Sign in to follow this  
White Lightnin'

Steep Ramp Anarchy

Where my boat resides is completely safe in the event Cascadia Fault ever slips. It would take a hell of a Tsunami surge to push these over the pilings! Granted this was with a 1.3 minus tide (we get 8-10 foot swings pretty regularly.

Can anybody top this?

WL

steep ramp1.jpg

steep ramp2.jpg

Cripes! Break out the Pitons!!

Looks like you could just about step onto the boat house roof

You need a big dog to pull you up!

FB- Doug

Lake Canyon Yacht Club near San Antonio has got the most bitchingly steep ramp for boats on the planet. They actually write safety instructions how to use it Into their SIs. 

This is a the flat part, after it pitches up its hard to walk.

amp.jpg

• Like 1

In their defense the marina has long recognized this issue and this year are starting on lengthening the ramps by 30' to decrease the angle. But it is not unusual to see 2 or 3 people hauling a cart up or down. 

But Daymn. Its like hauling a cart up a flight of stairs.

WL

4 hours ago, ride2live said:

Homer, AK has well over 20' tide range. The ramps are steep and long.

ramp_3_gangway_project_page (1).jpg

OK, you win. That's insane!

WL

When I lived the the PNW, our ramp to the floats at Brownsville seemed close to 45 degrees at a minus tide. We had an 18 month old and wife was pregnant. After a weekend cruise, we would leave all gear on the boat until high tide to avoid dragging a cart uphill. 

Our fixed dock and average 1.5’ tidal range on the Chesapeake is much more reasonable. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

When I lived the the PNW, our ramp to the floats at Brownsville seemed close to 45 degrees at a minus tide. We had an 18 month old and wife was pregnant. After a weekend cruise, we would leave all gear on the boat until high tide to avoid dragging a cart uphill. 

Our fixed dock and average 1.5’ tidal range on the Chesapeake is much more reasonable. 

Wait.  Stop.  You had an 18 month old and a pregnant wife and you were regularly sailing?  That's more impressive than getting up and down the ramp.  Props

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, some dude said:

Wait.  Stop.  You had an 18 month old and a pregnant wife and you were regularly sailing?  That's more impressive than getting up and down the ramp.  Props

Pshaw, that's nothing. Get three kids under 6, a dog, and a frazzled wife on board regularly and I'll be impressed. 

12 minutes ago, IStream said:

Pshaw, that's nothing. Get three kids under 6, a dog, and a frazzled wife on board regularly and I'll be impressed. 

Binderdonedat.

3 daughters under 5, wife is from east of the Rockies and a yellow lab that will leap over board with no notice.

Although I still looked forward to cruising, grey hairs have aggressively multiplied.

Digby Nova Scotia has a tidal range near 27 feet.  One side of the ramp has stairs for when the ramp is steep. 

On 4/26/2018 at 11:40 PM, White Lightnin' said:

OK, you win. That's insane!

WL

ADA compliant?  :-)

^^ Accessible, perhaps. Survivable? No.

• Like 2

Sometimes, about this time of year, our local ramp goes uphill to the water...

IMG_0258.jpg.f8b6831f7ea016067e1b280ddc15ae6d.jpg

Our ramps have claimed one victim since they were put in about 6 months ago.  Poor guy had a heart attack trying to climb them.  Sadly did not survive I was told.

Yup, what "sea" said - check out Nova Scotia . . 

Image result for Nova Scotia tides

North Brittany and Normandy fit this thread. Trying to deliver a few trolleys of wine back to the boat (whilst trolleyed) after RORC races was sporting if the tide was low.

E243F2D6-FF80-42F4-B96D-566B31816FB5.jpeg

391F124E-08D1-4D99-893D-9092B8CF4323.jpeg