Sign in to follow this  
TMSAIL

Korea. Step one 3 hostages released

Why has this shifted to reunification?  

I never thought that is what the summit is about.   How about two neighboring countries that are no longer on a war footing with each other.  Slow move to normalize relations trade travel ect.  China keeps its buffer. SK still protected by the US.  

All this talk about SORK/NORK negotiations is such a waste of time & energy.

Wait until it happens and actually produces something. Then we can praise or criticize as appropriate.

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Wait until it happens and actually produces something. The we can praise or criticize as appropriate.

If Trumpkins had to wait for deliverables from all of his bullshit promises they'd be never trumpers.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Wait until it happens and actually produces something. Then we can praise or criticize as appropriate.

Really?  Are you fucking NEW here?  This is why PA exists for you ninnies to talk endlessly and pontificate on what might happen. 

But I’ll be sure to save this and bring it up every time there is speculation by you and Jibsey that trump is going to do something bad but hasn’t yet. 

Edited by Shootist Jeff

Colbert said that the First Lady might be the next hostage freed.  

1 hour ago, TMSAIL said:

I’m perfectly caught up.  Read your link saw nothing about dropping US protection.   Just possible troop reductions. 

No trip wire? no nuclear umbrella.

2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

No trip wire? no nuclear umbrella.

Where did you read that?  You do understand we have not had nukes in SK for over a decade.  Yet somehow we are able to have SK covered. 

Just now, TMSAIL said:

Where did you read that?  You do understand we have not had nukes in SK for over a decade.  Yet somehow we are able to have SK covered. 

Ahh Jesus, do we have to go over Nuke Deterrence 101 again?

Look up Trip Wire. Once you've done your homework you can come back into class. We'll try not to get too far ahead.

15 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Ahh Jesus, do we have to go over Nuke Deterrence 101 again?

Look up Trip Wire. Once you've done your homework you can come back into class. We'll try not to get too far ahead.

I’m a history buff.  How many troops do you need to have your trip wire?  Would a mutual defense treaty not be considered a trip wire?   Second do you understand what the triad stands for? It Includes Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Louisiana,  Alabama and a few others.  Not the states. 

6 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

I’m a history buff.  How many troops do you need to have your trip wire?  Would a mutual defense treaty not be considered a trip wire?   Second do you understand what the triad stands for? It Includes Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Louisiana,  Alabama and a few others.  Not the states. 

Delivery systems don't matter, and yeah, I've been in a trident missile tube in the factory in Minneapolis.  It's the DECISION to USE the nukes that matters.

Do you really think that Trump would risk GLOBAL NUCLEAR WAR if there weren't dead american soldiers?  Sorry, he'd say "hey SORKs, tough break, I know we have an agreement in place, but you know who I am and what I do with international agreements."

THATS why there's a tripwire.  Why do you think the countries under the umbrella wanted the troops there, in the first place? It wasn't so they can rip up the countryside and keep a portion of their young women employed as whores....

10 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

It wasn't so they can rip up the countryside and keep a portion of their young women employed as whores....

That was just a bonus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Really?  Are you fucking NEW here?  This is why PA exists for you ninnies to talk endlessly and pontificate on what might happen.

I thought it existed as a place to heap scorn and ridicule on fanatics, fools and ignoramuses.

You know, all that stuff you want to do in everyday life but can't due to social conventions.

;)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:
3 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I thought it existed as a place to heap scorn and ridicule on fanatics, fools and ignoramuses.

You know, all that stuff you want to do in everyday life but can't due to social conventions.

;)

Well..... there is that too.

14 hours ago, TMSAIL said:

don't bother discussing this with flash, he will move the goal posts when you ask a direct questions (like - if there is peace on the peninsula, who is the trip wire for?)  he just throws shit on the wall looking for an argument then dances around trying to find a point.

the flash dance

5 minutes ago, hermetic said:

the flash dance

Now that's funny.

17 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Now that's funny.

22 minutes ago, hermetic said:

don't bother discussing this with flash, he will move the goal posts when you ask a direct questions (like - if there is peace on the peninsula, who is the trip wire for?)  he just throws shit on the wall looking for an argument then dances around trying to find a point.

the flash dance

Yep.  He is worried that Trump won’t fire missiles if all of the 28,000 troops are not there.  I guess the 140,000 US citizens living in SK DONT COUNT.  

