southerncross

VOR Leg 9 Newport to Cardiff

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

For the Martine groupies

Interesting reminder to me that there is more video out there than just the Raw Content (and also the Daily Live, the stuff the Race Experts do on Twitter, the leg departure and arrivals coverage,  the in-port races, the edited mini-documentaries about the legs that come out later and probably other stuff I'm forgetting about). My original hope was to put all of that, or as much of it as I could, into the spreadsheet and describe and tag it, but there just wasn't time. Maybe in the next race (assuming there is a next race) I can do more to crowdsource something with more complete coverage.

On a brighter note, I'm all caught up on the Raw Content describing and tagging, yay! It's been a while since I could say that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jbc said:

Interesting reminder to me that there is more video out there than just the Raw Content (and also the Daily Live, the stuff the Race Experts do on Twitter, the leg departure and arrivals coverage,  the in-port races, the edited mini-documentaries about the legs that come out later and probably other stuff I'm forgetting about). My original hope was to put all of that, or as much of it as I could, into the spreadsheet and describe and tag it, but there just wasn't time. Maybe in the next race (assuming there is a next race) I can do more to crowdsource something with more complete coverage.

On a brighter note, I'm all caught up on the Raw Content describing and tagging, yay! It's been a while since I could say that.

EDIT: Excellent job, jbc!
Isn't it great that we get so much content this time, more than most of us can follow? What a difference to the last edition.

Here is part two:

I must say the color scheme of Yellow-Black, Orange, Lavender-Minthgreen starts to grow on me... :D

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

EDIT: Excellent job, jbc!
Isn't it great that we get so much content this time, more than most of us can follow? What a difference to the last edition.

Here is part two:

Nico looking very Apocalypse Now/Colonel Kurtz in that lighting. 

The horror.... 

8 minutes ago, Big Show said:

Nico looking very Apocalypse Now/Colonel Kurtz in that lighting. 

The horror.... 

Hihi, too funny.

2 x Brunel:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

Old news, but I think it it is quite cool to see Abby repair the tiller arm, and that she together with Liz are two awesome boat captains and true ambassadors of the right kind of female power :). Here in the UK there is some debate about an actress who just married a prince and says she is a true feminist, well, I’d like to think that the ladies on board these boats are showing us what it really means to be equal to our male companions. Pretty awesome!

As for that cardboard Bekking thingy, who would want to have that? I mean, I cheer for Brunel and have a soft spot for Bouwe but I’m sure it is not much appreciated if I bring that thing into the master bedroom  :lol:.

Back to the tracker.... , cards are being played. 

Pedantic I know.. But they did not "repair" the tiller arm, they replaced it with a spare. It's a Fu*king horrible job replacing those things while the boat is still being steered though; good way to loose a finger or two. 

12 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Pedantic I know.. But they did not "repair" the tiller arm, they replaced it with a spare. It's a Fu*king horrible job replacing those things while the boat is still being steered though; good way to loose a finger or two. 

Abby Ehler & Kyle Langford explain the issue and the fix:

24 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I’m not technical at all, neither want to be. Repairing, replacing all the same in my book, as long as at the end of day the problem is solved, which it fortunately is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I’m not technical at all, neither want to be. Repairing, replacing all the same in my book, as long as at the end of day the problem is solved, which it fortunately is. 

morsom - mandplacering :D;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

morsom - mandplacering :D;)

Wrong end of the stick? 

• Like 1

Southern boats all made a smooth transition to the NE wind without parking.  Witty TWD of 49 deg and the fact that they'll be beating for a bit might want to tack to get inside the lift and gain a bit back on the leaders if they get headed any more.

I've gotta say this split fleet thing is bloody inconvenient from a following on the tracker view point.  ;)

Convergence is therefore a good thing, when armchair bound. Get it back together boys and girls!

12 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I've gotta say this split fleet thing is bloody inconvenient from a following on the tracker view point.  ;)

Convergence is therefore a good thing, when armchair bound. Get it back together boys and girls!

It's gorgeous. Compare this with last year's follow-the-leader-edition. It's so much better in 2017/18, the teams have their own ideas about the fastest route in every leg - also with the "help" of Scally. Who would have thought that this time turns out so differently, even with OD and AIS?!?

• Like 1

Love the splits so far.
Dislike the random finishes.
Like the race, but I think it needs a new sponsor, and I think Volvo does too.
Who will take over?
If not, are we then witnessing the last ocean crossing in this epic race?

