Monkey Butler

SAILBOAT 35' 1983 CHEOY LEE (PERRY) 35

On 5/20/2018 at 8:59 PM, Ishmael said:

If you take the matching chock to a good caster, I'm sure they could make a duplicate. I have talked quite a bit to a fellow in a local foundry and the stuff they can do is quite mind-blowing.

Or have one CNC'd. For a lot of this unobtanium stuff, cheaper as well. 

I put a #45 Rocna on last year and like it although it never got tested by bad conditions. I’m of the Bigger is Better School of Anchoring. The weight difference between 35 and 45 is immaterial to me as far as sailing performance is concerned. There are lots of ways for me to lose boat weight before going to a smaller anchor lol!

The plane blade seems handy. The PO of my boat epoxy coated the bottom but apparently let it cure before adding bottom paint. Consequently, every 6 or 7 years the paint would start to come loose. I’d use a pull scraper and take it all off in about 2 hours. It required more effort to get the inevitable bits that decided to stick and smooth everything off. The last time I used a primer and ablative paint in the hopes that I could eliminate even that amount of work. A miserable job that I’d rather not do if I don’t have to.

16 hours ago, Bull City said:

Kris, would it be possible to touch up some nicks in Awlgrip with a one part urethane? My deck was done in Awlgrip Oyster, and I've got some Total Boat urethane topside paint, which I got for another project, and it's a perfect match color-wise.

Sorry for the thread  drift.

I don't know about the compatability , Bull. But I would do it! :) 

10 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

If the paint proves too tenacious I'll look into soda blasting but I could use the workout. My arms look like spaghetti compared to Kris Cringle and SailforBeer.

When I discovered mild but extensive "pox" on my bottom (boat's, that is), I had it blasted. The medium was a little more aggressive than soda because we wanted to open up the little pustules. There was also old, hard bottom paint. The blasting was very effective.

As to the physical benefits of "the workout," consult your physician. :) I have spaghetti arms, and the body of a meatball.

I bought a 45 pounder last year and sleep well. :D  

So far it has set almost instantly every time and it holds onto the planet much better than the old Bruce copy

FYI, when I received it two of the bolts were of the wrong length.  They answered the phone around 9:00 pm on a Friday night and I had the right bolts the following Tuesday (in Canada).  Color me happy

2 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Look what the Boat Fairy (from Hong Kong) just brought me.

1907661963_ewcleat.jpg.79063f22a28cd173ed0fbb2f1743a6b9.jpg

Awesome! One more item off your list although you may need to dig out the buffing wheel. Mine look the same most of the time lol!

3 hours ago, chester said:
On 5/21/2018 at 8:34 AM, Bob Perry said:

I like "fairlewds" better.

Kind of thought provoking.

or welsh!

Old druggies call them "fairludes".

I haven't had much free time to spend on the boat but I did manage to do a little exploratory scraping and grinding on the bottom yesterday.

b1.jpg.9ab6545e405191965e6cae36e0df6575.jpg

b2.jpg.0d827cefb96caff81def7d4225574b05.jpg

Whew boy, this is gonna be fun.

b3.jpg.0083d0f2727b35236fe9898043af9ced.jpg

b4.jpg.04f2b0c3f29dd30b3aa63e19cf4e5594.jpg

Haven't found blisters into the mat yet.

On 5/29/2018 at 7:00 PM, Ishmael said:

Old druggies call them "fairludes".

Bow 714's ???

On 5/29/2018 at 5:19 PM, Shoalcove said:

Awesome! One more item off your list although you may need to dig out the buffing wheel. Mine look the same most of the time lol!

Well, that did turn out better. Barkeepers Friend and a scrubbie...

chok1.jpg.ce0b7348ef1de579141fb73af692bbad.jpg

1 hour ago, Monkey Butler said:

Haven't found blisters into the mat yet.

I'd look into a media blast, unless you want to torture yourself.

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

I'd look into a media blast, unless you want to torture yourself.

I need to remove the old gel coat. I don't think blasting will do that.

And I AM a glutton for punishment.