I love the Flash Dance reference.  I’m thinking  Bent could join Flash as a character in the movie.  Every day he turns this on as he logs in to PA

12 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:
13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
16 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

;)

Well..... there is that too.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I can ridicule morons to their face in real life. I rarely indulge these days, but I'm retired and trying to take it easy.

There is a lot of interesting discussion here.

-DSK

1 hour ago, TMSAIL said:

I’m thinking  Bent could join Flash as a character in the movie.  Every day he turns this on as he logs in to PA

Yet another unprompted comment proving how not fixated you are. Add how often you talk about someone you claim to ignore with that signature line, and people really start to understand just how unobsessed you are. :rolleyes: 

Between you & Jeff, I can understand why some people worry about the mental health of their biggest fans.

there'l be nothing more from this "summit" than a photo op and a promise to hold more .

the winner will be Singapore ....................

1002848271_Singapore_10000_yusof_front.jpg.1f9c3ff42ef824c827669834ea5dab54.jpg

"He said that the coming DPRK-U.S. summit would be a historic meeting for the excellent first step toward promotion of the positive situation development in the Korean peninsula and building of a good future," the Korean Central News Agency said in an English dispatch. The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is North Korea's official name.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2018/05/10/0200000000AEN20180510000800315.html

snap .

How quaint. You post a link about a nothing burger.  Then when it is ignored because it is nothing burger you bump it with a teenage girls “snap”

All peace resolutions start out with this type of first step.   

18 hours ago, TMSAIL said:

All peace resolutions start out with this type of first step.

And the US is expert at making peace.  They have advised the Israelis and Palestinians about it for decades, telling them that conflict is not the answer ... then they invade Iraq.

Oh, well, that didn't last long.

N Korea cancels talks with South Korea and warns US

"North Korea has cancelled high-level talks with South Korea scheduled for Wednesday because of anger over military exercises, state media reports.

The North's official KCNA news agency said joint exercises between the US and the South were a "provocation" and a rehearsal for an invasion.

It also warned the US over the fate of the historic summit between Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump scheduled for 12 June."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44133308?ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_mchannel=social&ns_linkname=news_central

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

Oopsie. Looks like no-bell for Donnie tiny-hands.

truthout17s17 seconds ago 

BREAKING: South Korean news agency: North Korea threatens to cancel U.S. summit over South Korea-U.S. military drills.

The only thing funnier than the wing-nut's mental masturbation is their premature ejaculation when they think they're about to score a 'win'.  It's like Rimas claiming a world record right before he drifts past a wide-open harbor and no-one shows up to tow him in. Dunning-Kruger effect is funny.

35 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

"North Korea has cancelled high-level talks with South Korea scheduled for Wednesday because of anger over military exercises, state media reports.

The North's official KCNA news agency said joint exercises between the US and the South were a "provocation" and a rehearsal for an invasion.

It also warned the US over the fate of the historic summit between Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump scheduled for 12 June."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44133308?ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_mchannel=social&ns_linkname=news_central

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

This isn't news - it's the same posturing DPRK has ALWAYS engaged in when military exercises were underway in SK. 

maybe the Nobel committee is focused on Israel today, and won’t notice this. 

11 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

This isn't news - it's the same posturing DPRK has ALWAYS engaged in when military exercises were underway in SK. 

Then anyone with reasonable intelligence wouldn't be crowing about Trump's 'accomplishment' and 'Nobel Prize' before it actually was done. Ever hear the expression "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched"?  Apparently not.  NK has a poor negotiating record and a poor record abiding by agreements. Trump is even worse. The chances of this agreement happening were slim to none...and Slim was heading out the door. 

8 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Then anyone with reasonable intelligence wouldn't be crowing about Trump's 'accomplishment' and 'Nobel Prize' before it actually was done. Ever hear the expression "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched"?  Apparently not.  NK has a poor negotiating record and a poor record abiding by agreements. Trump is even worse. The chances of this agreement happening were slim to none...and Slim was heading out the door. 

Agreed - but. I would apply that same admonition to those who'd use this announcement to crow about Trump's failure to make the summit happen before it's actually cancelled.   Lotsa posturing going on, not much of it seems new to me. 

34 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Agreed - but. I would apply that same admonition to those who'd use this announcement to crow about Trump's failure to make the summit happen before it's actually cancelled.   Lotsa posturing going on, not much of it seems new to me. 