3 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

It's gorgeous. Compare this with last year's follow-the-leader-edition. It's so much better in 2017/18, the teams have their own ideas about the fastest route in every leg - also with the "help" of Scally. Who would have thought that this time turns out so differently, even with OD and AIS?!?

I'd say the uneven preparedness & the 2 red boats having the better prep/build up definitely has helped create this drama. 

The two red boats showed their boat speed advantage early on - and were a cut above the rest at boat speed and the major differences seemed to be in routing - MAPFRE seemed more conservative and DF would make the reactionary moves and it didn't work but it was good for the show. MAPFRE's disaster in leg 7, and Brunel's emergence has made it more interesting. Starting the leg it was clear the two red boats would be more focused on each other - the vibes were confirmed in the starting gates. Brunel and the rest didn't get the coverage and now they seem away. If the southern fleet really take it & Brunel wins the leg - the next 2 legs will be amazing. 

• Like 1

Does anyone miss the tracker 6-hour updates?

Didn't think so.

Imagine the concern aboard MAPFRE right now. They're getting slaughtered.  

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 8.13.04 AM.png

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

Trot in the park for them.  Trying to think of the equivalent back runner in horse racing.

Mustafa Ingham is now a qualified Volvo Ocean Race sailor.

rglogo1.gif&LogoXPos=5&LogoYPos=5&maxw=8

Ingham, who competed for Team BDA at the Red Bull Youth America’s Cup last summer, became eligible to compete in the race around the world after attaining offshore yachtmaster status from the Volvo Ocean Race Academy this month.

“The experience has been completely different to anything else I’ve been used to,” Ingham said. “A couple of months ago I just learnt how to sail a GC32 and foil, so this is a big a change.

“It’s been a good learning experience and just getting the opportunity and going around the world is pretty cool.”

Ingham began his apprenticeship last October with Turn the Tide on Plastic, one of seven teams in the 2017-18 Volvo Ocean Race, which involved working with the syndicate’s shore team while sitting exams.

“I was putting in time studying when the boat left the dock and during stopovers as well,” Ingham said. “It’s been full on.”

Turn the Tide on Plastic is a mixed, youth-focused team led by British sailor Dee Caffari — the first woman to have sailed single-handedly and non-stop around the world in both directions. “Congratulations to our team member Mustafa Ingham who is now a qualified yachtmaster,” Caffari said. “We are very proud of you.”

In addition to completing his apprenticeship, Ingham has also served as a sports tourism ambassador through a partnership with the Bermuda Tourism Authority and XL Catlin.

“It’s a huge responsibility that I have been given,” he said. “It’s great to go out and represent my country every day. Everyone seems interested in Bermuda and we have a perfect place to sail.

“I don’t take it lightly but I’m quite happy with the opportunity that I’ve been given and willing to make the most of it.”

Kevin Dallas, the BTA chief executive, said: “Mustafa’s ambition to be a world-class sailor fits really neatly with our ambition for Bermuda to be a world-class sailing destination.

“The timing couldn’t have been better because post-America’s Cup there were opportunities for Mustafa and opportunities for Bermuda to pursue world-class events that we could host in Bermuda. So the timing is really perfect to have him as our ambassador and our Bermudian voice out in the world of sailing.”

Dallas added: “It’s accurate to say we took a risk on Mustafa. He’s a young guy without a lot of experience, but his passion and dedication have filled any gaps he has in experience.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/sailing/article/20180522/ingham-qualifies-for-volvo-oceanrace&template=mobileart

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Trot in the park for them.  Trying to think of the equivalent back runner in horse racing.

"Cardigan Bay" - famous New Zealand pacer. Used to do a MAPFRE in all her races.

• Like 1

HOW TO GET INFORMATION OUT OF CAPEY 101

Blog - How to get information out of Capey 101 - Tuesday 1826 UTC

SG: Do you want a coffee?

AC: Mmmm. Welll.. Yeah, ok sure.

SG: Where's your cup?

AC: Down there to leeward, setting up for the tack.

SG: Gotcha. How long till that tack?

AC: About an hour, hour and a half.

And that's how long till the next maneuver. I'm off to make a coffee.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

I'd say the uneven preparedness & the 2 red boats having the better prep/build up definitely has helped create this drama

Miff many put the 2014/15 procession down to OD and mandatory AIS so the latter was clearly off the money.

I put it down now to the fact they all had no idea of the max target numbers that could be squeezed out of these boats so they all stuck together like glue. Bit like a learner driver experience or a conga line of drunks, some slipping but getting up again.

