Sign in to follow this  
TMSAIL

Korea. Step one 3 hostages released

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/pompeo-north-korea-can-haverichly-deserved-opportunities-in-return-for-peace/2018/05/09/b51febfa-51a4-11e8-b00a-17f9fda3859b_story.html?utm_term=.4741dcbf5b63

PYONGYANG, North Korea — Three American men who had been imprisoned by North Korea are on their way to the United States, President Trump announced Wednesday after they were released to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during his visit to Pyongyang.

I know Trump had nothing to do with this.  LOL. 

Jiblets will be along shortly to start feverishly spinning.

Edit: I do wonder what the alleged payment to SK had to do with it, if anything. 

Just did a little digging, looks like they were all arrested for proselytizing, which is a serious no-no in NoKo.

But on his last visit, he was accused of spying for South Korea’s intelligence agencies, seeking to obtain details of the North’s military programs and trying to spread “religious” ideas — a serious crime in the North. He was sentenced in April 2016 to 10 years in prison after a sham trial.

Then, a year ago, two men associated with the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology, or PUST, a private institution run by Korean American Christians, were detained. 

This is good.

I hereby publicly apologize for that time in 2016 when I called Trump a fascist asshole.

I gotta ask though - WTF were those guys doing in NORK in the first place?

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

This is good.

I hereby publicly apologize for that time I called Trump a fascist asshole.

I gotta ask though - WTF were those guys doing in NORK in the first place?

Spreading the myths of Jesus. And no, not Jesus the gardener.

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Spreading the myths of Jesus. And no, not Jesus the gardener.

Spreading the myths in prison, where they take root and grow. Most likely the easiest way to solve the problem is get them outta there. Less messy than clubbing them to death.

Those three prisoners are the least inexpensive bargaining chips ever. It's like L'il Kim could just write "$1,000" on a piece of paper and throw it in the pot, and not have to back it up with cash. Seriously, as quick as he wants, NoK can just detain a few more Americans. Gotta give this guy credit, he's got nice moves.

Trump, OTOH, has already shown what he wants to do... namely get US servicemen off the Korean peninsula. And since Korea, japan and China know Trump cannot be trusted to stick by a deal, there is a low probability of American promises or non-concrete actions being acceptable in return.

• Like 1

I’m thinking the Nobel Prize committee are in a quandary over having to shake trumps hand next year if this whole peace thing comes off and they end the Korean War where every other POTUS has failed in the last 60 years. We have a long way to go and I’m not handing him the prize yet. But IF he pulls it off, the haterz are going to come unglued. Myself included since I’m a mild hater myself. 

16 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Those three prisoners are the least inexpensive bargaining chips ever. It's like L'il Kim could just write "$1,000" on a piece of paper and throw it in the pot, and not have to back it up with cash. Seriously, as quick as he wants, NoK can just detain a few more Americans. Gotta give this guy credit, he's got nice moves.

Trump, OTOH, has already shown what he wants to do... namely get US servicemen off the Korean peninsula. And since Korea, japan and China know Trump cannot be trusted to stick by a deal, there is a low probability of American promises or non-concrete actions being acceptable in return.

And you call others traitors  You just can’t stand it that Trump is having success with NK.  Not one word in your post showing pleasure that 3 Americans are free and coming home.   They are not bargaining chips they are AMERICANS.  

12 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

And you call others traitors  You just can’t stand it that Trump is having success with NK.  Not one word in your post showing pleasure that 3 Americans are free and coming home.   They are not bargaining chips they are AMERICANS.  

I find it a little hard to feel sorry for folks who go into other countries, break their laws and are jailed.

Is it good they are coming home? for them and their families, of course. But they still broke another countries laws.

I wonder what you thought about the graffiti kid in Singapore who was lashed?

14 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

They went into a country with the intention of breaking its laws based on their personal beliefs.  They were not going as "Americans", they just happen to be citizens of the United States who went proselytizing. Just like those idiot kid basketball players who went shop-lifting in China, they intentionally broke clearly stated laws.  Purely lucky to be momentary pawns in a political shuffleboard contest.  

