Wet Spreaders

Fixing collision damage

We had a little on-the-water misunderstanding with another boat and ended up with a prod-shaped dent and a crack in our outer hull about 6" above the waterline and 2' forward of the transom. It's full-on racing season and I don't want to pull the boat to get it repaired - I'll do that in the fall. But I need to keep the water out of the core and another layer of duct-tape is a bit ghetto-looking. Not to mention sketchy.

Options are to bend over the back of the boat working upside down and try to squeeze goo into the crack to waterproof it without making too much of a mess. Or, I could cut a 8" dia hole in the inner glass skin, remove the balsa core, fix the crack with some glass from the inside and then put the core and inner skin back.

How hard is core usually stuck to the inner skin? Is this even a semi-reasonable idea?

Balsa core can be a bitch to cut away from the laminates (if its dry) . Foam core I'm not familiar with.  Balsa needs a chisel and patience.  And rum, lots of rum. 

If you can, I'd bring it to a dock, grind away from the outside and put a temporary patch on the outside.  Fill the removed core with whatever if it's a temp patch, even Bondo if your SURE you are going to fix it for soon.  Some West, some mat and cloth , then the patch sanded roughly to shape then either a similar colored paint or preferably gel-coat over it.

It happened to me a couple of years ago.  On July 4th. The temp patch came out so well I was tempted to leave it but over the winter I had it professionally fixed and the hull painted, the gel-coat on the whole boat was dead anyway.

Good luck.

Swing the boom out on the opposite side drop some weight on it to get the damaged area a bit higher on the water so you can work from a dinghy rather than being upside down...and squeeze your goo in with out the blood rushing to your head.

Pics would help but otherwise I'd go with Marc.

Pretty much what Marc said about getting the hull up out so you can work on it, except if you're going to that extent, grab a 14$ backing plate, a couple 36 grit fiber backed resin disc, grind a bit of a bevel with the damage at the deepest point, slap a few layers of 1.5 oz mat on it, then brush a little gelcoat on and spray it with hair spray.  Shouldn't take more than an hour.  It won't be pretty but it'll make the later repair easier than gooping it up with sealant. 

I missed the bit about plugging it with goop temporarily.

Don't do that, use resin & glass like JG said.

No matter what you do, a temporary patch is going to be ugly so don't do anything that will make a later, proper repair harder.

9 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

do a temp patch with glass and resin then get a yellow smiley face sticker to go over it 

Good idea - but I'll probably choose a frowny face because I lost the protest.

4 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Good idea - but I'll probably choose a frowny face because I lost the protest.

Is the ding on starboard? :D

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

Is the ding on starboard? :D

Nope, port. - Rule 18 left turn at leeward (steel) government mark. I was on the outside. The difference of opinion was whether it was time to turn up to close hauled, or perhaps reach around for a while. While the other party probably does appreciate a reach-around, there's a time and a place for everything and this was not good in either respect, in my opinion. But only in my opinion, apparently, because two other skippers and three IJs decided different. I'm not complaining - doing a shit job of keeping my boat (and theirs - backmarker traffic) safe on the water and a shittier job in the protest room are just more opportunities to learn. Won't make the same mistake again.

3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Nope, port. - Rule 18 left turn at leeward (steel) government mark. I was on the outside. The difference of opinion was whether it was time to turn up to close hauled, or perhaps reach around for a while. While the other party probably does appreciate a reach-around, there's a time and a place for everything and this was not good in either respect, in my opinion. But only in my opinion, apparently, because two other skippers and three IJs decided different. I'm not complaining - doing a shit job of keeping my boat (and theirs - backmarker traffic) safe on the water and a shittier job in the protest room are just more opportunities to learn. Won't make the same mistake again.

OK. Glad it wasn't a clearcut situation. I admire you for accepting your fate like a gentleman.

There is a silver aluminum tape sold for sealing house problems. It has about a 1/16 layer of black butyl as the adhesive. 

It has a peel off backing and when you place it you better get it right because it does not come loose for a second try. 

A couple layers of that stuff will get you through the summer. 

You can bitch at me when you struggle to get it off next winter but you will have sailed all summer without hurting your boat.