southerncross

VOR Leg 9 Newport to Cardiff

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Like that theory. If you get just 5% more energy by sleeping better in the bunk that fits you best, that would count during such times the crew is pushed to the max every shift for 24+ hours. 

The freeze dried food is also a factor Herman. Supplied by Red Bull I believe.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)

JBC, I found the image I was after. Knew I'd seen it before, a flipped version is my background!

Obviously I took Boomers advise too literally....have moved on to Jamisons, what could go wrong?

orig deep running..jpg

Edited by paps49
The photo you fool
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

The pic is taken from almost TWA and illustrates, I think, why they were so good deep.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

did Ian Walker say 2 knot current was the extra 50 miles or so in the record? sounded like he implied that. not a shock if true .

Well, that is not very sportsmanlike by Ian. I would like to know on what info he based that claim and seems to be pissing on Akzo's parade.

I have the TBRU 24/05/18 00 UTC and 19 UTC positions plotted with the currents modeled at 24/05/18 00 UTC and 25/05/18 00 UTC. I know the timing is off, but my point is that the global NE course followed by AKZO and TBRU and the projected meandering GS (green stuff) look not very much aligned. There could have been parts where the current was with them, but also against them. Probably both. We simply don't know if the current played a major role or not at all, only RC and the boats themselves have the data to assess that.

RTOFS 240518 00 UTC  compressed.jpg

RTOFS 250518 00 UTC compressed.jpg

• Like 1

Just emerged from a tunnel that involved 35 hours of planes, airports and trains followed by 12 hours of sleep. 600+ miles, that is a lot. Great record and congrats to Akzo.

Seems we may have a bit of compression, but FIFO likely?

Looks like Yellow is going to check out what is on today’s menu at the Paintwagon. :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Looks like Yellow is going to check out what is on today’s menu at the Paintwagon. :)

Indeed, boats are less than 3 nm apart, no use to put the washing machine to work..

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Well, that is not very sportsmanlike by Ian. I would like to know on what info he based that claim and seems to be pissing on Akzo's parade.

Walker was driving the Green Dragon (came 5th) and couldn't match Ericsson 4's speeds when they got the World Mono Unpowered 24 Record in 2008.

Maybe sucking on their fumes back then has dulled his senses?

Ian Walker has never been one to sour grapes. I didn't hear what he said but I'm almost certain it was just him being methodical and evaluating what made the boats fast. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Ian Walker has never been one to sour grapes. 

Maybe but is not one known for being a shrinking violet in the self promotion department either. 600 mile afterall does make his best of 550 look a bit shabby.

IT's time for the group photo!

Everyone has to get close together so we can fit you in the frame.

what? Scally doesn't want to be in the picture? Oh well, the rest of you squeeze up tight.

• Like 3

DTL 0,0 time for a drone fight!

Epic leg!

• Like 1

So what are we thinking of Vestas?,

They seem to have lost a little bit of their sparkle last few days. 

It must felt like a slap in the face the way the red dragon grinded them down. :unsure:

4 minutes ago, Elisa said:

So what are we thinking of Vestas?,

They seem to have lost a little bit of their sparkle last few days. 

It must felt like a slap in the face the way the red dragon grinded them down. :unsure:

Mapfre wants them next.

Brunel would love to see Vestas recover a bit of pace, enough to get ahead of the red boats but not enough to catch yellow

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Pablo Arrante said it was 4 knots in a video. 

2 hours ago, Zander said:

12 hours of sleep

What is that like?  

Here we go.  Another Conrad demo.

49 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Ian Walker has never been one to sour grapes. I didn't hear what he said but I'm almost certain it was just him being methodical and evaluating what made the boats fast. 

That was my take from it as well, he actually seemed pleased for AkzoNobel and indeed tried to provide some insight on how this record might have come around. I don’t think he served sour grapes at all. Why would he, he won the last edition of the VOR that makes him a legend for life. 

• Like 2

And Martine and Torben

and vs11 performance analysis.

On May 25, 2018 at 8:43 AM, Mambo Kings said:

Two key elements to the scoring in the current tracker battle.

1. Akzo vs Brunel.  If Brunel regains the lead then it is all on for 2nd with Brunel only 2 points behind the red boats and 9 points ahead of Akzo. If Akzo maintains the lead over Brunel then it will all be on for 3rd with Brunel only 3 points ahead of Akzo.

