southerncross

VOR Leg 9 Newport to Cardiff

8 hours ago, southerncross said:

It was the most open, revealing interview of the whole race.

Not to mention carving in half the carrying/asset value of the boats sitting in Volvo's books. 

• Like 1

Boatzart: Very cool indeed. If the audio was live off the floor, kudos to the engineers. That sounded great.

4 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Now, this is very cool. 

Would have preferred Pearl Jam myself, but still...

What time, in GMT, is the in-port? Volvo needs to put a countdown to that as well as the big start- they’re points scoring after all 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Forestdawg said:

Skippers presser. Just watching as I post:

With page roll over I thought this worthy of a repost.

With not too many exceptions most pressers to date have been the normal uninformative shit and I nearly didn't bother hitting the play button.

However this one I highly recommend if you missed it. For a change there are some gold nuggets in there dealing with a wide variety of subjects.

• Like 1

well my 4 am insomnia better kick in.

11 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Plastic Summit:

I applaud any work to clean the oceans.  But this is a sideshow, if these people make it happen we are going to have some very clean dead oceans.

It's a distraction from the real problem and that is climate change.  But I'm sure there are investors prepared to make a fortune from the new ocean friendly packaging.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not to mention carving in half the carrying/asset value of the boats sitting in Volvo's books. 

It’s difficult to see much of a future for these boats. 

25 minutes ago, mad said:

It’s difficult to see much of a future for these boats. 

Door stops..but that is part of the game to date. I will address this aspect in the "VOR future go forward thread" shortly if anyone is interested in the discussion.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Weather looks light and highly variable for the first day or two.  Do you fight through 200+ nm of light stuff to get to the SW wind offshore or try to sneak along shore and catch the breeze off Nova Scotia?  Could see a fleet split right away.

Novia Scotia route.  The favored course.

Sally Barkow and Ken Read for commentary. Makes sense. Hope they comment on Pablo's ability to get such good starts against such as Burling on TBRU.

Still love MAPF's exit from Itajaí. 

6 minutes ago, stief said:

Sally Barkow and Ken Read for commentary. Makes sense. Hope they comment on Pablo's ability to get such good starts against such as Burling on TBRU.

Still love MAPF's exit from Itajaí. 

So good to hear Kenny's voice again. But he could read the telephone book to me, I'd love it.

• Like 3

Immediately after the start they showed Brunel as leader, but wasn't Vestas first over the line?
Dong f#cked up, sigh.

Edit: Vestas' tweet confirmed 2nd @ the start.

Just now, Rennmaus said:

Immediately after the start they showed Brunel as leader, but wasn't Vestas first over the line?
Dong f#cked up, sigh.

Thought VS11 was over early . . .  but not so. Kenny surprised at DFRT's start. But they did do really well in practice.

1 minute ago, despacio avenue said:

This is a really boring race.

Feel sorry for the Newport organizers. Weather didn't give them the leg finish they dreamed to have, and now stuck with a reachathon parade. Maybe they'll get the leg start they want tomorrow.

Commentators dishing sound chastisement to any  tuning in  online from Newport. "You should be out there watching."

By the way what is that god-awful sound behind Kenny? - lots of grinding (not the rigging kind).

1 minute ago, thengling said:

way what is that god-awful sound

Never mind, it's the chopper, major brain fart. Slow race, I guess.

Lots of buffering and scrambling. FB platform is awful for video, especially on Chrome (well known issue but apparently impossible to fix by Uncle Zuckerberg), and the Volvo site is always a minute or two behind.
Why not YouTube, Volvo-folks???

• Like 1

It is really remarkable how Brunel has continued to sail so well. Huge lead. 

This stopover has not made me want to go to Newport.

Read needs to shut his door or window on the chopper.

Huh. Kenny: Non-carbon sails for the sake of satellite comms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Huh. Kenny: Non-carbon sails for the sake of satellite comms.

Out of Aramid (Kevlar/Nomex). You may know that already, but I haven't really thought of it.
Like bulletproof vests and drivers' suits in motorsports.