IMG_20150627_185539.jpg.f8835275117bb30bbdfd7ca8fe0d1ea3.jpg

On 5/22/2018 at 5:42 PM, Kris Cringle said:

I've been following this thread and was especially waiting to see the shrink wrap removed. My suspicions were confirmed.

The first year we owned our present boat, I stored a very reputable yard in Camden Maine. I had it shrink wrapped. We all (yard, me) knew the boat was Awlgripped but didn't consider how it would be shrink wrapped. They wrapped it right down to the water line, which they told me they did to all boats (this was the year 2000, and they applied awlgrip there, then). 

In the spring when I cut the shrinkwrap off, and water spilled out- that was trapped inside - it was quite a sight. Pox, all over. 

They didn't do a thing for me and I didn't push it (in hindsight, I should have). 

Suffice to say, after 18 years of owning this boat and doing projects of all kinds, the one that REALLY still sticks out in my memory, was removing that bubbled Awlgrip. I was nearly 20 years younger then, and I ache looking at this photo. 

42240596352_2ebe796068_b.jpg

Needless to say, I'm a fan of one part paint. :)I always worry down the road, knowing that every coating - no matter what it is - will one day, have to come off. 

I had to look at this picture again and remind myself that that is awlgrip on a fiberglass hull. Kris C. are you really scraping that off, no heat, no chemicals (on the paint)? I need to up my scraper foo.

37 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

I had to look at this picture again and remind myself that that is awlgrip on a fiberglass hull. Kris C. are you really scraping that off, no heat, no chemicals (on the paint)? I need to up my scraper foo.

That looks like a Sandvik carbide scraper. I have two of them, awesome machines without extension cords.

17 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That looks like a Sandvik carbide scraper. I have two of them, awesome machines without extension cords.

Thanks. I've used the cheap steel blade hook scrapers and from experience I didn't think they would touch Awlgrip on topsides.

I'll try one of the Sandvik carbide scrapers and let you know how it works for me. 

7 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Thanks. I've used the cheap steel blade hook scrapers and from experience I didn't think they would touch Awlgrip on topsides.

I'll try one of the Sandvik carbide scrapers and let you know how it works for me. 

Yes, and lots of new blades. I was using a chemical stripper. As I recall (I'm still in denial,...), I left the stripper on an area for 10-15 minutes, the idea being I didn't want to remove all the fairing beneath. I mainly succeeded but this hull, 1961 tech,  is not as fair as more modern casts. I do a little fairing when I re-paint, on a about 4 year intervals. I'm still afraid of Awlgrip. 

I watched a Epifanes rep roll a topsides in my yard. Roll only, no tipping, two part. He was very helpful. I'm thinking of an article that will deal with this choice, one part vs two part. Old boats are lining up in the next few years, to be saved by DIY processes like this.

It's either solutions like this, or the hull grinder. 

josh-dolphin-24-2-jpg.151256

Our local Y had their annual boat auction. Every year, the boats get nicer, newer. And the number of old tired boats, that aren't accepted, grows exponentially. A friend bought a late-ish model, fully sail equipped, sailaway 22'-24'er  for $500. Had it been slightly neglected, it would be headed to the dump.  

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216169241612279&set=p.10216169241612279&type=3 

9 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

I need to remove the old gel coat. I don't think blasting will do that.

And I AM a glutton for punishment.

IMG_20150627_185539.jpg.f8835275117bb30bbdfd7ca8fe0d1ea3.jpg

You're right on the media blast. When I bought our second J22 (a 1983 boat) in 2007, it was in the midst of a professional bottom job. The yard had peeled the gelcoat with an electric hand tool, maybe a planer. Then the drying process, and then the barrier coat.

BTW, that's not your boat, is it?

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

You're right on the media blast. When I bought our second J22 (a 1983 boat) in 2007, it was in the midst of a professional bottom job. The yard had peeled the gelcoat with an electric hand tool, maybe a planer. Then the drying process, and then the barrier coat.

BTW, that's not your boat, is it?

