southerncross

VOR Leg 9 Newport to Cardiff

23 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Going to Southport I believe....

Lots of work going on ... rig out... power winches... Should be good

Thanks Pilly. That is great to hear, was worried it might just be a December boat. Powered gear makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks Pilly. That is great to hear, was worried it might just be a December boat. Powered gear makes a lot of sense.

X2 on the powered gear . 

2 hours ago, southerncross said:
Can Martine beat her Dad?
2008 "Ericsson 4" 70ft, Torben Grael BRA, 596.6nm, 24.85kt

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

That is one bridge too far but very good association SX.

Might have to rethink that they just stepped up again, albeit speeds have dropped.

Here is another association for you. Salter was on Ericsson 4.

15 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Might have to rethink that they just stepped up again, albeit speeds have dropped.

Here is another association for you. Salter was on Ericsson 4.

That’s nuts.

I have mentioned up thread about the introduction of those from an AC environment where there is a lot of effort for small gains. Maybe how things are panning out here, particularly the big improver Brunel, indicates there may be something in that.

If they and maybe lesser extent Akzo were not such late starters getting on the water and Akzo didn't have the pre-race drama,  the Leaderboard might look very Dutch up top.

AMERICA’S CUP WINNERS

Crew & Team Members

BRUNEL

Peter Burling

Kyle Langford

Rome Kirby

Sam Newton

Carlo Huisman

AKZO

Simeon Tienpont

Peter van Niekerk

MAPFRE

Joan Vila

Blair Tuke

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

The Dutch boats had a match race in Newport apparently.  I wonder who won?

Didnt know that but would be The Newport Chamber of Commerce. They have one planned for the Hague.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Exactly ..and envious.. to get Sails number up I would have to have married 30 years before they were born. I don't think that is possible even with technology advancement these days.

Are well.... they say it's the first 45 years that are the toughest, Jack. It'll be a cake walk from here. ;)

• Like 3

Vestas wind speed instruments have been wacky much of the day, showing 10+knots faster than the rest of the fleet much of the time.

- or they've had their own private breeze much of the day and not taken advantage of it.

52 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

588.1 miles in 24 hours. Could they catch Comanche's record of 618 miles..? LOL

Some folks were doubting what I said earlier in the day about near Gale/Gale conditions. Not a lot of monohulls can be driven harder in rough condition. 

They're slow on light and medium air. But a bus can ride those conditions all day. 

11 minutes ago, boomer said:

Vestas wind speed instruments have been wacky much of the day, showing 10+knots faster than the rest of the fleet much of the time.

- or they've had their own private breeze much of the day and not taken advantage of it.

They just slowed down to mid teens for something but now going again. The constant high TWS might also be they are driving it differently and their speed through the water is reading lower hence TWS goes up disproportionately. 

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

Some folks were doubting what I said earlier in the day about near Gale/Gale conditions. Not a lot of monohulls can be driven harder in rough condition. 

They're slow on light and medium air. But a bus can ride those conditions all day. 

I think is also helps to have a good sea state to minimize submarine action... according to one of the videos. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sousou said:

I think is also helps to have a good sea state to minimize submarine action... according to one of the videos. 

Plus uno.  Perfect conditions. Loads on the rigs aren’t there as when diving into and hitting a SO swell and cross seas. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sousou said:

Yep. But IMOCAS won't be there at all. 

Ppl like to think of boats in rigid terms. But like cars, diff strengths and compromise. 

The other fast monohull records look for conditions that suits them. None of which are in 30 knot sustained with gusts to 40+. 

26 minutes ago, boomer said:

Yes Boomer some wacky numbers even now. TWS +40 TWA 152deg.

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

588.1 miles in 24 hours. Could they catch Comanche's record of 618 miles..? LOL

23 minutes ago, Miffy said:

That may well be Miff but anyone who said prior to leaving Newport a boat would just fall shy of Ericsons pre Comanche world 24hr record would have been laughed out of town.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The other fast monohull records look for conditions that suits them. None of which are in 30 knot sustained with gusts to 40+. 

Exactly the conditions Comanche had and in worse sea state. Also had it sustained hence breaking the West East Record by a country mile. I would rather be on these things than Ericsson though waiting for the bow to fall off.

