southerncross

VOR Leg 9 Newport to Cardiff

14 minutes ago, LeoV said:

No paint needed for his house, but his own boat probably needs a good coat, he actually lives in a villa, palaces enough but crappy, guess he hates living in old cold places with no internet and wifi throughout. Smart guy.

Mmmm.. so Leo no need for a free paint job on the palace and then the King's minders have counciled him against wearing wet weather gear that looks like a drunken kaleidoscope...  so my tip is the King will be on Yellow at the Hague regardless of the result.

That tip may help if you guys have a national betting platform for nonsence.

1 hour ago, despacio avenue said:

Does anybody actually know why those crew members quit AZKO? I read that had supposedly not been paid (which I assume was remedied when he must have gotten more money after he allegedly spent what was budgeted), and there was the drama of him being fired and then rehired after the arbitration...Or do I need to go to the pre-Leg 1 thread to parse all this out? 

58 minutes ago, Zander said:

It is complicated...

The way I remember it is that there was a longer simmering conflict between Tienpont's management company and Alzonobel. The during "leg 0"about 10 days before the start Akzo fired Tienpont and they asked Brad Jackson (?) to take over as skipper. Then, once the ruling was made in favor of Tienpont, he came back and some (3?) of the crew left/were dismissed. Presumably because it had become hard to work with a bunch of guys that were happy to take Tienpont's place.

20 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

That's about how I remember it too. Local boy Brad told me that spare crew members from Scally and Donfeng were loaned to Akzo in the first leg to Lisbon as they were otherwise short.

In terms of answering the Desperados question being "Does anybody actually know why those crew members quit AZKO?" you both haven't really answered his question.

As the Desperate one has gone to bed I will try to do so after he wakes up or there is a gap in proceedings here.

Remind me if I don't.

Weather routing (1/5)

The big picture (see the green numbers & letters on the NOAA synoptic overlay chart for today 00 UTC)

N = northern fleet
S = Souterhn fleet

1. The cold front has finally passed the southern boats yesterday, forcing them to gybe to the NE.
2. A second front has passed the northern boats yesterday, front is stationary.
3. A HP zone is off the coast of Newfoundland, moving due east and making way for..
4. A LP zone from the NE coast of the US will move almost due east and ..
5. Develop into a gale according to NOAA. A gale = 34 - 47 kts windspeed averaged over a 10 minute interval. This gale will be impacted the whole fleet tomorrow.
6. The gale will move along the coast of Newfoundland to the NE towards Greenland and deepen further. The fleet will hook on to it's tail and enjoy broad reaching conditions with 30 kts of wind. See second big picture.
7. Another developing gale is expected off the coast of Newfoundland for May 25th 00 UTC in the NOAA +48 hrs surface forecast.

So a challenging couple of days are ahead for all boats. More time to keep the stuff together than push for max boatspeed.

Input
- GFS 0,5d
- boat positions 0730 UTC
- 1 hr timesteps

Output
1. ETA is pushed back compared to the weather routing yesterday (ETA was afternoon 29th) to the early morning of the 31st. A lot of HP zones projected off the coast of Ireland, UK and France are blocking a swift passage.
2. Unbelievable. All boats are projected to finish within 10 minutes of each other. This is possibly going to be One-Design racing at it's best again! I won't take any bets on the winner. But go Team Brunel!

big picture 23 May 18 compressed.jpg

big picture +48 hrs compressed.jpg

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

In terms of answering the Desperados question being "Does anybody actually know why those crew members quit AZKO?" you both haven't really answered his question.

As the Desperate one has gone to bed I will try to do so after he wakes up or there is a gap in proceedings here.

Remind me if I don't.

I was unsuccessful in my attempt to sleep.  Was interrupted by a text from afar which prompted me to check the tracker and saw that DF, who I am not rooting for because of the j**x issue, is only .2 behind Brunel! with Mapre 41.2 behind. Is that an error? A hallucination? 

Weather routing - continued

Note that in the new current version of the weather routing plugin the projected weather tracks for the boat have wind barbs now, and that the colour of the line indicates the sailing comfort;

Green = Light conditions
    Orange = Can be tough, stay focus
    Red = Strong conditions, heavy sailing, be prepared

The projected track of for instance Team Brunel shows 2 red parts for the same LP zone. The first time when it passes Newfoundland and the second time when it deepens and moves to Greenland and TBRU tries to stay hooked to the LP zone.