That boat is a 1965 Allied Seabreeze that I scrapped last year, after I had removed the bottom paint and gelcoat, I mostly used a 7" right angle grinder which I became pretty proficient at using. I think I am resigned to repeating the process on this hull.

The Paint Shaver and Gel Plane look attractive but I might do more damage than good with something like that during the learning phase.

12 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Yes, and lots of new blades. I was using a chemical stripper. As I recall (I'm still in denial,...), I left the stripper on an area for 10-15 minutes, the idea being I didn't want to remove all the fairing beneath. I mainly succeeded but this hull, 1961 tech,  is not as fair as more modern casts. I do a little fairing when I re-paint, on a about 4 year intervals. I'm still afraid of Awlgrip.

I took a closer look at my topsides. There are a lot more bubbles in the Awlgrip than I saw at first glance. It looks like I'll be repainting. Of course that means getting the old stuff off first. I think I'll try your method. I've already decided against Awlgrip. Stuff happens, I want something repairable. My interpretation of repairable is something where a defect or damage can be repainted and/or sanded and buffed to restore the finish.

I watched a Epifanes rep roll a topsides in my yard. Roll only, no tipping, two part. He was very helpful. I'm thinking of an article that will deal with this choice, one part vs two part. Old boats are lining up in the next few years, to be saved by DIY processes like this.

I agree. Having paint systems available to the average boat owner that deliver quality finishes make a lot of tired boats more viable as projects. I looked at the Epifanes two part product on the Jamestown Distributors site. They had an application video with the same factory rep. I couldn't find anything one way or the other that said if it was repairable.

In addition to the one part vs two part debate I'd also like to throw in spray vs brush. I realize that where the boat is located may rule out spraying but for someone who in a position to spray it presents some options. I am considering Awlcraft 2000 (maybe just because I'm an MST 3000 fan) as it is more durable than one part and also repairable but it can only be sprayed. In my vast experience I rolled and tipped a dinghy and a two outboard motor covers. I found the tipping part somewhat tedious. I was going to roll and tip the topsides of my old O'Day Mariner with Petit Easypoxy 2 but thinking ahead to doing the topsides and cockpit I cringed at the thought of all the angles and trying to keep a wet edge. Spraying seemed to make sense so I tried it on the hull which I did first. I really liked spraying better than roll and tip. I used a HVLP gun but I wasn't proficient enough to get perfect results and wound up with some orange peel. I switched to a conventional gun and the problem went away. Sometime after that I found a post on another website that I'll C&P below.

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/314088-roll-tip-painting.htm

"I have been rolling and tipping paint on hulls along with varnish for 2 plus decades and personally if I was you ,I would DA prep the substrate with 150 grit,spot fill any problems with 3m premium filler,,,hire a guy to shoot Awlgrip 545 primer,6 coats cut 25 percent (or do it yourself) ,,,DA sand that with 320 grit for light colors or 400 grit for darker colors and spray Awlcraft 2000 topcoat,,,3 to 4 base coats cut 30 percent or 15 seconds on a # 2 Zahn cup ,then 2 coats mixed 50/50 with acrylic clear (reduce clear to 35 percent after catalyzing or 12 to 13 seconds with a # 2 Zahn cup ) and color or for a wetter look go 80 percent clear/20 percent color.Use a conventional gun and spray at 55 to 60 pounds at the tip,,,you will end up with less orange peel then an HVLP gun and it will be a quicker learning curve for you...The amount of time and money you will spend rolling and tipping and sanding between each coat and then wet sanding and compounding is not worth it IMHO,,,,You can spray the Awlcraft 2000 yourself,,,it is Repairable so if you do run it ,it can be wet sanded and compounded very easily."

The poster knew in advance the spraying issue I encountered and his comment about the learning curve for conventional is spot on. Yes I'll be shooting more product into the air but for a one time DIY job that should be inconsequential. At first it seems like a lot of coats but the recoat times are short and I think primer and topcoat can be done in a day for each.

I've never seen any recommendation about the final coats of mixed clear/color and really hope that one of the pros here will share their knowledge. 

