Sign in to follow this  
MacGregor_Lover

Atomic 4 Wanted

This might be available.

Atomic Barby.jpg

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

This might be available.

Hold on there Jon, my daughter has claimed that engine.

But, to the OP, I have enough parts in my shop to build another A4, and I'll probably do it. If your Brother is in the PNW, maybe he'd be interested? And I can even paint it any color he wants (although I do have a bunch of leftover pink and teal engine paint).

On 4/24/2018 at 11:06 AM, SloopJonB said:

This might be available.

Atomic Barby.jpg

That's just wrong,

Islamic 4...err  Atomic 4's should only be gold in color otherwise they won't run at all.

What is wrong with it? I have rebuilt mine in about a week for under a grand - with no instructions...grin..

2 hours ago, See Level said:

Islamic 4...err  Atomic 4's should only be gold in color otherwise they won't run at all.

They won't run if painted gold either.

Only copper.

I'm confused to as why anyone would actually want an atomic bomb in their boat. All I have heard is they are a lot more trouble than they are worth, and this is comign from a guy that works with wooden boats.

What is it that you prefer about the diesel engine - the noise, the smell, or the cost?

Parts and knowledge about the A4 were indeed scarce until the early 1990s. But with the advent of the internet, Moyer Marine in particular, and the availability of a proper replacement Victor head gasket made of carbon instead of the cardboard nightmare that was sold for many years when asbestos went out of style, the A4 is a simple, repairable, and proper little engine.

The diesel definitely has a range advantage. And I agree it wouldn’t make sense to put an A4 into a new boat, or replace a diesel with an A4. But the cost of reconfiguring the boat to replace an A4 with a diesel is very high, $5000 at the very least, easily twice that, well above any resulting increase in the boat’s value.

The safety/gas fume argument makes no sense considering the huge number of powerboats made to this day with inboard engines.

A diesel swap for $5K?

Maybe for the incidentals.

Yah diesel conversion is going to 10k.  Moyer is awesome, buy me beer and I will consult over phone for 24hours.

It never fails. Any mention of the Atomic 4 on SA inevitably turns into the Atomic Bomb Vs $10K diesel debate.

I just did a full-on rebuild of an A4, total cost around $1500, including the base engine. It's basically a new engine now, and will likely outlive the boat it's going back into. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wristwister said:

It never fails. Any mention of the Atomic 4 on SA inevitably turns into the Atomic Bomb Vs $10K diesel debate.

I just did a full-on rebuild of an A4, total cost around $1500, including the base engine. It's basically a new engine now, and will likely outlive the boat it's going back into. 

I worry with that paint job that your engine is going to get pregnant even before it gets into the boat, wristwister!

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, tenders said:

I worry with that paint job that your engine is going to get pregnant even before it gets into the boat, wristwister!

Well then, that explains it! I was wondering how I ended up with 3 Atomic 4's in my shop since I started the rebuild of this one.