27 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

They just slowed down to mid teens for something but now going again. The constant high TWS might also be they are driving it differently and their speed through the water is reading lower hence TWS goes up disproportionately. 

Most all the day long the past 16 hours - no way - there's a glitch somewhere.

6 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Yes Boomer some wacky numbers even now. TWS +40 TWA 152deg.

Yup Paps - Been like that for the most part the last 16 hours.

Alex Thompson has the single handed on 2017 Boss @ 536 Miles.

Will a crew make that much of a difference?

Discuss.

7 hours ago, Potter said:

Not sure why Simeon deserves a speed record. He is literally just the figurehead. 

Nicho and Nicolai are ribbing the show... and a bloody good job they are doing. 

I typed “need” and not “deserved” as in nice for marketing purposes, brand exposure, building a name etc etc. and was not suggesting that Tienpont should get all the credits. Indeed a bloody good job by the crew of AKZO. And of TBRU for that matter.

So by looks of it, everything cloggy goes high and rest goes low, fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Since Akzo passed Yellow around 13 hours ago the Painters have squeezed out overnight another 8nm on Yellow,  30nm on Vestas and 20nm on the Dong. In this fleet those are pretty impressive numbers for a drag race.

Whatever they put in the freeze dried I hope there is another box of it.

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

Will a crew make that much of a difference?

Nah they just take up space and blow out the wet weather gear budget. There are all playing cards now I reakon.

Both red boats eyeing their first targets Vestas and TTOP...

Herman any chance you’re running that washing machine of yours again soon? :) 

On the happy marriage advice, I can only say it has a lot to do with illusions about who really is in charge; being able to cook a damn good casserole and steak; some nice energy for after hours; allowing for some hobbies to spin out of control.... and so forth and so further. I take courage from what SBD said that after 45 years it will be a cake walk :D

12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Since Akzo passed Yellow around 13 hours ago the Painters have squeezed out overnight another 8nm on Yellow,  30nm on Vestas and 20nm on the Dong. In this fleet those are pretty impressive numbers for a drag race.

Me thinks Bouwe is saving the boat, if you want to win you first need to finish. 

That said, numbers are very impressive and it looks truly awesome. 

18 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Both red boats eyeing their first targets Vestas and TTOP...

Herman any chance you’re running that washing machine of yours again soon? :) 

On the happy marriage advice, I can only say it has a lot to do with illusions about who really is in charge; being able to cook a damn good casserole and steak; some nice energy for after hours; allowing for some hobbies to spin out of control.... and so forth and so further. I take courage from what SBD said that after 45 years it will be a cake walk :D

Oh, I know who is in charge, and it certainly isn’t me!

love that horse head film from Brunel by the way.

I think Brunel is happy were they are, and Akzo is converging.
Nice gull wing ahead in a day. Straightish dragrace till then.

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

Me thinks Bouwe is saving the boat, if you want to win you first need to finish.

No one is having to do that ..if you feel safe you sail fast. They will all be on J0's and triple headers.

They do look like they are having fun, surprisingly.

I too wonder whats in those bags....

And who is this Squid bloke ?

How can he possibly know Scally and the Plastics are going to cross the entire fleet, pick up Mapfre along the way and go North for Christs sake?

plotter..JPG

Charlie's sphincter is tightening..the Dong has crawled up another 5nm closer to his underware in the last two hours. The Dong and Yellow are the only ones just staying with the Kaleidoscope Kids.

Thread drift.

Was having a look at Simeon's profile and saw this....

Who he is: One of the Netherlands' highest profile sailors, Simeon has twice won the America's Cup and first participated in the Volvo Ocean Race in 2005-06 onboard the Dutch boat ABN AMRO TWO. He became hooked on the Volvo Ocean Race at an early age after watching his hero, Dennis Conner, in the Whitbread Round the World Race in 1993-94

It got me thinking. Can you imagine Dennis on one of these?

1 minute ago, paps49 said:

Thread drift.

Was having a look at Simeon's profile and saw this....

Who he is: One of the Netherlands' highest profile sailors, Simeon has twice won the America's Cup and first participated in the Volvo Ocean Race in 2005-06 onboard the Dutch boat ABN AMRO TWO. He became hooked on the Volvo Ocean Race at an early age after watching his hero, Dennis Conner, in the Whitbread Round the World Race in 1993-94

It got me thinking. Can you imagine Dennis on one of these?

