FoxtrotUniformCharlieKilo

Building a Foiling Beach Catamaran

Hello, everyone,

I am a 17 year old kid living on Long Island, and have been sailing C420s and Optimists at my local club, and is looking to get in on the foiling beachcat scene. I am looking for a simple fiberglass or plywood foiler that I can whip up relatively quickly, is relatively fast, and looks sexy. Thanks!

Try the multi-hull forum. They won't be able to help either, but I'm sure they'd like to watch the train wreck that's about to happen…

If you want a cheap DIY catamaran with good performance, you could do worse than an Arrow.

13 hours ago, FoxtrotUniformCharlieKilo said:

Hello, everyone,

I am a 17 year old kid living on Long Island, and have been sailing C420s and Optimists at my local club, and is looking to get in on the foiling beachcat scene. I am looking for a simple fiberglass or plywood foiler that I can whip up relatively quickly, is relatively fast, and looks sexy. Thanks!

7 hours ago, FoxtrotUniformCharlieKilo said:

this is a goddamn poisonous effin forum, goddamit.

WTF do you expect? If you had done your homework, you would realise who ridiculous your initial post is, and then combine that with your screen name, are you surprised at your reception?

In case you are serious - you can probably make something similar to what the gentleman in the picture below built, without using expensive materials like carbon fiber.

The v-foils probably have more drag than L or Z- foils (especially going to windward). But they foil is supported at both ends, so can be made from wood/glass or aluminium without breaking.

Other than that it's probably great fun to build and sail a foiler.

Remember that 90% of the time/effort is spent on all small tweaks and modifications to make it work once you spent 10% building it. If you are not prepared for all those efforts, I think it is better to buy a foiling boat instead. The UFO seems reasonably priced and a good platform to learn foiling on.

photo-21863.jpg

A boat by Doug Halsey

looks like another gov sock

I could help. 

If you are not a troll, which your screen name and first post indicate that you are.

Showing some bone fides, would help convince me that you aren't just trying to dick us around.

Start with: Who the fuck are you? What the fuck have you done, built assembled repaired? Do you roll your own or just use stuff Mommy and Daddy buy you. Do you know how to use a table saw without cutting your hand off? Have you ever mixed epoxy? Ever laminated anything?  Fixed a ding in your centerboard? Found out where your boat leaks and fixed it? And why the fuck I should care?

Sorry to be rude kid, but when you sign in as F.U.C.K.  you invite some additional scrutiny and cynicism from the adults.  I suggest you grow a pair and ask properly

SHC

• Like 5

qwerwqwerrrrrrqwqeryquwieryiqowryiqynlhakdsfuoawuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigyoasdfa,jksdvhcojllllllllldffhlaksjdfhlaksjdfhlakjsdfhalskdjfhalskdjfhalskdfhlaskjdfhlaskjdhflaskalskjdfhoqwieuryoqwieudhcskn,v,nzbxm,cvmzcbx,vkjbslzhxoucivhlasdjkvcxlivbodsijlkvnclkjvboeiudvjbslkdjfbvcoxiuhjblsekrjbdvoicxulbj sdlfkjbvldkjzcxbnvlsadifu fyfcjfyccjyf fuck fuck fuck fuck easdflkajhdpf98r2iohhhefwlskj.cxnlqdsakfnc FUCK

58 minutes ago, FoxtrotUniformCharlieKilo said:

qwerwqwerrrrrrqwqeryquwieryiqowryiqynlhakdsfuoawuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigyoasdfa,jksdvhcojllllllllldffhlaksjdfhlaksjdfhlakjsdfhalskdjfhalskdjfhalskdfhlaskjdfhlaskjdhflaskalskjdfhoqwieuryoqwieudhcskn,v,nzbxm,cvmzcbx,vkjbslzhxoucivhlasdjkvcxlivbodsijlkvnclkjvboeiudvjbslkdjfbvcoxiuhjblsekrjbdvoicxulbj sdlfkjbvldkjzcxbnvlsadifu fyfcjfyccjyf fuck fuck fuck fuck easdflkajhdpf98r2iohhhefwlskj.cxnlqdsakfnc FUCK

:blink:

Steve Clark gives you the opening of a lifetime, and you... really?

I was reaching for the time machine, to be 17 again and be able to say "Steve, forget this loser, I'll take it" :-)

If he's this bad at trolling, imagine how bad he must be at sailing or building. 

Re: the actual question for anybody who's considering such a project. If you have a 4800 square foot fully equipped prototyping shop at your disposal, a deep stack of existing tooling, a deep stack of various rigs, sails, fittings and hardware, good design software, 20 years of intermittent building experience and a couple NAs and engineers available to bounce ideas off of, you should be able to make a small working prototype in about 540 caffeinated man-hours. That's about how long the "Probe" UFO prototype took. Then expect to spend about a month of time on the water tuning it up. If you have all of these things at your disposal, you can avoid spending currency, but you will spend all of the above.  Essentially, paying money is the cheap way to get something.

DRC

1 minute ago, FoxtrotUniformCharlieKilo said:

Foasydfiuashdofiulaaajocbmvjakdhsf,nakhdsjqkweuljfdcbskdhnbflawkdjshFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUK

If you are not a troll, you should really google Steve and Dave Clark. You clearly have no idea who is offering to help you

1 hour ago, Dave Clark said:

If he's this bad at trolling, imagine how bad he must be at sailing or building. 

or generally living! if I was trolling, and much against my worst efforts got a golden ticket into Willy Wonka's factory, I'd turn serious for that.

1 hour ago, Dave Clark said:

540 caffeinated man-hours

So three and half months of regular hours. And then infinite hours to make it into a product, market it, polish, build bazillions of 'em.

Damn admiral bang bang is back at it