Greyhound37

New Annapolis to Oxford Race 5.12.18

First year for this event hosted by Annapolis Yacht Club

Point to point 30 miles

100 boats or so

Free to enter thank to Hinckley sponsorship

Best of all no drink tickets at Tred Avon Yacht Club. Cash and cards!

So this ain't replacing the summer race?!  Holy hand grenade batman!!  Did they all get stuck in a Monty Python film marathon and decide "the number shall be three and three shall be the number?"  Spring, Summer and Fall races to Oxford.  I thought the summer race was nearly dead and now they pile on another? 

I do love TAYC though.  Their OD dinghy regatta in the summer is tops!!  That alone made owning the Snipe worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wess said:

So this ain't replacing the summer race?!  Holy hand grenade batman!!  Did they all get stuck in a Monty Python film marathon and decide "the number shall be three and three shall be the number?"  Spring, Summer and Fall races to Oxford.  I thought the summer race was nearly dead and now they pile on another? 

I do love TAYC though.  Their OD dinghy regatta in the summer is tops!!  That alone made owning the Snipe worth it.

I asked the same question but apparently the new, spring Oxford is popular with 108 entries so far.

https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eID=4679

Hey, its a great club and a great town and I sure would rather sail in Spring and Fall than middle of the Summer when breeze is more a crap shoot.  Surprised more than anything that they kept the Summer race. 

Someone is doing something right then to get 100 boats out. Two summer races just died on us, CRYC and MRSA races to and from CRYC (Corsica River).

The weather forecast right now is 75 degrees with 12-18 from the south :D Warm sun and a good breeze over water that is still cool - this is Chesapeake heaven with the bugs and jellyfish still off in the future :D

Sailflow says south 12-16 from 10:00-15:00 on race day. I am sure that will change by Saturday. Hopefully clock around to the N or NW.

100 boats in May, 180 boats in September for the NASS event. Did not look it up but maybe 50 for the August race.

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

I asked the same question but apparently the new, spring Oxford is popular with 108 entries so far.

https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eID=4679

Well not quite - some 20+ boats are in there twice as they are registered for dual scoring (PHRF and ORC) - but it still shows that short distance racing is what draws the crowds

The August race can be good.  Couple years ago, we had 95 degree temps... with 15 = 20 kt winds from the south, mostly a long uphill reach but the water conditions were nice and it was pleasant, and TAYC are gracious party hosts.  Uphill is okay but it'd be nice to have a sled ride down there. 

But yeah, Spring Oxford.  Please sir, may I have another? 

J-35's continue to have a strong local fleet with 5 boats. A2 is a big crowd in the NASS to Oxford race but only 11 boats here. 16 in A0/1.

Maybe Donnybrook will show up under a new owner.  :-)

• Like 1

I hear some guy has a pretty slick J88 entered.    (can't wait to race with some of the old Fleet 8 guys...instead of against them).  

Fx looks promising, especially if it goes west a bit.  

It would be cooler if boats such as J105s, and J30s (yes I am calling those 20 boats out) who didn't deem it a class event would show up anyway and join the newly created race for another day of fun in the sun and increased participation.  While OD certainly has its merits, races like this with PHRF or ORC can still be enjoyable as well.  Or you know, actually be a good thing for those fleets to back a new race for its inauguration. 

19 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

Did not look it up but maybe 50 for the August race.

Not even.  Looks like only 25 last year.  Used to be the log canoes were racing at TAYC that same weekend which always made for nice viewing.

1 hour ago, trimfast said:

It would be cooler if boats such as J105s, and J30s (yes I am calling those 20 boats out) who didn't deem it a class event would show up anyway and join the newly created race for another day of fun in the sun and increased participation.  While OD certainly has its merits, races like this with PHRF or ORC can still be enjoyable as well.  Or you know, actually be a good thing for those fleets to back a new race for its inauguration. 

No argument here.  

ORRez has its merits, too...especially with the series (plural) they are sponsoring and the quality of the scoring program they offer.  In any case, Christian is right, the identifiable characteristic of the better destination races is: BOATS SHOW UP. 

It was a great light air Chesapeake Bay race. That is, right up until the RC abandoned the race nearly two hours before the time limit and with two dozen boats within a mile from the (shortened course) finish line.

