Sign in to follow this  
Sheetinmaxout

Corsair 970

Thinking about a large trailerable tri. Any recent intel? Are these worth a look?

Any other suggestions for an aging, Aussie, retired multihull cruiser?

Ok, not much action on this one. Any other suggestions for a decent sized trailerable cruising multi?

Farrier boats up to the f33(no idea if that would fit to Aussie road regs) The quorning boat’s are a bit more painful as you need to dismount the akas, but they are a bit more plush.  There are several sizes of grainger boats, and a raft of bamboo bombers that would travel but take time to assemble and disassemble in the transition from road to water.

I would check out the F-33 from Multihulls Direct in Subic bay if looking for a trailerable that size.

Thanks for the advice so far. I think i would prefer to buy a production boat on a trailer (maybe new). Don’t want to race, don’t want a gin palace, just something big enough to spend a week at a time on and small enough to tow to the starting point, for coastal cruising adventures.

Production boats are overrated... Multihulls Direct builds to a high standard, and some of the home-builds are way above production boat quality as well. 

I looked at the 970 before buying my current boat and decided against it. 

The current generation Farrier boats of that size (32/33) offer more space even in the narrow version because of the updated beam attachments. With the wider X version it's no comparison. If I lived in Italy or another place where wide-load permits are hard to get, I might have chosen differently.

BTW, the current Dragonfly 28 is trailerable without dismounting and much larger than it's nomimal 28 feet. It's nearly as big inside as a Corsair 31 - weight and sail area are in a similar ballpark as well, just in a shorter package, if I remember correctly. 

Paul 

• Like 1

Multihulls direct doesn't count as a production builder?  They have built 20+ of the same boat.  Before Ian's death, he posted that they were going to start building the F22 as well. So I think we can assume Ian was happy with their build quality.

I have an F-27.  For me and one other, this is comfortable for a week at a time.  Also easy to single hand.  I launch infrequently, as I keep it in the water, but I have done it alone and it isn't bad.  I'm sure if you do it frequently, it would become much easier.  I used to have a demountable Crowther 24. PITA.

I have always believed that a production boat/trailer package give the purchaser the best chance of satisfaction if there are problems after handover. Not really interested in having to sort out home builder problems or deal with neglect or lack of maintenance.

i guess Corsair and Farrier are my options. Was hoping for some feedback from someone who owns one of the recent designs. Brochures arent always realistic.

@Sheetinmaxout: Try the Yahoo F-Boat group. There are multiple 970 owners on that list.

Paul

A new danish production trimaran is the black marlin

Vision boats

I,ve been on the prototype ( before its first sail ) and its a very spacious boat. It’s also very fast and has a modified version of the dragonfly folding system.

2 hours ago, nyker said:

Vision boats

I,ve been on the prototype ( before its first sail ) and its a very spacious boat. It’s also very fast and has a modified version of the dragonfly folding system.

Nice..

I have always liked barracudas lines and wood finish. 

F 33 here... production boat from Australia ....    Why you think Multihull Direct I s not a production ? Dunno about rules of the road down under. Mine here in the US is about a foot too wide to be legal.... but I don't care, and so far never stopped. Several trips from and back to Florida and trips from home to the lake.  My boat lives in the water and just gets out during winter. I have a big slip and don't need to fold.  The time it takes the boat from sailready to road ready is way way longer than anywhere posted. If you have 3 people who know what they are doing ..well than its a different story .. 

For real trailer sailor stuff...  I would not go over 28 foot ...  everything gets much much bigger after that

For what you are planning on using it for, a F31 UC (Ultimate Cruiser) will do nicely.

I haven't sailed a 970 yet - hoping to soon.  I took a look at one on the hard the other day; I was impressed by its general fit & finish, and I really like the cockpit layout - the benches appear to be a clever way of expanding the narrow transom & getting you out of the spray while cruising.  I'd be interested to see/hear how they work in reality.  Accommodations are spartan but seem quite functional.  V-berth seems short.  Really big on a trailer; I'd never tow it myself unless I bought a proper towing vehicle.  Like the idea of paying someone to haul it to, say, the PNW and flying in with the family for the summer, but not sure if that would ever happen in reality.  

