Sign in to follow this  
Black Jack

Stemhead chainplate recommendations

My 30' custom sloop needs a new stemhead and chainplate as the stainless is failing and rust is between welds due a serious collision last year.. I got one bid but it seemed high. I think I can buy on off the shelf one for a J30 or a Farr 30 that could be under 200. I was also considering just a heavy duty tang and a plate. 

Got any suggestions for me to consider?

Just have a proper one fabricated.  Fabricators are just trying to make a living.   Support your local shop.

• Like 1

^ This.

I've had a fair bit of stainless fabrication done over the years and it really isn't that costly - doing a bodge on something "close" for a fitting as critical as a headstay fitting to save maybe a couple of $hundred is false economy.

How much does a rig cost?

1 hour ago, ExOmo said:

Just have a proper one fabricated.  Fabricators are just trying to make a living.   Support your local shop.

Would like to very much. Right now I am looking at a $500 difference.

my goto Ballanger Spars told me they were too busy to do any custom work for me with a condescending tone... 

Try Garhauer.  They just did a custom ubolt for me, a replacement for a deforming Schaefer part.  Schaefer asked me to go away.  Garhauer gladly took the job, super easy to deal with, and reasonably priced.  

9 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Would like to very much. Right now I am looking at a $500 difference.

my goto Ballanger Spars told me they were too busy to do any custom work for me with a condescending tone... 

You don't need a rigger, any welding shop can do it for you. The days of welding S/S & aluminium being some sort of magic are long gone.

+1 on a welding shop, find one in your area that specializes in stainless and alloy, every city has one or more. They are just making a fitting, not a marine stem fitting, and the price is often reflected in that.

+2. I needed a new bow fitting for an anchor roller and stopped by a neighborhood place that does railings, range hoods and such. It turns out the owner used to crew on racing boats and new what was required. The local marine fab places wouldn't return my calls.