Houston

Where to Buy Marine Plywood?

Any suggestions on where to buy marine plywood in the Connecticut area? Home Depot has A/B, but I'm wary... 

I only need a single sheet.

Thanks!

What are you making?  If it's an interior job, you can get away with G1S(or spring for G2S) with exterior grade glue.  Not as good but a fraction of the price and commonly available, a lot of boat builders here use it at the factory. 

Thanks!

I'm replacing a plywood board that the holding tank sits on under the vberth. It is fastened to the hull with 6 screws and a good bit of glue (so I can't use starboard) and I think the board is coated in epoxy. I'm installing a larger holding tank and need a slightly larger platform.

Use exterior fir ply coated with epoxy.

5 minutes ago, Houston said:

Thanks!

I'm replacing a plywood board that the holding tank sits on under the vberth. It is fastened to the hull with 6 screws and a good bit of glue (so I can't use starboard) and I think the board is coated in epoxy. I'm installing a larger holding tank and need a slightly larger platform.

oh yeah, G1S will do nicely for that(good one side, any knots filled with cut wood inserts).  Cut to fit nice side up, coat it 2x with resin of your choice(epoxy or poly) and stick it in place.  If you want to get fancy, second coat can be gelcoat(grey waxed) or a quick coat of paint on the epoxy.   Use filler(not glue) to bed it, short strand will do, long strand is better(but more annoying to work).   Buy it from somewhere that store plywood indoors. 

You’ll want to go to ML Condon Lumber, 250 Ferris Ave, White Plains. One of the best wood stores on the East Coast.

They have stacks of marine ply in stock, many thicknesses, full and half sheets. How thick do you need? I’m ten minutes south of them and happen to have overbought an extra 4x8 sheet that I’d just as soon get rid of. It’s either 1/4” or 3/16”.

They had a slab of Sitka spruce in stock waiting for me to stroll by when I needed to fabricate new spreaders for my ‘69 about fifteen years ago. On the shelf! I thought I was going to have to go chop down a tree in Alaska.

They did politely laugh at me when I tried to buy a few dozen plain eight-foot 2x4s last year. “White pine, sir? Perhaps you’d like to try Home Depot for that.”

On 5/2/2018 at 8:36 PM, tenders said:

You’ll want to go to ML Condon Lumber, 250 Ferris Ave, White Plains. One of the best wood stores on the East Coast.

They have stacks of marine ply in stock, many thicknesses, full and half sheets. How thick do you need? I’m ten minutes south of them and happen to have overbought an extra 4x8 sheet that I’d just as soon get rid of. It’s either 1/4” or 3/16”.

They had a slab of Sitka spruce in stock waiting for me to stroll by when I needed to fabricate new spreaders for my ‘69 about fifteen years ago. On the shelf! I thought I was going to have to go chop down a tree in Alaska.

They did politely laugh at me when I tried to buy a few dozen plain eight-foot 2x4s last year. “White pine, sir? Perhaps you’d like to try Home Depot for that.”

Yep - fully agree

That Condon outfit has been advertising in the sailing mags for at least 50 years now.