Dragonfly 28's are like hen's teeth it seems - what do they run in USD, sailaway?  I'm struggling with the ~US$210k price of the 970; that buys a lot of boat.  I think it's biggest competition is a good used C31 if you're okay with slightly smaller volume belowdecks.  Or something like a Pogo 36, which would (I think) be a good bit slower on most points of sail but still fun, with far more accommodation below and a lot more offshore capability.  Very different but a similar non-conventional appeal.  If I wanted to trailer it myself regularly I'd think about a 760 or maybe a seascape 27.  

On 5/5/2018 at 6:02 PM, Sheetinmaxout said:

Thinking about a large trailerable tri. Any recent intel? Are these worth a look?

Any other suggestions for an aging, Aussie, retired multihull cruiser?

Hi Sheetin.... where are you based.  I have just returned from a regatta where we raced against a 970.  The boat performed very well across the wind range and looked very slick.  It was an older 970 but was impressed with the quality of boat.   

Sheetin, I see you are from Australia.  Contact Brent from Multihull Central, he has a 970R (Race spec - just different rig) coming into the country very soon.  I believe it lands the week after Sanctuary Cove. 

On 5/7/2018 at 1:11 PM, nyker said:

Vision boats

Beautiful ride, very nice interior to boot and good price!

To the O.P, I would be weary of many (all) production boat builders in any space...initial quality and factory warranties aren't what they used to be. I have a few stories on that front but no need to take them public. There is plenty of sage advice hear on the forums, Farrier Marine, Multihulls Direct and Dragonfly all built top quality boats from what I have seen and heard.

If I was buying a new I'd be talking to  Multihulls Direct.

I don't know these people,  its  just the quality of their build.

I expect Farrier Marine to be similar but I have not experienced any of their production boats.

19 hours ago, Tornado_ALIVE said:

Hi Sheetin.... where are you based.  I have just returned from a regatta where we raced against a 970.  The boat performed very well across the wind range and looked very slick.  It was an older 970 but was impressed with the quality of boat.   

old 970, do you mean a Dash mk1 or 2?

970 has new style ama's so lots different on the water I presume with its bigger righting moment

6 hours ago, Sailabout said:

old 970, do you mean a Dash mk1 or 2?

970 has new style ama's so lots different on the water I presume with its bigger righting moment

Sorry, current shape 970 Cruze.  

1A497B11-C3E4-4FEB-85F6-029A140D7AA2.jpeg

That was before the big big big nosedive last weekend. Missed it myself but applause was given from the crowd as she popped back out of the hole. Masthead kite and 25 plus knots from behind.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, plywoodboy said:

That was before the big big big nosedive last weekend. Missed it myself but applause was given from the crowd as she popped back out of the hole. Masthead kite and 25 plus knots from behind.

Yep impressive boatspeed in those conditions. They just kept powering through when I had to back off a little in the 22. 

Was very fresh at the very end.  Was wondering why everyone was dropping kites around us.  Saw a pressure line coming through and decided to gybe  into it to send it down the course.  Next thing we were nose diving.  Tried to get the bag off the Port tramp and relocate to the starboard for the drop but the tramp was under water :blink:.  Decided to stuff the kite into the cockpit.  Was still nose diving without the kite.

Passed a man overboard, boats broaching, broken rigs and others in all sorts of trouble.  I had a GoPro on a helmet at the time....... will upload the video soon :D

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tornado_ALIVE said:

Was very fresh at the very end.  Was wondering why everyone was dropping kites around us.  Saw a pressure line coming through and decided to gybe  into it to send it down the course.  Next thing we were nose diving.  Tried to get the bag off the Port tramp and relocate to the starboard for the drop but the tramp was under water :blink:.  Decided to stuff the kite into the cockpit.  Was still nose diving without the kite.

Passed a man overboard, boats broaching, broken rigs and others in all sorts of trouble.  I had a GoPro on a helmet at the time....... will upload the video soon :D

Can,t wait to see it, which boat were you on? Wind was awesome but the biggest gust hit us dropping the mast in the car park. Feel blessed to be at TCB doing a regatta with 11 wetas in a solid westerly with a glamour race to Inskip Point and back on billiard table water.

28 minutes ago, plywoodboy said:

Can,t wait to see it, which boat were you on? Wind was awesome but the biggest gust hit us dropping the mast in the car park. Feel blessed to be at TCB doing a regatta with 11 wetas in a solid westerly with a glamour race to Inskip Point and back on billiard table water.

