southerncross

VOR Leg 9 Newport to Cardiff

Didn't see the trailing boat having to go above close hauled a Hollywood call - SOLD!

2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

No jumpers this time?

There was talk earlier of no jumpers due to safety concerns because of the fog.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mad said:

What’s the reasoning behind the large exclusion zone to the north? 

Ice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mad said:

"Commercial traffic" at Newport, and "Ice" in the far north, that's what they said

So DFRT's extra tack paid off, while MAPF had to pinch. TBRU has the speed, and extended. Oh well. Back to the Live tracker (and zoom issues; really still wish race control would give forss access to the live feed), and the chores. 

Good exit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mad said:

Immediately off the coast there's two TSS. Then the large one for ice exclusion. If there's ice this far south this early in the season... it is going to be a sad year for polar bears this year. 

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Not sure about that Miff.  Charles said repeatedly they are going to sail their own race.  If it wasn't a double pointer and a make or break I'd say you're right.  

I think they'll all be going for broke especially since it's forecasted to be 6 - 7 days.

We'll see. Sure seemed like the two red boats were fixated on one erother while Brunel did its own thing. 

• Like 1

Sure beats watching the Royals' wed and frolic. 

Never ceases to amaze how the public totally dotes on people whose ancestors used to hunt folks like us for sport. 

29 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Ice.

Thought it might be, how close is it really? Similar scenario to ice gates in the southern Ocean? 

Looks like Bouwe is set to pick up the time over all point...  he'd need a ca 20 mile delta per day..  looking at close to half a mile per hour.. Can nobody see their set up through the fog or what is the secret here?

Not familiar with the area. What is this small "prohibited area" they are about to sail through?

v1.jpg.6a40551772e30e408bf728475fde9af4.jpg

16 hours ago, stief said:

As underdogs, underfunded and 'granted' a pass into the Volvo. the Spaniards have taken the opportunity, 

Stief,

I was not aware of any of the above. I thought they were favorites, were one. Did not know Mapre was underfunded. And what do you mean about Mapre being "'granted' a pass into the Volvo?

16 hours ago, stief said:

16 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Stief,

I was not aware of any of the above. I thought they were favorites, were one. Did not know Mapre was underfunded. And what do you mean about Mapre being "'granted' a pass into the Volvo?

They are definitely not under funded, there are some proper pay checks on board (and all deservedly so). However, they almost definitely have less funding than DFRT and Akzo. 

I don't know if a Spanish entry has been a condition of the tax breaks for the VOR, but possibly so. 

They had a comparatively good lead up time, and good crew line up and a great skipper and navigator; so I have always thought of them as favourites with DFRT. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Potter said:

They are definitely not under funded, there are some proper pay checks on board (and all deservedly so). However, they almost definitely have less funding than DFRT and Akzo. 

I don't know if a Spanish entry has been a condition of the tax breaks for the VOR, but possibly so. 

They had a comparatively good lead up time, and good crew line up and a great skipper and navigator; so I have always thought of them as favourites with DFRT. 

Can't imagine having a small crew rotation not being a significant cost saving with the sunk costs associated with training and credentials. 

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

Can't imagine having a small crew rotation not being a significant cost saving with the sunk costs associated with training and credentials. 

Or is it a philosophy of crew continuity and just saving of the crew budget and splitting it between fewer crew?

4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Hollywood call - SOLD!

No risk of 'simulation' penalties?

38 minutes ago, qwerty123 said:

Does this look like a tear? .....................

Just an untidy clew, I think. Others were worse.

2 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Stief,

Hey Despo.

No special inside info, but I think of them as 'underfunded', much as Potter says, in comparison with the big money teams like ADOR the last two times, AKZO this time, and especially Groupama and DFRT. Also, from what was said in the past two editions, post recession in Europe hit Spain hard and their big sponsor, Telefonica, pulled out. IIRC (and can't look up the details just now), it was even questionable if they would be on the start line last edition, and then Knut? Mark Turner? talked about a deal with Alicante for the VOR Museum and Race Control, with some kind of condition that there would be a Spanish entry. Have thought of them as a 'scholarship student' since then. VS11 and TTOP (maybe TBRU) get the underfunded podium this time.

