Jackdaw

Life with a deep(ish) keel in Miami

Looking at keeping a 2nd boat in Miami, to be used mostly as winter getaway and three season base for local racing and week-long adventures. Was thinking shoal keel at first, but wondered what it was really like to keep a 6-foot draft boat (think shoal 36.7) in the area. I know whole areas of the bay are out-of-bounds, but it can't be a total deal-breaker. What do the local boats do, and where do they stay? I'm sadly assuming that docking it at a premium with all the damage from the storms. Any local knowledge?

docks are at a premium  because they can and the weather

not much storm damage here last storm was west coast of the state/lower keys

but lots of boats so few open docks some sell for a 100k in your size rent 500 to insane

some private river dock at better deals but long motor in/out

anchor or moorings both free or costly are out there mostly clubs or city/county for moorings

but hard if out of town to do maybe local boat sitter/crewman ?

south bay is ok at 6 ft lots of room  and soft bottoms if you do get off course mostly grass covered muck or sand no real inside coral in the bay

most hard reefs are out side the keys

and there are a lot of deep channels to the ocean

but I would go with a CB boat more for the keys bahama  trips

17 minutes ago, nota said:

but lots of boats so few open docks some sell for a 100k in your size rent 500 to insane

anchor or moorings both free or costly are out there mostly clubs or city/county for moorings

south bay is ok at 6 ft lots of room  and soft bottoms if you do get off course mostly grass covered muck or sand no real inside coral in the bay

This. More than 5’ in the Bahamas gets really difficult. 

2 hours ago, Bowchow said:

messaged

Thx, nice chat, lots of insight. 

29 minutes ago, nota said:

That helps thanks, Bowchow also mentioned a ball, based on usage might make more sense. If we wanted we could use money saved to get a transient slip when desired on trips down. We do have (non-sailing) rellies in the area; a 25ish nephew who would be willing to go check on things.

Why Miami? W Palm gets you 3 miles from the inlet 10' channel and good access to the Bahamas. Ft. Lauderdale works as well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

Why Miami? W Palm gets you 3 miles from the inlet 10' channel and good access to the Bahamas. Ft. Lauderdale works as well. 

or other east coast locations....up and down the Florida coast...how important is racing and how realistic is remote racing ? finding a good crew for your interludes 

5 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

or other east coast locations....up and down the Florida coast...how important is racing and how realistic is remote racing ? finding a good crew for your interludes 

Good points. Upon refection the primary use will be cruising. While we have lots of cold crew that have eagerly 'signed up' to come down, the reality is that when its time to press the button to charge the airline tickets that will probaly thin out. As for Miami proper, the only things that have us focused there is 1) My company's HQ is right at the mouth of the Miami river (work crash pad) and we have 2 relatives that we love downtown. But those are not reason enough to rule out being father afield if the cost/benefit tips it that way. 

If you want a local broker to list the boat when you come to sell it be aware that Florida brokers are not always willing to list sailboats that draw 6 ft +

5 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

Good points. Upon refection the primary use will be cruising. While we have lots of cold crew that have eagerly 'signed up' to come down, the reality is that when its time to press the button to charge the airline tickets that will probaly thin out. As for Miami proper, the only things that have us focused there is 1) My company's HQ is right at the mouth of the Miami river (work crash pad) and we have 2 relatives that we love downtown. But those are not reason enough to rule out being father afield if the cost/benefit tips it that way. 

6' is fine in beautiful Biscayne Bay....easy access into the ocean and the Bahamas....or south into Hawks Channel...long and wide...beautiful sailing...Dinner Key Marina....or a spot on the river with a short putt putt~~~~I can forward a river slip possibility , cut into the shore not along the banks...

We had a boat in Ft Lauderdale for years, and did any number of trips to the Bay, the Keys and the Bahamas.  We draw 6'3" it was never an issue.  Only restriction was we had to go outside to get to Miami because of our air draft.  There are certainly places you cannot go in all three location with a 6' draft, but there are any number of locations you can go.  The Bay is no issue, inside down to Islamorada as long as you stick to the channels.  Outside the Hawk Channel will take you all the way to Key West, with a place to spend the night, every night if you wish.  The Bahamas - we have cruised the Biminis, the Abacos, the Berrys, the Exumas, and Conception with 6'+.  