I bet Hinckley really felt they got their money’s worth on those entry fees. The comments on the VHF alone are hardly suitable for print. More than a few boats recorded their finishing time on their own after the RC pulled anchor and ditched the fleet, presumably to celebrate their great success at the party.

Just wondering out loud into the void: why have a time limit, and why have provisions to shorten the course, if the race will be abandoned after over four hours of racing with almost two more left until the lead boat hits TLE?

1 hour ago, Alaris said:

It was a great light air Chesapeake Bay race. That is, right up until the RC abandoned the race nearly two hours before the time limit and with two dozen boats within a mile from the (shortened course) finish line.

I bet Hinckley really felt they got their money’s worth on those entry fees. The comments on the VHF alone are hardly suitable for print. More than a few boats recorded their finishing time on their own after the RC pulled anchor and ditched the fleet, presumably to celebrate their great success at the party.

Just wondering out loud into the void: why have a time limit, and why have provisions to shorten the course, if the race will be abandoned after over four hours of racing with almost two more left until the lead boat hits TLE?

Who will ever go back and do this race again? 

2 hours ago, Alaris said:

Wow - that's a way to tell peeps to stay away next time.  Probably abandoned since the social schedule started at 1500 hours - wonder how many boats just turned and burned instead of going to the party

The shortened course was understandable and expected. 

Shortly after the RC made that announcement we are sailing for the finish at 4.3 knots with less than a mile to go first in A2. We are pleased all our efforts would pay off.

Then the second announcement came to abandon the race. We watched the RC boats pull up anchor as we noted our time and crossed the line. 

Swan 47 (?) was 2nd in A2 as far as we could tell. 

TAYC had maybe 20 boats of the 90 

I started racing in the mid 80's.  This was by far the weirdest stunt I've even seen a race committee pull. 

Why bother to mention a TLE designation in the Sailing Instruction if you're going to ignore it?

This call was stupid at best. Most of the fleet would have been able to finish at the shortened course mark.  My best guess, the issue was, the Farr 400, Carkeek, etc went by the line before RC made a decision. At that point, the rc had no choice to just abandon the race as they would not make it to oxford, and how could they finish the rest of the fleets and not a0 (or if anyone else past the mark). However, it was probably an attempt to get more boats past the mark to get them to the party.  We immediately turned and burned as it was a no brainer. Sandy came on the radio to say if you had a problem here is her name which is fine and all, but they had four hours to make a shortned course decision. She messed up, plain and simple.

However some positives. Still a good day on the water with close racing in light air.  It was free to enter the race unless you signed up last minute.  Oxford race in the fall is probably hands down the best distance race and party. So other than this RC fail, it still has merits for a great race again next year and most will not right it off. 

The only issue I see for growth of this race was it was on Mothers Day weekend and some people couldn't do it for that reason. 

Oh boy.  This is gonna be good.  Need to get popcorn.  But come on... maybe be fair.  Got no dog in this fight but just wondering how many of those bitching here will serve as PRO or even do RC this year.

*  SG is pretty damn good and sometimes sh*t just happens.

* With a S coming up the Bay and fighting the N, and given the spread in boats (speed and starting times) it can be difficult to find the right time and place where its even viable to shorten.

* There were lots of signs the S was kicking in and working up the Bay a bit behind schedule but still in time for most if not all boats to finish the full course within the TL.  I happened to be watching because I was headed out to play in my Laser and was wanting the S.

* Once it became clear that the S was not kicking in broadly and early enough to get most boats finished on time they may not have had a practical spot to shorten because some of the fastest boats were nearly home.

In an ideal world RC would have multiple boats on the course at various turning marks monitoring weather and competitor positions, as well as provisions in the SIs that would allow them to shorten course for different classes at different places.  But I doubt they have the resources to have that many RC boats out there.

But please continue your normal whining and bitching.  Its fun and easy.  :P

Wess, you weren't there, so I have no idea why you'd feel compelled to offer an opinion, er...um....because I know you, well, yes I do. ;)

In any case, while you were out screwing around on your glorified surfboard, a bunch of boats were working their tails off trying to find breeze and persevere through some difficult conditions to do well in a race.  It's a race. It's competition. And some boats that usually don't do too well were in a position for a shot at the podium, with the finish line in clear sight while making way toward it.  Not drifting.  