TBRU 1 compressed.jpg

TBRU 2 compressed..jpg

8 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

^^^Herman, I am gobsmacked. This is nuts!  See my comments in my above post. And thanks for the charts. 

Yep, not my favorite scenario either (still hoping that Bouwe and Capey can pull it off with the rough weather sailing), but boy what a race are we going to have in the coming days!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Herman said:

2. Unbelievable. All boats are projected to finish within 10 minutes of each other. This is possibly going to be One-Design racing at it's best again! I won't take any bets on the winner. But go Team Brunel!

Herman I preface what I say here by saying you do a grand job here educating people about weather and the concepts of routing.

The time you take doing that is to be applauded and many are greatful.

However stop and give yourself an uppercut.

You have never done this in real life and are using here a bit of open source routing shit that omits so many inputs it is not funny. You used to do it using Expedition which is far more accurate, but my guess is your Demo time ran out.

So for example your prediction times above about unbelievable finish times is complete nonsence with the basic shit you are using. That is useless desktop delusion at best.

Maybe you work on the fuel of self gratification so that won't matter, no one will remember, but I made a hero statement?

I only say this Herman because this is actually a pretty serious room, unlike others where you peddle your thoughts.

My guess your response to this post is you pretend you have been banned and disappear like before because criticism is not in your dictionary or you modify and  hang in.

I hope you hang in and keep up the good work without the bullshit, there is enough of that and I probably sin more than most having a rather flippant demenour unlike yours.

Sorry I woke up today and the calender said "take no dickheads prisoner" day.

• Downvote 1

Update from skipper Dee Caffari onboard Turn the Tide on Plastic: 

It is so good to be moving again. Yesterday we spent floating around trying to move as best as we could in the right direction. It was so  depressing and frustrating as we got swallowed by a small high pressure. The only saving grace was that we spent yesterday within sight of Dongfeng who were also left floundering in the light airs. Luckily we were in the Gulf stream at the time of no wind and we had a magic carpet underneath us carrying us at 2 or 3 knots in a north easterly direction. 

It also meant that both the sea temperature and water temperature were in the region of 20 degrees and it was warm on deck and below deck. Once the breeze filled in around midnight we have been pushing hard to make some miles along the track. We are still in water influenced by the gulf stream, as the temperature is around 19 degrees but sadly no helpful current. In stark contrast, by the end of today we will be in water as cold as 3 degrees as we catch ourselves in a stream of the labrador current.

This cold water comes down from the Labrador Sea carrying with it icebergs. We have an exclusion zone to keep us safe from the ice but one has been spotted by the International Ice patrol (not a made up name I promise), just on the edge of the zone.

The breeze should stay now and build for at least a few days as we ride this depression as far as we can. This will also bring the split fleet  back together again and we will see how far in front the southern group get. There is still a lot of race track to go and a lot of transitions yet to come.

Dee and Team TTTOP.

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Fairing the rudder on the go.

Kyle really trusting Burling there. At the tail end of the video it looks like BB was in trouble there. 

I have learned the ancient art of reading quahogs... sezuh, Dong and Brun fighting at the finish with the rest strung out far behind.quahog.thumb.jpg.185a7f1865b52c7570f8dcb808ebd90f.jpg

• Like 1

Good to see those in the basement have found the first steps on the escalator.

I just wish Scally had spent more time earlier on in this Edition closer to the fleet to learn how to get these boats up to max speed than playing routing silllybuggers thinking that was the secret. Their lucky in Leg 4 and following Akzo in Leg 6 on a flyer with a good result has done them no favours (I'm blocking Fish so no disrespect ) in this edition as what is required in this race. A lot of slow boats learnt heaps in Leg 4 which Scally won but Scally actually learnt nothing. In Leg 2 Scally and Dee could not be seperated. Out of Auckland boat on boat Dee was up with the leaders and has got better since, Scally wasn't even in the hunt.

