Sign in to follow this  
gjbike

Achievable performance- Fareast 28R downwind instrument video

This was a fun run under spinnaker with my amateur crew. On the instruments from top to bottom is SOG (GPS boatspeed), TWS, TWA, AWA, VMG, depth. On that run we maxed at 14.2 kts BS under 25kts TWS which is polar prediction for the boat. Races for that day had been cancelled earlier due to 34 kt gusts . We went out in that wind but were chicken to throw up the kite. This was later in the afternoon when it got a little more manageable. We had "controlled" broaches a few times as we pushed the limit but never had to do more than ease the main and spinnaker sheets to recover after rounding up. My experience with this boat is that it is fun, stable in all wind conditions and capable of sailing to it's polars with amateur (but experienced)  crew. (BTW this video shot with iphoneX which I find has a truly good camera)

Thanks.  The jib is a North Technora  laminate (not 3Di) that came with the boat. . The main is a carbon/technora laminate made for me by by Pires de Lima in Portugal. He is in Cascais and I am fortunate to have access to his great sails through a mutual friend.  The 3Di are heavier and would probably last longer but these are the lightest sails available and last me 3 years of year-round club racing which is good enough.  They are also much less expensive. 

15.4 with a reefed main on the lil' sister last weekend... that was GPS speed against a bit of current so probably just over 16? 16 is the max polar for 25 knots of breeze so seems right on the money for the 23 too.

sailing 1.jpg

FAREAST23R_polar.jpg

The FE28 polars are attached.  Wish I had opted to put the kite up in the morning- would have  liked to join the 20kt club which I'm pretty sure we would have hit when the wind hit 34kts! Oh well no guts -no glory!  Great shot of your FE23!5ae3f4222cdec_FE28Polars.thumb.jpg.0383af9679779a948822ad47523421f4.jpg

jeez... i clicked the wrong damn reaction button thingee... Yes Sail4beer, we WERE having 2 tons of fun!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, teleboxAUT118 said:

14.2 in 25 knots of breeze? That's impressive!

Seems pretty slow if you want to call it a sportboat.  That's like J80 territory

Not sure why these threads always have to descend into pissing matches. I have raced against J80, J92, Melges 24 , others and this boat is faster. I am adding the Melges 32 polars. In 25 kts wind it reaches 16 kts - only a little more than mine despite being an all out sportboat 4 feet longer. My point was not how fast it was but that my amateur crew could sail it to its polars. 

3EFDAAF4-8863-42A2-BA5E-CF771D4E63A1.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gjbike said:

Not sure why these threads always have to descend into pissing matches. I have raced against J80, J92, Melges 24 , others and this boat is faster. I am adding the Melges 32 polars. In 25 kts wind it reaches 16 kts - only a little more than mine despite being an all out sportboat 4 feet longer. My point was not how fast it was but that my amateur crew could sail it to its polars. 

3EFDAAF4-8863-42A2-BA5E-CF771D4E63A1.jpeg

You do know the difference between VMG and BS right?  And those M32 numbers are for sailing at max VMG angle - not max BS - and are - BTW - a bit conservative

Yes, I am well aware of the derivation of all that instrument data. I have reached VMG’s of 14. They were 12 on the video. The open circles on the FE28 polars above represent the TWA which for eachTWS gives the best VMG and are what would be printed in table form as the M32 are above. On the FE28 Fastest downwind BS for 25 kt TWS is 15.7 kt@155 TWA which would give a VMG of I’m guessing 14 or so. In real racing the difference in VPP between all these boats is less than the variability of crew performance/ boat condition/rig tune, etc ( not to mention handicapping influence) hence results such as a M32 losing to a GP26. Some boats, such as the M32 really need very experienced crew to ring out the boats capability. The point of my post was simply to show that mine doesn’t- whether it’s fast or not. 

1 hour ago, Christian said:

You do know the difference between VMG and BS right?  And those M32 numbers are for sailing at max VMG angle - not max BS - and are - BTW - a bit conservative

Damn, in 25+ our melges 24 can tickle 20.  Sometimes ends in spectacular fashion, sometimes we pucker up and make it through the puffs.

• Like 1

Wow, everyone likes to lay it on. Looks like you are going downwind with the small kite and vang off, like you said very in control and I think 14.2 is pretty respectable. If you want some advice I would keep the tack line down, kite likes to blow to leeward and heel you prematurely. 

If anyone has doubts to the performance of the boat I think the top recorded speed is currently over 22knots, we held the record for a while (in gjbike's boat actually) at 21.4knots.

The big difference with the Fareast as opposed to the Melges is that we were completely in control. I've tickled 20 in the Melges 24 before as well... like you said sometimes ends in VERY spectacular fashion. Fun though :-) 

Hi. 

With full-size class gennaker you can do 20 knots boatspeed in a FE28R at 25kn true, with great control. You need the bow to pop up by sheeting in the main with twist. With less wetted surface it just goes. 

Please stop the pissing contest. Anything over 14 knots is a lot of fun. Go sailing

Thanks!  The cabin top winch serves the halyards. There are two speed non-self tailing winches by the driver for the sheets

We hit 15 last night in ours.  Reaching around having fun before the race.  No wind instruments on the boat but the bridge nearby showed gusts to 19 when we were out there.  good times, perfectly in control with the hull humming