This edition courtesy of the introduction of people coming from environments where "large effort for small reward" is the norm like AC, the upper limits have now been found. Your right DFRT and MAP found them first and lead the way in the beginning and the BRUNELs etc caught up.

So knowing that you are at max or very close to in each mode without reference to another boat, a split on your own now is less daunting. In fact it increases pressure on navigators this edition to find the routing differences because that is all what is left on the table and weather patterns each leg determine how many big ones there might be.

• Like 5

Dongfeng has caught the breeze leaving the other two Northern boats behind.

Meanwhile, Brunel and Vestas have tacked.

3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

I wonder if they've considered getting out their frankensail again - they did very well with it. I assume they have it on board.

47 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Dongfeng has caught the breeze leaving the other two Northern boats behind.

Sailing into more pain.

35 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dunno about that..being north is looking pretty good from here in the cheap seats.

As a Mapfre supporter I was pretty depressed yesterday but less so now. One thing's for sure, this is going to be a tricky-arse leg and plenty of surprises to come.

Is anybody else finding that the VOR site is loading like it is 1995, showing just old school lists of links? Tied three different browsers in Mac OS, Firfox, Safari, Chrome.

Screenshot-2018-5-23 Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Is anybody else finding that the VOR site is loading like it is 1995, showing just old school lists of links? Tied three different browsers in Mac OS, Firfox, Safari, Chrome

Loads fast for me on VDSL.

Oh, it is loading fast enough, just coming up like in the screenshot. Will reboot and see what happens.

Yep I've been getting that since I woke up this morning, about 3 1/2 hours ago. Phone (Samsung Android), iPad and PC (using Chrome)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Yep I've been getting that since I woke up this morning, about 3 1/2 hours ago. Phone (Samsung Android), iPad and PC (using Chrome)

OK, then. If two people on opposite ends of the planet are getting the same result on a different computer OS, then at least nobody can say that it must be a "Mac thing."

Yeah the Volvo site was down in some way. The phone app comes in handy. Interesting times with Brunel heading back over. Anyone care to pick this? LOL :D

8 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Interesting times with Brunel heading back over. Anyone care to pick this? LOL :D

Down the bottom is like watching a VMG horror movie, you just want the curtain to come down and the lights to come on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thengling said:

I wonder if they've considered getting out their frankensail again - they did very well with it. I assume they have it on board.

You mean the mainsail they repaired at Cape Horn? No, they don't have it aboard. Only one of each sail aboard, per the rules. 

But they could intentionally rip it in half then repair it, if you think it brings luck...

• Like 1

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Down the bottom is like watching a VMG horror movie, you just want the curtain to come down and the lights to come on.

The same horror movie we watched yesterday but further north :D

Just now, Sea Breeze 74 said:

The same horror movie we watched yesterday but further north :D

Well we are in a Twin Cinema......just hope the matinee in each is less excruciating.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Well we are in a Twin Cinema......just hope the matinee in each is less excruciating.

At least it gives the lesser boats a chance of utilising luck as part of their strategy otherwise the Mapfre show continues to roll on..! Talking about the Spanish who are 83 miles behind now and dead last I guess it's fair to say so what? 

1 hour ago, Forestdawg said:

Is anybody else finding that the VOR site is loading like it is 1995, showing just old school lists of links? Tied three different browsers in Mac OS, Firfox, Safari, Chrome.

Screenshot-2018-5-23 Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18.jpg

Yes, it's been like that for me for hours.

1 minute ago, despacio avenue said:

Well it's working absolutely fine in Northern NZ on Chrome/Desktop PC. Also on Safari/iOS 11.3

Will check my desktop Mac at home with a different ISP in about an hour.

6 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

All good here, AUS, PC running Opera. 

Things looking brighter for the Northern group this morning. Day of trying not to run out of breeze followed by a big kick in the arse of about 30 knots in 18 hours from now.  Long way to go till Wales.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

"Cardigan Bay" - famous New Zealand pacer. Used to do a MAPFRE in all her races.

There is a parkup forecasted toward the end, they can do it again.

3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah the Volvo site was down in some way. The phone app comes in handy. Interesting times with Brunel heading back over. Anyone care to pick this? LOL :D

Phone app working on my iPhone. Web site still down on my laptop (MAC, Safari, Chrome, etc.)

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

...a conga line of drunks, some slipping but getting up again."

