Sign in to follow this  
jgbrown

Bought a new toy for electrical. (Power probe IV)

I figure it shaved about 3 hours off the estimated time for putting back together a horribly abused DC system.  Owner had dozens of dead wires,  took everything apart without labeling anything, and had fuses literally rotting out of their sockets in inline holders pulled behind the liner(also the ever popular colour changing wire goes in one colour comes out somewhere else another), 4 bilge pumps each with a different, special way of being wired, including float switches on ground(on pumps with manual and automatic switches at the helm to boot).

https://www.powerprobe.com/pp401as-page/

Hook it up to the battery directly, no screwing about with extra clips and test leads it's all built right in by the handle and has a 20' cable.  Test circuit just by touching the probe to a wire, it will indicate hot or ground with colour coded LED and audio tone.  Can apply power(or have it act as a ground) with the switch to confirm functions.   I bet on bilge pumps alone this saved an hour.   The power probe 3 would do the job just as well(and I would buy this if I were buying one again) but I found a screaming deal on a 4 and liked the fancy screen.    For anyone troubleshooting a new to them old boat, this thing would be amazing.  It's already become one of the most popular tools in the shop. 

Looks cool, but it sounds as though you'll have to go down the route of ripping it all out and doing a complete re-wire, sooner rather than later!

6 minutes ago, Fleetwood said:

Looks cool, but it sounds as though you'll have to go down the route of ripping it all out and doing a complete re-wire, sooner rather than later!

He should have.  It would have taken maybe an extra 6-8 hours tops and we could have done it end to end, instead of leaving the helm 90% still a shit show.  I even offered him a 200$ discount off the full re-wire to tempt him.  Can lead a horse to water but... This tool is seriously amazing though.  It doesn't replace a DMM, but if I had to pick any one tool to add to that it would be this. 

Sorry, I misread the OP, I thought it was your boat. Still, I expect you'll be called back for more work soon enough!