2. DF vs Vestas.   If DF overhauls Vestas but Mapfre does not, then DF has a 2 point lead going into the last two legs,

image.png.76be26e12c55d590b7312223b13bc8ea.png

Of course everything changes at the high...but fun to speculate.

This is coincidentally how the points look in the last 5 minutes. DF did indeed overtake Vestas and currently Brunel has drifted past Akzo.

But the boats are assembling in the parking lot for a restart.

Haven't seen this camera angle before.

• Like 1

Time to dig up info on Sayula and that father daughter combo

4 hours ago, paps49 said:

JBC, I found the image I was after. Knew I'd seen it before, a flipped version is my background!

Obviously I took Boomers advise too literally....have moved on to Jamisons, what could go wrong?

orig deep running..jpg

That looks to me like they’re running FR0 + J3 + triple-reefed main.

This is an especially good "Day in the Life" aboard Brunel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

It was from the interview in yesterday’s Daily Live. The Ian interview starts around 15:00.

My sense when watching it was just what you said: there weren’t any sour grapes. He was just giving a good analysis of the various factors.

• Like 3

^^ nothing remotely romantic about that, hardly any energy left for normal conversations leave alone fun and games. They must be exhausted. Hang in there guys! 

AKZO first to get an east wind, 

• Like 1

With all the talk about the 24 hr records - funny how in the end Scallywag and TToP might be the first to get past the ridge by Fastnet.

Aside: SI has allowed for shortening the course this time

15. THE FINISHING LINE
(a) The finish line will be between a Laid Inflatable Mark and South Cardinal Mark ‘South Cardiff’. The RC will be listening on VHF 77.
(b) RRS 32.2 final sentence is deleted and replaced with: After one or more boats have finished, the course may be shortened for boats still racing.

http://volvooceanrace-img.s3.amazonaws.com/files/m47009_si-leg-9-addendum-amdt-02-20180520.pdf

A bit from-the-boats section from TBRU

an hour ago

Update from OBR Sam Greenfield onboard Team Brunel:

1nm ahead of Akzo as of the 1300utc sched. Everyone is either sleeping in the bow or as far forward as possible. Pete and Kyle are in the cockpit trying to make the boat go fast. Conditions are total glass with big rolling waves. Doldrum like, except it's brisk out. Hoping we get get through this ridge and to the other side. Everyone is very focused.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Akzo looks to have found the beginnings of some pressure. Now the fastest boat on the paddock.

And DFRT now tacked  over the top of the ridge and into the easterly. 

Seems like a pretty quick transition, so maybe FIFO will actually hold true this time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stief said:

And DFRT now tacked  over the top of the ridge and into the easterly. 

Seems like a pretty quick transition, so maybe FIFO will actually hold true this time

It's almost always FIFO, even if it doesn't look this way initially.

2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Heya Renny. Still catching up with all those vids you’ve collected

As for FIFO,  was thinking how often it hasn’t been recently (Auckland TTOP, Newport TBRU, and the like)

6 minutes ago, stief said:

Heya Renny. Still catching up with all those vids you’ve collected

As for FIFO,  was thinking how often it hasn’t been recently (Auckland TTOP, Newport TBRU, and the like)

Newport...hmmm... weird arrival - as discussed - anyway. But yeah, this edition of the VOR is special, in almost every aspect.
Enjoy the videos, I haven't watched them all myself.

• Like 1

Well, while  drifting merrily along, for anyone looking for links to Sayula’s victory, http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/172429-dis-is-sayula/will send you down a great SA-reading rabbit hole. Jack, see why I like links? You had some good moments there ;) 

and also links to a playlist here https://vimeo.com/user39373841 , including Sayula’s crew comments about the pre-pc sneers the Latins heard from the English. 

Still looking for the father-daughter references that Martine credited to Simeon in the Live (thanks Conrad), but back on track for now.

nice timing Renny :P

Is it cut off in the source or perhaps in the upload to your site?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stief said:

(...)

nice timing Renny :P

Is it cut off in the source or perhaps in the upload to your site?

Thanks for letting me know, I need to re-upload it.

In the meantime, a bit of TtToP:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Next try:

Thanks. Interesting to hear them in their native tongue. Not as stilted as the English show they later put on in the Live, but seemed often awkward for  both Torben and Martine.

good. More proof they are better sailors than actors :lol:

• Like 3

Akzo and Brunel have left the station.