KIS is correct, we all do our time as race officers, we all have enough credentials to have a valid opinion in this affair.  It's in the SIs:  you stay ON STATION unless the time limit runs out. Why the PRO felt like that obligation had been mitigated is a total, complete, effin mystery.  

Morning Clam and yes I do love my surfboard, LOL.  Having never done any light air transition racing in the Chesapeake I have no clue what you mean about working hard.  Did you like sweat and get sunscreen in your eyes and everything?  :P  I mean its not like a race to Oxford was ever shortened out into the Bay so the slower classes could finish (thanks RC) only to have the faster classes whine.  Or its not like they didn't shorten another year and virtually no boats finished except for a select few (thanks RC) and the slower boats whined.  And lacking a license to feel compelled I will not comment on "in the SIs." :P:P

As you know me you know I would say that this is a great website for bitching and complaining... and trolling, and that since Sandy put herself out there, in real life perhaps folks could pick up the phone and ask her what went down.  She has been around the block enough times to obviously not have set out to screw a bunch of racers be they whiners or not.  One might even find that there a series of events that ended in a place where there was no good outcome... or not.

14 TIME LIMITS 14.1 In each class, the time limit for the first boat in each class to sail the course and finish will be 1700. 14.2 The time limit for all other boats will be 1800. Boats failing to finish by then, and not subsequently retiring, penalized or given redress, will be scored Time Limit Expired (TLE) without a hearing. The race committee will score boats given a TLE with points equal to the number of boats finishing prior to 1800 plus two points but no worse than the number of entries. This changes RRS 35, A4, A5 and A11. 

I guess this was all pirate code stuff and not to be taken seriously :rolleyes:

That looks like regler, uniform, good old American Inglish to me, KIS. 

I know of a race last year where I was on the RC....we screwed up the Shortened Course.  People came up to me at the party and said, "Hey you screwed up!"  I said, "Yep we did, sorry."

I have no idea what SG's response was to anyone who brought it up at the party because we left early (wicked bad storms coming through and we had a 30 mile boat ride ahead of us).  I bear no grudge and frankly wish the RC the best of wishes for the rest of the season.  But if it's improper for a bunch of racers to come on SA and comment on an occurrence that slightly boggles the mind, then call me Improper.  Since you weren't there and by your own admission, "Got no dog in this fight" I fail to see why this bothers you.

Read 14 from the Sailing Instructions that Kent has been good enough to post and make your own interpretation.  (btw, best of luck tomorrow with your Arm Pit!)

Hell of a way to start an inaugural event. 

• Like 1

Did anyone return to the north via Knapps Narrows?  Any issues getting through, as the dredging has been completed?

Dear Mr Improper,

Thanks re the pit.  It is the pits.  Surgery easy, drugs fun, its just the recovery that is long, boring and suckish times ten.  But all the better to beat you with, LOL.  Or to be beaten.  We shall see who gets back on the water first!!  But...

You must have some of those drugs.  Where does it say RC shall not abandon the race?  Where does it say they stay on station after abandoning.  You fly the flags, and make the noises and go home.  No where any where in the SI does it say and I quote you quoting the SIs: " It's in the SIs: you stay ON STATION unless the time limit runs out."  There is no such "obligation" as you say.  If you think the RC really did something improper you could you know... but I am betting that RC did nothing contrary to the racing rules or the SIs.  The other knucklehead I ignore.  But know and respect you.  So come on...

What they did do is make a decision that is unpopular with some and even many.  Do you really think that group with that experience just willy nilly thought...  lets see how we can tick off a bunch of racers... here hold my beer and watch this?!  On the contrary I would guess that SG and others on RC had reason and were pretty bummed to be in a situation where they would have felt that was the best thing of a bunch of bad things they could do.  Glad it wasn't me.  

Pits out!

And then came the knife or scope or whatever...