Bice channeling your comment, Renny ;) 

It is a surprise to hear the are Kevlar not carbon fiber sails for communication reasons because we have frequently been told by Andy and others that the reason someone on the boat can't be interviewed is because the sails are carbon fiber. 

Just now, stief said:

Bice channeling your comment, Renny ;) 

Hihi, yep, heard that too :)

WTF is going on with TTOP? They were doing well, then  . . . . boom. Slow to mode? Current miscall? Anyone see what happened?

wearying of hearing about TTOP growing, etc. From yesterday's presses, so is Dee. 

• Like 1

MAPF's heasail trim very loose

image.png.878f774b6a6d3024b1003a42d4e75c42.png

• Like 1

Good one TBRU. Good start, and never really challenged on this course.

• Like 1

Good being a MAPF fan. They keep on grinding successfully. :D

• Like 2

Congratulations Team BRUNEL, the form team right now.

Hopefully they haven't left their winning run too late.

59 minutes ago, stief said:

Good one TBRU. Good start, and never really challenged on this course.

Whoop Whoop, good for confidence, now go pedal to the metal!

It would have been a miserable day out there today. There was light rain most of the afternoon and a brisk 54f temperature.

More gap between the winner of today short inshore course than the 1mn.2 seconds of the 7000miles race from Itajai to Newport.

20180519_140341_resized.jpg

• Like 1

What was the order of finish?

2 hours ago, Terrorvision said:

Well, Newport isn’t on any bucket list to sail in!

It is also the stopover problem child in terms of the race getting airplay in the US. I doubt we will see it again if new sponsors have their way. It also makes the nth hemi return Atlantic leg more of a sprint than anything else.

20 minutes ago, southerncross said:

What was the order of finish?

Team Brunel 7
2 MAPFRE 6
3 Vestas 11th Hour Racing 5
4 Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag 4
5 Dongfeng Race Team 3
6 team AkzoNobel 2
7 Turn the Tide on Plastic 1

Uploading pre-leg9 interviews...
The 20 English ones here, first Brunel:

Brunel get a head boost over Mapfre after the leg finish debacle. Would love to hear skippers honest opinion about these Inports. They don't do much for more me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Team Brunel 7
2 MAPFRE 6
3 Vestas 11th Hour Racing 5
4 Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag 4
5 Dongfeng Race Team 3
6 team AkzoNobel 2
7 Turn the Tide on Plastic 1

Thanks, mate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Uploading pre-leg9 interviews...
The 20 English ones here, first Brunel:

Mapfre (Sophie!!!) added.
Next: AkzoNobel

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks Renny.

My pleasure.
3 x Akzo uploaded now:

EDIT: Dongfeng and TtToP added

Edited by Rennmaus
Dongfeng and TtToP added

Posted (edited)

^
Now Vestas is in as well.
Next: approx 5 mins of the press conference

EDIT: in:

Two in-port summaries with interviews need to wait for upload until tomorrow. I have to listen to my cushion in a moment.

Edited by Rennmaus
Presser and animation upload added

Curious interview by Nic Douglass with Abby (had hoped Nic would dig into more moding questions rather than family/BoatMum spin). 

BBC summary (Bouwe Burling but no Cape?)

SUPERIOR WIN FOR TEAM BRUNEL IN NEWPORT

Team Brunel convincingly won the In-Port race on Saturday 19th May. After a good start the team of Bouwe Bekking immediately took the lead and kept it. Team Brunel climbs to third place in the In-Port race ranking due to the win.

New Zealander Peter Burling was the helmsman on board Team Brunel this Sunday, as in the previous harbor races. Burling: "We knew that the start would be crucial. We got off to a good start, and instantly sailed away from the rest of the field and that makes the race a lot easier.

Easy for Bekking
Immediately after the convincing finish, skipper Bouwe Bekking was focused on the overall final classification and the next leg. Bekking: "This is, of course, a good result just before we start the offshore. We had a good start and from then it was easy sailing. We just sailed very neatly and grabbed some points against the competition. It was a good stop-over for us. We know how important the next leg will be. We have to defeat the two red boats and then we still have an excellent chance of winning the race."