They are on the outbound express to Cadiff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

This one is more like steeple chase where they all jump over a fence.

Anyway, back to Real vs Liverpool

• Like 1

And back on TTOP

4 hours ago

Update from skipper Dee Caffari onboard Turn the Tide on Plastic:

We enjoyed the final few hours of wind before it died. We knew that by lunchtime today the wind would be dying out as we reached the high pressure ridge. The position report also indicated that would be the case as the front runners had very little wind being that much further ahead and the whole fleet is compressing.

How easy we all get through the ridge is not clear. Several models think that we will be swallowed up again as the ridge follows us. The front guys could get lucky here and move away from us again. So we should enjoy this compression of the fleet while we have it. Either way we have about twelve hours of slow progress and patience will be key here to keep the boat moving in as much of the right direction as possible to try and wriggle free into the next pressure taking us to Ireland.

So we are heading to Wales and today we had a great show from a whale. He even turned to come and say hello, staying on the surface, so all those who normally miss the sighting managed to get a good look. We were charging our batteries so maybe he heard our engine and was inquisitive but not too close for comfort. Sailing as slowly as this meant we were not a threat to him anyway.

Dee and Team TTTOP

TTOP can also hope the Squid crystal ball is right. It shows MAPF DFL into Cardiff.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks. Interesting to hear them in their native tongue. Not as stilted as the English show they later put on in the Live, but seemed often awkward for  both Torben and Martine.

good. More proof they are better sailors than actors :lol:

I think the delay (and the knowledge that they're having the conversation publicly) would be enough to make anyone sound a little awkward. Except I guess the people who do it on TV for a living, but I bet even they have to work to make it seem natural.

I remember back in the day when we'd be racing offshore and someone would do a phonecall via the marine radio operator on VHF, so you'd be listening to the other calls as you waited your turn, and there was always that one call where the fisherman (or whatever) calling to his girlfriend (or whoever) had to interrupt to explain that this is going out over the radio, honey, and maybe we should wait until I'm back on shore to talk about the sexy fun times we're gonna have.

Sigh. It was a simpler time.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jbc said:

I think the delay (and the knowledge that they're having the conversation publicly) would be enough to make anyone sound a little awkward. Except I guess the people who do it on TV for a living, but I bet even they have to work to make it seem natural.

I remember back in the day when we'd be racing offshore and someone would do a phonecall via the marine radio operator on VHF, so you'd be listening to the other calls as you waited your turn, and there was always that one call where the fisherman (or whatever) calling to his girlfriend (or whoever) had to interrupt to explain that this is going out over the radio, honey, and maybe we should wait until I'm back on shore to talk about the sexy fun times we're gonna have.

Yep. Those calls are awkward indeed. Back in the day after losing my rudder off the coast of Baha I used all the cash I had to phone home and tell my wife I hadn’t killed our 12 yr old son. Several days later and a few miles further, a kind cruiser offered to arrange a HF radio-land line call connection, and when asked if she wanted to talk to our son, she refused. Later found out she said she didn’t want to  break down with the operator and cruisers listening in.

Awkward.

All worked out well, mostly. A few weeks later when she joined us for our 25th anniversary, she brought a bottle of wine we’d saved from our wedding. Turned out to be sour, but we had a good laugh over that. Still have another, but if we get to open it for our 50th in 7 years I  expect it to be sour too. 

Drift off.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jbc said:

When I was working in Africa, a loooong time ago, communication wise, it was like being offshore: no land line, no cellphone yet. The only way to call back home was to get on the short wave radio and call Saint Lys Radio which would connect you back to the phone lines in France.

One day, waiting for my turn, another expat was calling his wife on the radio, when she told him that she lost some of her lingerie underwear... And then she asked her husband if he knew where it was, by any chance... Awkward silence on the radio wave for a few seconds....

• Like 6

9 hours ago, southerncross said:

Pablo Arrante said it was 4 knots in a video. 

Thanks SX. If anyone could drop the link to that video, much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

When I was working in Africa, a loooong time ago, communication wise, it was like being offshore: no land line, no cellphone yet. The only way to call back home was to get on the short wave radio and call Saint Lys Radio which would connect you back to the phone lines in France.

One day, waiting for my turn, another expat was calling his wife on the radio, when she told him that she lost some of her lingerie underwear... And then she asked her husband if he knew where it was, by any chance... Awkward silence on the radio wave for a few seconds....