As for brokers not listing 6' draft sailboats - ours is listed with a Southern Florida broker, never mentioned the draft.     

17 hours ago, CCruiser said:

We had a boat in Ft Lauderdale for years, and did any number of trips to the Bay, the Keys and the Bahamas.  We draw 6'3" it was never an issue.  Only restriction was we had to go outside to get to Miami because of our air draft.  There are certainly places you cannot go in all three location with a 6' draft, but there are any number of locations you can go.  The Bay is no issue, inside down to Islamorada as long as you stick to the channels.  Outside the Hawk Channel will take you all the way to Key West, with a place to spend the night, every night if you wish.  The Bahamas - we have cruised the Biminis, the Abacos, the Berrys, the Exumas, and Conception with 6'+.  

As for brokers not listing 6' draft sailboats - ours is listed with a Southern Florida broker, never mentioned the draft.     

Hey CC that's handy stuff.

What was your air draft? I assume? that that route could be all ICW.

Re the keel draft and cruising, I had a similar experience when I had the deep keel 367 at 7.25. People said race sure, but you'll never cruise it well in the Apostle Islands, all the docks are too shoal. But it did just fine. You just set your expectations to what you can do, and get on with it.

20 hours ago, TQA said:

If you want a local broker to list the boat when you come to sell it be aware that Florida brokers are not always willing to list sailboats that draw 6 ft +

Gee I have 2 sailboats listed in SE Florida. Drafts are 8'9" and 7'6". Stupid me!

I say it's tricky but manageable if you have good charts/chartplotter. Bottom in Biscayne Bay is soft/grassy/muddy so you'll sometimes till the earth...

Heading South to the Keys I would recommend Hawk Channel, not ICW as depth is not reliable in some stretches past Key Largo. ActiveCaptain's annotated map has some danger spots marked.

However, if Miami/Keys/Bahamas will be the stomping grounds, 5ft is a lot less stress.

35 minutes ago, martin.langhoff said:

I say it's tricky but manageable if you have good charts/chartplotter. Bottom in Biscayne Bay is soft/grassy/muddy so you'll sometimes till the earth...

Heading South to the Keys I would recommend Hawk Channel, not ICW as depth is not reliable in some stretches past Key Largo. ActiveCaptain's annotated map has some danger spots marked.

However, if Miami/Keys/Bahamas will be the stomping grounds, 5ft is a lot less stress.[b/]....thing about depth....no matter how much your boat draws....you always seem to run aground.... :P

• Like 1

Offer made and accepted! Crazy deal. Looking at flights now. 

7 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Offer made and accepted! Crazy deal. Looking at flights now. 

What dis you buy :)

On 5/3/2018 at 7:15 PM, SailBlueH2O said:
On 5/3/2018 at 6:37 PM, martin.langhoff said:

However, if Miami/Keys/Bahamas will be the stomping grounds, 5ft is a lot less stress.[b/]....

thing about depth....no matter how much your boat draws....you always seem to run aground.... :P

Shallow draft allows you to run aground in much more interesting places.

FB- Doug

The bay is plenty deep for 6+ and just follow channels when navigating, once in the stream you're GTG obviously.  Also, the city of Miami began charging for those "free" moorings outside of Coconut Grove years ago, and also enacted some sanitary restrictions (disrupting the homeless population).

1 hour ago, jetfuel said:

36.7. Helps that know the boat, and the three cabins will come in handy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

36.7. Helps that know the boat, and the three cabins will come in handy. 

Bendy Toy?  Niiiiiicccceeee!  Congrats!

nice! Count me in for crew anytime! Love Miami. Stayed in Coconut Grove on Biscayne Beay with the Seascape 24 two winters ago

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Bendy Toy?  Niiiiiicccceeee!  Congrats!

Yepper. And when you  live 1000 miles away, there is something to be said for a solid, uncomplicated boat!

3 hours ago, jetfuel said:

nice! Count me in for crew anytime! Love Miami. Stayed in Coconut Grove on Biscayne Beay with the Seascape 24 two winters ago

Got you on speed-dial, buddy!