I'm about to order a new Deckvest 5D.  The 275N model seems hard to come by.  Is there a reason not to go with the higher flotation version?

2 hours ago, sshow bob said:

I'm about to order a new Deckvest 5D.  The 275N model seems hard to come by.  Is there a reason not to go with the higher flotation version?

No, it is a tiny bit heavier but more comfortable IMHO.  And obviously keeps you floating higher.  Just note that the (bigger) re-arm kit is not as readily available as the 170N version.  You should also check out the Crewsafe VOR version as well as the new Spinlock model developed for VOR (may just be around the corner for release to the public)

Apart from the question as to why you need 275N?  Not having met I don't know your physique or sailing plans, but 99% of sailors I've met only need a 150-170N. I only ever recommended 275N to Police. Ports, Industrial type users.

Thanks. Will do.

I'm your basic 200 pound American male. Maybe 150 is enough.

2 hours ago, Jono said:

Apart from the question as to why you need 275N?  Not having met I don't know your physique or sailing plans, but 99% of sailors I've met only need a 150-170N. I only ever recommended 275N to Police. Ports, Industrial type users.

In harsh conditions offshore you want to float as high as possible - unless you want to try drinking the sea dry.  For inshore, I fully agree that a 170N is plenty

They have a sprayhood that should handle that.  The larger vest will make everything you do even more awkward.  It tough getting into a life raft with a 170,  the 275 would be even more difficult.  

Of course the best system is to stay inside the fence!

Having said that the CYCA now mandates a PFD any time it gets dark OR blows over 25 knots.  They don't insist that you clip on though.

TUBBY

Thanks for the input guys.  I'm one of those dorks who wears his inflatable all the time underway aboard, and clips in when alone; effectively alone (as in the other people on the boat can't necessarily recover me); at night; when its blowing, etc.  I believe that if I'm in the water there's a good chance I'm dead, so I don't want to be in the water.

This purchase is for the Bermuda race, hence the interest in the higher flotation version.  I'm going to see if I can borrow the standard thing this weekend and go swimming.

SSB

• Like 1

Try it out in the wave pool. 
I'd be surprised if you still want the 275N.

15 hours ago, SailFast-LiveLong said:

They have a sprayhood that should handle that.  The larger vest will make everything you do even more awkward.  It tough getting into a life raft with a 170,  the 275 would be even more difficult.  

Have you been in the water with both?  In waves?  Did you not notice a difference?

I have been in the water - with both and from my experience I can tell you that there is quite a bit of difference.  I use a 170N inshore and a 275N offshore.

BTW - had no problems getting into a liferaft wearing the 275N 

If you are just commenting without actual knowledge/experience then just file your post under "meaningless conjecture and guesswork"

Christian is special so we must all be hacks so this is just  "meaningless conjecture and guesswork"

BUT, the new VOR Spinlock is speced at 170N. At 200#, you don't need the 275N and in fact i expect it to be so bulky that is slows you down for anything except drinking wine while motoring! Your call.

3 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Christian is special so we must all be hacks so this is just  "meaningless conjecture and guesswork"

BUT, the new VOR Spinlock is speced at 170N. At 200#, you don't need the 275N and in fact i expect it to be so bulky that is slows you down for anything except drinking wine while motoring! Your call.

Nah - I just call bullshit when peeps come out with unfounded claims without any factual knowledge or experience - like you just did

I too hate the weight and the bulk of the 275N. The 60gm cylinder is a killer, and a low profile PFD is easier to move around the boat and therefore faster and IMO safer on a race boat. I totally agree that you can get in the raft with a 275. Raft entry is 90% technique, and 10% having someone pull you in on the bounce (% may vary)

And yep. I've I've sold thousands of inflatable PFDs, wear them racing, and tried them in the water. I don't know DarkHorse, ignored his little poke, but mostly agree with his point about the 275N.

