Wandering the marinas and seeing more than the occasional WTF. There is a great thread for the backend of boats in CA. I figured we need one for the front end.

I'll start

WL

thruster.jpg

38 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I was thinging more like this

Thing12.png

I've had worse bowmen bowthings

FB- Doug

Could be worse. You might take up fishing for mud fish?

5A1B88BC-F080-44AB-8723-0401D33EBD16.jpeg

Mandatory bow accessory for ego alley

1.jpg

• Like 2

You can actually fit more than just one:

women-sailing.jpg

11 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Wandering the marinas and seeing more than the occasional WTF. There is a great thread for the backend of boats in CA. I figured we need one for the front end.

I'll start

WL

thruster.jpg

An outboard bow thruster.

That is the latest Margarita blender for those powerboaters who like to pull up to the sandbar with their Poker Run stickpot on the big 'See and be Seen' holiday weekends. That way they can be free to cruise the sandbar and leave a icechest on the beach with all the fixings and they don't have to get back on the boat to use the onboard blender. 

13 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

I'll start

WL

thruster.jpg

Bracket is nicely machine screwed through the boot stripe.  All around A+ installation.

On 5/10/2018 at 2:05 PM, Left Shift said:

Bracket is nicely machine screwed through the boot stripe.  All around AHole installation

Fify

I’d love to be going around the windward mark with that baby catching the errant jib or spin sheet 

Have to tape a batten off the bow to keep the lines out of harms way

Someday someone will figure out a way to fit that equipment inside the hull and it will revolutionize the industry

• Like 1

Why would you not make that swing up and secure at pulpit/anchor sprit when not in use. A pivot pin would make it removable too. A single line led aft on either side would secure it down and tight to stem? 

The only people who require bow thrusters on boats under 60-70 feet, never learned how to get on and off a dock using spring lines......  Just sayin'..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, madohe said:

It's really a thing.......really.

https://sideshift.com/products/monohull-bow-stern-thrusters/

What will they think of next......?

Sideshift-Bow-Thruster-SS230-_1_1200x.jpg

Disclaimer:

I have nothing to do with this company.

I just find it to be funny.....

My buddy almost bought one of these up/down retractable, battery powered abominations (https://www.dockstarthrusters.com/):

d51fcc_20f5fd6935d3432b98a1ab1a5b1e1dd7~mv2.webp

After a few beers and a couple of dope slaps, he came to his senses. 

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

The only people who require bow thrusters on boats under 60-70 feet, never learned how to get on and off a dock using spring lines......  Just sayin'..

They think your crazy when you warp out of a slip...

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I’ll be honest, the first time I took one of our test boats for a drive back when the joystick tech was new, I was blown away by how easy it made docking. (Bow thrusters were needed for it back then).  It was truly so easy, a caveman could do it. 

Then I thought back to all my mediocre docking jobs it took to get good the old fashioned way, and was terrified of the new generation that’ll be out there. What happens when the toys don’t work?

6 hours ago, Monkey said:

Then I thought back to all my mediocre docking jobs it took to get good the old fashioned way, and was terrified of the new generation that’ll be out there. What happens when the toys don’t work?

demonleshione derbey                               :)

Slight thread hijack

One of the boats I am taking care of is a Bene 50' Sense. It has this lovely little thing called Dock n Go. Which essentially ties the bow thruster and the pivoting saildrive via computer to a joystick. In theory the joystick lets you move the boat any direction. The only problem is the computer crashes and disables all controls. So you can steer, but that's about it. Apparently using 24v thrusters in a 12 v systems sucks to much juice from the brain and shuts it down. You just have to shut down the engine and restart to get the controls back

This is handy when you are docking.

Why invent something like this I cannot fathom. Its kinda like the trucks that will back a trailer up for you. Should you really be driving if you can't handle the basics?

End hijack

WL

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, madohe said:

It's really a thing.......really.

https://sideshift.com/products/monohull-bow-stern-thrusters/

What will they think of next......?

Sideshift-Bow-Thruster-SS230-_1_1200x.jpg

Disclaimer:

I have nothing to do with this company.

I just find it to be funny.....

I am impressed. I really believed this was the workings of deranged, retired engineer. Again, I have to ask.... WHY???

WL

11 hours ago, billy backstay said:

But, but, but, boat goes left, boat goes right.......

It's all good fun, until....

7 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

I am impressed. I really believed this was the workings of deranged, retired engineer. Again, I have to ask.... WHY???