It really is a pretty mind fucking platform everyone out there has to deal with. The fact these OD's (which many bag) can cater for some uphill work has meant the southern option became an option. If everyone was in IMOCA style boats it would be a conga line up north.

Makes decisions about the go forward for this race very complex.

Sorry rant over...this Scally vid triggered something upstairs.

• Like 2

Uploaded (may be some similarity with the Raws):
VNR 23 May, interview & action shots, Kyle Langford fixing the rudder, Brunel
VNR 23 May, interview Simon Fisher, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 23 May, interview in Spanish Xabi Fernández/Támara Echegoyen, Mapfre 
VNR 22 May, Live X, interview in Spanish, Xabi Fernández, Mapfre (lo res)
VNR 22 May, B-roll & interview, Brad Farrand, AkzoNobel
VNR 22 May, interview in French, Elodie-Jane Mettraux, Turn the Tide on Plastic 

8 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Well, I kind of miss waiting for the updates and the speculations between them. But I also love being able to check the tracker anytime. So I’m not complaining. I’m just glad I can actually SEE it, so I have a hobby until I can get back on the water again myself in a few weeks! Hopefully I won’t get seasick. Pretty much blind in my right eye, for good, so I hope I get used to it. 

Woah, not too good. Take care, hope, a miracle happens. And if not, I hope that you adapt well and that it's good for something.

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Leo someone told me they were thinking of having a Dutch match race in the Hague? It will be huge there. Last time with just a stop for a sandwich the highest Race Village daily numbers of any Stopover.

It was crazy, especially for a "pit-stop", and even during the night-time arrivals. During daytime it was almost impossible to walk there at your own pace, so crowded.

7 hours ago, LeoV said:

Yeah, you are correct, it is planned for Friday 29th June . And the king will be a guest onboard of one. Will be a busy day in port. Normal public, sailing enthusiast, corporate bosses and kingdom nutters.

Great. I'll arrive on 27th in the evening. So full action for the rest of the days there.

9 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Well, I kind of miss waiting for the updates and the speculations between them. But I also love being able to check the tracker anytime. So I’m not complaining. I’m just glad I can actually SEE it, so I have a hobby until I can get back on the water again myself in a few weeks! Hopefully I won’t get seasick. Pretty much blind in my right eye, for good, so I hope I get used to it. 

What?  What happened?  Sorry if I missed the story.

13 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Reminiscing about the days when the tracker wasn't "live".

VNR 23 May, interview, Charles Caudrelier/Pascal Bidégorry, Dongfeng
VNR 23 May, interview in Portuguese, Martine Grael, AkzoNobel 
VNR 22 May, drone shots Turn the Tide on Plastic/Mapfre

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, thengling said:

Reminiscing about the days when the tracker wasn't "live".

So she's not blind in one eye?

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

Uploaded (may be some similarity with the Raws):
VNR 23 May, interview & action shots, Kyle Langford fixing the rudder, Brunel
VNR 23 May, interview Simon Fisher, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 23 May, interview in Spanish Xabi Fernández/Támara Echegoyen, Mapfre 
VNR 22 May, Live X, interview in Spanish, Xabi Fernández, Mapfre (lo res)
VNR 22 May, B-roll & interview, Brad Farrand, AkzoNobel
VNR 22 May, interview in French, Elodie-Jane Mettraux, Turn the Tide on Plastic 

As always, thanks for finding the good bits of footage! Du bist der Hammer! (for VOR video ;) )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

I got mole cancer in the eye. Had surgery and radiation therapy to take care of that, so I’m all good now but with permanently poor vision in that eye. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Herman said:

Yep, not my favorite scenario either (still hoping that Bouwe and Capey can pull it off with the rough weather sailing), but boy what a race are we going to have in the coming days!

Is there real time data for currents considered in the routing?  I.e. check what happens to DFRT vs Brunel between 19:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC today May 23rd. (compare TWS vs  VMG , TWA vs COG)

My, how those worms can turn. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 8.13.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 8.07.53 AM.png

Not sure that worm is done turning yet.  The routing selections have not yet fully played out.

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

You used to do it using Expedition which is far more accurate, but my guess is your Demo time ran out.

So for example your prediction times above about unbelievable finish times is complete nonsence with the basic shit you are using. That is useless desktop delusion at best.