It wasn’t a pretty sight on the W60. 

• Like 1

When Nico said, "We must win this one", he really meant it. The paint pot is on fire.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Charlie's sphincter is tightening..the Dong has crawled up another 5nm closer to his underware in the last two hours. The Dong and Yellow are the only ones just staying with the Kaleidoscope Kids.

Yes the Spaniards are sniffing at Dee's lingery as well.

ace ExpertsGeverifieerd account @RaceExperts 12 min.12 minuten geleden  @volvooceanrace 24-hour Distance record! (PROVISIONAL) @teamAkzoNobel have surpassed the previous record of 596.6 Nm set by Ericcson 4 in 2008. They have sailed 597.03 Nm which could still increase!

yep, flying Dutchman indeed.... Is one knot not the minimal delta for a record ?

24,87625 knots average speed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

And who is this Squid bloke ?

How can he possibly know Scally and the Plastics are going to cross the entire fleet, pick up Mapfre along the way and go North for Christs sake?

plotter..JPG

The Squid bloke is doing his best, but fortunately for him he lies down on a pillow at night with Barry White doing the romancing for him.

There are 7 Nav's out there gnashing their teeth trying to find the only door marked, "1st In First Out" and not ones all marked "1st In & Wallow".

Then after some layline pencil madness they then have the Tidal Dance of Death to deal with. Once tied up they won't have any teeth left while Mr Squid brushes his with a contented smile on his face.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Yes the Spaniards are sniffing at Dee's lingery as well.

And I'm in so deep 
You know I'm such a fool for you 
You've got me wrapped around your finger 
Do have to let it linger?

Linger (y) :D

Sorry Paps. Couldn't help taking the Michael.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeoV said:

ace ExpertsGeverifieerd account @RaceExperts 12 min.12 minuten geleden  @volvooceanrace 24-hour Distance record! (PROVISIONAL) @teamAkzoNobel have surpassed the previous record of 596.6 Nm set by Ericcson 4 in 2008. They have sailed 597.03 Nm which could still increase!

yep, flying Dutchman indeed.... Is one knot not the minimal delta for a record ?

Bloody hell, Comanche next!!

• Like 1

Squid is taking into account the special settings needed for Scallywag, the flyer setting.

Squid projection on VOR tracker more trustworthy in this case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

FUCK...and some time still left in the tank to better it.

Ha. Those V070's are so last year!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

And I'm in so deep 
You know I'm such a fool for you 
You've got me wrapped around your finger 
Do have to let it linger?

Linger (y) :D

Sorry Paps. Couldn't help taking the Michael.

Ling bloody Gerry  SBD!!

Oh sorry mate, after 40 years you probably don't remember!!! :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Ling bloody Gerry  SBD!!

Oh sorry mate, after 40 years you probably don't remember!!! :)

Well Paps, I admit it is hard to find the PERFECT woman. I like Jack's chances with the twins though.

• Like 1

highest VMC 28.8 knots spotted a while ago for Akzo... SOG 29.8knts. 14;57 5-24

Damn effective.

Anyone spotted higher VMC ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Well Paps, I admit it is hard to find the PERFECT woman. I like Jack's chances with the twins though.

Depends how long they stay at their mothers.  ;-)

1 minute ago, paps49 said:

Am I correct to assume they can snip any 24 hr period they choose?

Yes, correct.

43 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Ha. Those V070's are so last year!!!

Sail down the hallway I started a thread during the Newport stopover to talk about the future of the race with Volvo wanting to find the door marked Exit. Some great contributers there and some of the usual suspects drinking at this bar.

Anyway as you can imagine that thread  has naturaly invited opinions thick and thin on OD/65 versus Box Rule/70. 

Following this extraordinary  development and while tempted to use the Quote button, I have refrained, as I have found God after my Herman  Head Explosion upthread. So I simply said a Baker is now needed to be found to make a large order of Crow Pies :-) 

Anyone is welcome to join in, I'm shouting the bar there for the next 24 hours on account of this most remarkable thing being achieved in what many regard as a shit box, including me at times.