that's hot. Is that the stock rig with new spreaders? Always thought the SR would go nice with traps... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Varan said:

What's it rate?

Classic. 147, oddly enough. 

On 5/7/2018 at 8:26 PM, Sir Max said:

Classic. 147, oddly enough. 

I'd like to square off with that thing in my Holder 20X! Shame we're on opposite coasts.

-Snap

25922942867_b081e1c446_o.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

• Like 3

Having owned both boats, Holder 20 #9, and now SR 21 Max turboed #121, I can tell you now matter how "turboed" the Holder 20 is, it won't touch a turboed SR 21.  The SR consistently hits 7 knots up wind and just Monday night, hit 13+ knots off the wind with no spinnaker (too much wind for the chute).  The holder 20 hull simply doesn't plane as freely as the SR's hull.

Sparky

Sounds like a challenge to me. I'm betting on Snap and will even provide the venue.

18 hours ago, jmvander said:

Having owned both boats, Holder 20 #9, and now SR 21 Max turboed #121, I can tell you now matter how "turboed" the Holder 20 is, it won't touch a turboed SR 21.  The SR consistently hits 7 knots up wind and just Monday night, hit 13+ knots off the wind with no spinnaker (too much wind for the chute).  The holder 20 hull simply doesn't plane as freely as the SR's hull.

Sparky

H20 #9 was a stock beater I presume you bought from Fred Miller then sold to Scott Walsh? You wouldn't know about the planing ability with the stock small spin. 

I'm a big fan of Hendo's boats and the SR 27 I sailed at KWRW is still one of my fav's.

It would be fun to line test with the two boats because old boats that have been updated are cool. 

-Snap

You presume incorrectly.  We had #9 back in the mid 80's, and sailed it in enough wind with the spinnaker up to turtle it in the Snake River in February.  Brrrrrr.  After about 8 hours of work we were able recover the boat with the help of many people in dry suits, and a big ass water pump.  Even in the 30-40 mph gusts, I don't remember it really taking off on a screaming plane.  But, you're right, it would be awesome to get the two boats on the line together.  We're up in North Central Washington; meet at the Ed's favorite yacht club in Huntington? :)  

Sparky

BTW, what's it rate? ;) 

HSR is a little too soon to make plans to do, at this point. I'd certainly entertain it for next year. Boat rates 168, which is 6 secs faster than a J24 at 174. Up there, with the ridiculous PHRF-NW system it should correlate to 180 (with the J24 at 186). If you have the Tahoe boat, which rated 171 there we are pretty close. 

What PHRF fleets are you 'ripping up'? Message me, we'll take it offline.

-Snap

On 6/14/2018 at 9:44 AM, Snapper said:

H20 #9 was a stock beater I presume you bought from Fred Miller then sold to Scott Walsh? You wouldn't know about the planing ability with the stock small spin. 

I'm a big fan of Hendo's boats and the SR 27 I sailed at KWRW is still one of my fav's.

It would be fun to line test with the two boats because old boats that have been updated are cool. 

-Snap

Hey who's boat you calling a beater..?  HA 

This one ;) (Circa 1985)

H20Cheers.jpg

Getting back on topic, (sorry for the hi-jack), here's a shot of the old man's new whip with the "small" spinnaker on Lake Chelan, WA.

SR21Rascal.JPG

Nice!

Edit... Spud Cup 2020 with Snapper reunion. NW20 fleet revisited. 

How do these things handle when there is significant breeze, say 12-15 knots? and some waves? In the Hotfoot 20 in SF we're generally planing by then but can't imagine wanting anymore sail area upwind. I would think something like a mild ditch run (but not as light as this year) might suit you guys well. 

We were out in 20+ knots today with gusts to 30...  Things were a little wet.  Hit 13 mph on the gps coming back down wind.  Didn't have the huevos or the checkbook to put the chute up coming back down wind...  Going up wind, we were feathering a little on the jib and hiking hard enough to keep the main from inverting.  The big gusts, we were feathering everything and hoping the rig stayed up from the violent shaking... It was just too much.  12-15 would be a sweet spot for our SR 21 Max, plenty of power, but not too much.

There were some comments about Slot Machine. I have owned Slot Machine since buying her from Glenn Henderson in 1990. I have been racing her for most of that time on the east coast of Florida out of the Melbourne Yacht Club. I still enjoy racing Slot Machine. A whole lot of fun. 

• Like 1

I remember when they were lined up at S.P.Y.C.

Looked like a fruit salad, with all the different colors.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:47 AM, Slot Machine said:

What rating (PHRF) do you have with these mods? I see some of the mods, but wondering what else you did to the boat?

147, which seems to be on par with everyone else that has updated the sailplan. A few boats have gone with split backstays, but the flicker works OK for me, for now. Will likely add a genoa at some point, which is what other boats have done too as we are still sticky in light air. No modifications are super significant, just addition of , halyards, cleats, accessories, etc which (I think) is optimal. Could probably come up with a list/images/guide if someone is looking to make the modifications.  

0.jpg

8 hours ago, Sir Max said:

147, which seems to be on par with everyone else that has updated the sailplan. A few boats have gone with split backstays, but the flicker works OK for me, for now. Will likely add a genoa at some point, which is what other boats have done too as we are still sticky in light air. No modifications are super significant, just addition of , halyards, cleats, accessories, etc which (I think) is optimal. Could probably come up with a list/images/guide if someone is looking to make the modifications.  

0.jpg

wouldn't a code zero (i.e. a really flat assymetrical) hurt your rating much less than a big genoa if it is equal in size or smaller than your bigger assym?