Classic. Nice word picture there, Jack. ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Phone app working on my iPhone. Web site still down on my laptop (MAC, Safari, Chrome, etc.)

FWIW - same as my work PC environment - Chrome on Mac Desktop also working fine in NZ. Clearly a geographical issue ... perhaps cable issue somewhere?

18 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

There is a parkup forecasted toward the end, they can do it again.

That's what I'm afraid of, Pano. ;)

30 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Yeah, especially since I can see them from my front porch.

Sarah is your neighbour, DP?

5 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Is this a singularity ahead ... ready to swallow all who dare enter?

singularity.jpg

I love, Google. Thanks for the vocab lesson, SB.

43 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

singularity.jpg

They are sailing into it with a lot of confidence, they might think it is warp hole that gets them right to the finish :blink: 

let’s hope it moves! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

singularity.jpg

17 minutes ago, Elisa said:

They are sailing into it with a lot of confidence, they might think it is warp hole that gets them right to the finish :blink: 

let’s hope it moves! 

Keep the faith Red Tide and Plastic followers, the hole of death is thirsting for a pint of Guinness.

As for the other crowd, well I hope they like walking up stairs while the lift is out of order and equally want that hole of death guy to find an Irish Pub and lickety split.

• Like 1

They are not running into that High... it overtook them with light and fickle winds for the North group... its waiting for the next low.

• Like 1

Dongfeng 16.1 Knots VMG  will be eating away intoi Brunel and gang and with Mapfre in tow. With 2000 miles to go will be interesting to see if Dongfeng can finish ahead of Mapfre or will the Spaniards work their magic once again?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LeoV said:

They are not running into that High... it overtook them with light and fickle winds for the North group... its waiting for the next low.

The Low is the owner of that Irish Pub pushing that hole of death High to the Bar.

Leo you don't crop up much on crewed. Which fellow Dutchman are you rooting for at the Hague? My guess the old guy and the Ozi pie eater who started late with no money and not the young local guy with money but started late in turmoil driving the kaleidoscope?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Keep the faith Red Tide and Plastic followers, the hole of death is thirsting for a pint of Guinness.

As for the other crowd, well I hope they like walking up stairs while the lift is out of order and equally want that hole of death guy to find an Irish Pub and lickety split.

It's a worm hole. They should pop up in Landsdowne Pub, Cardiff in less than 12 parsecs.

• Like 1

I support both for 30 % Akzo/50 % Brunel because I know one person ( funny enough, not Dutch) on Brunel, as 20% is reserved for disappointment that they are not working together.
Would have thought that with the paint job on Akzo, they could have put some yellow on it and pull funds and experience together...

Anyway, at time of split routing software was almost even on time of reaching corner of restricted area and freedom. yesterday advantage of 60 miles to South, now only 10 or so for South. shows the weird job a weather guy has, the glass orb is a nice icon for it... but it makes for good watching. Imagen if routing was spot on... we could relplace VOR with a dragrace circuit in a harbour.

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Sarah is your neighbour, DP?

Sadly, yes.  Well, 45 miles away, but that's sort of a neighbor, and too close for me. 

Edited by despacio avenue
Needed clarification.

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I put it down now to the fact they all had no idea of the max target numbers that could be squeezed out of these boats so they all stuck together like glue. Bit like a learner driver experience or a conga line of drunks, some slipping but getting up again....

...In fact it increases pressure on navigators this edition to find the routing differences because that is all what is left on the table 

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Classic. Nice word picture there, Jack;)

7 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Imagen if routing was spot on... we could relplace VOR with a dragrace circuit in a harbour.

Yes I think us olde codgers have it worked it all out. :-) Just a pity there are not more on the dance floor.

images (18).jpeg

11 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Does anyone miss the tracker 6-hour updates?

Didn't think so.

Well, I kind of miss waiting for the updates and the speculations between them. But I also love being able to check the tracker anytime. So I’m not complaining. I’m just glad I can actually SEE it, so I have a hobby until I can get back on the water again myself in a few weeks! Hopefully I won’t get seasick. Pretty much blind in my right eye, for good, so I hope I get used to it. 

19 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Would have thought that with the paint job on Akzo, they could have put some yellow on it and pull funds and experience together...

Well Akzo had experience before the pre cast off catastrophe. Not so much now with a freshman Navigator and short on V65 experience as large a Vestas contingent it is, they went on holiday for most of it last edition after finding these 65 things don't come with wheels.

The old yellow guy has beaten them on improvement to date largely having the largest AC input of any team out there. He worked out what was required for this edition but unfortunately didn't have the bucks to implement it earlier enough.