It's either solutions like this, or the hull grinder. 

I know, I threw an Allied Seabreeze in the dumpster last year.

josh-dolphin-24-2-jpg.151256

Looks great, who did all the surface prep?

Our local Y had their annual boat auction. Every year, the boats get nicer, newer. And the number of old tired boats, that aren't accepted, grows exponentially. A friend bought a late-ish model, fully sail equipped, sailaway 22'-24'er  for $500. Had it been slightly neglected, it would be headed to the dump.  

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216169241612279&set=p.10216169241612279&type=3 

I can't get the link to work but I follow what you're saying. The clock is ticking on many "needs TLC" boats out there.

The owner prepped the hull (a Dolphin 24) and rolled on the 2 part primer -sanded. It does look great but if you're close to the hull, like these guys are, you can see the roller stiple. Had the conditions been perfect (the challenge to painting outside is all in the weather conditions), it may have flowed out better. I'd still tip the surface from my experience watching this demo. The rep spent more time with the roller than I do with rolling and tipping. His technique was a very light pressure on the roller which required a lot of rolling for an even coating. 

You can always see brush marks even in the best roll and tip coating(pro painters at the boatyard),  if you're eyes are a few inches from the topsides. But, as soon as the hull is floating, light reflecting off the surface of the water, even a B quality roll and tip looks flawless. 

There is now an 'enchancer' you can add to Easypoxy. I have no idea what it is or what it's claims are but I think it shows that more options in one part paints are sought after.

On time, my daughter and I roll and tipped the topside on my 38'er in four hours. Prep work before hand of course amounted to more hours. But prep is what you want it to be. With one part, you should do a total prep of the surface, like you mean it. With one part,...there's always another time when hopefully my daughter will be around (I usually do the rolling and tipping myself). 

7 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

There is now an 'enchancer' you can add to Easypoxy. I have no idea what it is or what it's claims are but I think it shows that more options in one part paints are sought after.

I used EasyPoxy 2, which was a two part supposedly like perfection. Apparently it has been discontinued. Seems it got bad reviews from the pros.

I got decent results with it, maybe I'm better than I think I am!

The owner prepped the hull (a Dolphin 24) and rolled on the 2 part primer -sanded. It does look great but if you're close to the hull, like these guys are, you can see the roller stiple. Had the conditions been perfect (the challenge to painting outside is all in the weather conditions), it may have flowed out better. I'd still tip the surface from my experience watching this demo.

Brush marks I can take because everyone has seen brush marks in paint. But roller stipple? Who leaves roller stipple when you can always brush it out (leaving brush marks)? Does it look weird? I'm sure the finish looks fine but I'm just curious what paint critics think when they see bumps instead of lines.

On time, my daughter and I roll and tipped the topside on my 38'er in four hours. Prep work before hand of course amounted to more hours. But prep is what you want it to be. With one part, you should do a total prep of the surface, like you mean it. With one part,...there's always another time when hopefully my daughter will be around (I usually do the rolling and tipping myself). 

Aren't daughters great.

IMG_20150627_152408.jpg.014c41b78812ba30bb36ca4e068a9165.jpg

Unfortunately she must have looked too good in Tyvek. Some handsome guy swept her off her feet and took her to Florida.

• Like 1

Update.

Right after my last post my wife fell and broke her shoulder, humerus I think, but she sure didn't think so.

So, pretty much everything boat related has taken a back seat for a while.

Do you think there would be an audience for a YouToob channel where a guy who just bought a sailboat with intentions of restoring it and sailing south to warmer climes instead has video episodes featuring him washing dishes, doing laundry, vacuuming floors with a 5 HP Shop Vac, tending a flower garden with a weed wacker, picking up dog shit, folding clothes, burning dinner, and driving the only woman in the world who would put up with him to numerous doctor appointments? Hey, at least the house hasn't hit an unidentified submerged object yet.

Update.

Right after my last post my wife fell and broke her shoulder, humerus I think, but she sure didn't think so.