LOL, for any sort of agreement to work they would have to be fully engaged in diplomacy, not engaged in fully developed military drills. Naturally, for those of us who enjoy watching, it is the same old thing, raise expectations then pull away, repeat until South Korea or the United States makes major compromises, and then just do what they were going to do anyway. 

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

LOL, for any sort of agreement to work they would have to be fully engaged in diplomacy, not engaged in fully developed military drills. Naturally, for those of us who enjoy watching, it is the same old thing, raise expectations then pull away, repeat until South Korea or the United States makes major compromises, and then just do what they were going to do anyway. 

So - you're suggesting that continuing with the longstanding multinational military exercises is somehow or another an intentional avoidance of diplomacy?   

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

So - you're suggesting that continuing with the longstanding multinational military exercises is somehow or another an intentional avoidance of diplomacy?   

I'm saying Sarah Huckabee Sanders will be along shortly with a fully developed and completely unbelievable excuse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I'm saying Sarah Huckabee Sanders will be along shortly with a fully developed and completely unbelievable excuse.

So, you're backing away from your unsubstantiated comment, and trying to deflect, again, when asked a question you know you can't answer?  Ok - thanks for that. 

So, you're backing away from your unsubstantiated comment, and trying to deflect, again, when asked a question you know you can't answer?  Ok - thanks for that. 

I'm saying that if you want a peace agreement and one member does not agree with fully developed military drills (which they have been claiming for some time) you don't go forward with military exercises unless you are completely stupid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I'm saying that if you want a peace agreement and one member does not agree with fully developed military drills (which they have been claiming for some time) you don't go forward with military exercises unless you are completely stupid.

I understand what you're saying - and would add that in consideration of NKs historic behavior, making warrant major changes to planned events before any agreements had been negotiated would be, to use your words, "completely stupid".   Why would you hand Kim Jung Un a political win like cancelling exercises before he's done ANYTHING to warrant such a concession?   NK's leadership has always been hostile, dangerous and their behavior has warranted maintaining a constant state of defensive military readiness in SK. 

Nothing has yet changed that warrants an adjustment to this posture.  KJU is running out of maneuvering room, and you want everyone else to adjust to give him more?  Why do you always apologize for the people who are causing the problems, while expecting everyone else to adjust in appeasement?   

Another thing Chesapeake, If we are so fully engaged why did the press announce this change and not the State Department?

Just now, badlatitude said:

Another thing Chesapeake, If we are so fully engaged why did the press announce this change and not the State Department?

Why ask me?   I'm saying that continuing the exercises that have been going on for 50+ years doesn't have anything to do with the degree of diplomatic engagement - merely countering your absurd suggestion that to be diplomatically engaged, everyone else should refrain from doing anything that the nuts in NK don't like.   

You've got some really strange ideas about who should do what to "fix" things - 

1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I understand what you're saying - and would add that in consideration of NKs historic behavior, making warrant major changes to planned events before any agreements had been negotiated would be, to use your words, "completely stupid".   Why would you hand Kim Jung Un a political win like cancelling exercises before he's done ANYTHING to warrant such a concession?   NK's leadership has always been hostile, dangerous and their behavior has warranted maintaining a constant state of defensive military readiness in SK. 

Nothing has yet changed that warrants an adjustment to this posture.  KJU is running out of maneuvering room, and you want everyone else to adjust to give him more?  Why do you always apologize for the people who are causing the problems, while expecting everyone else to adjust in appeasement?   

You need to keep up Chesapeake, North Korea was dismantling their nuclear site and was well underway until The U.S. and South Korea decided to go play war. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/15/dismantling-of-north-korea-nuclear-site-well-under-way-satellite-images-show

3 hours ago, badlatitude said:

This bunch is too fucking stupid to delay the exercises until after the meeting. :rolleyes:

Like the morons who tested a missile launch at the height of the Cuban crisis.

Sometimes you just have to wonder how the human race made it this far.

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

This bunch is too fucking stupid to delay the exercises until after the meeting. :rolleyes:

Like the morons who tested a missile launch at the height of the Cuban crisis.

Sometimes you just have to wonder how the human race made it this far.

I agree to gift-wrap an excuse to pull the plug even temporarily, is stupid beyond measure, now we've given Kim a reason to paint us as the bad guys and sound completely reasonable to the world press.