Thanks for another round of very fine feedback, Jack. I have always routed with OpenCPN, and have never worked with Expedition. Scroll through my twitter timeline if you don’t believe me. I do accept money if you want to sponsor me buying a license, much appreciated, or shut up. In the previous edition of the VOR and Vendée Globe I never heared you complain over the software I used or my routing/interpretation. Your words (now trashed due my not so imaginery ban it seems) after my final routing when Armel won the VG: “well done son”. So this second round of feedback of yours is not about tools or my routing, but something else. Something to do with your ego, perhaps?

• Like 6

Jack

Long time lurker and seldom poster, but what the fuck was that about?

Herman

Thanks for the insite in to the future and what may or may not happen, adds to the possibility to those who do not have routing software. Seems much more viable than some of the Volvo routing!

• Like 3

Jack

Herman

Thanks for the insite in to the future and what may or may not happen, adds to the possibility to those who do not have routing software. Seems much more viable than some of the Volvo routing!

Thread drift.

A glimpse of the RTW future. Fucking insane mono speeds these guys are hitting.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 8.22.13 AM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Thread drift.

A glimpse of the RTW future. Fucking insane mono speeds these guys are hitting.

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 8.22.13 AM.png

Yes, safran is barely touching the water at times. Crewed IMOCAs are going to send it.

• Like 1

Fcst a light spot when the next front passes the north boats in 12-15 hours.  Should see them come up with the lift before then so will converge with TB etc. soon after.  Amazing to see them meet back up after using that much ocean.

• Like 2

One can only assume the twins are visiting their mother and Jack is single handing.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Herman said:

Weather routing - continued

Note that in the new current version of the weather routing plugin the projected weather tracks for the boat have wind barbs now, and that the colour of the line indicates the sailing comfort;

Green = Light conditions
    Orange = Can be tough, stay focus
    Red = Strong conditions, heavy sailing, be prepared

The projected track of for instance Team Brunel shows 2 red parts for the same LP zone. The first time when it passes Newfoundland and the second time when it deepens and moves to Greenland and TBRU tries to stay hooked to the LP zone.

TBRU 1 compressed.jpg

TBRU 2 compressed..jpg

I've only used OpenCpn as a glorified AIS receiver, these images look interesting, I need to learn how to use the routing plugin.

For now the Southern boats have a much better angle towards the edge of the exclusion zone. As long as they all stay at the front of the low, I don't see that change much and my humble prediction is that the Northern pack will be at least 35 miles behind the southern pack by the time they are at the eastern end of the exclusion zone. 

But what do I know...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

For now the Southern boats have a much better angle towards the edge of the exclusion zone. As long as they all stay at the front of the low, I don't see that change much and my humble prediction is that the Northern pack will be at least 35 miles behind the southern pack by the time they are at the eastern end of the exclusion zone. 

But what do I know...

+1, those closing in on the EZ have fewer options.

1 hour ago, Cuffy said:

Jack

Herman

Not sure if Volvo does any routing ;) 

Anyway, as an above average keen sailor I have invested in PredictWind. Polars for the Volvo 65 are there. It  predicts (yes) lots of wind until Saturday. Slightly northern route. 

I don’t understand “those who do not have routing software”. You are obviously in possession of a device, and freeware exists. Nothing is stopping you :) 

49 minutes ago, paps49 said:

One can only assume the twins are visiting their mother and Jack is single handing.

And you're not talking sailing are you, Paps? ;)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Herman I preface what I say here by saying you do a grand job here educating people about weather and the concepts of routing.

The time you take doing that is to be applauded and many are greatful.

However stop and give yourself an uppercut.

You have never done this in real life and are using here a bit of open source routing shit that omits so many inputs it is not funny. You used to do it using Expedition which is far more accurate, but my guess is your Demo time ran out.

Maybe you work on the fuel of self gratification so that won't matter, no one will remember, but I made a hero statement?

I only say this Herman because this is actually a pretty serious room, unlike others where you peddle your thoughts.

My guess your response to this post is you pretend you have been banned and disappear like before because criticism is not in your dictionary or you modify and  hang in.