As for being 'underdogs,', they have not been the popular choice of most Anarchists. Their English media reach has easily been overshadowed by Puma's American fans up north and Camper's down under  in 2012;  the fascination with DFRT, SCA and ADOR's winning ways last time last time, and TTOP this edition. btw, Cape, when he sailed for Telefonica with Iker and Xabi, regularly blew off the OBR, and rightly so. Gad, that OBR was irritating in English. Maybe it was a Spanish thing--as Chuso said, 'brand of the house', or some translation like that. Plus, MAPF fans are easily outnumbered here. (Aside: only recently has SC come out of the closet; figured he was like Mad, interested in them all, or perhaps leaned to TBRU). Personally, I thought I'd be a commonwealth team fan--Camper Nicho/ Sam Davies, but found myself fascinated by the Spanish getting knocked and getting back up again and again,  and climbing back up. So, against my inclinations, they earned my 'loyalty' and I refused to abandon them just because they were training partners for DFRT and accorded the 'other' team set up to be knocked down (again) this time. I'm sorta being a bit facetious here, but figure you know what I mean. The Melbourne leg gybe-fest was the big payoff this time. And by a trimmer-turned-skipper, not a rock-star.

• Like 6

^ What Stief said. As a relatively new follower of this event, Mapfre this time compared to Mapfre last time is a horse of different colour. Very likeable this time. That said, go Brunel. But I do tend to agree with Mad, it is most interesting just following the race as a whole, the people and stories are very compelling.

• Like 2

Enough--back to the tracker. TBRU lost the drag race to DFRT on the way to the first Nantucket Shoal Line mark of the course (link to latest SI). I missed how the got ahead--occasional sneak peaks at the tracker showed them all in pretty much the same breeze. 

Grind, MAPF, grind, before Burling's watch gets back on deck and figures out DFRT's turbo mode if the visibility allows  (kinda kidding).

• Like 2

The Red Head Twins are setting a cracking pace. This is going to be brutal, but mercifully quick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mad said:

The big long strip? It's the shipping channel into Boston 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Stief,

Did not know Mapre was underfunded. ?

They are not underfunded. The whole package including Alicante was in region of $20 million .

2 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

They are not underfunded. The whole package including Alicante was in region of $20 million .

Would 'Subsidized' be more accurate than 'underfunded'?

19 minutes ago, stief said:

Grind, MAPF, grind, before Burling's watch gets back on deck and figures out DFRT's turbo mode if the visibility allows  (kinda kidding).

Actually if you recall the skippers presser, Bouwe indicated with the words "cut and paste" being necessary sometimes when optimising mode settings.

16 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Actually if you recall the skippers presser, Bouwe indicated with the words "cut and paste" being necessary sometimes when optimising mode settings.

Yes. This wind strength seems to suit DFRT well. Been watching for TBRU sailing lower and faster, but not so. Guess they need more wind to show their Cape Horn mode, since the deltas across the fleet look  . . .  'normal'.

Any ideas how TBRU lost their lead? Am waiting for the 0100 sked to see if forss' tracker shows currents may be a factor 

21 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

This is going to be brutal, but mercifully quick.

If you had to pick a leg to be rotated out of, this is it. They are going to be stuffed at the other end.

6 minutes ago, stief said:

Any ideas how TBRU lost their lead?

The top 3 or 4 are so closely matched now the first thought on quick lead changes is a mistake or incident. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The top 3 or 4 are so closely matched now the first thought on quick lead changes is a mistake or incident. 

Agree.

Brunel was scary fast in the inshore and in the starting legs around the harbor. When I watched DF, haul past TBRU over the last 3 hours, my first thought is that TBRU might have torn something.

Yesterday I watched the Inshore Race and also The Wedding. What they have in common? Yachting started by Kings and Queens.

Today rounding the weather mark at Castle Hill before being launched to the next leg.

20180520_141122_001_resized.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanton Y_M said:

Yesterday I watched the Inshore Race and also The Wedding. What they have in common? Yachting started by Kings and Queens.

Today rounding the weather mark at Castle Hill before being launched to the next leg.

Would hardly call yesterday a race. Difficult to see how Newport will make the cut for the next edition.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FinnFish said:

Would hardly call yesterday a race. Difficult to see how Newport will make the cut for the next edition.

Newport, Rhode Island has always been a yachting snooze fest, even during the America's Cup, as I recall.

Quick FYI: I finally got all the Leg 8 videos tagged and described in the spreadsheet. Sorry I got so behind. My birdwatching obsession has been getting in the way.

I'm gonna work hard to stay more on top of things for Leg 9. (Admittedly, I'm already 6 videos behind. But after tagging about 120 in the last few days that doesn't look too bad.)

• Like 6

Fcst 15 hours shows ~500 nm needed to not fall off the back of the wave.   Or dive further south.  Who finds the sweet spot?

Cool shot from the TTOP Fb page. Finish order? where's MAPFRE? We shall see.