Are well...at least he wasn't flogging it from his neighbour's clothes line. ;)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, southerncross said:

30 knot Phantom Drone launch.

that forward center-of-effort sail plan has to help with unloading the helm, some of those heel angles look positively sketchy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

One radio conversation with the Falkland's rural doctor service from the 1950s has gone into folklore. Mrs Morrison was known for her colourful language.

Dr. - "Mrs Morrison how have you responded to the medication that I prescribed last week?"

Mrs Morrison - "Dr. for all the good those bloody pills have done I may as well have shoved them up my arse." 

Dr. - "That is precisely what you should have done with them Ma'am." 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

How do you know he didn’t have quite a collection?

• Like 3

Oh those were the days...................beer and smokes!!!!

sayula..JPG

• Like 1

Are we there yet?

Under 500nm to go. Didn't we just lear that's a days work?
(~48h to go, another day for the tail end.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stief said:

Well, while  drifting merrily along, for anyone looking for links to Sayula’s victory, http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/172429-dis-is-sayula/will send you down a great SA-reading rabbit hole. Jack, see why I like links? You had some good moments there ;) 

Stief you are a very good keeper of the Conch. Can't imagine the race is 50 years old in 6 years. Wonder if it will make it?

The pioneers look on at today's machines and shake their heads. Even Blake on Stienlarger 2 in 89, if say it was midnight when they broke the 24 hour record, Akzo 15' smaller would have gone past them around 1.30pm that afternoon, with him saying that is bullshit.

The current youngsters obviously can't look forward to anything quite yet, but when told of those rolling 360 in the Southern Ocean, dusting themselves off and kept racing until the next one, they probably say bullshit.

• Like 1

Going overboard again on Dongfeng.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Can't imagine the race is 50 years old in 6 years. Wonder if it will make it?

Had to laugh here. Brisius likely already made the announcement in his extreme understated style. “The VOR has been around for 45, and will be for another 45”

I’m paraphrasing from his Newport “speech” in your thread, but it’s probably true. VOR still hasn’t updated their ‘next decade ’ section

btw, help? I can’t find Knut’s interview about racing in the Legends link next month. Do you happen to recall the link? I told Norbowgirl I’d try to find it, but no luck after 4 excellent hours falling down some great related rabbit holes ;)

20 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Going overboard again on Dongfeng.

That was funny . .  Clean will probably pick that for his next Musto feed.

45 minutes ago, stief said:

btw, help? I can’t find Knut’s interview about racing in the Legends link next month. Do you happen to recall the link?

Sorry stief I don't recall seeing it. For all things Legend here are some links.

Boat stories incl a Race History vid.

https://www.facebook.com/legendsrace2018/

Gberg's Legends page showing entries. 

http://volvooceanracegoteborg.com/legends-race/

RO pages

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/legendsrace.html

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9379_Meet-the-Legends.html

• Like 2

Thanks for checking Jack. I hadn’t seen the Facebook link.

For those looking for what effect crossing the ridge did to deltas.

With the initial compression they obviously got down to pretty small numbers. Now they are out the rubber band has broken and those deltas are all back around the same when Akzo was in mid flight into its record or in some cases worse. Definitely a FIFO.

However there is one exception with the rubber band intact and 25% shorter, Mapfre.

Might be an omen?

I’d been watching the deltas, and pre- compression, MAPF was slowly getting the delta to DFRT down from ~40 to the low 30s. That’s back to 40 now. They have gained a bit on VS11 though.

still wondering if Vila’s hole-hunting jinx is still in effect. He didnt do well with the Labrador and Gulf currents, and I doubt that TBRU and DFRT will fail to cover  and leave MAPF an opening this time. 

Did some quick numbering and by my guess the leaders will in the Bristol Channel where they should start to feel the real effect of the current early Monday afternoon. Just so happens that coincides with around the turn of the tide from ebb to flood.

So with Cardiff still more than one turn of the tide away the finish would then favour the leaders if they get to that point Monday afternoon.

BTW there are 25' tides that afternoon/evening and not a lot of breeze. 

Tough forecast for SHKS

43 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Did some quick numbering and by my guess the leaders will in the Bristol Channel where they should start to feel the real effect of the current early Monday afternoon. Just so happens that coincides with around the turn of the tide from ebb to flood....... and not a lot of breeze.

