Sign in to follow this  
Itsabimmerthing

Carbo Foil Installation tips?

Go for a warm day if you can, otherwise have a second set of hands to roll it out as you snap it on the stay.  Harken says to lay it out to "relax" for a day or two, I've had one out on a bench for a weekend in the middle of summer, they hold their bend.  Another thing is to check how the bottom tube fits with the bottom fitting of the stay, if it doesn't have a nice flat spot you may have to cut a washer to put at the base of the stay or the bottom tube will try to spread open whenever you drop the sail.

Thanks.

Rod has conical end fitting, need to check if the flat is enough for the spacer.

Upper spacer tube of 127mm acc. to instructions, is this ok or should the spacer be shorter? 

It's pretty cold here, 8 Celsius, we'll see how the thing unfolds...  

not really. a little if your going to adjust the turnbuckle, but if not it should be pretty close.

how much slack?

10 hours ago, Itsabimmerthing said:

Should there be slack up&down when installation is completed?

If you leave enough space to remove the foil feeder it can save you some "challenges" later. 

15 hours ago, ctutmark said:

If you leave enough space to remove the foil feeder it can save you some "challenges" later. 

always leave enough space -- so you can get the feeder off after a headsail has been yanked out of the foil by a grumpy bowman on a hasty drop and you're mid-race 40nm from shore.

Thanks for all the tips :)

How abou this:

Installation manual says "measure 110 cm from deck and mark". I have 115 cm from rod bottom fitting to that 110cm mark. Spacer tube is only 100cm I think?

Bowmans out there... Any problems having feeder 95 cm from deck?

Check the boats headsails - you do not want the luff tape going up past the feeder!!

2 hours ago, Itsabimmerthing said:

Bowmans out there... Any problems having feeder 95 cm from deck?

How big and chunky/stiff are your headsails? How much space is there in the bow? Do you have enough space to tack on and feed a new headsail while one's hoisted? Do you have to allow for a cunno-type arrangement and loose tack for leeward hoists (every bowman's favourite)?

These will determine how much space you want.

Need to double check the luff tapes, i think they'll be fine. 

Measured today thst the feeder would be at 97cm from deck vs. 110 cm acc. to installation instruction. Not a big difference? 

One option is to get a longer spacer tube and install as per manual. 

Install complete. 

The feeder ended up 120cm from deck, measured along the stay, with no play up&down. I'll adjust this play to couple of cm's when I get more of the original spacer tube. 

Otherwise install was fast. The foil snapped on quite easily (unit 2 on - 22 rod) Fit of the feeder was a half scre whole off and needed to adjust the pre-drilled hole a little bit. Filed off the excess of that feeder screw to flush. 

The foil sits pretty stiff to the stay. Not light to move it up/down. Top doesn't rotate when I twist the bottom, with sail it should be no problem? I assume this will change after couple of races. 

Still need to check the foil groove bottom and probably do finishing touches with a small round file.