Dirty Oar

installing radar on my C27

got a decent old JRC1800 radar and gps chartplotter for 50$... took it off an arima because the owner wanted something newer (garmin...barf), so I snagged it for my catalina 27.

how the hell do I get there dome installed? ive seen some backstay mounts, mast mounts, and pole mounts. gotta mount the gps antenna too, but, don't really care how, I just want to do it right, and correctly, but as cheaply as possible. never installed a radar on a sailboat, so, I don't know whats on the market, or if anybody has a DIY trick. not planning on any long distance stuff, just here in the san juans, it get super foggy in the summer time and if you want to go anywhere around here, you cant be waiting til the fogs lifts at 2pm if you are sailing in a small boat like a c27! 

Super cheap - get some foam and glass and make a mast mount.  3 pieces: 1) solid glass bracket formed to mast shape(use mylar tape on mast as mold release)  2) flat foam &  glass platform to bolt antenna to. 3) foam &  glass triangular bracket under  platform and bonded to mast bracket. Drill and tap into mast thru bracket to attach. 

Stern pole: 1.5" nominal sch 40 aluminum pipe with a base flange to bolt to deck.  Affix also to stern pushpit. Add 2 guy wires,  1 fore/aft &  1 transverse. 

11 hours ago, Dirty Oar said:

got a decent old JRC1800 radar and gps chartplotter for 50$... took it off an arima because the owner wanted something newer (garmin...barf), so I snagged it for my catalina 27.

how the hell do I get there dome installed? ive seen some backstay mounts, mast mounts, and pole mounts. gotta mount the gps antenna too, but, don't really care how, I just want to do it right, and correctly, but as cheaply as possible. never installed a radar on a sailboat, so, I don't know whats on the market, or if anybody has a DIY trick. not planning on any long distance stuff, just here in the san juans, it get super foggy in the summer time and if you want to go anywhere around here, you cant be waiting til the fogs lifts at 2pm if you are sailing in a small boat like a c27! 

Many off the shelf solutions 

use google

IMG_8625.jpg

IMG_8624.PNG

7 hours ago, slug zitski said:

Many off the shelf solutions 

use google

IMG_8625.jpg

IMG_8624.PNG

Like, Oh my god (in my best California valley girl impression)!!!!! I totally already saw all of that!!!...

seriously, I'm not that fucking incompetent that I cant just google search this shit. you think I'm some lazy fucktard? no smartass, I'm looking for any DIY solutions, so shove off bouyhead!!!

I sure as shit aint gonna spend 700-1400$ for an off the shelf radar mount when I only spent 50$ on the radar! 

My DIY solution. Ignore Slug. He lives in a world where DIY means Do In Yard

It's held up for 1 circumnavigation so far. If your budget is really low you can build the platform and brackets with plywood and then just glass them. But I prefer foam for longevity. There are actually 2 panels that make up a "V" shaped bracket under the platform. 

IMG_2869.jpg

Yeah, Roger, I see how that works.... I mean, I work in a full service yacht yard for a living, so, when I mean DIY, I mean, whatever I can snag for free and or liberate, preferably on company dime, cuz boatyards don't pay for shit!!! This IS sailing ANARCHY afterall...

I'm doubting the need for a gimble because I'm more concerned with fog and the Washington state ferry system than off shore oil tankers, If it's foggy, I'll probably be motoring, I'm not going to deal with "right of way" issues when nobody can see from thier elbow to asshole.... 

So, what about my GPS antenna? Doesn't that have to be above the sweep of the radar? Or, should I stick the radar on the mast and the GPS on a pole off the ass end and call it good? 

GPS doesn't care above/below. Just don't put it directly in the beam pattern of the radar. Your scanner probably has a 10 deg vertical pattern (check your actual specs).

Well you can, but you have to mount the radar display horizontally, on a Lazy Susan or something similar. Then hook up a mast rotation sensor that measures mast rotation, and couple that with a small actuator on the Lazy Susan.

I would think aluminum pole mount at stern (ex spin pole?) would be easy and not hard to source the stuff.  Work out a f/g tube through the deck and maybe a strut or two (old dodger/bimini tubes) for brace to stern rail.  Get someone to weld a scrap mount plate on top to take the radome.  Paint with rustoleum.   Wires run down inside.   

I did basically the same  on a cal 40 I had and it worked great.   

GPS ant on stern rail.

Although I like the f/g mast mount idea and the diy fabrication.

--Kevin