Do you think there would be an audience for a YouToob channel where a guy who just bought a sailboat with intentions of restoring it and sailing south to warmer climes instead has video episodes featuring him washing dishes, doing laundry, vacuuming floors with a 5 HP Shop Vac, tending a flower garden with a weed wacker, picking up dog shit, folding clothes, burning dinner, and driving the only woman in the world who would put up with him to numerous doctor appointments? Hey, at least the house hasn't hit an unidentified submerged object yet.

Sorry to hear of your wife’s misfortune. Hopefully she will be feeling better soon! If it makes you feel any better, I discovered a crack in my mast 2 weeks before launch. It’s now halfway across the country getting sorted out and I’m weeding gardens and mulching anything that can’t run away. No sailing this summer I fear. Sometimes you just have to roll with it. It gives you lots of time to plan things out at least!

Shoalcove

• Like 1

Ah, misery loves company. Too bad if it wipes out you're whole season.

Having the boat in the backyard at first deemed a blessing. Now it sits there beckoning , no taunting me as I stare at it from the kitchen sink window.

Sometimes at the end of the day I'll just climb around her and take stock of what needs immediate attention, what I'd like to upgrade, and what I like to spruce up. The,n I catch myself and remember that I want to go sailing next year. Hopefully that though process continues before I start ripping stuff out.

Have you been over to the Cheoy Lee Group on FaceBook?http://www.facebook.com/groups/54147504803

An Aussie with a beautiful CL35 just showed up and even Bob Perry hisself has graced the group with his presence.

Hope to see you over there.

11 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Update.

Dang! I was looking forward to another restoration story with pics!

Hope your wife has a complete recovery.  I think you could do a pretty entertaining video of yourself as a housekeeper - I would watch it.

11 hours ago, Bull City said:

Dang! I was looking forward to another restoration story with pics!

Hope your wife has a complete recovery.  I think you could do a pretty entertaining video of yourself as a housekeeper - I would watch it.

If that video ever got made it would definitely get an "R" rating for language.

If that video ever got made it would definitely get an "R" rating for language.

You may have noticed that we don't rate stuff.

I did whip up these nice oatmeal banana bread bricks today. They rate only 3 Weight Watchers Smart Points.

20180630_211532.jpg.d20bf65a41119e8f2d6cdff46eea1659.jpg

Oh, somebody fuckin' shoot me and put me out of my misery!

Monkey Butler,

If the boat looks good from 10 paces, it looks good.  How?  Pay attention to the details that draw the eye,  and don't create flaws that draw the eye.

Blurocket IV had faded beige gelcoat -- most people would say she needed to be painted.  But we kept up the varnish trim and the blue stripe on the topsides.  And the canvas still looked good.  And, there was no junk on the stern rail, or on deck.  So the boat looked shipshape -- great from 10 paces.  With the details looking good, the faded gelcoat wasn't noticeable.

On most boats, shiny topsides are a fools errand.  Anything less than perfect prep and paint will stand out.  Instead, let the topsides be a bit dull, maybe even with brush strokes or roller texture.  Then get your trim right.

My own Dolphin has dull dark green topsides (Brightsides or similar) and a flat-matte beige deck.  The topsides will buff out OK but not be shiny.  If I do a nice job with the cove stripe and wood trim, and neaten the sloppy white caulk bead around the rail, the boat will look fine.

• Like 3

Blu is right. I got a good lesson in that very thing a few years ago. Two boats were being refinished in my local boatyard. One was a 40+ racing sailboat and the other was a 28' cabin cruiser.

The racer got a super intense prep - 3 guys on a long board for days on end and then it got spray painted with 2 part. It had a finish any show car could be proud of - perfect mirror reflections.

The cruiser got re-gelcoated. Nice job and it ended up with that sort of pearlescent sheen that gelcoat has.

In the water the cruiser looked far better than the racer - that flawless mirror finish reflected every ripple in the water and made it look very wavy & uneven.

The little cruiser looked the same as it did on land - a nice shiny glow.