Thanks for clearing that up, Christian.  It must be easier to get into the raft with that 275 than it is with the 170, NOT.   I am not sure I could get off my back in an inflated 275. Let alone be able to help anyone else into the raft, and then getting myself in the life raft. No, I haven't done it with a 275, only with the 170.   After pushing a few large bodies up a raft ladder as others in the raft were pulling, I was physically drained.  It used up a significant portion of my energy reserves getting everyone else into the raft.  Part of that is my age, and part was helping others. It had to be done, there was no one else to help, so I did it.  This was a training session in the pool at the Citadel, so no waves, no wind, and no real danger.   I had to let about 30% of the air out of the 170 so I could move enough to help others. As for myself, I will stick with the tried and true, old school 170.  If the 275 was better for a 200lb sailor the attornies would make us sign off when we buy their underperforming 170 vests. If there is any statistical data that says the 275 is safer, I would love to read it.  Or maybe its just unfounded claims from a test group of one.  One Christian, floating higher.   Higher must be safer, right?  Go ahead and float higher, it's your call, your opinion, your dime.  I hope the next time you want to rip a new one for someone that you try and find something worth rising from the slimy depths to chew on them.  Chew on someone your own size, twinkle toes.  I am a newbie:  However, I am no longer virgin.  I have you to thank for that.  You could have at least bought me dinner before fucking me. 

I am looking for one sailor for the Bermuda 1-2 in June 2019. The Bermuda 1-2 is a singlehand race to Bermuda and doublehand back to Newport. I need I sailor for the return race. How are you on the foredeck? Ace on a retractable sprit with a sock. Roller furling with 140% and a removable Salient stay for Solent sail and storm jib. Triple reef main, slab reefing from the mast. Kind of Shut the fuck up,,,,And then,,,,Hay, you want to race back from Bermuda with me?

Do I have this right,  Christian has invited you to sail 2 handed with him back from Bermuda !!!!!!!  And he doesn't even know you.

Close, I asked Christian if he would be interested in sailing the return race with me.

If he is interested we will go sailing and decide if it works for both of us. 

19 hours ago, SailFast-LiveLong said:

Thanks for clearing that up, Christian.  It must be easier to get into the raft with that 275 than it is with the 170, NOT.   I am not sure I could get off my back in an inflated 275. Let alone be able to help anyone else into the raft, and then getting myself in the life raft. No, I haven't done it with a 275, only with the 170.   After pushing a few large bodies up a raft ladder as others in the raft were pulling, I was physically drained.  It used up a significant portion of my energy reserves getting everyone else into the raft.  Part of that is my age, and part was helping others. It had to be done, there was no one else to help, so I did it.  This was a training session in the pool at the Citadel, so no waves, no wind, and no real danger.   I had to let about 30% of the air out of the 170 so I could move enough to help others. As for myself, I will stick with the tried and true, old school 170.  If the 275 was better for a 200lb sailor the attornies would make us sign off when we buy their underperforming 170 vests. If there is any statistical data that says the 275 is safer, I would love to read it.  Or maybe its just unfounded claims from a test group of one.  One Christian, floating higher.   Higher must be safer, right?  Go ahead and float higher, it's your call, your opinion, your dime.  I hope the next time you want to rip a new one for someone that you try and find something worth rising from the slimy depths to chew on them.  Chew on someone your own size, twinkle toes.  I am a newbie:  However, I am no longer virgin.  I have you to thank for that.  You could have at least bought me dinner before fucking me. 

I am looking for one sailor for the Bermuda 1-2 in June 2019. The Bermuda 1-2 is a singlehand race to Bermuda and doublehand back to Newport. I need I sailor for the return race. How are you on the foredeck? Ace on a retractable sprit with a sock. Roller furling with 140% and a removable Salient stay for Solent sail and storm jib. Triple reef main, slab reefing from the mast. Kind of Shut the fuck up,,,,And then,,,,Hay, you want to race back from Bermuda with me?

I am merely pointing out that if you have newer even been in the water with both (170 and 275) you may not have a lot other than conjecture to offer

Bermuda 1-2 in 19?  Could be an option - there are naturally a lot of qualifiers such as boat/condition/inventory, you (in terms of personality/experience/ability/etc.).  If you are actually serious you can PM with detail

On 5/9/2018 at 4:23 AM, Christian said:

Have you been in the water with both?  In waves?  Did you not notice a difference?

