FUCKING RACCOONS DECLARED WAR !!!

Remaining (2-3) FUCKS Bolder than Ever

killed All fish in pond

Banging and Jumping on Roof

Cane twords me when I went out to WTF the noise was

they MUST DIE

let me know if ya want a Hat or a Roast

I dont think they have seen a speargun launched st them yet 

Thissis the rabbit racoone hattere we alle no an love.....  mabey I gotte carriede awaye yjeire                       :)

Mabey leave alcoholle and loadidde weppons on back lawne, thinges halve awaye tacke carre of thensellves.  Daewin diddente ritte juste abote peopel.                :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

You are not supposed to fuck them Woody.

Explains why they are not happy. 

They will tear the shingles off your roof, and rip up parts of your sheathing to nest in the insulation. They also will nest in chimneys..... They did this at my father's house. I put an entire new roof on his house after what I assumed was hurricane damage. 3 days later parts of the ridge cap were torn off, and there were tufts of insulation sticking out. A little investigation, and voila! 'Coon nest! Hav-A-Heart trap got one of the bastards, but the second one would not fall for it, so...... A little hot lead therapy did the trick.

15 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Don't fuck with nature!

Or, if you just -have- to fuck with nature, because nature has camped out on your porch and had babies in your storage bin, wear real boots not those faux-hiker pansy boots..... and socks, be sure to wear socks.

There's a reason why us grumpy old men dress the way we do, it's because we don't need to have an angry mama raccoon chew holes in our shins for us to know "Wear boots when you fuck with nature"

B)

-DSK

In all sincerity Woody - those little bastards are FIERCE!   Do not corner/attack one of those things unless you've got the means to kill the little bastard from a distance.  I've seen a 'coon shot out of a tree, and before it died still tear up 3 dogs so badly they needed to be sewn up.  You can't shoot 'em in your neighborhood, so a trap or calling a professional pest exterminator will be your best bet.  They won't leave - and are likely to return if you try to relocate them.  

A sailor in Cali thought his cat came inside (leaves the sliding door wide open all of the time), he wasn't wearing his glasses.  Little Racoon fucker it was, bit off his toe. Had to go through the painful rabies shots.

4 of those BASTARDS have enjoyed a night with Dry Ice and a Ride to the Dump in a Big Smelly Truck for services 

as of Jan 1st Dry Ice no longet a Humane option 

they have a stiffy for the pond that nolonger haz fish 

Im thinkin Have-A-Hart Swimming Lessons

lastnight they sounded like bowling balls were dropped on roof

I went out unarmed (there is/was the problem)

I had a ladder inplace that they had no need for, when I climbed to have a look 2 headed  directly twords me at a quick defiant pace.

noise does not bother them and they were hell bent on Fucking Shit Up no mater what it is alive or not

I quickly made it into the house admitting They won this Battle

I Will Win This WAR

WOODY SHACK ( like caddy shack only more Dangerous & Higer Steaks  ) I Must Rally my Inner Bill Murry and Become The Reaper of Raccoon Death

One thing for sure This will Not take place on Their Terms nor be Fair

I know for a fact they can Not resist Marshmallows 

What I don't know is how long they can swim under water - full of marshmallows 

I counted 1 Huge, 1 Big and one Medium Fucker climbing off roof 

let me know if ya need any pelts or parts

1 a night is my minimum acceptable pace

these FUCKERS are Not nature passing by that can be lived with

The Beginning of The End haz begone

Raccoons won't hang around if there is no food - keep your garbage tightly bungeed.

We have them wander through here periodically but they leave once they realize there is no food.

They have just about the smallest "fight or flight" space of any wild animal I've ever seen - just don't corner them. Bold as the little fuckers are, I've never had a hint of trouble chasing them off - just make sure they have options.

Sounds like the Coons in Cali have mutated somewhat.

My FIL had some trouble with them trying to get into his attic years ago but a ring of barbed wire at the end of each window box stopped their access.