12 hours ago, badlatitude said:

I agree to gift-wrap an excuse to pull the plug even temporarily, is stupid beyond measure, now we've given Kim a reason to paint us as the bad guys and sound completely reasonable to the world press.

If you really think that continuing with exercises that have been going on for years, the pause/cessation of which were NEVER discussed as a condition to these talks is "giving Kim a reason to paint us as the bad guys", you really need to re-evaluate your perspective.    

17 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

If you really think that continuing with exercises that have been going on for years, the pause/cessation of which were NEVER discussed as a condition to these talks is "giving Kim a reason to paint us as the bad guys", you really need to re-evaluate your perspective.    

At this point, now that NK has made the "demand," the last thing we can do is cancel it.  

Getting the three guys out of NK is an accomplishment. Beyond that, well, don’t engrave any trophies until it is all said and done. 

35 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Getting the three guys out of NK is an accomplishment. Beyond that, well, don’t engrave any trophies until it is all said and done. 

Yup - but, I suspect that happened more because KJU wanted a publicity win than due to anything this administration did. 

31 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Yup - but, I suspect that happened more because KJU wanted a publicity win than due to anything this administration did. 

Well, Trump did use it to shoot at his feet again castigating Obama for not managing to release people that hadn't yet been arrested when he left office. He had the ingredients for an easy PR win by just playing it cool and letting his supporters talk him up (like we've been watching them try here).... but instead he pulls the trigger on both barrels and uses it to further undermine his personal credibility. :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Do you imagine that putting on war exercises while in the middle of peace talks was in any way helpful to the discussion, you have your MAGA hat on too tight.

19 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Do you imagine that putting on war exercises while in the middle of peace talks was in any way helpful to the discussion, you have your MAGA hat on too tight.

Sure... Anything you say, BL.   

6 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Sure... Anything you say, BL.   

That's okay Ches, Donnie was gullible enough to fall for Kim's ploy as well. But that "No one has gotten as far as me in negotiations" has to hurt."

That's okay Ches, Donnie was gullible enough to fall for Kim's ploy as well. But that "No one has gotten as far as me in negotiations" has to hurt."

Your powers of observation and recollection are awesome, BL - I genuflect in your direction, and offer my most insincere thanks for allowing us to benefit from the sharing of your superior opinions.    An obtuse twit you are - always looking in the wrong place for the fix and blame.  "has to hurt"?  Doesn't hurt me a bit - go read my comments when the idea of the summit first came about.   This is exactly what I expected, and if it wasn't the joint exercises that had been going on for years, were expected, and for which there is and was no reason to defer them other than to hand a "win" to KJU?  It would've been something else, real or contrived, that KJU decided to throw out as a possible reason for abandoning the talks.  This is a ploy for negotiating position - nothing less, nothing more, and that you buy the "Blame the US" BS isn't a surprise either. 

I'm never disappointed in how easily Donald Trump is played, but so are his supporters. They saw any concession as a slam dunk and a historic win that never happened anywhere else before. Unfortunately, no one but the wiser Kim Jong Un recognized that Trump's negotiating acumen is what led him to bankruptcy so many times, and Kim saw just how lacking the Trump team is in experience. Rocket man hit a home run and Team Trump never saw it coming.

• Like 1

I'm never disappointed in how easily Donald Trump is played, but so are his supporters. They saw any concession as a slam dunk and a historic win that never happened anywhere else before. Unfortunately, no one but the wiser Kim Jong Un recognized that Trump's negotiating acumen is what led him to bankruptcy so many times, and Kim saw just how lacking the Trump team is in experience. Rocket man hit a home run and Team Trump never saw it coming.

And the rabid partisans applaud their ability to see the same thing everyone else saw, but, twist it as a slam against the other guys, rather than painting the accurate picture that this was just a continuation of the same from DPRK. 

And the rabid partisans applaud their ability to see the same thing everyone else saw, but, twist it as a slam against the other guys, rather than painting the accurate picture that this was just a continuation of the same from DPRK. 

Too bad the Army of Trump didn't see it coming. We could have told them.

Saw what coming?   That NK was erratic.

How is this a loss for Trump?

Are the sanctions lifted? 

Did we concede anything?

We did get 3 prisoners back with out giving anything back.  

TDS is running strong today   

14 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Saw what coming?   That NK was erratic.

How is this a loss for Trump?

Are the sanctions lifted? 

Did we concede anything?

