure how I should treat the wood because it's going to be subjected to water from time to time.  The current wood in there is about 1/2" thick.  I was thinking just regular 1/2" ply with a layer of fiberglass to make it waterproof and then faux teak on top?  Is that the stupidest idea any has ever heard?  Don't be shy...I can take it.   

I dropped a picture of the inside of a Schock 35 in here so you get a perspective.  This isn't my boat....I wish it was...LOL  I'll get mine into this condition soon.   

Thanks again for any suggestions!  I really do appreciate any and all help.

schock interior II.jpg

Get a bilge pump with a float switch and haven't hooked up to your battery that also has a solar panel to recharge it. For the floorboards make sure they are coated with a good Marine epoxy, about 5 codes to get a 20 mil finish should do the trick for water Ingress Protection. She's a beautiful boat I hope she treats you well and brings you many years of enjoyment.

Mr. Dork, do you enjoy drinking wine or just tasting? :P

The water is probably coming down the mast so you ain't going to stop it.

Vegas has the right answer - I'd take the existing sole out (floors are the cross bracing for the keel) and take it home to dry out. When thoroughly dry do what Vegas said and reinstall.

Welcome to Schock 35 ownership.  

In 5 years I have never not arrived to find a bucket of water in the bilge at the galley.

The smallest Whale pump will fit.  Almost any float switch will need to be shimmed to make it trigger early.

The water needs to get out of the bilge aft through the engine area I think.

A dripless shaft seal will help quite a bit ($400).

The mast will always leak.

Great boat, mine has done absolutely everything I wanted it to.

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

Mr. Dork, do you enjoy drinking wine or just tasting? :P

Not speaking for the rest of the peanut gallery however, I prefer to swallow. What's the joy and tasting if you don't get to swallow :-)

Get your new ply floor and coat it with multiple layers of everdure or similar penetrating epoxy, then varnish it, top and bottom and especially the edges. Dont make the boards to tight or the edge treatment will wear off.

Can you refinish your existing boards?

11 hours ago, ScowVegas said:

Not speaking for the rest of the peanut gallery however, I prefer to swallow. What's the joy and tasting if you don't get to swallow :-)

Leave your personal life out of this, Scow.

take a look at the whale super sub line of pumps. Our Olson has a very shallow bilge as well and a few owners have gone to this series pump to help with exactly what you are describing. I bought one to give it a go, but haven't installed it yet. Good luck.

3 hours ago, voodoochile said:

We did our floor with this stuff a few years back. Used old floor boards for templates, covered with a textured vinyl called "deco dot".  Really light, totally impervious to water.

https://www.merrittsupply.com/product/nida-core-structural-honeycomb-plain-h8pp/

Kitchen  or bathroom? 

Anyway, water under the floors is a really bad situation. If the floors are sufficiently detached from the hull such that you can see water between them and the hull they are no linger serving their function. 

I would immediately pull this boat from the water, remove the sole, remove the floors, prepare the hull, and laminate new properly designed floors in place. 

Gouv, I believe he is talking about the cabin sole, not the floors.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Gouv, I believe he is talking about the cabin sole, not the floors.

Ya think?? 

Wouidvthat make my joke more funny, less funny, or simply an asinine comment ?

Thanks again everyone for the great advice!!  Check on "Cabin Sole" and not "Floor".  (Did I mention it was first sail boat?) We sailed yesterday on a buddies Catalina 25 for about 8 hours....I'm beat today but we had a great time.  

Oh...and swallow for sure......I mean come on....... :-) 

6 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Kitchen  or bathroom? 

Anyway, water under the floors is a really bad situation. If the floors are sufficiently detached from the hull such that you can see water between them and the hull they are no linger serving their function. 

I would immediately pull this boat from the water, remove the sole, remove the floors, prepare the hull, and laminate new properly designed floors in place. 

It's a fuckin' FLOOR you yachty bitch! Sorry, I'm a carpenter.  Sole to me is that Dee-troit music from the 60's...black guys, lotsa horn, fancy suits and dancing.  

8 hours ago, voodoochile said:

It's a fuckin' FLOOR you yachty bitch! Sorry, I'm a carpenter.  Sole to me is that Dee-troit music from the 60's...black guys, lotsa horn, fancy suits and dancing.  

If it isn’t the cabin sole in a boat it is tasty 

1FCC6A4B-362C-457A-A509-6ED46166ADE3.jpeg

2B9AC24A-D98B-4F2C-9CA4-32D32DBC0BAC.jpeg