Sign in to follow this  
kurio99

Do you grease your pole?

Man, that sounded totally rude.  Seriously, do you use anything on the spinnaker pole?  Seeing some serious wear on the pole and groove on my RS700.  Been using a silicon lube spray, but suspect that is too lightweight for the job.

I wouldn't. Grease would pick up dirt and other abrasives that will make matters worse. Then a little would sluff of and coat the deck and other gear. I let someone use a windsurfer I had once. They had a lot of tanning oil. It took several washings with detergent before I could stand on the damn thing again. Stick to the spray, or if there is enough room, maybe some teflon tape.

a bit of sail tape works well in the socket

PROtect tape does it well, idk if they have rs700 stuffthough

TEFLON TAPE FROM MCMASTER CARR

if it bothers you enough you can clear coat it in a few years. Otherwise don't worry about it. Definitely don't use grease, it'll just gum up with salt and other contaminates. 

I've ordered some ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMW) tape.  The stuff is supposed to be extremely low friction.

• Like 1

UHMW tape did not stick to the tube ID. I used jap tape instead.  It has been working well.