Team Brunel now third In-Port classification
Team Brunel moves up to the third place in the overall in-port ranking, due to this race. Brunel, who was also the best in Lisbon, has 36 points. This makes it the best Dutch boat in this classification. A separate classification system is maintained for the In-Port races. In case of a possible tie in the overall ranking, the result of the In-Port races is decisive. In total there are three more In-Port races to sail.

Standings In-Port race scoreboard
1. MAPFRE 50
2. Dongfeng Race Team 42
3. Team Brunel 36
4. team AkzoNobel 35
5. Vestas 11th Hour Racing 23
6. Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag 19
7. Turn the Tide on Plastic 16

Momentum for Brunel
Peter Burling: "It's great to win, great to find out that we have something like momentum. We have already set out a number of good results and we are hopeful that we can continue along this path

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stief said:

Curious interview by Nic Douglass with Abby 

Interestingly Abby said they also had electrical/charging issues. I wonder if the race is exposing an issue with Mastervolt's contained style (swap-out) system design and a cause for concern?

I say that having good knowledge of some VG boat DC systems and they are far easier to troubleshoot and rectify the envitable gremlins.

Would be a shame if something like this took someone out of a leg.

Hiya Jack. You've been on a roll these last few weeks.

DC electrical gremlins, Southern Spar carbon, North sails, equipment and crews are really being tested. How many "Sidney-Hobarts" have they sailed this edition? No other race offers that kind of sustained testing. 

Wonder if material 'fatigue' will be the major player this leg.  Carolijn Brouwer  makes that a key point  in her interview (thanks Renny). "boats and crews showing fatigue".

21 minutes ago, stief said:

How many "Sidney-Hobarts" have they sailed this edition?

Hi brother.

Over 60 and only around 8 to go over 3 short legs. This is now pin the ears back and leave nothing in the tank time. That probably raises the prospect of some carnage occuring on this leg.

• Like 2

Not the most exciting in-port race - not the best course, but not many alternatives for that geography. 

But it's still impressive to see them handle those beasts on a short buoy course. 

Impressive sailing and come-back by Map, and to a lesser extent DFR - especially in those conditions. 

MAP still seems to have that gear. 

Nico very circumspect about their prospects and offering up a different slant to some others who have been suggesting there is still a little bit left on the table in terms of effort.

Maybe some wily old fox coming through in front of a microphone.

• Like 2

Chris N "Above all, we've got to sail smart". Maybe TBRU's "mental coach" needed so Simeon and Jules can do like Bouwe and Cape.

The more I listen to these hindsight vids, the more I appreciate what Campos/Xabi have accomplished (no matter what happens in the future). Xabi has kept on grinding away, with 100's of "S-H" years of experience, to reveal what it takes to succeed in a Volvo.

As underdogs, underfunded and 'granted' a pass into the Volvo. the Spaniards have taken the opportunity, and like a scholarship student, have shown the rich teams how to succeed. It takes a while to develop the skills.

The others who hope all the breaks to go their way, or who can fund huge shore crews, should remember that they are newbies when it comes to putting together not just a one or two edition campaign, but one that goes on for years.

• Like 3

Sure hope no one runs aground or into something tomorrow.When Witty weaved his way through the spectator fleet, I clenched.

The Forever Fish logo is powerful . . . maybe will be even more effective than the Hans Horrevoets trophy.

speaking of the past, here's Chisnell on the 2008 race

With PUMA just three lengths behind, Bouwe Bekking was rattling out the instructions to the crew of Telefónica Blue. They needed to set up the code zero sail for the new leg, hoist the staysail, pull up the daggerboard and get the rest of the sails stacked up on the windward side. The whole crew was in motion. Jordi Calafat was trimming the code zero and turned to reach for his jacket. A moment later he was sprawling across the deck as the boat stopped with a sickening, violent crunch.