2 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

...as of Jan 1st Dry Ice no longer a Humane option 

Why zzat? Some new do gooder law?

ya someone figured out killing them that way kills them

I'm  supprised they still can't vote here yet 

• Like 1

If you kept a couple of cougars in your house the raccoons would leave you alone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, longy said:

If you kept a couple of cougars in your house the raccoons would leave you alone.

Best Idea Yet!!

In the interest of keeping this thread alive...well two threads  now...and to justify my own existence ...I have  moved back to SD...well Tijuana...coons.... moons... all the same thing....  with my unmarked van catch and release coon rescue LLC... Coons Near U...

20 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

In the interest of keeping this thread alive...well two threads  now...and to justify my own existence ...I have  moved back to SD...well Tijuana...coons.... moons... all the same thing....  with my unmarked van catch and release coon rescue LLC... Coons Near U...

pm yer contact info and when I get a stack/pile of the FUCKERS you are welcome to bring them back to where they came 

as Mulch starter

artists in TJ could make many useful things to sell to those sitting in traffic waiting to cross the border

Loss - WIN - WIN - WIN 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, longy said:

You mean a couple of  these? R U sure? 

I want more... : Stock Photo

28 minutes ago, HuronBouy said:

You mean a couple of  these? R U sure? 

I want more... : Stock Photo

didn't say Old Codgers

1 hour ago, longy said:

Won't work - Woody's got cougars in his house regularly and the coons are still there,

Got to keep them longer than 30 minutes or so. Overnight is good, weekly is best. Need the scent of predator to pervade the premises.

2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

ya someone figured out killing them that way kills them

I'm  supprised they still can't vote here yet 

Just out of curiousity, asking for a friend and all. How do you kill them with dry ice? Throw it at them?

I still find hot lead therapy to be the most expedient method. Use a suppressor, or .22 shorts if your neighbors get uptight.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Won't work - Woody's got cougars in his house regularly and the coons are still there,

Yes, licke Longey sayes, walkle them aronde the propertey and lette them pisson stuffe on perrimetrer                            :)

• Like 2

A couple years ago a pushy family decided to play with my buccaneer’s supplemental flotation.   Growing bored with the pool noodles, they also shredded the cardboard that used to contain the original Chrysler foam.  There was no food in the barn, so they thoughtfully stocked the boat with a dead mouse.   

7B5708D0-F767-4A33-A96E-11F88F1D52F9.jpeg

then place both in a contractor bag ...tape the bag around the hose coming from the tail pipe of a 1976 MG.... PRN

coontrap.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DtM said:

that is very artistic.

Our you thickeng licke a 'Pollocke" of raccoone worlde?                                                   :)

6 hours ago, ease the sheet said:

Warfarin?

The EPA (before Pruitt) decided to ban production of warfarin and the other poisons that cause hemorrhage.   In their defense, rats were developing resistance, pets and wildlife were being poisoned by eating rodents.   Unfortunately they only allow worse choices now.  None have antidotes and one that causes the brain to swell doesn’t even have a practical diagnostic test.   Medical treatment  is of limited efficacy,

They require poisons be sold in a pet and child proof bait station of heavy plastic, but refills are not.   It’s cheaper to buy refills and skip the bait station.   Vitamin K is only the antidote for old stuff.   I passionately hate cholecalciferol.  It’s a vitamin D overdose.   If you survive the acute kidney failure mineralization of soft tissue and chronic kidney failure will ruin your life.   Bromethalin is only slightly less scary, since it takes more to kill as your brain slowly swells inside the skull.   Don’t use if you have pets or kids.

soapbox over.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I had not heard of "grip traps" before but after googling I think the would be my first choice....quick kill....set and remove the dead coon the next morning

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/removal/NWS00T3.html

Gotta be real careful using those. Whatever goes in comes out dead, coons, skunk, neighbors puppy, stray cats. And they don't always die quick, sometimes they scream like hell. 

