xbtaylor

Broken CF Mast - Who can fix it?

I live in Texas and am having very little luck finding anyone to fix a broken CF mast.  Anyone have any suggestions?  

The boat is a Viper 830.  The mast is broken below the forestay (fractional rig) and above the top spreader (double spreader rig) - about 10 feet from the top of the mast.   It bent about 20 degrees sideways and snapped all the fibers on one side of the mast.  Both ends look like this:

mast1.jpg

Its definitely going to be heavier and probably have different bend. Make an inside carbon sleeve and outside patch, get somebody who has done 1 before.

If you can get the rig to Florida, 2 out of 3 of the top carbon mast repair folks on the East Coast are in the Tampa/Sarasota area and will be able to get that mast back together and as close to new in performance as possible.

On 11 May 2018 at 3:52 AM, xbtaylor said:

The boat is a Viper 830.  The mast is broken below the forestay (fractional rig) and above the top spreader (double spreader rig) - about 10 feet from the top of the mast.   It bent about 20 degrees sideways and snapped all the fibers on one side of the mast.  Both ends look like this:

mast1.jpg

Was the mast manufactured in two pieces and then joined?

10 hours ago, samc99us said:

If you can get the rig to Florida, 2 out of 3 of the top carbon mast repair folks on the East Coast are in the Tampa/Sarasota area and will be able to get that mast back together and as close to new in performance as possible.

Do you have any names?  I am open to any location that os less than 1500 miles from here. 

If you were up in new england, I'd get you in contact with Jeff Kent and the Moore Brothers. Jeff sleeved a very, very broken Hendo 30 mast and it turned out great. He's sold the business but he's still consulting and would give you a fair assessment.

21 hours ago, ryley said:

If you were up in new england, I'd get you in contact with Jeff Kent and the Moore Brothers. Jeff sleeved a very, very broken Hendo 30 mast and it turned out great. He's sold the business but he's still consulting and would give you a fair assessment.

This is the answer

On 5/11/2018 at 7:50 PM, xbtaylor said:

Do you have any names?  I am open to any location that os less than 1500 miles from here. 

Tony Arends and OH Rogers in the Tampa Area can both repair that section back to near new condition.

• Like 1

Tony Ahrends has recently moved to California. OH Rodgers is a marine architect with shop NE of Tampa (Thalonotassa) and available on line.  The trick is to find a F-18 or A-cat sailor trailoring past Tampa Florida, and get the CF mast there that way for some gas money. Maybe even both ways. I have repaired 6 successfully and OH has repaired a goodly number with excellent results. 

Thats an Incredibly clean break . Will certainly make it a far easier job for the repairer .

7 minutes ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

+1 on Moore Brothers.

HW

I was thinking more about jeff.