A few seconds’ silence, just a single curse in Spanish, and people picked themselves up. Then Jonathan Swain called for the big code zero to be furled, and other urgent voices joined in as three crewmen dashed up on deck. Down below, water was pouring in through the hole torn in the hull as their daggerboard struck an isolated rock. The boat spun uncontrollably into a tack and the wind now pushed her further on, the boat forced high out of the water as it sat on the keel.

Dead astern of Blue when it happened, the stress levels on PUMA went off the gauge as the crew sought reassurance from Andrew Cape that the same wasn’t about to happen to them. They dodged around the stricken boat; Read voicing his horrified reaction to the fate of Bouwe Bekking’s team. With a little more time to react, third-placed Green Dragon was calmer, with skipper Ian Walker expressing a widespread concern: “I hope those guys are all right. Rocks, it’s all rocks here, this whole country’s made of rock.”

Back on Telefónica Blue, the crew frantically tried to control the flow into the hull. The water reached the top of the generator before the emergency pumps and a desperate chain of men with buckets got it under control. And it soon became clear that they were never going to be able to free the boat on their own. The navigator was Simon Fisher, who had replaced Tom Addis for the final two sprint legs because of his greater inshore racing experience. Now, he sat down at the navigation station and picked up the satellite phone. “Oh f***, what have I done?” he whispered to himself as he dialled. He called the duty officer back at Race HQ to tell them that they were suspending racing. Free to seek help, they tried to have the boat towed backwards off the rock. The first attempt tore the tow post out of the powerboat. The second attempt tore a main winch off the deck of the yacht.

Safe watch all. I'm out.

• Like 1

Just saw the Witty interview. Love the comments here 

8 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

(...)
Two in-port summaries with interviews need to wait for upload until tomorrow. I have to listen to my cushion in a moment.

Here they are - may be similar to Jack's post above, apologies if this is the case.

I still have about 20 native language IVs to upload, but I've go a life today, so it will be evening until I can get to it.
They might come too late to contribute any thing worthwhile.

2 hours ago, stief said:

speaking of the past, here's Chisnell on the 2008 race

Well done stief...one of the classics.

Mark does pick up on some good stuff. Don't know too many naviguesers who are also pro writers across more than one genre.

37 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Here they are - may be similar to Jack's post above, apologies if this is the case.

Apologies be dammed Renn, you have to kiss that pillow now and again.

• Like 1

^ Haha, yes indeed.

O.k., before life needs my attention, here are already 8 native language videos from yesterday. The rest will follow this evening.

4 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

I still have about 20 native language IVs to upload, but I've go a life today, so it will be evening until I can get to it.
They might come too late to contribute any thing worthwhile.

Don't be too hard on yourself Rennmaus, your workload is high.

It was a very Burling kind of day wasn't it. Go the jaundice submariners.

31 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

A Team hard not to embrace if you haven't already adopted one to date.

I must be one of the few here that doesn’t support any team in particular, I’m just interested in the race overall. 

• Like 2

Nic dock-out with Stacey Jackson. Best quote about doing another VOR:  "Maybe third time lucky"

So may good interviews--Renny's especially---and so little time with the ice just off the lake last week here and the boat to launch in the next couple of days. Trying to keep up is an endurance race for the VOR followers too ;) 

Oh well. Well worth the time.

In their own words language:
added: Akzo, Brunel, Mapfre, incl. in-port IVs:

• Like 1

The yellow and blue boats will be out to take risks. Red boats will be focused on each other. 

^^ Thank you Rennie for all your hard work, much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Time to place our bets:

1 Brunel

2 Mapfre

3 Dongfeng

4 AkzoNobel

5 Vestas

6 Scallywag

7 TTOP

Mine (ok, might be a bit of a wish more than a bet) :

1 : DF

2 : Brunel

3 : MF

4 : Vestas

5 : Akzo

6 : Scally

7 : TTOP

Wow--huge exclusion zone. Guess that means 'Farewell to Nova Scotia' routing.

295313078_ScreenShot2018-05-20at10_22_03AM.png.2d1920d6b43a44ddc5ec58a64b7d763b.png

So, drag race mostly along the zone, then setting up for position into the 'technical' finish of Cardiff tides.