WL

Why?  Because people don't teach people how to use spring lines to get on and off a dock.........  Repeating myself, just sayin'...

9 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Slight thread hijack

One of the boats I am taking care of is a Bene 50' Sense. It has this lovely little thing called Dock n Go. Which essentially ties the bow thruster and the pivoting saildrive via computer to a joystick. In theory the joystick lets you move the boat any direction. The only problem is the computer crashes and disables all controls. So you can steer, but that's about it. Apparently using 24v thrusters in a 12 v systems sucks to much juice from the brain and shuts it down. You just have to shut down the engine and restart to get the controls back

This is handy when you are docking.

Why invent something like this I cannot fathom. Its kinda like the trucks that will back a trailer up for you. Should you really be driving if you can't handle the basics?

End hijack

WL

The more electronic stuff they put into things, the more things to go wrong...

Since they started backing boats into their pens, I've forgotten how you get to the bow.

Many would say that is a good thing!

TUBBY

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Why?  Because people don't teach people how to use spring lines to get on and off a dock.........  Repeating myself, just sayin'...

because...

7Okj7HkT0ZXpVNciBN1dOqEcUulPHq3DK9HfcH2y

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

because...

7Okj7HkT0ZXpVNciBN1dOqEcUulPHq3DK9HfcH2y

The fat kid looks like he's ready to do a Linda Blair head spin....

23 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Many many years ago an acquaintance bought a trawler that was built on a 65' shrimp boat hull. Single screw, no thruster. Myself and another guy helped him bring it back from Jacksonville to Tampa. None of us had any experience on a single screw boat that size, or any motorboat that size. Had absolutely no problem docking, going through locks, anchoring, or any other boat handling. Complete confidence maneuvering even in tight quarters...just required a little planning and patience. I'm thinking anyone who 'needs' a bow thruster probably also needs training wheels and a sippy cup.

16 hours ago, billy backstay said:

The more electronic stuff they put into things, the more things to go wrong...

Which then keeps some of us employed!

7 hours ago, hobot said:

Which then keeps some of us employed!

That's for sure!!  Things are so screwed up where I work, I have job security for life!!!  LOL!

On 5/13/2018 at 1:46 PM, Sail4beer said:

They think your crazy when you warp out of a slip...

(nerd alert) I think you are supposed to clear the dock before going to warp (nerd alert)

First time I warped out, an old timer was showing us the ropes and rigged a stern line to the inside corner rather than offside to warp us off a leeward dock.  Sorta almost worked, but as we gathered way, rather than slipping the warp, he flipped it off the cleat.  Tossed a perfect half hitch around the horn, which you couldn't do again if you tried, nearly ripped the cleat off the dock, but it held.  So we got to do it again.  Boating.

I was taught early on, as a teenager how to use spring lines when docking, or leaving the dock.  Never heard it called "warping" though, is that a regional colloquialism, or universal?  Back then, people would rarely think of just going out and buying and using a boat, without some prior experience, or training.  The few that did, were smart enough to hire competent crew to show them the ropes, until they were competent enough to be pilot in command in their own right.  Kind of like flight training, you learn some simple steps and practice them until proficient, then add more.  But it was done while cruising, not rote practice, like flight schooling.

To me, springing on and off is different from warping. Springing off uses springs and the engine, whereas warping a boat around the place involves running warps and using them to pull the boat around - no engine required.

And for something a bit different: spronging off.

2 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

To me, springing on and off is different from warping. Springing off uses springs and the engine, whereas warping a boat around the place involves running warps and using them to pull the boat around - no engine required.

And for something a bit different: spronging off.

he needs more fenders..

Just for reference, I spent some time on the big grey boats.  

One of the smaller ones was about 250' long, 40' beam, 2,500 tons and 30,000 hp.  

That small boat was almost always berthed by clever use of each engine (2 steam turbines driving two shafts) and spring lines.  I saw 3" diameter lines pulled as tight as iron bars as the boat was moved about.   Let's say you are stbd side to the jetty and it's time to leave.  One spring line from the stbd quarter all the way to a bollard on the dock fwd of the bow.  Slow astern port engine.  The bow just swings out.  Easy.  

No one thought a bow thruster necessary.  

Another big grey boat (550' long, 75' beam, 30,000 tons and 20,000 hp, single shaft) had a bow thruster.  It was a big freakin' diesel hooked up to a propeller in a tunnel about 8' diameter.