33120352_1813427305344148_33518310938493

• Like 4

Anyone tried the routing on the VOR site today? It's working really good... LOL 

Untitled.thumb.jpeg.e7a5e898b7e6847d5c2c549d3300a576.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Cool shot from the TTOP Fb page. Finish order? where's MAPFRE? We shall see.

Cool indeed. MAPF's clew looks like it covers DFRT's bow.

1 hour ago, FinnFish said:

Think it's just a bad furl, shot taken from a different angle(?)

Capture.JPG

Of course there's a tons of opinions - but clew out sheet on is safer IMO, won't unfurl and is self-tightening. All the cruisers that furl a wad of sheet onto their sails are just asking for trouble when the blowing gets tough.

1 hour ago, FinnFish said:

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Newport, Rhode Island has always been a yachting snooze fest, even during the America's Cup, as I recall.

Couldn't agree more but actually for a different reason.

Firstly I think the sailing teams like it for the fact it is relatively small, friendly and itimate, as it doesn't involve a haulout is a good place to rest and prepare for a long sprint after a long equatorial leg. It also has some top end sailing history which adds some authenticity as a stopover. 

However commercialy for the race itself (not the Newport Chamber of Commerce) it is a complete dud, despite all the hype.

In terms of TV publicity value afforded the Race the USA sits at the bottom of the ladder and in Online News publicity value while closer to the top, is much the same as smaller individual  Euro countries and one-third that of Chinas. These are pretty  damming media statistics for the world's largest single economy.

Therefore there is a lot riding on selecting a USA stopover to help turn these media numbers around. It also helps sailing as a sport in the US. Newport is not it. It has lowest Village traffic than any stopover. Many stopovers generate in just one day nearly half of Newport's total over two weeks. This edition with the wet weather will be even worse.

The RO if they are serious about getting more out of the US market either in penetration for sponsors and or as a source for fresh sponsorship dollars, an alternative stopover has to be seriously considered. That could range between the warmer climes of Florida or larger east coast population centres of Maryland (Annapolis) or even New York.

While they doing that the length of this leg also has to be considered if it is to be a double pointer for scoreboard reasons. Other than water temperature and potential wind speeds, it has very little in common with other double pointers. 

• Like 1

The pub life at this port makes up for it a bit? (grin)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stief said:

Hey Despo.

No special inside info, but I think of them as 'underfunded', much as Potter says, in comparison with the big money teams like ADOR the last two times, AKZO this time, and especially Groupama and DFRT. Also, from what was said in the past two editions, post recession in Europe hit Spain hard and their big sponsor, Telefonica, pulled out. IIRC (and can't look up the details just now), it was even questionable if they would be on the start line last edition, and then Knut? Mark Turner? talked about a deal with Alicante for the VOR Museum and Race Control, with some kind of condition that there would be a Spanish entry. Have thought of them as a 'scholarship student' since then. VS11 and TTOP (maybe TBRU) get the underfunded podium this time.

As for being 'underdogs,', they have not been the popular choice of most Anarchists. Their English media reach has easily been overshadowed by Puma's American fans up north and Camper's down under  in 2012;  the fascination with DFRT, SCA and ADOR's winning ways last time last time, and TTOP this edition. btw, Cape, when he sailed for Telefonica with Iker and Xabi, regularly blew off the OBR, and rightly so. Gad, that OBR was irritating in English. Maybe it was a Spanish thing--as Chuso said, 'brand of the house', or some translation like that. Plus, MAPF fans are easily outnumbered here. (Aside: only recently has SC come out of the closet; figured he was like Mad, interested in them all, or perhaps leaned to TBRU). Personally, I thought I'd be a commonwealth team fan--Camper Nicho/ Sam Davies, but found myself fascinated by the Spanish getting knocked and getting back up again and again,  and climbing back up. So, against my inclinations, they earned my 'loyalty' and I refused to abandon them just because they were training partners for DFRT and accorded the 'other' team set up to be knocked down (again) this time. I'm sorta being a bit facetious here, but figure you know what I mean. The Melbourne leg gybe-fest was the big payoff this time. And by a trimmer-turned-skipper, not a rock-star.

Thanks, Stief, as well as Mambo, Potter and others for the information, education and good bit of history about Mapre and its predecessors. It's one reason why I have enjoyed ORA.

That said, I am glad Herman is at least temporarily back, as I missed his very helpful route analyses and maps. Herman, I too have taken time off away from ORA when the negativity and name calling got to be too much. I don't need that in my otherwise very conflict-free life (now that I am retired. It was not so when working...). I could find myself getting sucked into serious sarcasm...