I hope you hang in and keep up the good work without the bullshit, there is enough of that and I probably sin more than most having a rather flippant demenour unlike yours.

Aww, Jack, that ^^^wasn't really necessary. Or called for. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

3 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Aww, Jack, that ^^^wasn't really necessary. Or called for. 

Jack is showing himself as being the forum dickhead these days. Random can afford to take a holiday.

23 minutes ago, Admirals said:

01:00 schedule is going to hear a lot of  'merde'. South western boats are going to gain another 60 miles in the next 12 hours-

Looks like the S boats nailed it.

7 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

VNR 23 May, interview, Charles Caudrelier/Pascal Bidégorry, Dongfeng
VNR 23 May, interview in Portuguese, Martine Grael, AkzoNobel 
VNR 22 May, drone shots Turn the Tide on Plastic/Mapfre

Charles and Pascal look and sound considerably happier than they were about 18 hours ago....They as well as Bouwe and Xabi acknowledge there are still changes in the future, the complicity of the situation, and that there is still a long way to go. 

15 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Charles and Pascal look and sound considerably happier than they were about 18 hours ago....They as well as Bouwe and Xabi acknowledge there are still changes in the future, the complicity of the situation, and that there is still a long way to go. 

Ask them again in 10 minutes from now.........

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

You need to put your glasses on.

It actually said: "You, Jackyboy, are so far up your own arsehole you'll be emerging from your own mouth anytime now"

Inappropriate Statues: H.U.T.A. Portrays Stupidity with ...

Here's a link that might be useful: http://a.co/7bSaBu4 

Did the southern boats actually pick up the gulf stream? I was trying to pull that up on some charts but failed...

6 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

I got mole cancer in the eye. Had surgery and radiation therapy to take care of that, so I’m all good now but with permanently poor vision in that eye. 

I’m so sorry to hear that.  

You’d probably look pretty good with an eye patch though.  Kind of like Daryl Hannah’s character Elle Driver in Kill Bill Vol  2.

32A859CA-E988-46DB-8D6F-635BB9A9083D.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

That sucks.  Hoping that recovery is much better than predicted.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Did the southern boats actually pick up the gulf stream? I was trying to pull that up on some charts but failed...

Pretty sure it was the Northern mob looking for a lift from the Gulf Stream, Sam.

Ouch, the  Northerners  are getting creamed ATM. Scally looking good to regain 4th spot.

15 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Ouch, the  Northerners  are getting creamed ATM. Scally looking good to regain 4th spot.

Love the Live-all-the-time tracker, despite the impact on the rest of my life. Explaining to people that I am following a real sailboat race by watching a software program that doesn't really move and the boats doesn't look much like sailboats except in 3D, is another thing...

• Like 2

TToP has gained a little leverage to the South, and Scally is trucking...  I'm starting to wonder if I might wake up tomorrow morning with Brunel in 1 and Dong/Mapfre in 6-7.

Time to fasten seatbelts, rough 24 hours coming up. Amazingly it looks like the fleet will be quite close together once they clear the corner of the ice-zone. Southernboats have sailed about 300 miles more and currently look advantaged. But the difference is small for a 200 mile North-South split.

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

Jack is showing himself as being the forum dickhead these days. Random can afford to take a holiday.

Maybe that's a wee bit harsh, Hoppy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zander said:

Time to fasten seatbelts, rough 24 hours coming up. Amazingly it looks like the fleet will be quite close together once they clear the corner of the ice-zone. Southernboats have sailed about 300 miles more and currently look advantaged. But the difference is small for a 200 mile North-South split.

Not sure about that. I now think that a distance of 80 miles between Brunel and Dongfeng at the corner of the exclusion zone is not unlikely. Over the last 10(?) hours Brunel got 35 miles on them. 

And... hate to say it but the northern boats are going to be in the worst part of the gale, sailing a less than optimal angle in terms of keeping everything in one piece. Not to mention that it will be f-ing cold!

Love the Live-all-the-time tracker, despite the impact on the rest of my life. Explaining to people that I am following a real sailboat race by watching a software program that doesn't really move and the boats doesn't look much like sailboats except in 3D, is another thing...