Wess - I  wish you well in your recovery.
That said, WTF? I realize as an RC boat I am not in the Navy and can't be hung or shot for treason if I leave the course and go home. Outside of some kind of emergency or weather conditions that make staying put life threatening, I have never heard of an RC just saying "well fuck it, this is boring, everyone go home". The time is the time is the time. The Gov Cup used to have no time limit and we kept them waiting until sunset Saturday once. They did not suffer from ADHD and wander off :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Wess - I  wish you well in your recovery.
That said, WTF? I realize as an RC boat I am not in the Navy and can't be hung or shot for treason if I leave the course and go home. Outside of some kind of emergency or weather conditions that make staying put life threatening, I have never heard of an RC just saying "well fuck it, this is boring, everyone go home". The time is the time is the time. The Gov Cup used to have no time limit and we kept them waiting until sunset Saturday once. They did not suffer from ADHD and wander off :rolleyes:

Hell the Oxford race used to have no time limit.  I remember finishing close to midnight when I was a kid.  Another example of general pussification.  15 second attention spans.  Quitting an Oxford race at 3pm.  What the fuck.  If you can't guess, we were about 10 mins or less from finishing in 1st or 2nd, so I'm a grumpy fkr.

Echoing other comments, the RC made a bad call.  But worse than that, they they didn’t communicate, compounding the frustration.

When the wind died off Poplar Island, we and others made multiple unanswered VHF hails to RC, asking about a shortened course.  The wind had been diminishing all day, and by 1-2 pm, simple math showed that many were unlikely  to make the 1700 Time limit.

Why they didn’t shorten course at G7 earlier makes no sense, and a G7 shortened finish was achievable for just about everyone. (We surmised from other boats that RC eventually shortened course about 25 min before inexplicably calling the race.)

But there really is no excuse for not answering the radio. And with hours remaining on the clock, what was the sense of urgency to suddenly abandon the race with 20 some boats within a couple miles of the shortened finish, and wind building?

We crossed the G7 & RC line at 16:45. RC was in the process of pulling their anchor (Hinckley 55) and the H-38 was underway.  

33 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

We crossed the G7 & RC line at 16:45. RC was in the process of pulling their anchor (Hinckley 55) and the H-38 was underway.  

I think you mean 15:45. I crossed at 15:43 at the same time as the the J/88, and the J/111 crossed at 15:41 if I recall correctly. The smaller H was headed towards the Bay when we crossed.

58 minutes ago, Alaris said:

I think you mean 15:45. I crossed at 15:43 at the same time as the the J/88, and the J/111 crossed at 15:41 if I recall correctly. The smaller H was headed towards the Bay when we crossed.

Musky, You are half right. Yes 3:40 something but we (J-88) finished ahead of you ;-) you were north of the can and aft of us when we crossed. We have video! Tim??

Tim will confirm. This was before he started on the craft beers.

We were 1/2 mile from the line when they blew it off.  Carkeek had just passed us back and were 100 yards closer, Farr 400 was just behind us.  We were moving and Darkhorse was smoking in bringing the southerly to the fleet.  

A lot of hard light air work to just be blown off.  We jumped on with the 111 to get in to Tred Avon and the race boat turned and burned.  They rode home at 8 knots with the kite up.  With that said, we grabbed the boat from tred and powered back.  Met the race boat at the entrance to to Back Creek we just beat the strong storms in at 1930.  I'm positive that other return crews got wet.

We got underway from TAYC at 6:30 by powerboat. 1.5 hours back to Annapolis via Knapps Narrows. Half hour after getting tied up in Annapolis the wind and rain was relentless. I drove over the bay bridge during the peak and it was nasty. 

Well, that sure escalated quickly.  It was a disappointing end to a tough day but I honestly can't kill the race committee for the decision to call the race.  They had to make the call based on what they knew at the time and if they were looking northwest from G-7, they likely saw a solid handful of boats on the S and E edges of the fleet making decent time, and the center mass of the fleet becalmed.  Because we had ridden the zephyrs south and west, we were among the first boats to get the wind shift, and could faintly see G7 when they called it.  Disappointing, but I can't get too angry at the RC for making that call, much of the fleet was still in the hole, sails flagging when they called the race.  On the other hand, the communications could have been a lot better.  There was a lot of confusion perhaps due to a weak VHF signal as to when the call was made, and we had no idea the course had been shortened, although we'd heard second hand traffic asking if it had been.  

And what was up with the clown show on the VHF?  Anonymously abusing the RC is pretty weak.

22 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

We got underway from TAYC at 6:30 by powerboat. 1.5 hours back to Annapolis via Knapps Narrows. Half hour after getting tied up in Annapolis the wind and rain was relentless. I drove over the bay bridge during the peak and it was nasty. 

