Kirch65

Removing a bulkhead and keeping it out!

I have an early 70’s Islander 30 mk II. 

I am rebedding the toerails which have  have been a source of leakage for long enough to have caused enough breakdown of the forward teak “semi” bulkhead. The forward shrouds are bolted into this 1/2” plywood. The two pieces came out so easily I saw no sense in trying to patch and re-skin/laminate another sheet on top to tie everything together. 

Removing those two doors around the head and with that forward bulkhead gone makes everything different as far as an actual useable and comfortable space is concerned. There is light, airflow, and much easier to move around in. It is somewhat of a Rubik’s cube of steps to get in and out of there with those two doors. 

I am seriously considering cutting back that bulkhead , above the cabinets, and keeping that area opened up. I would leave a sizeable piece of plywood bolted to the cabinetry below to connect the shroud as it was done originally, but am really thinking about leaving it open above. The biggest drawback I can see from this is that this bulkhead bisects the forward hatch and is providing some support for weight from above. I’ll have to get a heavier friend up there to see how much it flexes. 

Anyone here go through this thought process before with a boat like this? 

‘Thanks. 

Pics?

Don't do it - Or if you do have someone take video when you beat to windward in more than 20kts  - We love Darwin moments 

• Like 1

Thought I would provide a couple of photos of an I 30 showing the bulkheads so others can provide some feedback.  I know very little of these boats but the aft main bulkhead has the compression post attached and I assume also has the shroud chain plates.  The forward one I assume has the forward lowers attached.  In front of the second one is a partial one tied to the aft end of the v-berth (If I am interpreting the photos correctly)

On the whole, I agree with ScowVegas.  I would never want to reduce or eliminate structural components of any type. 

5847790_20160702110555695_1_LARGE.jpg

5847790_20160702110558450_1_LARGE.jpg

Could you do a beam of destiny a la Olson 30 to give the deck some rigidity and tie the two chainplate bulkheads together? 

picolson30106h.jpg

• Like 1

Scow, I appreciate the input! It is not as harsh as I thought it was going to be, actually. 50% "You're crazy!" and 50% "What about this?" Not bad! See attached image!

Perhaps when someone has the piece right in front of their eyes and bits and pieces of it in their hair it actually is something to consider. I would love to have access to the conversation that the designer , Perry? had with the company about laying out this boat. Wouldn't be surprised to hear in that conversation somewhere something from the guy who did the hiring and was figuring out his market saying something like- "We need to have a separate head that is partitioned off from the v berth. I don't care how much of a pain in the ass it is going to be ..."

Am adding some photos. The blue on the removed bulkheads are the general areas that I was considering removing. The red lines on the interior of the boat would be the idea of how it would fit. The forward shroud connection is shown in the bulkhead_remove_3 image. Same on other side but that plate has been removed.

Ryly, the "Beam of Destiny" would hit the hatch midway. I was considering, though, 2 "Posts of Prudence." Hinged!

I am fixing this up to sell, actually. I want to clean up the major issues before I pass it on. We picked this up as a learner a couple of years ago. We liked sailing around so much that we bought a 38' Beneteau Idyll from the early 80's. I will probably stick with the safe bet and put full partitions in. More for the marketing side of things than structural. An enclosed head appears to be somewhat of a luxury.

IMG_0135.JPG.07b1f2f287929a04c272ed9964349c60.JPG

bulkhead_remove_1_web.jpg

bulkhead_remove_2_web.jpg

bulkhead_remove_3_web.jpg

If you are fixing to sell then don't fuck with it - replace like with like.

i'm no engineer, nor did I stay at a holiday inn, but I don't think the coach roof would like the lack of support...

Yeah... I think that’s the plan again. Repair it how it was. Back on track. Got a little excited there for a moment! Whoah big fella! 

Thanks again for the input.

My WAG is that you could maybe put an aluminum pole in combination with a partial stringer on each side to hold the coach roof up, but why bother?