I was on the Corsair 760.   BTW, congrats on the win, you guys sailed very well in some testing conditions.

11 hours ago, Tornado_ALIVE said:

Wow glad we missed that. Didn’t need to drop the kite at any stage but had a few interesting moments. It got full on though as we motored in to the harbour. 

We always carry a spare bage on the other tramp for just such moments. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tornado_ALIVE said:

I was on the Corsair 760.   BTW, congrats on the win, you guys sailed very well in some testing conditions.

Thanks mate, now I have you connected! You guys must have been busy 2 up, always nice till anything turns to poo. With 4 on the 28R we were still plenty busy but I could enjoy mainly steering. We got the strongest wind heading into the harbour and trying to drop the mast safely.

Oh FFS, would someone please throw Keith a few bucks for one of the best trailerable tris in the world, ever, Trilogy!!

It’s criminal that thing is not being sailed. 

Seriously, 20 years on and it’s still the best of the best! For the amount that’s been pumped into it compared with whatever Keith will hold out for you’d be so far ahead it’s not funny. 

7 hours ago, LionIsland said:

Oh FFS, would someone please throw Keith a few bucks for one of the best trailerable tris in the world, ever, Trilogy!!

Seriously, 20 years on and it’s still the best of the best! For the amount that’s been pumped into it compared with whatever Keith will hold out for you’d be so far ahead it’s not funny. 

well Pil???

21 hours ago, LionIsland said:

Or Time Machine so it doesn't disappear o/s.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:38 PM, Tornado_ALIVE said:

I may have talked it up a bit :lol:...... here is the video.

Nice vid, its always fun to see how others do things. None of those nosedives looked too scary to me, but video always makes things look tame. Your drop actually worked pretty well going into the cockpit. How fast were you going in the video? 

No big ‘park it’ stuffs, I have certainly stuffed it deeper however the breeze was building further and we had to harden up on the breeze a bit more.  There were a lot of boats getting into trouble around us.

We were coming into the finish so I was not concerned about stuffing into a bag if we did not plan on resetting.  Was certainly quicker and easier, particularly running 2 up. Not sure on boat speed.

9 hours ago, LionIsland said:

I know which one I’d prefer to take, in a flash. 

Is there a link that detailing Trilogy for sale? I looked but couldn't find one.

BTW: happy with what I have just wondering in case anyone else was looking.

2 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Is there a link that detailing Trilogy for sale? I looked but couldn't find one.

BTW: happy with what I have just wondering in case anyone else was looking.

yes inquiring minds would love to know.... she's an awesome design, well dialed in....:)

On 5/13/2018 at 8:38 AM, Tornado_ALIVE said:

I may have talked it up a bit :lol:...... here is the video.

That mast rotating past 90% seems excessive... care to comment... just curious 

On 5/14/2018 at 5:49 AM, Chidz said:

well Pil???

Trilogy and Time machine are both great boats...... I would probably own either of them by now other than....

1 - My only option is a mooring as i'm in Sydney.. Not ideal but....

2 - I have done a serious ring around and found no one to insure either.... $80,000- $100,000 for me is a lot to lose....

Watch this space Childz.... I will know more next week...

The C760 is a great little boat and being able to trailer it and set up in 30mins is appealing .... Who insures it...?

1 hour ago, PIL007 said:

Watch this space Childz.... I will know more next week...

The C760 is a great little boat and being able to trailer it and set up in 30mins is appealing .... Who insures it...?

I've got my Sprint through NRMA. They previously haven't asked about 'trimarans' (which is a dirty word in insurance circles), just recorded as a 'multihull' and everybody is happy ... though could always do with a cheaper premium!

btw - Brian says 'get back to work ... '

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PIL007 said:

That mast rotating past 90% seems excessive... care to comment... just curious 

If it is past 90, it would not be much.  I thought she was more 90.  The shape of the rotation arm may give the impression it is past 90 though.

Just fully releases as we do on beach cats off the breeze.

• Like 2

IMHO the main was eased to the nose dive position as in like a 4kt SB DDW?

3 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

TA what happened regarding the man overboard?

Not sure how he fell of but was picked up by the committee boat.  2 x MOB’s, 4 broken masts and apparently a small yacht sunk. It was a little full on at the end.