This leg, more than ever, won't be over until it's over. Really tough to call this one with anything more than wishful thinking.

Advantage English navigators at the end, speed teams first 1/3 

Carnage aside:

1. MAPF. Speed, mode changes, and grinding down the line might be enough for Vila to set them up for the finish. With fewer clouds to irritate Vila's sore spot, maybe he can read the finish enough to overcome 'local knowledge.

'2. TBRU. Speed and tactics; Cape for the finish (he's local enough, and certainly won't leave the door open for MAPF this finish).

3.DFRT. They should be well positioned for the final finish, but finishing has been their sore spot. 

4-5 VS11-TTOP. SiFi and Brian T. 

6. AKZO, sorry to say. Their turn will come in the next two legs.

7. SHKS. Libby is their weapon, but with few chances for a flyer to get them to the coast, don't think they have the speed to keep in tough.

Really though, haven't a clue what the reality will turn out to be. 

• Like 1

5 minutes until they finalize course. There was talk of canceling the circuit round the harbor due to fog but we can see the bridge now.....our bet is that it is still on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stief said:

Wow--huge exclusion zone. Guess that means 'Farewell to Nova Scotia' routing.

Indeed.

Hiya Herman . . .  you must be looking forward to the Europe legs.

I'm seeing 10 knots SW and high tide just past, start in about 1/2 hour. I think.

Gonna make a wild guess at the finish order?

Intro
Due to some posts by Jack Sparrow and SX towards the end of leg 8 I have been less active here. My vacation to northern Sardegna and looking out over a bay with the local sailing school helped distracting too. I can just say that I felt personally very disappointed about the negativity and can spend my time also elsewhere on a more positive note. QED.

Back on topic, here we go for the weather routing of leg 9.

The small picture out of Newport: 3 possible courses
- There are 3 possible routes out of Newport, depending on the wind strength an extra race round the cans is in order (course 1 start at Fort Adams). Course 2 is a start at Fort Adams but no round around the cans. Course 3 has also no extra cans but starts at Castle Hill Start instead of Fort Adams.
The pennant number shown during start will indicate the course out of Newport. 
- Tide during start (20:00 UTC = EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME -/- 4 hrs = EDT 16:00) is outgoing, the last 2,5 hours before Low Water. At Castle Hill, there will be the maximum current of a little more than 1 knot SW outgoing at 2000 UTC/1600 EDT. So the start time is selected for the maximum outgoing tide. That should make Charles and Pascal happy :P

The great picture:

- Multiple HP zones between the US east coast and the Azores in the coming days. 
- HP zones moving NE towards Scotland in the coming days.
- A deepening LP zone is moving from Canada (current position 0N 70W) east and generating 20+ kts winds on the east coast of the US and Canada. Later moving NE towards Greenland. According to NOAA rappidly intensifying and a developping gale.
- Later new LP zones wil come from the east coast of the US and Canada and a new HP zone expanding from the Azores and later moving to Iceland.
- The highway is between the HP zones to the east (starboard) and the LP zone to the north (port). Between the hammer and the anvil. 

Input:
- GFS 20/5/18 0600 UTC run for wind
- Resolution 0,5 degree
- 1 hour timesteps
- VO65 polars (own recipe with data input from @Volodia)
- Ice limits 
- Various other exclusion zones

Output:
- A trip of 10 days is the result. The routing wanted to go north as possible for pressure, but the ice limits prevent this and shifting the routing a lot more south as an alternative. 
- ETA in the evening of May, 30th.

Tide.png

Cardiff detail.png

Newport detail.png

big picture.png

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Due to some posts by Jack Sparrow and SX towards

Herman, seriously?  I even put a smily face on it.  I was joking!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

The yellow and blue boats will be out to take risks. Red boats will be focused on each other. 

Not sure about that Miff.  Charles said repeatedly they are going to sail their own race.  If it wasn't a double pointer and a make or break I'd say you're right.  

I think they'll all be going for broke especially since it's forecasted to be 6 - 7 days.