1 minute ago, bmiller said:

yes...no perfect way....other than a varmint rifle or a .410...why is it his HOA/State disallows all practical solutions....back in the day or in many places still the solution is not a two thread remedy....no Corpus~~~~no Delicti...if a Tree falls in a forest....if Ya know what I mean Vern....

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

yes...no perfect way....other than a varmint rifle or a .410...why is it his HOA/State disallows all practical solutions....back in the day or in many places still the solution is not a two thread remedy....no Corpus~~~~no Delicti...if a Tree falls in a forest....if Ya know what I mean Vern....

If it works and is quick its Banned

I (with 2 threads) am venting my frustrations 

What I would love to fo is coat my roof with Rat Trap Glue and get the lot of them Stuck like Pigs on a barrel 

then dressed as a Matador with cape and Long Sharp Frog Gigs ..... Spear them 1 at a time and leave them to Rot and perhaps get any future FUCKERS to STICK around to meet the same fate. 

Marshmallow Stuffed Trap set last night w a trail of tasty bits leading to the Pile at tjr back 

I didnt hear anything lastnight and will be checking in a few after me coffee

any news to follow

12 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

No No No "that's a Weapon"

This however is a Tool

I could try to fasten a piece of cardboard to the Trap over the FUCKERS Head to keep the Sun out of the FUCKERS IR-Night-Vision Eyes

Image result for ramsetRelated image

FYI....... No signs of the FUCKERS from last-night 

3 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

No No No "that's a Weapon"

This however is a Tool

I could try to fasten a piece of cardboard to the Trap over the FUCKERS Head to keep the Sun out of the FUCKERS IR-Night-Vision Eyes

Image result for ramsetRelated image

Don't mess around....one shot one kill and your neighbors will never hear or know anything happened....kind of like the beauty of smuggling pot back in the day...yeah it was against the law...but if successful no one knew a crime was committed... ;-)

16 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Don't mess around....one shot one kill and your neighbors will never hear or know anything happened....kind of like the beauty of smuggling pot back in the day...yeah it was against the law...but if successful no one knew a crime was committed... ;-)

I think playing sum "Celine Dion's Greatest Hits" at high volume will get the neighbors to shut their windows and plug their ears

But still, Must be a No Risk Solution

So something Approved buy the Tree Hugging, Illegal Alien Loving, Cross-Dressing FudgePackers that run this place it shall be

"IF There is AnyWay Left"

Maybe a trident tipped pole spear.. If you miss with the spear gun, no re-load hassle..

Nobody'll hear a .22 short, unless they have their ear to the barrel.

• Like 1

Nitrous oxide.  I put a kitty down with it and it's totally painless.  You'd need to fuck around a little to make it work, but it's heavier than air so if you put the trap in a box it would help contain it.

Here is how I did it with kitty:  Filled a dry cleaner  bag with a couple cannisters, put partially opened end in lap, put kitty and towel she was laying in in lap, slowly squeezed bottom of bag while holding up sides of bag  to contain N20, pet and comfort kitty while she gets groggy, sleepy, squeeze bag and raise sides some more, kitty is asleep, zip tie top of bag and leave for 30 minutes to make sure she's totally gone.  Huff remaining 8 canisters in 10 pack.

You might skip the petting part.

13 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Nitrous oxide.  I put a kitty down with it and it's totally painless.  You'd need to fuck around a little to make it work, but it's heavier than air so if you put the trap in a box it would help contain it.

Here is how I did it with kitty:  Filled a dry cleaner  bag with a couple cannisters, put partially opened end in lap, put kitty and towel she was laying in in lap, slowly squeezed bottom of bag while holding up sides of bag  to contain N20, pet and comfort kitty while she gets groggy, sleepy, squeeze bag and raise sides some more, kitty is asleep, zip tie top of bag and leave for 30 minutes to make sure she's totally gone.  Huff remaining 8 canisters in 10 pack.