So no, I for one take no "pleasure" in the fact that they got released as "AMERICANS".  

32 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I’m thinking the Nobel Prize committee are in a quandary over having to shake trumps hand next year if this whole peace thing comes off and they end the Korean War where every other POTUS has failed in the last 60 years. We have a long way to go and I’m not handing him the prize yet. But IF he pulls it off, the haterz are going to come unglued. Myself included since I’m a mild hater myself. 

The Nobel Committee would dissolve than give Trump a Nobel Peace Prize. They already fucked up with Obama, and they aren't about to do it twice. Besides, Trump is a warmonger. He dropped that monster bomb in Afghanistan, fired cruise missiles into Syria twice, threatened North Korea with total annihilation, parked the fleet off South Korea, wants to build a wall, and wants the military to patrol it, threatened Venezuela with military action, all in his first year. Get used to congratulations if Trump succeeds with Korea, but don't expect a Nobel Peace Prize, they do not award them to warmongers.

Just now, Sol Rosenberg said:

Awesome accomplishment. Diplomacy is good. 

Sometimes. 

you can say that again.

TMSail, why would you call these gents hostages?

Why not?  Lots of headlines calling them hostages,  MSM is referring to them as hostages.  (Just heard it on CNN as I’m typing.). What’s the big deal?  Detainees?  If you support North Korea I guess you can call them prisoners. 

9 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Why not?  Lots of headlines calling them hostages,  MSM is referring to them as hostages.  (Just heard it on CNN as I’m typing.). What’s the big deal?  Detainees?  If you support North Korea I guess you can call them prisoners. 

So - let's say some mexicans come over the boarder and break some laws, end up in jail. Are they hostages?

And I thought you were skeptical of the language the "MSM" uses?

16 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

So - let's say some mexicans come over the boarder and break some laws, end up in jail. Are they hostages?

And I thought you were skeptical of the language the "MSM" uses?

I’m celebrating their release and you want to nit pick the word Hostage.  Better watch out MSNBC is running a banner on the “hostages” release.   Oh my Chris Mathews just called them hostages  

44 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Click bait word.  Sells more detergent.  

5 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Click bait word.  Sells more detergent.  

Actual Headlines from the links provided.  nice try though  

US Hostages In North Korea May Be Released Soon, Activist Reveals

NEWS AND POLITICS

North Korea Released 3 U.S. Hostages

May 05, 2018 - 05:15 PM EDT

Giuliani: 'Good chance' North Korea will release 3 US hostages

BREAKING: American Hostages Held in North Korea are Officially on Their Way Home 
Katie Pavlich  | May 09, 2018

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I find it a little hard to feel sorry for folks who go into other countries, break their laws and are jailed.

Is it good they are coming home? for them and their families, of course. But they still broke another countries laws.

This is where I'm coming from at the moment. They weren't "hostages". They were criminals who were jailed for breaking the law. A law they knew going into the country and intended to break.

Is it good they're getting to go home? Undeniably.

Is it a huge win for the US? Not really, they weren't going into this for the hostages, there is no value in NK keeping them, and NK saves money with no loss for giving them back.

Were they hostages? No, they were criminals that were arrested and jailed for committing crimes. The word "hostage" is being used to make a bigger deal out of this than it is.

1 minute ago, TMSAIL said:

Actual Headlines from the links provided.  nice try though  

NEWS AND POLITICS

North Korea Released 3 U.S. Hostages

May 05, 2018 - 05:15 PM EDT

Giuliani: 'Good chance' North Korea will release 3 US hostages

BREAKING: American Hostages Held in North Korea are Officially on Their Way Home 
Katie Pavlich  | May 09, 2018

Your little bit of snarkish response only proves you're knee jerks rather too quickly.

The use of the word hostages is what draws eyeballs.  Sells papers.  Sells detergent.  Whatever.   

