Sign in to follow this  
Later

Spinnaker Pole- Bridle or No Bridle

Hey,

I need a new spinnaker pole for my Olson 911s.  J is 12.3 feet, I is 41.9 feet and the spinnaker is about 760 feet^2.  The old pole is a 3 inch OD aluminum pole.

Forte offers a 3 inch OD carbon pole without bridles (center point pick).  Forespar has a 3 inch OD carbon pole with bridles.

Does anybody have experience with using a center pick Forte pole?  Is it strong/Stiff enough?

Thanks, Later

Are you end for end or dip pole gybing? That's more likely to dictate whether you use a bridle or not.

We went through this decision with a smaller pole (2.5" x 12') and ended up with a bridle, though people do it both ways.

I had Forte build me for my J35 a carbon pole with Bridles. And also with trip lines.  This way, in light to moderate winds, we do end for end gybes and then switch to dip pole is wanted for heavier stuff.

Gorn

We do end for end jibes.   We have a old Hall Spar Quick Jibe Pole with the swiveling end for dip pole jibing (never have tried it)

Later

I'd say bridle for end for end then.

Zonker

thanks for the reply.   How do bridles help for end to end jibes?

Later

They don't exactly help, but an end-for-end pole needs to work both ways so you would otherwise have to put the topper and foreguy in the middle of the pole causing large-ish bending loads on the pole. For dip pole, you can put your up and down at the end of the pole instead, minimizing those loads.

I would go with a bridle, because that is what I'm used to when doing end to end. Bridle-less would be a bit cleaner, but I don't know if the bridles are that much more of a pain. 

Out of curiosity, what's the pricing for each option? 

I would go bridle, I sail two different boats in the same size as a 911, one center point , one bridle, I find the bridle pole is more stable when end for ending. 

Back of the boat often doesn't care about such things, but I find the pole floats fairly level on the bridle. 

A bridle will naturally hang horizontal, center point will pivot to vertical.  

• Like 2

Center point would also require a heavier pole.  A standard pole with bridle only sees compression forces, since the bridle is pulling the ends together and the sail and mast loads are also at the ends.  A center point pole needs to withstand bending forces since the topping lift or downhaul is pulling at different points than the sail and mast.

alex (not a structural engineer)

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the input - I found some postings elsewhere for a carbon pole with a center pick on a Beneteau 36.2.  Their experience was that the pole would bend a lot when loaded up.   I think I will stick with a bridle.

Thanks, later 

Good info for some of us lightly-experienced ones.  My pole has... half a bridle, WTF?  I've been assuming that the other half was broken at some point and replaced it with a bit of line.  But is there such a thing as a half-bridle?  

Yes, I've seen poles with a single topper and a bridle foreguy/downhaul. The big bending loads tend to be against the foreguy as the sail pulls the pole up, not the other way around.

Running some elastic inside a dyneema bridle keeps things tidy when not in use

If you provide the downforce on the pole end with a guy led forward, or tweak the sheet forward when it is used as a guy, it should be ok.  Might have to ease the downhaul when it loads up and bends too much.  Just not as foolproof as a bridle.  The center point topping lift seems safer, but again, you have to be smart enough to not grind down the guy without easing the topper.

end-to-end jibes = bridle imho

I have the Forte pole you are talking about for an SR 33. I went with the center pick for as long as I could and thought it work great for end to end jibes. Also with no bridle there were a lot less lines floating around. The center position started to loosen up and slide, so I had build a bridle for it. That was the only problem I found with it.

Damcoyote

Thank you for your input.   Did the pole bend much with just the center-pick point?

Later

Yes, the pole would bend. Contacted Forte about this and their response was that it was designed to do it. If you look at pics of J boats with sprits in big air they all have a good bend on.

I also have a forte center-pick pole for a 33’ masthead kite boat. It’s almost as heavy as the aluminum one it replaced and makes me wish we’d gone bridle to shave weight. It doesn’t flex. Also, it’s damn slippery when wet. Had to put grip tape on it for the bow crew. That said, it is a lot less line to tangle.

Center point is easier to stash on deck when you have to get the pole out of the way fast.  No longer need the pit man to set the topper every launch either, just leave it preset.  

I.e. "lose the pole, free float, the kite and douse"

You don't have to dump the topper to get the pole down, just trip it, unclip the center point, slide it back and slam it on the shroud.  Pole stashed and clear.  Topper and downfucker are preset for next launch.