You might skip the petting part.

I don't know what I would do if they just Kept Laughing :-O

What do you think about a tasty Fish

with an AirHose stock through it as well as  Treble Hook

let em swallow it count to 10 and Hit the Valve to tje 50gal AirTank Compressor 

should go kinda like blowing up s whale on the beach ;-)

maybe if you stopped feeding the dang things they'd stop coming by?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

maybe if you stopped feeding the dang things they'd stop coming by?

15 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That's what I said.

7 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I knew I heard it somewhere before.....

my plan is to feed them and they WON'T come back :ph34r:

40 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

You're neighbor's cats might not like that....... Better to shoot the little bandits when you know what you're killing.

• Like 1

For the record I don't have a problem with raccoons as a species and  I have lived in the same natural Florida setting for 37 years watching countless generations of them  with fascination, thing is we have always respected each others boundaries....if I ever had a problem as  Woody does...I would have executed every suggested  option in order and then some....I did have a problem with  neighbor cat lady once upon a time with feral cats that took up brothels under our house...trapped and released ,the cat lady...:ph34r: which if anyone cares going back to thread #1 and read my first response I stand by that suggestion....road trip....but I am older now am am leaning toward the .22 with a silencer ,real men don't need no stinking scope, sipping beer watching Clint Eastwood movies on my Coon Pad with my Bluetooth noise canceling headphones ....waiting...waiting....LOL....

How do you teach them to wipe their feet before boarding?

They did leave me a wing when they evicted the swallow family that built nests in both my jib sheed cuddies.   I had been curious if swallow eggs would get seasick, the parents were quite concerned each time I took the young ones sailing.   (what is the term for the little box where you can stuff the tail end of the sheet anyway?)

5 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

4 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

You're neighbor's cats might not like that....... Better to shoot the little bandits when you know what you're killing.

I would NOT use Posion

Just Food like Marshmallows as bait

I would Never use a Dumb Spring Trap that would just as well inflict its wrath upon anything regardless of target

should a Cat, Possum or parrot be stuck inside in AM they would be set Free to roam around the country once again Un-Harmed  

let's see what unfolds tonight

15 hours ago, Lark said:

The EPA (before Pruitt) decided to ban production of warfarin and the other poisons that cause hemorrhage.   In their defense, rats were developing resistance, pets and wildlife were being poisoned by eating rodents.   Unfortunately they only allow worse choices now.  None have antidotes and one that causes the brain to swell doesn’t even have a practical diagnostic test.   Medical treatment  is of limited efficacy,

They require poisons be sold in a pet and child proof bait station of heavy plastic, but refills are not.   It’s cheaper to buy refills and skip the bait station.   Vitamin K is only the antidote for old stuff.   I passionately hate cholecalciferol.  It’s a vitamin D overdose.   If you survive the acute kidney failure mineralization of soft tissue and chronic kidney failure will ruin your life.   Bromethalin is only slightly less scary, since it takes more to kill as your brain slowly swells inside the skull.   Don’t use if you have pets or kids.

soapbox over.   

In Australia, warfarin and brodifacoum are readily available, normally in cardboard boxes, from hardware stores and supermarkets for small change.

Of course, guns aren't so easy to obtain. .....

On 5/11/2018 at 6:57 AM, Lark said:

soapbox over.   

I’d be fine if they banned all poisons as varmit control. Too many unintentional kills. 

In the US, warfarin is easily available.... if you are old and have a doctor. Then, test weekly. 