They weren't hostages, they were self-actuated fuck-ups that Kim used as a political give-away.  

7 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Your little bit of snarkish response only proves you're knee jerks rather too quickly.

The use of the word hostages is what draws eyeballs.  Sells papers.  Sells detergent.  Whatever.   

They weren't hostages, they were self-actuated fuck-ups that Kim used as a political give-away.  

I guess you don’t understand how click bait works.  It uses SEO’s to connect with stories.   In many cases you will not see the word you searched in the story.   In this case I verified that the link title matched the story.  

Personally I’m happy Americans, illegally detained as POW’s are coming home.  You can play word games with Raz. 

8 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

This is where I'm coming from at the moment. They weren't "hostages". They were criminals who were jailed for breaking the law. A law they knew going into the country and intended to break.

Is it good they're getting to go home? Undeniably.

Is it a huge win for the US? Not really, they weren't going into this for the hostages, there is no value in NK keeping them, and NK saves money with no loss for giving them back.

Were they hostages? No, they were criminals that were arrested and jailed for committing crimes. The word "hostage" is being used to make a bigger deal out of this than it is.

What crime did Tony Kim commit?

What crime did Kim Kak-song commit?

What crime did Kin Dong-chul commit?

2 minutes ago, jzk said:

What crime did Tony Kim commit?

What crime did Kim Kak-song commit?

What crime did Kin Dong-chul commit?

It’s just TDS shining through.    I believe They were all charged with spying and treated as POW’s.  Everyone except NK acknowledges they were convicted on false charges. 

Just now, TMSAIL said:

It’s just TDS shining through.    I believe They were all charged with spying and treated as POW’s.  Everyone except NK acknowledges they were convicted on false charges. 

Everyone except NK and Bent.

Which were convicted of anything?

3 hours ago, phillysailor said:

You’re just utterly incapable of admitting that goofball did something good!  

Gee, getting a few prisoners home and getting our military out of South Korea is just awful. 

16 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

I guess you don’t understand how click bait works.  It uses SEO’s to connect with stories.   In many cases you will not see the word you searched in the story.   In this case I verified that the link title matched the story.  

Personally I’m happy Americans, illegally detained as POW’s are coming home.  You can play word games with Raz. 

Yawn.

1 hour ago, TMSAIL said:

So, a right wing rags, a has-been idiot and well, I’d rather not touch the 3rd rail like you are. So nothing from the MSM. 

as a balance, NPR called them detainees.

25 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Got nothing to do with Trump. Just because you can't look at politics without him making an appearance in your thinking doesn't mean the rest of us suffer from your malady.

I disagree with the draconian laws of North Korea. It's one of the many reasons I would never go there. However, when you have one of them admitting to and apologising for his crimes before his sentencing - you lose your leeway for calling him a hostage. He wasn't being held "hostage" - he was, by the laws of the country, a convicted criminal.

6 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Got nothing to do with Trump. Just because you can't look at politics without him making an appearance in your thinking doesn't mean the rest of us suffer from your malady.

I disagree with the draconian laws of North Korea. It's one of the many reasons I would never go there. However, when you have one of them admitting to and apologising for his crimes before his sentencing - you lose your leeway for calling him a hostage. He wasn't being held "hostage" - he was, by the laws of the country, a convicted criminal.

Are we back pedaling a little?  So then you agree that 2 of them were not "criminals," but rather "hostages?"

What was the third guilty of?

3 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Wheels up, 0200 at Andrews to meet the CiC. What great news.

Wheels down..... Please..... Get yer nomenclature correct, please.....:rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Wheels down..... Please..... Get yer nomenclature correct, please.....:rolleyes:

3 greens, actually.

29 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

You would admit to, and apologize for anything too Bent boi. In seconds, I’m sure. Just a hunch.

2 minutes ago, chum said:

You would admit to, and apologize for anything too Bent boi. In seconds, I’m sure. Just a hunch.

