Sign in to follow this  
feenstrap

Garmin 158i to B&G Hydra 2

Hello forum,

As my old MLR Valsat 03 finally decided to give up, i have purchased a new Garmin GPS 158i. The Valsat was connected to my B&G Hydra 2 NMEA FFD with just two wires (brown and blue) and i had high hopes the new Garmin could be connected as well. So far no luck connecting both. There is no GPS data like SOG/COG/BTW shown on the NMEA display at all.

Digging in the old B&G manuals i noticed the MNEA FFD uses 'the latest NMEA version, 0183 1.5'. Maybe the Garmin output can just not be read by the B&G due to the FFD being rather old?

It would be nice to know if connection between these two units is possible at all, before i spend more time on this. It's not like a must have or anything, but having GPS data available on the FFD in the cockpit would be nice.

Thanks for any insights! 

Your Hydra 2 (?)  NMEA FFD should be looking for NMEA 0183 format messages over an RS-422 physical link at probably 4800 baud. 

Your Garmin is capable of sending NMEA 0183, but you would need to have compatible wiring (voltage levels) and hope that the baud rates (auto) matched. 

I linked two manuals that may or may not be helpful 

good luck, google can be your friend.

You also need to tell the Garmin which port & what data to export.

I linked two manuals that may or may not be helpful 

Thanks for the manual, i did not have the B&G one digital.

I already set the baud rate to 4800 on the Garmin through the menu.
Maybe the voltage is giving issues, as the Garmin uses the 12V - for NMEA ground.

Yesterday i managed to get the Garmin and B&G talk to each other.

Just for reference, connect the black wire on the Garmin to - 12v and to the blue wire on the NMEA FFD. Then connect the white wire on the Garmin to the brown wire on the MNEA FFD.

Happy days.