1 hour ago, Caca Cabeza said:

In the US, warfarin is easily available.... if you are old and have a doctor. Then, test weekly. 

would you want to give a Coon 3, 4, or 6 warfarin every morning till dead ?

as a Bait flavor it is NOT desirable as FUCKING raccoons are not exclusive in scouring for food

and unlike a mouse or rat their Fat ASSes take an opening most anything else would fit through so no passive filtering

the FUCKERS go past 1 spot frequently enough that a remotely triggered "Whatever" with a Video Cam to monitor might be a Great option

BUT it Needs to take them out w/o suffering (or Fucking Screaming)

It's now like a Bad Ass Raccoon joined the remaining FUCKERS from the last batch

Likely having been exposed to traps before

They Rome in Packs of 5 with the Elders standing back surrounding the youngsters who fuck with stuff & Have their Back should trouble arise

That also allows them to learn what happens from the mistakes of the others

So Like an Old Cat - an Old Raccoon is Wiser in The Ways of surviving in DA-HOOD

On 5/11/2018 at 3:36 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Nobody'll hear a .22 short, unless they have their ear to the barrel.

BB caps or CB caps. Use a bolt action rifle with a good extractor, they gumm up the action of almost any repeater.

4 hours ago, ease the sheet said:

Step up woody. Time to act like the animal at the top of the food chain.

If you were a woman, I'd suggest you call someone. ....

It'sdifficult to show the little fuckers who's boss, they are infinitely patient and crafty. It's their day job. It's how they survive.

-DSK

On 5/10/2018 at 9:38 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

hornet.jpg

My dad wasn't a hunter but he won a sport pool in the 1950s and bought a Winchester model 70 in .22 Hornet, with his winnings.  Beautiful gun and one hell of a varmint rifle which is what the Hornet was designed for. It was even legal for deer in PA but you better be a good shot for that.  I loved the bolt action and the feel of the Winchester, it had a 10X variable scope.  Hollow points did the job on woodchucks, which are like raccoons without the 'roid rage', but a real nuisance to farmers.

How did he get his wood chucked after shooting them?

17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

How did he get his wood chucked after shooting them?

How much wood

29 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

My dad wasn't a hunter but he won a sport pool in the 1950s and bought a Winchester model 70 in .22 Hornet, with his winnings.  Beautiful gun and one hell of a varmint rifle which is what the Hornet was designed for. It was even legal for deer in PA but you better be a good shot for that.  I loved the bolt action and the feel of the Winchester, it had a 10X variable scope.  Hollow points did the job on woodchucks, which are like raccoons without the 'roid rage', but a real nuisance to farmers.

If Oswald "could" squeeze off 3 bolt actions shots at 300' in Warren Commission time.....I think 3 volunteers in bean bag cushion chairs perched at scouted out kill locations  armed with whatever that .22 Hornet rifle silencer guy in the video (still no scopes)with Bluetooth mics and a case of Budweiser (each...each night) ...waiting...waiting....no checking into/posting on SA on their CoonPhones ....picking off the phat coon masters in the back first then mad minute firing on  the clueless recoon youngsters next....it would be all over in 5 seconds....but hey....it would be at the expense of "The Never Ending Story"...

14 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

If Oswald "could" squeeze off 3 bolt actions shots at 300' in Warren Commission time.....I think 3 volunteers in bean bag cushion chairs perched at scouted out kill locations  armed with whatever that .22 Hornet rifle silencer guy in the video (still no scopes)with Bluetooth mics and a case of Budweiser (each...each night) ...waiting...waiting....no checking into/posting on SA on their CoonPhones ....picking off the phat coon masters in the back first then mad minute firing on  the clueless recoon youngsters next....it would be all over in 5 seconds....but hey....it would be at the expense of "The Never Ending Story"...

Ahhh Yes

Surround the target area & Drink beer till they show (between 10:30Pm/4:45Am)

Someone is bound to Hit somethin

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Yeah, 3 drunks slumped in beanbag chairs in the backyard shooting rifles at little critters.

What could go wrong?

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Yeah, 3 drunks slumped in beanbag chairs in the backyard shooting rifles at little critters.