Because you've shown such insight into who I am and how I think in the past. :rolleyes: 

Whether you agree with their means or not, the fact remains he was convicted and sentenced for breaking the laws of the country. That is not a hostage. That is a criminal or, if you want to be politically correct and the crime in question political in nature, a detainee.

I think it's great they're getting to go home. Just pointing out that they were not hostages and not of any real value to North Korea. It's a great victory for them personally, but for the USA & North Korea as international entities - it's nought but kabuki theatre. Of great fanfare but little import or sacrifice for either side.

No, I don’t know you at all, it’s just a hunch from reading the pablum you post here, that’s all.

7 minutes ago, chum said:

No, I don’t know you at all

Kind of the point. Now, having scratched your itch to once again talk about me specifically, do you have anything actually on topic to add ?

13 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Because you've shown such insight into who I am and how I think in the past. :rolleyes: 

Whether you agree with their means or not, the fact remains he was convicted and sentenced for breaking the laws of the country. That is not a hostage. That is a criminal or, if you want to be politically correct and the crime in question political in nature, a detainee.

I think it's great they're getting to go home. Just pointing out that they were not hostages and not of any real value to North Korea. It's a great victory for them personally, but for the USA & North Korea as international entities - it's nought but kabuki theatre. Of great fanfare but little import or sacrifice for either side.

What was his crime?  Do you admit that you were wrong about the other two?   They were hostages, right?

7 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Kind of the point. Now, having scratched your itch to once again talk about me specifically, do you have anything actually on topic to add ?

Interesting edit.

Hostages informed Trump is President-Request Return to North Korea

North Korea released three American citizens being held prisoner in that nation today. After being turned over to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, they boarded a plane back to the United States. After embarking on their journey home, the three men who had been held without communications with their families were informed that in their absence, Donald Trump had been elected president. "You mean the guy from The Apprentice?" asked Kim Dong-chul, a 64-year-old South Korean-born U.S. citizen, who had been held the longest. "I thought North Korea had a crazy leader", added Tony Kim, 59, who also goes by Kim Sang-duk. 

After conferring for several minutes the three men asked the Secretary of State if it would be possible to turn the plane around and leave them back in nation from which they had just been freed. "It's hard to believe what has happened to our country" said a clearly dejected Kim Hak-song, "have we really been gone that long?". The three decided that it would be better to just "hang out" in North Korea until this Trump thing passed. President Trump derided the trio in a tweet calling them "disgraceful" and "un-American".
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, chum said:

Interesting edit.

And yet it remains factual nor changes the fact you are talking about me, not the topic. 

Do you have any insight, opinion, or commentary on the topic or are you going to prove how little you care about me by continually discussing me? Again.

29 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Hostages informed Trump is President-Request Return to North Korea

North Korea released three American citizens being held prisoner in that nation today. After being turned over to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, they boarded a plane back to the United States. After embarking on their journey home, the three men who had been held without communications with their families were informed that in their absence, Donald Trump had been elected president. "You mean the guy from The Apprentice?" asked Kim Dong-chul, a 64-year-old South Korean-born U.S. citizen, who had been held the longest. "I thought North Korea had a crazy leader", added Tony Kim, 59, who also goes by Kim Sang-duk. 

After conferring for several minutes the three men asked the Secretary of State if it would be possible to turn the plane around and leave them back in nation from which they had just been freed. "It's hard to believe what has happened to our country" said a clearly dejected Kim Hak-song, "have we really been gone that long?". The three decided that it would be better to just "hang out" in North Korea until this Trump thing passed. President Trump derided the trio in a tweet calling them "disgraceful" and "un-American".

You stole someone else’s work. At least acknowledge it  

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210597080

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

Hanlon's razor.

Glad you can self correct

40 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

And yet it remains factual nor changes the fact you are talking about me, not the topic. 

Do you have any insight, opinion, or commentary on the topic or are you going to prove how little you care about me by continually discussing me? Again.