That's why I threw my hat down in Newport as he did particularly after the RO was told twice pre race and pre Itajai start the Newport finish was shit.

Anyway back to racing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Well, I kind of miss waiting for the updates and the speculations between them. But I also love being able to check the tracker anytime. So I’m not complaining. I’m just glad I can actually SEE it, so I have a hobby until I can get back on the water again myself in a few weeks! Hopefully I won’t get seasick. Pretty much blind in my right eye, for good, so I hope I get used to it. 

Sad to hear that. Up side is it may help with sea sickness, takes one sense out of the equation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Sad to hear that. Up side is it may help with sea sickness, takes one sense out of the equation.

B)

Partial thread drift: What I began thinking about as I continued to observe, with a lot of appreciation and enjoyment,  is the wide geographical diversity of posters (which seems to be increasing, as well as ebbing and flowing) on Ocean Racing Anarchy threads threads and of particular relevance, the VOR threads for this edition. And those are obviously only the posters who identify where they are located, and many, even most, don't, for whatever reason.  In any event,  this fact is one of many that makes me hope the "VOR" remains in an improved form. There is so much expertise, all the charts and postings provided - e.g. Hermann, Jack, Stief, SC, Rennmaus, JTC, SeaBreeze,etc, regional knowledge (was it Sailbydate who could see the boats as they approached Northern NZ and got out in a boat and told us about it?), translation provided by Spanish posters for the fast-talking Neti,  Chay and Fiji Bitters regarding the Vestas mast mess in the Falklands, inside scoop (e.g. Potter, Miffy) and many more; sharing the shock and sadness of a fatal collision and the death of a race crew member was a unique but strangely comforting despite the often heated debate.

Enough near nostalgia. Still 2 2/3 legs to go. No VOR-future decisions yet.

Night all. Let's see how long I can last without checking the tracker. 

• Like 6

Jack, on the other hand having two boats in is fun, a youngster against an oldy... makes more drama, that is always good.

16 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Well Akzo had experience before the pre cast off catastrophe. Not so much now with a freshman Navigator and short on V65 experience as large a Vestas contingent it is, they went on holiday for most of it last edition after finding these 65 things don't come with wheels.

The old yellow guy has beaten them on improvement to date largely having the largest AC input of any team out there. He worked out what was required for this edition but unfortunately didn't have the bucks to implement it earlier enough.

That's why I threw my hat down in Newport as he did particularly after the RO was told twice pre race and pre Itajai start the Newport finish was shit.

Anyway back to racing.

Does anybody actually know why those crew members quit AZKO? I read that had supposedly not been paid (which I assume was remedied when he must have gotten more money after he allegedly spent what was budgeted), and there was the drama of him being fired and then rehired after the arbitration...Or do I need to go to the pre-Leg 1 thread to parse all this out? 

The site gone all weird ... can't see anything.... Anyone else having issues..?

3 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

VOR? OK in ye old England

14 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Jack, on the other hand having two boats in is fun, a youngster against an oldy... makes more drama, that is always good.

Leo someone told me they were thinking of having a Dutch match race in the Hague? It will be huge there. Last time with just a stop for a sandwich the highest Race Village daily numbers of any Stopover.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Not that it helps you, but it looks fine on my iPad, using safari. It’s brand new, though.

• Like 1

EDIT: messed up trying to use the quote button

Does anybody actually know why those crew members quit AZKO? I read that had supposedly not been paid (which I assume was remedied when he must have gotten more money after he allegedly spent what was budgeted), and there was the drama of him being fired and then rehired after the arbitration...Or do I need to go to the pre-Leg 1 thread to parse all this out? 

It is complicated...

The way I remember it is that there was a longer simmering conflict between Tienpont's management company and Alzonobel. The during "leg 0"about 10 days before the start Akzo fired Tienpont and they asked Brad Jackson (?) to take over as skipper. Then, once the ruling was made in favor of Tienpont, he came back and some (3?) of the crew left/were dismissed. Presumably because it had become hard to work with a bunch of guys that were happy to take Tienpont's place.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Damn. 

Quick . . .  Write Knut Frostad and maybe he’ll find you a bow position with him. 

1 minute ago, stief said:

Damn. 

Quick . . .  Write Knut Frostad and maybe he’ll find you a bow position with him. 

Hehe ;) which eye did he damage? My left eye is ok, if his right eye is fine we’d make a brilliant team...

<