Hey,

I am currently sailing on a Laser and a Seascape 18. Now I want to buy a fast singlehanded foiling dinghy, just to have some fun and learn a bit about foiling. Now I don't want to spend a lot of money (<5000$). My original idea was to buy a cheap used moth, probably an older homebuilt one and gradually upgrade it with newer components (I am willing to spend some time in the workshop). Now that I´ve read a bit more on how to best get started with moth sailing, I am not sure whether this is the brightest of all of my ideas. Another option would be buying an A-Cat and upgrading it with foils later. Now as far as I know foils on A-Cats don't unfold their real potential cause of the class rule so its a foiler but not entirely and of course a moth is way easier to get from a to b via road. I have considered stuff like the UFO or WASZP (last one is a little too expensive) but I don't have a problem with things being complicating and having to figure stuff out, I would like a bit of a challenge and think that for example an UFO would get boring to quickly.

So what are your thoughts? Is 5000$ to little for what I want and should I just wait until I have more to spend? What about Moth vs A-Cat? Is there anything else out there that could be interesting for me?

Looking forward to good answers!

Ben

At $5,000, I'd think the boat would be very beat and very close to its last legs. It might spend more time(read $$$) in the shop than on the water.

What I know of an A-Cat vs Moth. A Moth is very quick to rig, easy to car top, and easy to launch. An A-Cat, though a lovely boat, is a beast. You can't rig it and walk away for lunch where you can sort of do that with a Moth laying on its side like a windsurfer. You also can't car top an A-cat without some help. The boat is VERY light but they are so large that they are just too much for one person to load on top. Thus always needing a trailer that either tilts, the boat is too wide for the road, or you have to break it down so it will fit inside the lanes.

While you're saving  your pennies, try to find a local boat and bribe the owner to allow you to take it out now and then.

Find some locals with the type of boat you choose and buy something they recomend, then spend lots of time with them so they can teach you how to sail it, maintain it and improve it. You will have to be very lucky and find a generous seller to get a decent foiler of any type for that price. Expect to spend lots of time and money doing repairs and upgrades and you will still be unlikely to have something as good as if you had spent the extra money in your initial purchase.

As others have said, Wazsps and Moths at that price range won't be all that good. And I honestly don't think you'll get bored on a UFO, at least for a couple years, so that's what I'd get.

As the UFO is OD, and seems pretty sturdy, you can probably sell it 2 years down the track at a decent price.

Grab a used Bladerider.  I'm sure there are plenty in Europe.  There are parts from Mach2 or you can get longer foils from Aardvark.  It's a great way to start.

Here's one on Facebook's Moth Buy & Sell:  Bladerider for 4,500 Euros

Sailing boats of locals would be a good idea, unfortunately I’ve never seen one on lake I sail at. So I think based on your advice I will let that be for now... However, I was looking at some moths yesterday and found some cheap offers, but I don’t know what to think of them.

#1 https://www.facebook.com/groups/399647313568164/permalink/722662727933286/?sale_post_id=722662727933286

https://www.facebook.com/groups/399647313568164/permalink/747424692123756/?sale_post_id=747424692123756

https://www.facebook.com/groups/399647313568164/permalink/707189746147251/?sale_post_id=707189746147251

https://www.facebook.com/groups/399647313568164/permalink/658139794385580/?sale_post_id=658139794385580

what do you think?

I know the two in Aust and thats probably a reasonable price in A$. I once owned #3. But it will cost you $A1000 to $A1500 to get one to europe, if the owner has a box and is willing to send it. The UK or scandinavian moths might allow you to look before you buy.

If you intend to buy a moth my clear recommendation would be to get in touch with the Austrian Moth class as a first step. http://www.mothclass.at/

They would know whether your lake is deep enough to safely foil at all. They would also know most boats for sale around you, and they are a friendly and helpful bunch of people. If money is not in abundance it is best to spend it after you got all the help and expertise you can get.

Yep contact the austrian moth class. Michael (aus president and international class secretary) is a great guy and he is very helpful