While I have been a DF fan the last two editions, I am now basically just enjoying the racing. Part of it is my inability to deal with defeat. Additionally, I like others have stated above have admiration and respect for Mapre for digging down deep and as Stief said "getting knocked and getting back up again and again." But mostly, all of these teams have some damn good sailors on board and what they are doing is flat out hard work and under some pretty miserable conditions. Any one of them deserves to win. Lastly, I have to admit a bit of superstition on my part. I think - well, I've been told- I jinx teams when I cheer for them. It certainly has been the case in the past several years' and present Stanley Cup playoffs (and NCAA men's basketball tournament),  so much so that I actually have buried, in the ground in my backyard, team gear (in plastic bags).  I won't say who I was or am rooting for because that may jinx them. My family has asked me NOT to text about the games anymore (we used to do so throughout the game, as is done on ORA). My sister in law is in the same boat as me (so to speak). 

Jack: LOVE Vestas' Fanboy. 

Last I checked, DFRT's lead was shortening slightly and they had new neighbors. It is still so early to be making any predictions. Which I am not going to do anyway (see discussion above). 

2 hours ago, FinnFish said:

I agree. It was a processional snooze fest. I recorded it and then skipped through it later. I admit to also taping and doing the same with The Wedding.  Listening to Andy Green and Ken Read exclaim over the size of the crowds watching the race today was like Trump raving about the "huge" size of the crowd at the Inaugural. Perhaps it had to do with the weather forecast or looking out the window and seeing the fog before the start. Granted, there were a lot spectator boats in the bay. Hong Kong and Ghanzhou were a bust spectator-wise as well. And all well out of the way. 

53 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Jack: LOVE Vestas' Fanboy.

Yes I'm really enamoured with the Charlie Enright view on RTW racing. At the presser when he said "the Scoreboard didn't really represent where they are" he was dead right, Vestas should be stone motherless last, not sitting just above or below on points, teams who have finished all legs.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Miffy said:

Then the large one for ice exclusion. If there's ice this far south this early in the season... it is going to be a sad year for polar bears this year. 

For reference, the site of the Titanic incident is about 41.72 N, 49.95 W, or about 180 nm south of the southern edge of the ice exclusion zone.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Lastly, I have to admit a bit of superstition on my part. I think - well, I've been told- I jinx teams when I cheer for them......so much so that I actually have buried, in the ground in my backyard, team gear (in plastic bags).

Mate that is hilarious.

BTW don't tell Shang you buried a Dong T-Shirt.

The poor bugger is currently struggling to keep the "Telefonica Itajai 2/1 Hoodoo" to the back of his mind. It is getting worse as exactly like Telefonica, the Dong could only manage 4th over the line at the US stopover. 

For superstitious Yellow fans, the boat who crossed 2nd was Groupama, the eventual winner of the 2011/22 edition.

The tea leaves never lie.

Here we go. Seems the (current) podium boats are stating their intentions/claims quite emphatically.

The gap has stabilised a bit. It will be interesting now they are into better breeze what the Submarine can do.

Paps, laughed out loud over your "jaundiced submarine" reference earlier. Almost as loud as when Burling shouted "f*** yeah" when they finished first. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zander said:

Here we go. Seems the (current) podium boats are stating their intentions/claims quite emphatically.

Yep "emphatic"...and as I'm now reduced to tea leaves and hoodoo to both blow up the Dong and get the Paintwaggon into Wales first...note the colour of the "emphatic" team.

I was going to berate Dong Feng for always hiding under the wings of Mapfre instead of making their own decisions and trying to get themselves ahead but I just looked at the tracker and it seems they have done just that! The in-port was their race to take from Mapfre but they never took the initiative.

It was also very nauseating listening to the commentators talk about how unfair it was that Dong Feng didn't win the leg into Newport but seems to forget that it was Brunel who lost out most yet they are not making any fuss over it that I have seen as publicly as DF. I know Shanghai Sailor is gong to skin me (pun intended...) but I actually think DF has shown several times that they can lead the fleet but they need to get out of their comfort zone.

The tracker is showing the fleet about to fall off the back of the front going through and the 6-hour forecast is showing light winds. If that is anywhere near accurate (and rarely seems to be) I cannot fathom why TTOP has gybed north.

1 hour ago, Terrorvision said:

I was going to berate Dong Feng for always hiding under the wings of Mapfre instead of making their own decisions and trying to get themselves ahead but I just looked at the tracker and it seems they have done just that! The in-port was their race to take from Mapfre but they never took the initiative.

Dong has led the fleet on many occasion but it's hard to pull away with compression zones throughout the course and at the end.  I think this is where Dongfeng has lost out, using their speed early rather than let other boats set the pace, keep it tight, conserve and pounce at the end.  This has been Mapfre's strategy.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Didn't see the trailing boat having to go above close hauled a Hollywood call - SOLD!