Did you happen to notice the depth readings as you went through Knapp's Narrows?  Inquiring minds with a 7' draft want to know...

They are supposed to have dredged it recently and it sure would make trips back from TAYC a lot less of a grind (we'd have gone to TAYC if we knew a 90 minute trip back to Annapolis was possible).    Plus the place on the south side of the bridge does a great hamburger and respectable Clams Casino, and I would like to start visiting there again.

We came back via Knapp's Narows.  We showed over 8', but still touched bottom briefly b/c the dredged channel no longer matches the [Navionics] charts.

As you exit (on the bay side), there's a shoal marker that one would think marks the north edge of the shoal (which corresponds to the chart). But nope, they dredged right through the shoal, so now it's a straight line from the red marker to the green.  Red 2 seems to have become a green marker now too.

And of course now the shoal marker doesn't mark either edge of the shoal, it's just right in the middle.

Here's an illustration from my memory - not for navigation!

Knapps Narrows shoal.png

• Like 2

That 1.5 hours TAYC to AYC was at 24 knots

i was showing 6’ in the west end of the narrows.

hornet is still at TAYC. Heading there now to bring her back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greyhound37 said:

Musky, You are half right. Yes 3:40 something but we (J-88) finished ahead of you ;-) you were north of the can and aft of us when we crossed. We have video! Tim??

Tim will confirm. This was before he started on the craft beers.

I’ll give it to you. Since there was no RC boat for reference (ahem) it was hard to tell who was ahead from my perspective ;)

I’ll also note I called your sail number first on the radio when I announced both of our times...

14 hours ago, Wess said:

Dear Mr Improper,

You must have some of those drugs.  Where does it say RC shall not abandon the race?  

For god sake man, there's nothing in the SIs that prevents them from saying, "We'd like to catch the 2nd half of the Double-Header later this afternoon,"  or "I have to take the dog to the vet,"  so we're out of here.  But for the sake of propriety, good taste, common sense, peace, love and understanding and All That is Right With the World, you don't just effin' bail.

OK you would. But you have bad armpits, so that's that.

This reminds me of a race committee, years ago, a little father south that put up N over A in mid-afternoon just as the sea breeze was filling in.  They all had tickets to a country music concert later that day.  At least they had the decency to not start another race B)

3 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

That 1.5 hours TAYC to AYC was at 24 knots

i was showing 6’ in the west end of the narrows.

hornet is still at TAYC. Heading there now to bring her back.

Hah.  In a planning boat I presume... with twin 240's or suchlike.  Seemed kinda fast. 

Just came through Knapp NArrows. 10’ plus all the way.

24 knots was MJM 34

Hornet was 1.5 hours from TAYC to west end of the narrows.

4 hours ago, BeerDidClam said:

For god sake man, there's nothing in the SIs that prevents them from saying, "We'd like to catch the 2nd half of the Double-Header later this afternoon,"  or "I have to take the dog to the vet,"  so we're out of here.  But for the sake of propriety, good taste, common sense, peace, love and understanding and All That is Right With the World, you don't just effin' bail.

OK you would. But you have bad armpits, so that's that.

This reminds me of a race committee, years ago, a little father south that put up N over A in mid-afternoon just as the sea breeze was filling in.  They all had tickets to a country music concert later that day.  At least they had the decency to not start another race B)

I is way to wasted in 2 many ways to fight back. But like arnold or some general i shall return .  Surg bad drugs good . Chow. 

2 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

Just came through Knapp NArrows. 10’ plus all the way.

24 knots was MJM 34

Hornet was 1.5 hours from TAYC to west end of the narrows.

Thanks for the scouting report!  Good to know.

On 5/13/2018 at 7:31 AM, trimfast said:

.... My best guess, the issue was, the Farr 400, Carkeek, etc went by the line before RC made a decision. At that point, the rc had no choice to just abandon the race as they would not make it to oxford, and how could they finish the rest of the fleets and not a0 (or if anyone else past the mark). ...

Negative, neither of us had crossed the line, nor the Melges 32. The race should've been shortened at 84 or 80A if they wanted to shorten it.  Unfortunately I believe even more would've turned around and headed back skipping the party if that happened.  