What could go wrong?

glass half full....MSDCF

Madrid declares war on plague of raccoon and parrot invaders

Spanish capital to launch cull of American raccoons that can carry rabies, and noisy Argentinian green parrots

Stephen Burgen

Mon 22 Jul 2013 10.28 EDTFirst published on Mon 22 Jul 2013 10.28 EDT

Friendly Racoon Sniffs Out Photographer  - Dec 2011  

A raccoon: like the Argentinian parrots, they were introduced to Europe as pets. Photograph: Luke Massey / Rex Features

Madrid has declared war on invaders that threaten the peace of mind of the Spanish capital's human residents and the survival of native species of birds and animals. The city is to begin a cull of the American raccoons and Argentinian green parrots whose populations are reaching plague proportions.

Both creatures were introduced to Europe as pets and raccoons were sold in pet shops as recently as 2011. Those which escaped or were abandoned have proliferated rapidly. Raccoons were first seen in the area in the early 1970s while the parrots date from the mid-1980s.

As the parrots live on average for around 10 years, each breeding pair can produce as many as 50 chicks in their lifetime. They build precarious nests in trees and live in large, raucous colonies. The parrots feed on newly-seeded lawns and drive out local bird species, but the main objection to them is noise. Madrid's once peaceful Buen Retiro park is now filled with the squawking of hundreds of parrots.

The raccoons are also a health hazard as some carry rabies and a parasite (Baylisascaris procyonis) that attacks the human nervous system. They have no predators, but prey on a range of creatures, as well as eating birds' eggs. They eat everything, from the young of protected species to rubbish.

Although the city has authorised "the capture and death of any specimen" the cull is not a call to arms, however, and the city doesn't want people to form anti-raccoon militias. Nor will it use poison, but plans to trap and kill the animals. The parrots will be caught in nets and their nests destroyed. "It is not too late to control this population explosion," said Felipe Ruza, deputy director of environmental conservation for the Madrid area.

Since you’re here …

… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Guardian than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.

I appreciate there not being a paywall: it is more democratic for the media to be available for all and not a commodity to be purchased by a few. I’m happy to make a contribution so others with less means still have access to information.Thomasine, Sweden

If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps fund it, our future would be much more secure. For as little as $1, you can support the Guardian – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

Maybe try a LOT of sticky paper rat traps. "Coons being so used to using their feet as hands having paper stuck all over might annoy them so much they leave the premises. Attempt to duplicate 'brer rabbit & the tar baby'. Film of the action would be good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, longy said:

Maybe try a LOT of sticky paper rat traps. "Coons being so used to using their feet as hands having paper stuck all over might annoy them so much they leave the premises. Attempt to duplicate 'brer rabbit & the tar baby'. Film of the action would be good.

placing sum in their path would be a Great Rat-Fuck

And it's hard to Rat-Fuck a FUCKING Raccoon

I'm liking that Idea

maybe put a large finger bowl of electrified water in the general vicinity

Lots of people do - because they're cute.

Lots of hard lessons have been learned.

There is the "Electro-plate"...... Made by an insane friend, who made it to electrocute flies in math class, in 7th grade. His version was two small pieces of aluminum foil with a scotch tape "hinge. It was attached to a capacitor of some sort, which when plugged into a wall socket would charge the capacitor. A small drop of sugar water on the top piece of foil was the bait. Fly flies in, the weight of the fly causes the foil pieces to connect, and ZAP!

Now think along the same lines, but use a 240VAC circuit, two copper plates, and some cat food...... Oh, and something a little more substantial than scotch tape for the hinge..... Maybe a couple of pieces of inner tube on either side, but allowing the top copper plate to flex to connect with the bottom one.....Make sure you have a 60 amp breaker on that circuit too.....

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

There is the "Electro-plate"...... Made by an insane friend, who made it to electrocute flies in math class, in 7th grade. His version was two small pieces of aluminum foil with a scotch tape "hinge. It was attached to a capacitor of some sort, which when plugged into a wall socket would charge the capacitor. A small drop of sugar water on the top piece of foil was the bait. Fly flies in, the weight of the fly causes the foil pieces to connect, and ZAP!