Wanted to try out the DustBuddie but it turns out the only grinders that I had that it would fit were massive 6000 RPM metal grinders that must weigh around 15 pounds, too much for overhead work. So I made up an adapter bushing and arbor extension for one of my RA sanders that weighs a lot less but had a small guard mounting collar.

custom.jpg.0bf1087945bf17c873ba96bf59651451.jpg

Here's the general idea of how the pieces go together.

20180713_121050.jpg.ea8b0a84732f206041156f36cc0fbe31.jpg

20180713_121154.jpg.3f0cd52aa8b4002dc67dcac939c918b4.jpg

20180713_121416.jpg.81688824f92c06585cb5da514c576e65.jpg

I cut two different grooves to try, the sweet spot would have been right between the two of them but it worked okay in the second groove.

I was just meaning to give it a quick spin so I didn't put on any PPE but it worked so well I got carried away.

20180713_115558.jpg.39f2df63ecb433384114b2adcf6ca4c6.jpg

About 15 to 20 minutes had all the paint and most of the gel coat off of one side of the keel.

And neither the dog or myself were choking or covered in paint dust! Very little dust on the ground.

20180713_115702.jpg.0c5d7d652e76537a0f4e9e6c5b47a7cf.jpg

20180713_115803.jpg.ab2fbd4a4e09be7d7a78c63e5e9316d1.jpg

That's right after I stopped. Didn't even brush myself off.

The sander I used is a POS Harbor Freight that I did another whole boat bottom with. It's light, runs coll and has enough power. I think I paid around $30 for it figuring I'd throw it out afterwards but it keeps going. It's variable speed and maxs out at 3500 RPM which I find actually works to my advantage by giving a little bit more control.

20180713_115633.jpg.37cffbbc8c27e461992acb604ceeb60a.jpg

Polyester filler OVER old bottom paint?

20180713_121102.thumb.jpg.af7c73b22c0ba407fe90463d97e17212.jpg

6 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Polyester filler OVER old bottom paint?

And more bottom paint OVER that! What's not to like?

Wow! Impressive.

What are your plans for the topside paint bubbling? I plan to do a One Part vs Two Part article and am searching for removal of two part paints. Seems we'll soon enter that era with quite a few boats. 

2 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Wow! Impressive.

What are your plans for the topside paint bubbling? I plan to do a One Part vs Two Part article and am searching for removal of two part paints. Seems we'll soon enter that era with quite a few boats. 

I will be repainting and removing the old Awlgrip. By what method I'm not sure yet. I'm noticing some crazing and print through that may involve some more heavy handed sanding and fairing than first anticipated. The boat came from Florida and it looks like the dark color had an effect. I love the Flag Blue but seeing that I plan to take the boat back to Florida and further south in a few years I wonder if I should consider something lighter.

Excuse my ignorance Kris but when you mention writing an article, where? Possibly I've read some of your work before? Kinda new here.

20180704_144859.jpg.5a496082d14cbcf59c06efe63ca9f3db.jpg.772d2f02764c789b19f3d43805964c9f.jpg

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

And more bottom paint OVER that! What's not to like?

Keeps the filler encapsulated so it won't absorb moisture.

On 7/14/2018 at 4:22 PM, blurocketsmate said:

DIY is looking not so bad, and the savings would buy me a new sail or something.

blurocket, what do you have to do. Just bottom paint or a strip an d barrier coat?

On 7/14/2018 at 10:01 AM, Monkey Butler said:

I will be repainting and removing the old Awlgrip. By what method I'm not sure yet. I'm noticing some crazing and print through that may involve some more heavy handed sanding and fairing than first anticipated. The boat came from Florida and it looks like the dark color had an effect. I love the Flag Blue but seeing that I plan to take the boat back to Florida and further south in a few years I wonder if I should consider something lighter.

Excuse my ignorance Kris but when you mention writing an article, where? Possibly I've read some of your work before? Kinda new here.

20180704_144859.jpg.5a496082d14cbcf59c06efe63ca9f3db.jpg.772d2f02764c789b19f3d43805964c9f.jpg

That article would be for Good Old Boat(they're interested in it). I write for fun so I'm not too prolific these days.