Even with a big flood tide, you have to set yourself up carefully for the finish. More than a handful of times, I have crossed the Squadron finish line in Cowes drifting backwards and seen other boats swept past outside....

Just watched The Weekend Sailor on Amazon. It is indeed a very well done documentary of the Sayula II's remarkable and unlikely Whitbread win, particularly not only the considering the relative inexperience of much of the crew but the lack of navigational and communication devices at that time. Thank you Stief and others for the LINKS to earlier SA discussion on this documentary. Yet another reason why SA is such a valuable forum. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stief said:

Tough forecast for SHKS

Their ridge crossing started looking good being south but unfortunately poor buggers have been bulldozed from behind with a VMG Delta now in double figures.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, southerncross said:

Conrad's outdone himself.

Playing catchup; the almost 24 hour of daylight and sunshine have made it virtually impossible to go online on any device; too much to do outdoors, hands dirty, etc. Getting the yard, garden stuff done and gear together to be able to head out and enjoy all that AK has to offer. 

Re: Conrad and Daily Live: Indeed. Great props. Excellent show overall, except as noted awkward dialogue in English between the Graels. The Portuguese version was considerably more n natural. We had a delay in phone calls for decades up here, and occasionally still do, and it is annoying and frustrating.  Back to Conrad and his props:  I wasn't sure what was going to happen after he tossed the piece of cardboard and ping pong balls...would he scramble while a previously taped portion was showing to pick them up? The dimensional board was particularly instructive. 

His discussion with Richard Mason was one of the best. Of note was that both agreed that the "punters grousing about the conditions of the finish" in Newport and [potentially but likely] in Cardiff was "part of ocean racing".  Another indication that he reads ORA?

And, to be fair, he did not take ownership of the term "Paintwagon"; rather he referred to AZKO as the "Paintwagon"stating "as some people call them".  Yet another nod to ORA?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Even with a big flood tide, you have to set yourself up carefully for the finish.

So true. The two tide-gate target times at the moment favour the leaders so in principal that should lead to a uncontroversial finish providing they are positioned correctly as you say.

If they arrive in advance of the first one early Monday afternoon with it still on the ebb, it could end up like the gun fight at the OK Coral.

For the moment Tienpont is Wyatt Earp and Bouwer Doc Holiday. The Clanton Gang by the way did like wearing red scarves.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Their ridge crossing started looking good being south but unfortunately poor buggers have been bulldozed from behind with a VMG Delta now in double figures.

Couldn't be worse for them..... it's over

Little low pressure area almost stationary on their track... active cloud bands at the moment, decreasing later today.

FASTNET OFFSHORE:

Fastnet
Wind
East or northeast 5 or 6, becoming variable 4 later.
Sea state
Slight or moderate.
Weather
Thundery showers, fog patches.
Visibility
Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.

AND for the finish area:

As   https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine/inshore-waters-forecast#iw9 says:

Lands End to St Davids Head including the Bristol Channel  12 MILES OFFSHORE is the limit.
Strong winds are forecast

24 hour forecast:

Wind
East or northeast 5 or 6, decreasing 3 or 4, then becoming variable 2 or 3 later.
Sea state
Slight or moderate, occasionally smooth later in the Bristol Channel.
Weather
Thundery showers.
Visibility
Moderate or good, occasionally poor.

Outlook for the following 24 hours:

Wind
Variable 2 or 3, becoming north or northeast 3 or 4.
Sea state
Smooth or slight.
Weather
Thundery showers, fog patches developing.
Visibility
Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.

1 hour ago, PIL007 said:

Couldn't be worse for them..... it's over

Went to the boat this morning as they were entering the zone and just came back to find them in the same bloody place! Hit refresh a few times before it sank in.

• Downvote 1

Some good news for the antipodes, Riccardo is on pole for Monaco tonight!!

• Downvote 1

apoligies in advance , haven't been paying attention ....................

now wtf is wags up to ?

21 hours ago, jbc said:

It was from the interview in yesterday’s Daily Live. The Ian interview starts around 15:00.

My sense when watching it was just what you said: there weren’t any sour grapes. He was just giving a good analysis of the various factors.

Agreed now I have seen the video, thanks for posting!

22 hours ago, southerncross said:

Conrad's outdone himself.

Indeed, using ping pong balls to explain pressure gradient.