Now think along the same lines, but use a 240VAC circuit, two copper plates, and some cat food...... Oh, and something a little more substantial than scotch tape for the hinge..... Maybe a couple of pieces of inner tube on either side, but allowing the top copper plate to flex to connect with the bottom one.....Make sure you have a 60 amp breaker on that circuit too.....

I do have sum Industrial Neion Sign transformers

But I Don't want No Screaming, Burnt Hair Smelling FIRE to wake the neighbours

And not sure thats on the HUMANE DEATH List anyway :-(

I just took this fucker on an after work sail.   I pulled out the captains chairs and PFDs, gave him 90 minutes in 10-15, and was motoring back into the marina as the wind failed.   Putting stuff back as I cleared the courtesy dock, I found the little guy’s nose inches away from my hand!    I may have taught the kids fishing on the dock some new words (sorry mom).   

DA4FB84B-022F-46FB-88E7-C4EDA8BFE649.jpeg

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Lots of people do - because they're cute.

Lots of hard lessons have been learned.

baby alligators are cute too...

19 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Madrid declares war on plague of raccoon and parrot invaders

Spanish capital to launch cull of American raccoons that can carry rabies, and noisy Argentinian green parrots

Stephen Burgen

Mon 22 Jul 2013 10.28 EDTFirst published on Mon 22 Jul 2013 10.28 EDT

Friendly Racoon Sniffs Out Photographer  - Dec 2011  

A raccoon: like the Argentinian parrots, they were introduced to Europe as pets. Photograph: Luke Massey / Rex Features

Madrid has declared war on invaders that threaten the peace of mind of the Spanish capital's human residents and the survival of native species of birds and animals. The city is to begin a cull of the American raccoons and Argentinian green parrots whose populations are reaching plague proportions.

Both creatures were introduced to Europe as pets and raccoons were sold in pet shops as recently as 2011. Those which escaped or were abandoned have proliferated rapidly. Raccoons were first seen in the area in the early 1970s while the parrots date from the mid-1980s.

As the parrots live on average for around 10 years, each breeding pair can produce as many as 50 chicks in their lifetime. They build precarious nests in trees and live in large, raucous colonies. The parrots feed on newly-seeded lawns and drive out local bird species, but the main objection to them is noise. Madrid's once peaceful Buen Retiro park is now filled with the squawking of hundreds of parrots.

The raccoons are also a health hazard as some carry rabies and a parasite (Baylisascaris procyonis) that attacks the human nervous system. They have no predators, but prey on a range of creatures, as well as eating birds' eggs. They eat everything, from the young of protected species to rubbish.

Although the city has authorised "the capture and death of any specimen" the cull is not a call to arms, however, and the city doesn't want people to form anti-raccoon militias. Nor will it use poison, but plans to trap and kill the animals. The parrots will be caught in nets and their nests destroyed. "It is not too late to control this population explosion," said Felipe Ruza, deputy director of environmental conservation for the Madrid area.

Since you’re here …

… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Guardian than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.

I appreciate there not being a paywall: it is more democratic for the media to be available for all and not a commodity to be purchased by a few. I’m happy to make a contribution so others with less means still have access to information.Thomasine, Sweden

If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps fund it, our future would be much more secure. For as little as $1, you can support the Guardian – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

That sounds like the parrots that lived in the trees at the Army post I worked at in Heidelberg, Germany.  A huge flock of them.  My first thought was WTF are parrots doing in Germany! Maybe they migrated from Madrid.  I didn't see any raccoons though.

10 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

That sounds like the parrots that lived in the trees at the Army post I worked at in Heidelberg, Germany.  A huge flock of them.  My first thought was WTF are parrots doing in Germany! Maybe they migrated from Madrid.  I didn't see any raccoons though.

FUCKING RACCOONS  Terrorizing an Army base

Think about it

You wouldn't see any around here if it was allow to defend the area with proper firepower

45 ACP should be Humane Certified