We did get 3 prisoners back with out giving anything back.  

TDS is running strong today   

Every prior administration could easily have sat down with North Korea but did not because North Korea was famously obstinate about any concessions prior to talks. China is counseling NK and Kim is not about to give up his nukes for Donald Trump. There isn't anything Trump can do about it either. North Korea has been screaming for legitimacy since 1954 and with Donald Trump calling it a "Summit" instead of just "Talks" he's giving it to them.

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I also suspect without the release, the Americans might have walked out.

Meanwhile aren't the Americans performing military drills in the area as a good gesture?     

2 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

I also suspect without the release, the Americans might have walked out.

Meanwhile aren't the Americans performing military drills in the area?     

The joint exercises happen every year - it's not news, it's not new, it's not done as a provocation or preparation for anything beyond exercising C4 responses to external threats. 

Don’t worry, everything will work out fine.  We’ve been told by the highest authority that Kim Jong Un is an honorable person.

3 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The joint exercises happen every year - it's not news, it's not new, it's not done as a provocation or preparation for anything beyond exercising C4 responses to external threats. 

.....:lol:

12 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I do think that given the nature and sensitivity of the upcoming talks, it might have been prudent to hold off on them for now and let this play out.  Then if the talks fell through, have a HUGE exercise just to poke lil kimmy in the eyes.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I do think that given the nature and sensitivity of the upcoming talks, it might have been prudent to hold off on them for now and let this play out.  Then if the talks fell through, have a HUGE exercise just to poke lil kimmy in the eyes.  

the exercises started the 13th.  pompeo was in a meeting with lil kim on the 8th.

you'd think if the exercises were going to be a deal killer, lil kim would have mention them at that point

5 minutes ago, hermetic said:

the exercises started the 13th.  pompeo was in a meeting with lil kim on the 8th.

you'd think if the exercises were going to be a deal killer, lil kim would have mention them at that point

Not if he was playing a long game.  

Pompeo and Orangish could have asked the career diplomats at State for advice...oh that's right...the smart people were all driven out and not replaced. 

Who needs 'em when you know more about everything than anybody.

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

It would've been something else, real or contrived, that KJU decided to throw out as a possible reason for abandoning the talks.  This is a ploy for negotiating position - nothing less, nothing more, and that you buy the "Blame the US" BS isn't a surprise either. 

Agreed. They would have just figured out some other way even if the 'summit' was a success. Once the sanctions were somewhat lifted, they'd make a big deal if a South Korean farted in order to justify going back to their shenanigans. I've never seen them do anything in good faith.

47 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Not if he was playing a long game.  

Pompeo and Orangish could have asked the career diplomats at State for advice...oh that's right...the smart people were all driven out and not replaced. 

Who needs 'em when you know more about everything than anybody.

who knows if the donald will get something done, but what has any of the "career diplomats at state" done to now in nk?

kicking the nuclear can down the road doesn't count

14 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

I've never seen them do anything in good faith.

That's the whole point here. I've been watching them longer than I care to think about and they have always been 100% treacherous.

Of course to fools like Hapless Hillary Malarkey it's just lefties wanting to see Trump fail at any cost.

4 minutes ago, hermetic said:

kicking the nuclear can down the road doesn't count

Why not?

It's worked to keep the world from being blown up so far.

The genie ain't goin' back in the bottle so any solution you care to name is going to be a variation on kicking the can down the road.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

Why not?

The genie ain't goin' back in the bottle so any solution you care to name is going to be a variation on kicking the can down the road.

up until last year, they couldn't be delivered.  but hey, I live on the east coast.  if lil kim wants to lob nukes in your direction - fine by me

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Why not?

They have nukes and rockets.  They can put them in a closet or dump them in the ocean, but the knowledge is still there. 

Kind of like the US Government attitude on forgiving student loan debt.  You can't repossess knowledge.

3 minutes ago, hermetic said:

up until last year, they couldn't be delivered.  but hey, I live on the east coast.  if lil kim wants to lob nukes in your direction - fine by me

Are you a natural asshole? or do you have to work at it?

10 minutes ago, hermetic said:

up until last year.

46 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Are you a natural asshole? or do you have to work at it?

poor flash, such a snowflake

23 minutes ago, hermetic said:

poor flash, such a snowflake

Better a snowflake, I suppose, than a bitter old fuck who wants to see other cities nuked.