When you watch the video in stop motion there is almost no perceptible change in Vestas's course or speed.  They were also off pace since any boat going through a tack that close would have either been rolled or at the least only accelerated to even status.  I though it a gusty, smart move on Dee's part and a really bad call on the judge's.

One thing that this shows is how even a few 100 meters lost at the start of a race can translate into 100's of miles lost later on as the trailing boat falls off the back of the train.  

(back to lurking)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stief said:

Plus, MAPF fans are easily outnumbered here. (Aside: only recently has SC come out of the closet; figured he was like Mad, interested in them all, or perhaps leaned to TBRU).

Race fan first.  But Mapfre has continued to impress especially since Leg 3, the Horn recovery and the win into Newport.  I'm a fan.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate that is hilarious.

BTW don't tell Shang you buried a Dong T-Shirt.

The poor bugger is currently struggling to keep the "Telefonica Itajai 2/1 Hoodoo" to the back of his mind. It is getting worse as exactly like Telefonica, the Dong could only manage 4th over the line at the US stopover. 

For superstitious Yellow fans, the boat who crossed 2nd was Groupama, the eventual winner of the 2011/22 edition.

The tea leaves never lie.

Jack he can bury what he likes as long as DFRT bury Mapfre this leg - 25 miles ahead at the moment now 26 - they said they'd sail their own leg this time and they have gone for it big time, only boat that has gybed north so far. Let's hope Pascal's North Atlantic experience pays off.

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The RO if they are serious about getting more out of the US market either in penetration for sponsors and or as a source for fresh sponsorship dollars, an alternative stopover has to be seriously considered. That could range between the warmer climes of Florida or larger east coast population centres of Maryland (Annapolis) or even New York.

Florida doesnt care about sailing. Annapolis is the worst location on earth to have to sail to/from. New York cares even less about sailing than Florida.

Just now, shanghaisailor said:

Jack he can bury what he likes as long as DFRT bury Mapfre this leg - 25 miles ahead at the moment now 26 - they said they'd sail their own leg this time and they have gone for it big time, only boat that has gybed north so far. Let's hope Pascal's North Atlantic experience pays off.

Hold your horse there SS.  It's not the first time they've led by that margin and more.  There's a very large soft spot up ahead.  But they are out for blood, I'll give you that.

1 hour ago, Terrorvision said:

It was also very nauseating listening to the commentators talk about how unfair it was that Dong Feng didn't win the leg into Newport but seems to forget that it was Brunel who lost out most yet they are not making any fuss over it that I have seen as publicly as DF. I know Shanghai Sailor is gong to skin me (pun intended...) but I actually think DF has shown several times that they can lead the fleet but they need to get out of their comfort zone.

The tracker is showing the fleet about to fall off the back of the front going through and the 6-hour forecast is showing light winds. If that is anywhere near accurate (and rarely seems to be) I cannot fathom why TTOP has gybed north.

No worries Terror. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, sometimes the problem lies with how they express it :-).

I am a fan of DFRT for obvious reasons but I am also a fan of the Race.

The team have determined to sail their own leg and Mapfre is just a "Red Boat" just like Bertrand did to Liberty in 1983 - just a "red Boat". It was unfortunate rather than unfair that a 5,700 mile Ocean Race should be determined in the 10-15 miles if a coastal windless estuary with a strong ebb tide. However the deal cut with Newport was a finish off the village and the SI's had no provision for shortening the leg.

It was what it was and the team accept that. At the moment they are showing the best response to that disappointment.

This leg should be theirs based on form and experience. Charles has won a Transatlantic TWICE albeit in the opposite direction and Pascal still holds the West East record

We will see in another 8 or 9 days.

Now where are my caffeine tablets?

SS

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Hold your horse there SS.  It's not the first time they've led by that margin and more.  There's a very large soft spot up ahead.  But they are out for blood, I'll give you that.

Not so much holding my horses Southern, more like holding my breath. I will breath a lot easier once the fleet are past the ice zone. I have faith in Pascal who knows the Atlantic well. Fingers crossed.

Just now, shanghaisailor said:

Not so much holding my horses Southern, more like holding my breath. I will breath a lot easier once the fleet are past the ice zone. I have faith in Pascal who knows the Atlantic well. Fingers crossed.

I'll bet.  Nerve wracking for the Dongfeng fans.  

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Too early gybe I say. 

Time will tell, I notice the other very experienced North Atlantic Navigator, Brian Thomson, has also gybed. 

I picked a bad week to give up smoking