George Dewey

Keel trailing edge bevel

My new (to me) 2004 Ben First 36.7 is briefly hauled and I see that there is no bevel on the trailing edge of the keel. The class rules allow up to a 30 degree bevel. Is it worth the effort to add it? I do plan to race the boat. My understanding, which may be wrong, is that the purpose would be to reduce the vortex and therefore drag off the keel. 

If your trailing edge is very thin, 1-2mm, then leave it. Or improve it..

If it's bulky, put a bevel on.

I would put in the hours and make sure the t.edge(s) is symmetrical and as thin as possible.

Couple of thoughts on this, although both arrive at similar conclusions.  First one is from PYD, second is from S Thompson:  Bimmers input is similar to Thompson's.

Basically for width >2mm, go with a radiused bevel.

principlesofyachtdesign6.35.jpg

keel-rudder.gif

On 5/8/2018 at 4:29 PM, Itsabimmerthing said:

If your trailing edge is very thin, 1-2mm, then leave it. Or improve it..

If it's bulky, put a bevel on.

I would put in the hours and make sure the t.edge(s) is symmetrical and as thin as possible.

That is only true with some modification..  The boat is a cruiser/racer and will definitely not plane under normal circumstances and thus the nit-picky detail of what peeps do to planing sportboats and foiling craft does only to a very limited extent apply to the boat in question

Spending a lot of effort to get to a 1mil thin trailing edge is way overkill and may also be against class rules.  Symmetrical is usually a poor choice as the keel can develop carman vortices resulting in keel hum (and the associated drag) - which is why you see in some of the drawings posted in the thread are purposefully assymetric - this is to avoid "keel hum" and the drag that comes with it.

For a 36.7 it would probably make sense to get to about a 3mm thick trailing edge and bevel it 30 degrees.  Just remember - the thinner the edge - the more fragile it becomes and more of a PITA to repair

We changed our trailing edge from symmetrical to asymmetrical and stopped all humming at speed. I don't know whether Karman vortices have a measurable effect on boat speed, but they can generate nasty resonances and annoyingly loud humming that really can't be good for structural integrity long term.

Another thing to consider is what happens if you wrap a rope rode around the keel. A sharp edge can cut right through, I've seen it done.

Oh no, you can totally hear keels hum. I sail in classes that don't allow weirdness at the trailing edge and every boat hums at some speed or another.

Oh yeah I saw that rule, I just didn't know if it was worth the effort. As it turns out, I'm just out of time. The boat launches on the 17th and I am all booked up with projects until then. I'm considering doing a complete bottom job next season, so this can wait for that. This is my first season with this boat, so it won't be a lack of keel bevel that costs me races! 

3 hours ago, fucket said:

Oh no, you can totally hear keels hum. I sail in classes that don't allow weirdness at the trailing edge and every boat hums at some speed or another.

How fast would I have to be going to hear the hum?

32 minutes ago, jarcher said:

How fast would I have to be going to hear the hum?

I don't think I've ever heard a boat hum under 9 knots or so, but I've been told it happens. On J-105's, every boat I've sailed on will hum with 10+ knots.

2 hours ago, fucket said:

I don't think I've ever heard a boat hum under 9 knots or so, but I've been told it happens. On J-105's, every boat I've sailed on will hum with 10+ knots.

Well then, my goal is to get my keel humming!

Yeah, my goal is to get a hummer too.