Uh yeah, that’s it Bent. Is it considered talking about you to say youre nuts?

58 minutes ago, chum said:

Uh yeah, that’s it Bent. Is it considered talking about you to say youre nuts?

Yes. It is noted you find me more interesting and worthy of comment than the situation of North Korea. 

5 hours ago, TMSAIL said:

You stole someone else’s work. At least acknowledge it  

some people really do need purple font .

40 minutes ago, Mid said:

Nah, TMSAIL just didn't have a "come back" for it, so he indulged his inner petty eight year old.

Thought it was amusing myself, like something you'd expect from The Onion. 

That's fucking awesome.  Korea not a problem but how the fuck do you sell arms?  Oh, pull out of the Iran deal?  Roger that.

Untitled.jpg.ee6e43716599b7cf746bf52793dead46.jpg

1 hour ago, Mid said:

Obama who?

4 hours ago, Mid said:

I forgot cites are only required  for some of us 

14 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Awesome accomplishment. Diplomacy is good. 

Sometimes. 

Threats of obliteration = diplomacy 

( ) yes

( ) no

( ) realpolitik 

( ) assymetrical warefare

whatever happened to MAD?

Edit- has anyone shown this to Kim Jong Un?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3bJsGJhpZd8

Assume, for a moment, that he has seen it.  I’m sure China  would be glad to have an advanced technology United Korea nuclear power on their border.  

Can anyone be buddies with China?

Can anyone be buddies with us anymore?

31 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

I forgot cites are only required  for some of us 

Damn straight.  So get on it.

The victims littering this site- :blink:

Little Rocket Man has been broken.  I am the greatest deal maker in history.  Tearing down the Iran deal which was so one sided, told Rocket man that I am serious about deals.  He flinched.  My button is bigger.  Bigly.

1 hour ago, Amati said:

Threats of obliteration = diplomacy 

( ) yes

( ) no

( ) realpolitik 

( ) assymetrical warefare

whatever happened to MAD?

Edit- has anyone shown this to Kim Jong Un?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3bJsGJhpZd8

Assume, for a moment, that he has seen it.  I’m sure China  would be glad to have an advanced technology United Korea nuclear power on their border.  

Can anyone be buddies with China?

Can anyone be buddies with us anymore?

Sending the Secretary of State to negotiate their release is diplomacy.  That's the way it should work, and it worked.  Credit where credit is due.  

I broke Lil Rocket Man like a bitch.  Take Obama's Nobel prize and give it to me!  Say, those released prisoners sure don't look American.

19 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Sending the Secretary of State to negotiate their release is diplomacy.  That's the way it should work, and it worked.  Credit where credit is due.  

Talk like that will get Our Secretary of State fired, you sly devil-

All credit to our fearless leader!  That is where credit is due.

24 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

My only criticism would be what took so long?  They have been there over a year, and that is simply not acceptable.

18 minutes ago, jzk said:

My only criticism would be what took so long?  They have been there over a year, and that is simply not acceptable.

“Simply not acceptable”!

Oooooooh!

Feels good, no?

9 hours ago, TMSAIL said:

Obama who?

Untitled.jpg.f2963088932afdd3ff2493b4b7c43d4f.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 3:12 PM, chum said:

Jiblets will be along shortly to start feverishly spinning.

Edit: I do wonder what the alleged payment to SK had to do with it, if anything. 

Takes industrial grade stupid like you and TMSAIL possess to spin Kim Jong Un kidnapping people to use as bargaining chips, then using them as bargaining chips, as forward progress, but that's why we have stupid partisans like you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mid said:

Untitled.jpg.f2963088932afdd3ff2493b4b7c43d4f.jpg

Who the Fuck cares. I clearly remember Obama getting Jimmy and Bill involved. 