It's when they stare back at you with a blank face and a response of, "Oh. Right" - that you know they have no fucking idea why you'd even want to bother, that gets me. I've been married to the same incredible woman for 45 years (last week) and she still doesn't get sailing. Not that I've ever bothered to educate her. Example: That's a lovely looking 36'ter dear. "Does it have a motor?" Well... yes....but...Oh never mind.

• Like 5

Just a random off-the-cuff thought of support for, NORBowGirl:

Lord Nelson was blinded in one eye, early on in his illustrious naval career. On that basis alone, the best is yet to come. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Herman said:

Thanks for another round of very fine feedback, Jack. 

Apologies Herman (and anyone I may have offended)...no excuse but a very weird and bad day... we all have them. Was topped off by the leg humping Hoppy is giving me down the hallway. Luckily he always goes for the wooden one. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

..  I'm starting to wonder if I might wake up tomorrow morning with Brunel in 1 and Dong/Mapfre in 6-7.

If you are a light sleeper it is #1 and 4 & 6 already.

That said the north/left side has more pressure and for longer up ahead but a case of using it before those on the right hit the right line.

Watching them all stay ahead of the front when it starts moving east like a bulldozer will be pretty interesting to watch. Not a time to be a straggler.

3 hours ago, southerncross said:

Daryl Hannah’s character Elle Driver

Things did not go down well for Deadly Viper Assassination Squad member Elle Driver known by her code-name California Mountain Snake. The sequence of events were:

Pai Mei the old martial arts instructer plucks Elle's right eye out at training camp after she insults him.

Elle pretty shitty kills Pai Mei.

Wind forward years.

Beatrix Kiddo (Uma Thurman) crosses swords with Elle Driver.

Bea plucks Elle's remaining eye out using the legendary Pai Mei Eye Pluck.

Elle drops Bea's sword and flails around screaming her guts out.

Bea then steps on the eye, it oozing between her toes.

Bea walks out, and we see Elle's Black Mamba slithering nearby.

Elle yells "Oh Shit" and goes quiet, as Bea closes the door.

Was Elle was bitten to death by her own snake or did she live but minus two eyes?

I think Norbow leads a much quieter and refined existence, but keep an eye out for her carrying a bag of snakes just to be safe.

• Like 2

One of them could have stuck to the rhumb line straight out of Newport and probably been in the thick of the fleet now!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

It's when they stare back at you with a blank face and a response of, "Oh. Right" - that you know they have no fucking idea why you'd even want to bother, that gets me. I've been married to the same incredible woman for 45 years (last week) and she still doesn't get sailing. Not that I've ever bothered to educate her. Example: That's a lovely looking 36'ter dear. "Does it have a motor?" Well... yes....but...Oh never mind.

A couple of hours ago I celebrated the end of the Washington (DC) Capitals' National Hockey League team's two decades long draught from getting to the Stanley Cup playoffs, the most jinx-laden sporting event I share with some of my family members who live respectively in different parts of the US and in a remote village in Madagascar. We have not been texting  or otherwise communicating throughout - or even between- the games, as I explained previously upthread, because of the jinx issue, except for very careful chosen cryptic words. But at least we can actually watch real live players skating on the ice, as opposed to the Live Tracker.  The team cap, t-shirt, etc I own remain buried in my back yard. My brother and his wife and their grown children (who are not living at home) wear the team t-shirts and jerseys ("sweaters") while watching the games; however when together they all don't watch the game in the same room as some are too intense. I've been at their home for division playoff games in past years, and it's pretty weird. Growing up watching football, everyone yelled. However, with this group, just before one game started, there was a power outage. Without missing a beat, my brother called a family friend who lives about 10 blocks away to see if they had power, and if they did could we (there were 6 of us plus a dog) come over and watch the game on their TV set? They did and we did. They were eating dinner. No one spoke. Their friends made us popcorn. At the end of the period we learned the power at my brother's house went back on, so we drove back home. The Caps lost, the TV was immediately turned off and everyone went to bed. No one spoke. Tonight, the multi-multi-multi-cell phone conference call amidst four US states from one remote country on the other side of the world, with one another, was hilarious. Lots of shouting. But we were at the same time very careful what we said, because we are all wary of the jinx. And there are potentially 7 more games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Maybe that's a wee bit harsh, Hoppy.

harsh would be Random 2

Akzo have subsequently pushed Vestas out the back so what ever they are doing it is working. They really need to get over Yellow now with a shot at the bonus points to climb up beside Yellow on the Table and to stay in the podium hunt.

