Sign in to follow this  
tane

carbon mast - mounting forestay-tang

has anybody ever attached a solentstay-tang to a carbon mast (boatsize ~40') -if so, what reinforcements did you do?

same for running backs & maststeps

(I guess they can't just be fitted like on an aluminium mas without added reinforcements...)

2 hours ago, tane said:

has anybody ever attached a solentstay-tang to a carbon mast (boatsize ~40') -if so, what reinforcements did you do?

same for running backs & maststeps

(I guess they can't just be fitted like on an aluminium mas without added reinforcements...)

Speak to the spar builder before doing anything. 

they tell me that a team from the factory has to come to teh boat, fabricate a special fitting there & glue it on - all to the tune of abt €3000 plus.

So I wonder if there is another way

Consider putting a glass tube through the mast at the hou ds with multiple (check with an engineer) carbon external patches, then either lashed or bolted/split tang fitting.

Colligo is your friend!

photo 3.JPG

That is some nice carbon work isn't it? Seriously, you could do something like this if your have spreader attachments in the right place. 

On 5/4/2018 at 3:46 AM, tane said:

they tell me that a team from the factory has to come to teh boat, fabricate a special fitting there & glue it on - all to the tune of abt €3000 plus.

So I wonder if there is another way

Theres another way.... buy a new mast after this one fails because you pretengineered it.

It's not rocket science, but I think you may want to find someone with carbon spar knowledge to help. All of what you want to do will involve building up wall thickness for fastener holes. That can be done easily, but you will need to know the basic's.

This blog has a bit of spar building stuff: http://gougeon32.blogspot.com/2018/03/catching-up.html

4 hours ago, basketcase said:

Theres another way.... buy a new mast after this one fails because you pretendgineered it.

You left a D out of your very clever new word. I love it Basket!

13 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

You left a D out of your very clever new word. I love it Basket!

Nope.... theres no d in pretengineering.... cept for the guy foing it. He is a bit of a d.

Bond on a low-friction eye with uni carbon fanned out around side and back of the sparPicture

what I want to avoid most, of course, is the tang or the halyard-sheave pulling out of the mast, but the second-most important thing I want to avoid is this strange feeling deep in my guts when the breeze is up & I'm not 1500% sure of the rig...

3 hours ago, tane said:

what I want to avoid most, of course, is the tang or the halyard-sheave pulling out of the mast, but the second-most important thing I want to avoid is this strange feeling deep in my guts when the breeze is up & I'm not 1500% sure of the rig...

Then you will have to have that feeling of lightness in your billfold. Get it engineered and built right.

I do agree 3k is a bit much