I have been in the water - with both and from my experience I can tell you that there is quite a bit of difference.  I use a 170N inshore and a 275N offshore.

BTW - had no problems getting into a liferaft wearing the 275N 

If you are just commenting without actual knowledge/experience then just file your post under "meaningless conjecture and guesswork"

Was the 275N inflated when you got into the raft? I have used them in sssc courses and it is like having your own private bouncy castle. But if I was going into the tide offshore they are the tits.

IMG_6826.JPG

12 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Was the 275N inflated when you got into the raft? I have used them in sssc courses and it is like having your own private bouncy castle. But if I was going into the tide offshore they are the tits.

IMG_6826.JPG

Yes - I deliberately did not deflate it at all as I wanted to see how bad it was and was positively surprised that it wasn't bad at all and absolutely agree about you on the offshore bit.  I would newer wear one inshore.  I use a Deckvest lite inshore and that one is the most unobtrusive PFD I have ever worn - in dinghies/sportboats I use a foam dinghy PFD

On 5/9/2018 at 10:16 PM, SailFast-LiveLong said:

What's the boat? I did the 1-2 last year and DH division of the Bermuda race in 2016. Gearing up for another "thrash to the onion patch" in June. Might be nice to take a year off from prepping my own boat but it would depend on finding an interesting and well prepped ride. 

I've got two 170 5D Deckvests onboard Yankee Girl with both the MOB1 and PLB1 packed inside. An AIS SART like the Ocean Signal MOB1 became a requirement for this year's NBR. The Deckvest 5D 170 is more comfortable than most inflatable PFDs I've worn. But after several days of short handed racing, they're quite noticeable. The 275 version is an extra 300grams hanging on your neck, almost a 25% increase. I'm looking forward to a consumer version of the VOR Deckvest. Rumor has a version of it possibly available to the public in the fall.

6 hours ago, squiby said:

What's the boat? I did the 1-2 last year and DH division of the Bermuda race in 2016. Gearing up for another "thrash to the onion patch" in June. Might be nice to take a year off from prepping my own boat but it would depend on finding an interesting and well prepped ride. 

I've got two 170 5D Deckvests onboard Yankee Girl with both the MOB1 and PLB1 packed inside. An AIS SART like the Ocean Signal MOB1 became a requirement for this year's NBR. The Deckvest 5D 170 is more comfortable than most inflatable PFDs I've worn. But after several days of short handed racing, they're quite noticeable. The 275 version is an extra 300grams hanging on your neck, almost a 25% increase. I'm looking forward to a consumer version of the VOR Deckvest. Rumor has a version of it possibly available to the public in the fall.

If your deckvest is really bothering your neck you haven't adjusted it properly.  Shorten the back strap - it should not even touch your neck

13 hours ago, Christian said:

If your deckvest is really bothering your neck you haven't adjusted it properly.  Shorten the back strap - it should not even touch your neck

When you assume...

The back strap is shortened as far as it can go. That did help but doesn't solve the issue when wearing fowl weather gear and using it offshore, short handed and days in a row. That may be shoulder soreness causing tension in my neck rather than it directly my neck. The muscles do extend. Regardless, I wouldn't want to add another 300 grams.

1 hour ago, squiby said:

When you assume...

The back strap is shortened as far as it can go. That did help but doesn't solve the issue when wearing fowl weather gear and using it offshore, short handed and days in a row. That may be shoulder soreness causing tension in my neck rather than it directly my neck. The muscles do extend. Regardless, I wouldn't want to add another 300 grams.

For me I do find that I can adjust the PFD to a point where even prolonged use is just fine - but we are all different.  I do see a lot of peeps using the Spinlocks and leaving the back strap way too long which is both annoying on the neck and compromises the effectiveness of the PFD if you hit the piss

A poorly fitted 275 is a greater risk than a well fitting 170.  

I'm 225 and neutrally bouyant, if I push all my air out I tend to sink. The 170 works fine for me.

Caveat: have never had to deploy in anything other than test conditions in a pool. so can't speak to the difference

in heavy seas.

8 hours ago, Grinning Ape said:

Wow - what a revelation

16 hours ago, Grinning Ape said:

And if your Aunt had balls she would be your Uncle.