If not it will be sayonara unfortunately for the Kaleidoscope Kids.

2 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

The southern boats seem to have done the right choice....

For now....

• Like 2

A couple of hours ago I celebrated the end of the Washington (DC) Capitals' National Hockey League team's two decades long draught from getting to the Stanley Cup playoffs, the most jinx-laden sporting event I share with some of my family members who live respectively in different parts of the US and in a remote village in Madagascar. We have not been texting  or otherwise communicating throughout - or even between- the games, as I explained previously upthread, because of the jinx issue, except for very careful chosen cryptic words. But at least we can actually watch real live players skating on the ice, as opposed to the Live Tracker.  The team cap, t-shirt, etc I own remain buried in my back yard. My brother and his wife and their grown children (who are not living at home) wear the team t-shirts and jerseys ("sweaters") while watching the games; however when together they all don't watch the game in the same room as some are too intense. I've been at their home for division playoff games in past years, and it's pretty weird. Growing up watching football, everyone yelled. However, with this group, just before one game started, there was a power outage. Without missing a beat, my brother called a family friend who lives about 10 blocks away to see if they had power, and if they did could we (there were 6 of us plus a dog) come over and watch the game on their TV set? They did and we did. They were eating dinner. No one spoke. Their friends made us popcorn. At the end of the period we learned the power at my brother's house went back on, so we drove back home. The Caps lost, the TV was immediately turned off and everyone went to bed. No one spoke. Tonight, the multi-multi-multi-cell phone conference call amidst four US states from one remote country on the other side of the world, with one another, was hilarious. Lots of shouting. But we were at the same time very careful what we said, because we are all wary of the jinx. And there are potentially 7 more games. 

Good story, DA. Our son and his family live in North Queensland, Aus. When the All Black play the Wallabies their house is divided. Our son wearing an All Black jersey and his wife, a Wallaby jersey. They take up opposing positions on either end of the big couch - and then it's all on. When we visit and a game is on, our daughter-in-law does not venture out of her bedroom. She understands one-eyed, group dynamics! :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terrorvision said:

One of them could have stuck to the rhumb line straight out of Newport and probably been in the thick of the fleet now!

:) Think of the extra miles they'd have saved too, TV.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Good story, DA. Our son and his family live in North Queensland, Aus. When the All Black play the Wallabies their house is divided. Our son wearing an All Black jersey and his wife, a Wallaby jersey. They take up opposing positions on either end of the big couch - and then it's all on. When we visit and a game is on, our daughter-in-law does not venture out of her bedroom. She understands one-eyed, group dynamics! :)

That could be one explanation SBD. ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Admirals said:

Is there real time data for currents considered in the routing?  I.e. check what happens to DFRT vs Brunel between 19:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC today May 23rd. (compare TWS vs  VMG , TWA vs COG)

I use the FNMOC WW3 global wave model, 7 days at 1 x 1 degree resolution. That gives a fair idea of the general sea state via significant wave height and whitecap probability. The Gulf Stream is modeled in the NOAA RTOFS model at 0,5 x 0,5 degree resolution, for +24, +48 and +72 hours ahead. Available via http://www.saildocs.com/info. To give an idea, in the 2 screenshots are the 0730 UTC boat positions and the RTOFS GRIB for 24-5-18 00 UTC. The gulf Stream is in green. Only TSHK/SW seems to have a final push of 2 knots NE, if modeled accurately, the rest has < 1 knot against or with them. You can't route on this as the model is not granular enough in timesteps; once per 24 hours. On board you would notice that you have hit or left the GS as the sea temperature changes and you note the impact on the boat speed. 

GS detail - compressed.jpg

Gulf Stream big picture compressed.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Apologies Herman (and anyone I may have offended)...no excuse but a very weird and bad day... we all have them. Was topped off by the leg humping Hoppy is giving me down the hallway. Luckily he always goes for the wooden one. 

Accepted + moving on to the race.