Watch Obama’s Bin Laden is dead speeches.  Lots of I’s in them.  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/9476785/Barack-Obama-faces-criticism-for-taking-credit-for-Osama-bin-Laden-death.html

For the record I give full credit to Obama for ordering the attack 

5 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Takes industrial grade stupid like you and TMSAIL possess to spin Kim Jong Un kidnapping people to use as bargaining chips, then using them as bargaining chips, as forward progress, but that's why we have stupid partisans like you.

Peace be upon you.

3 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Who the Fuck cares.

you are a perfect trumpett 

5 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Well Obama got 8 out in 8 years and we were worse off with NK than when he took office.   Trump got 3 out in a year and a half and has a summit scheduled in a month. By your logic or lack there of  Clearly Trump is better at negotiating than Obama. 

Just now, Mid said:

you are a perfect trumpett 

I’m an American wanting a better world.  You want Trump to fail so bad you are hoping the Korean situation fails. 

• Like 1

Well Obama got 8 out in 8 years and we were worse off with NK than when he took office.   Trump got 3 out in a year and a half and has a summit scheduled in a month. By your logic or lack there of  Clearly Trump is better at negotiating than Obama. 

How is the US better off? Use facts, be specific.

I’m an American wanting a better world.  You want Trump to fail so bad you are hoping the Korean situation fails. 

nah, we want to know what's being negotiated away and what the risks are. You just have blind faith in a conman.

1 minute ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

How is the US better off? Use facts, be specific.

1 minute ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

nah, we want to know what's being negotiated away and what the risks are. You just have blind faith in a conman.

We don’t know yet as it hasn’t happened yet.   So far Trump has conceded nothing and has gotten NK to remove previous conditions to any discussion. 

Plus I’m sure the families are happy he got their loved ones released as a condition to meeting with Kim.  

The South Korean President and PM have both given Trump full credit to get everyone this far.   

Is it a long shot - absolutely, but I hope even you would not be truely upset if we actually get a formal peace treaty. 

6 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

I’m an American wanting a better world.

if you believe that .........................

so far you have championed torture , limits to free speech and white supremacy .

12 minutes ago, Mid said:

so far you have championed torture , limits to free speech and white supremacy .

and before you have an apoplectic fit ................

the same applies to any and all Trump supporters because those are his values .

19 minutes ago, Mid said:

Sure thing dingo.  

30 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

NORK didn't have a delivery system for their nukes then.

You really can't grasp the significance of that bit can you? How their rockets changed the game for them.

It's only about Trump and Obama and "We won and you lost" to you isn't it.

Fuck, you right wingers have little, narrow minds.

7 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Unless you are Obama Right?

pick a side putz

MHStImPAJeya5mhs38xRov5-jr32Zxd3n8_o_-fN

It would have been a concession for Obama too. The question is what's gained.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TMSAIL said:
12 hours ago, Mid said:

Obama who?

The guy that free 11 Americans from NK without an orgy of self-fellating photo ops.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

The guy that free 11 Americans from NK without an orgy of self-fellating photo ops.

FAKE NEWS! 

Obama was more interested in helping Crooked Hillary hide her emails than negotiating.  The 3AM return had the biggest ratings, much bigger than Obama.

1 hour ago, TMSAIL said:

Who the Fuck cares.

Starts thread about the release of three hostages from NK due to a GOP President. Claims no-one cares about the release of 11 hostages from NK due to a Democratic President.

Sums you up perfectly.

• Like 1

I think he got burned on celebrating prisoner releases and decided to go low key after this fuck up 

7 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

I think he got burned on celebrating prisoner releases and decided to go low key after this fuck up

Well, some people here still can't give him the credit for eleven rescued Americans that they give Trump for three. So there is that as well.

All this kafuffel a side. Who cares who was the Pres ?

Is there a down side to a unified Korea ? 

Was there a down side to a unified Germany ?

1 minute ago, Prof Anthrax said:

All this kafuffel a side. Who cares who was the Pres ?

Is there a down side to a unified Korea ? 

Was there a down side to a unified Germany ?

A unified Korea led by Kim Jong Unabomber? What could possibly go wrong?