A G7 finish was achievable by prob 75% of the fleet and was far enough towards TAYC that party participation would have been doubled. So just a dumb call all around.

The decent move would be for AYC and TAYC to at least email entrants, acknowledge that the lack of communication and decision to cancel was big let down, and promise to do better next time.

As it stands, I’m not sure they think they did anything wrong, and don’t have a lot of confidence they wouldn’t pull a stunt like this again.  I’m not sure they appreciate how hard it is to recruit crew and keep them coming.  If skippers can’t fill their crew, they can’t race, which hurts other club’s races across the board.

• Like 1

My crew expressed a wtf at the G7 approach but after that looking forward to the next race. We know how we did and how we can do better. Every race is a learning experience and we enjoy the event.

Great time none the less.

• Like 2

Yes, indeed. 

Mr.. Greyhound speaks eloquently.  What's done is done and let's look forward to the next race and hope for some breeze.  

The folks who were rude and completely inappropriate on the horn to the RC -- that's another matter.  There is no reason for that sh*t. (IMHO :rolleyes: )

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Merit 25 said:

Negative, neither of us had crossed the line, nor the Melges 32. The race should've been shortened at 84 or 80A if they wanted to shorten it.  Unfortunately I believe even more would've turned around and headed back skipping the party if that happened.  

Were you already passed g7 when they cancelled? 

13 hours ago, trimfast said:

Were you already passed g7 when they cancelled? 

To be honest, I can't recall for sure, maybe Kack can chime in?  I did notice the RC boat following us most of the way down the bay keeping an eye on progress.  They could've parked and stopped the racing at any point. 

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know what happened to Orion?  CG was looking for them. 

1 hour ago, Merit 25 said:

To be honest, I can't recall for sure, maybe Kack can chime in?  I did notice the RC boat following us most of the way down the bay keeping an eye on progress.  They could've parked and stopped the racing at any point. 

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know what happened to Orion?  CG was looking for them. 

Radio chatter said Epirb was on. I asked about G7 earlier  because according to SI  11.2 they could either shorten the course at G7 or Choptank Light. So if you all had passed G7, and the rest of us had not yet, then we could get a score, but you would not.

The SIs were contradictory on shortening course:

7.2 After starting, the following marks shall be rounded or passed in the following order:
(a) Bloody Pt. Warning Light (LLNR 7751), passed to port,
(b) R"84" (CBYRA Mark R), passed to port,
(c) RN "80A", passed to port,
(d) G"7" (off Black Walnut Pt.), rounded to port,
(e) R"10" (Choptank Area Mark D), passed to starboard, and
(f) Choptank River Light (Choptank Area Mark O), rounded to port
7.3 The race committee may shorten the course at any rounding mark. Boats shall sail near marks that are to be "rounded" in SI 7.2 above.

11.1 Before the start, the race committee may shorten the course by displaying Flag L with a sound and moving the starting area south.
11.2 After the start, the race committee may shorten the course in accordance with RRS 32 at G"7" (off Black Walnut Pt.) or at the Choptank River Light (Choptank Area Mark O).
11.3 If the race committee shortens course in accordance with either SI 11.1 or 11.2, it will make an announcement on VHF radio.

Interesting.  I like the idea of a spring Oxford, CB summer time makes for miserable racing except during the weekday evening races or over night races.

20nm farther south was a much smaller race and the RC simply told us that it was going to be light, hot, and they had chores to do so we had to sail to the iron mark that made up half of the finish line and take our own finish time when we passed a line 120 from the bow of the mark.  It nearly died about 30 minutes into the race, then picked up, then died again 2/3rd of the way through the race, then it was barely reasonable for the remainder.  I was wondering how this was affecting the Oxford race.  Boats finished and took their time and the time of the boat behind.  Ended up being a classic CB light air race day but very enjoyable.  I would have liked to have had a party but it was a small race so a/c and bar stools worked out well.  As much as I hate racing in light air, I hate pulling the pin before TLE after spending hours fighting to keep the boat moving.

SG's a great PRO and wonderful person, the rest of the RC are volunteers and at a minimum always deserve a "Thank you for your time." if you have nothing kind to say.  If you have issues take it up with the PRO and sponsor club after the fact, in person or in writing.  Anything else is inexcusable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alaris said:

The SIs were contradictory on shortening course:

7.2 After starting, the following marks shall be rounded or passed in the following order:
(a) Bloody Pt. Warning Light (LLNR 7751), passed to port,
(b) R"84" (CBYRA Mark R), passed to port,
(c) RN "80A", passed to port,
(d) G"7" (off Black Walnut Pt.), rounded to port,
(e) R"10" (Choptank Area Mark D), passed to starboard, and
(f) Choptank River Light (Choptank Area Mark O), rounded to port
7.3 The race committee may shorten the course at any rounding mark. Boats shall sail near marks that are to be "rounded" in SI 7.2 above.

11.1 Before the start, the race committee may shorten the course by displaying Flag L with a sound and moving the starting area south.
11.2 After the start, the race committee may shorten the course in accordance with RRS 32 at G"7" (off Black Walnut Pt.) or at the Choptank River Light (Choptank Area Mark O).
11.3 If the race committee shortens course in accordance with either SI 11.1 or 11.2, it will make an announcement on VHF radio.

Say what?  How so contradictory?  I am high as a kite right now but those seem consistent to me. 

3 minutes ago, Wess said:

Say what?  How so contradictory?  I am high as a kite right now but those seem consistent to me. 

7.3 says the RC may shorten the course at any rounding mark but 11.2 says the RC can shorten the course at G7 or O. I mean those as inconsistent at best. 

Any ROUNDING mark which is differentiated from passing marks by either round to... or  passed to.  Not the most elegant wording I have ever seen but I don't find it contradictory.

56 minutes ago, Wess said:

I think the confusion is a short course *at the start* vs. a shortened course later on once the race is already underway. The SI covers both of them, but you only get one situation or the other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I think the confusion is a short course *at the start* vs. a shortened course later on once the race is already underway. The SI covers both of them, but you only get one situation or the other.

I thought that might be the case but it is not written well if that was their intention. 

It was in SI-ese. It could be better written.

Once long ago dealing with a race that was likely to go late and a party no one wanted to miss, I stuck an RC boat at the far end of the course with their own line. Everyone got their time "finishing" there and went onward. If we called a short course, we could use that finish or if the wind died later we could send everyone to the bar and use those times. It worked well for us. I am not sure if that would scale up, but it did get people to the party on time without anyone getting hosed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Merit 25 said:

The three lead boats, Jerebroham, Rival and Endo had not passed G7 and were having a good light air passing duel between .5 and 4 knots of boat speed when they called it a few hundred yards from the finish.  A J-80 was in the vicinity, Flush Fund was a half mile back and Darkforce was smoking in on a private southerly puff getting ready to win the whole thing.

Buddy was on Orion, their AIS was inadvertently sending a Pan Pan signal out and they had their radio turned down.    

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kack said:

The three lead boats, Jerebroham, Rival and Endo had not passed G7 and were having a good light air passing duel between .5 and 4 knots of boat speed when they called it a few hundred yards from the finish.  A J-80 was in the vicinity, Flush Fund was a half mile back and Darkforce was smoking in on a private southerly puff getting ready to win the whole thing.

Buddy was on Orion, their AIS was inadvertently sending a Pan Pan signal out and they had their radio turned down.    

Are you SURE it was AIS? My AIS is either on or off. The DSC maybe????

6 hours ago, Kack said:

Well then it makes zero sense why they called the race off. Oh well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, trimfast said:

Well then it makes zero sense why they called the race off. Oh well.

The DSC/AIS issue was not ever considered as a race ending issue unless something different happened than anyone knows about?????

Well, in retrospect, what's done is done.  

Anyone who has done RC duty or fleet officer work knows that once in a while, momma nature throws you an untenable situation where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.  

Props to AYC and TAYC for coming up with an early season distance race and next year's will be a lot better!  

It has to be, right?

Woops. 

Years ago I directed a half marathon in Baltimore. 3 miles out one of the course volunteers sent the runners left instead of right. We lost 500 runners for 7 minutes or so... eventually they hooked back up on the proper route a world records were shattered!

Finally got by that pesky J-80

slippery little devil

FAEF4C93-3D72-4741-A4AA-DB4953DF6150.jpeg

Edited by Greyhound37
Add pic