jack_sparrow

VOR AUCTION - OPPORTUNITIES LOST & STILL THERE?

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Foils on the 65'?  One thing is certain - no one has any idea how this is all going to work.

As Potter has been saying. Stripping down some kind of  Super 60 to make it suitable for a Vendee is intriguing. Easier to remove weight from a VOR boat than to beef up a Vendee boat.

Re  "the boat is totally not relevant", I laughed and wondered if you had managed to poke the Bruno in a sensitive spot.

Nonetheless, 49 of 51 IMOCA owners want the VOR. Was looking for BD to say something more about the media platform and contacts that I suspect they lust for. How much weight does that add? The VO65 had to be a bus to carry around all that equipment. Stick the same gear on an IMOCA? Change the rule so that an OBR doesn't count against single handing definition?

21 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks stief not being a FP lurker I missed the first 2 chapters. Good interview Shang.

Bruno's words that caught my eye re my post ^^^

"B.D. Yeah, I think this way, taking a Volvo boat going to the Vendee would be easier than taking a Vendee boat and coming to the Volvo"

SS's 2nd was pretty good too http://sailinganarchy.com/2018/06/27/in-conversation/ but it mostly fit the NYT gender thread . . .

FWIW, https://twitter.com/sailinganarchy is the easiest way to keep up with the FP.

28 minutes ago, stief said:

As Potter has been saying. Stripping down some kind of  Super 60 to make it suitable for a Vendee is intriguing. Easier to remove weight from a VOR boat than to beef up a Vendee boat.

It would be ironic in a couple years looking back we find the VG boat has retracted from a "super light and back off" boat as it is now, to a "version of the crewed push hard" heavier boat. This allows the SH to not only go harder, but also enjoy the performance tweaking put in by the crewed boats and in doing so beat their super light and less fit SH cousins.

The retro step after that might be they pull out sextants in the VG?

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

It would be ironic in a couple years looking back we find the VG boat has retracted from a "super light and back off" boat as it is now, to a "version of the crewed push hard" heavier boat. This allows the SH to not only go harder, but also enjoy the performance tweaking put in by the crewed boats and in doing so beat their super light cousins.

The retro step after that might be they pull out sextants in the VG?

I suspect the IMOCA sailors would be glad to go retro if it meant they might get away from being huddled in their cave for 6 hrs (IIRC, that was the number Armel gave last VG) having to do routing and navigating.

And if an OBR wasn't allowed to help sail the boat, the rugged solo sailors  could have their own vanity paparazzi who would cook, clean and answer the comms and record the noble solitary sailor The good looking companionable ones would be a dream for any solitary sailor seeking fame and appreciation. No more clak clak clak. 

3 minutes ago, stief said:

The good looking companionable ones would be a dream for any solitary sailor seeking fame and appreciation. No more clak clak clak.

A market for eunuchs??

Thanks stief. I have read 1 - 3  twice now with interest. When Bruno talks one should listen.

I recall Shang saying he had a interview with the RO lined up??..I hope it happened as they and microphones are strangers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks stief. I have read 1 - 3  twice now with interest. When Bruno talks one should listen.

I recall Shang saying he had a interview with the RO lined up??..I hope it happened as they and microphones are strangers.

Yes, lots of good bits in those articles. He's Canadian, after all, so no surprise there ;) 

I was especially intrigued by the 'data' mention. Few say much about the fact VOR and Farr have amassed a huge and invaluable data set (every 10 seconds of 7 x 2 x 100,000 nm) of the characteristics of a top rated round the world sailing boat.

Bruno is right. What a huge advantage a newcomer to the VOR data might have. Even a mediocre sailor who had such crossovers and polars and load limits (147 sensors, IIRC), plus whatever special settings each team discovered,  might find that a winning advantage.

No wonder 49/51 owners and top architects wanted access to the VOR. Brisius, Salén and Litborn must be tempted to flip the VOR for a quick profit in a couple of years, but I imagine there will be all kinds of clauses protecting the IP. Has anyone here actually seen the actual text of the sale?

Yep, "information is the new oil".

4 minutes ago, stief said:

Has anyone here actually seen the actual text of the sale?

You will first see the FBI and CIA documents revealing who killed JFK before you hear detail on the VOR sale terms. They would have run out of red pens at Volvo HQ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stief said:

Re  "the boat is totally not relevant", I laughed and wondered if you had managed to poke the Bruno in a sensitive spot.

Nonetheless, 49 of 51 IMOCA owners want the VOR. Was looking for BD to say something more about the media platform and contacts that I suspect they lust for. How much weight does that add? The VO65 had to be a bus to carry around all that equipment. Stick the same gear on an IMOCA? Change the rule so that an OBR doesn't count against single handing definition?

I think 49 out of 51 are pulling the VOR's leg! Has anyone spoken to the owners and got their views on what boat and how they intend to sail it?

2 hours ago, staysail said:

I think 49 out of 51 are pulling the VOR's leg! Has anyone spoken to the owners and got their views on what boat and how they intend to sail it?

???? Maybe they were starry-eyed after Alex T's speech to them extolling the business, and they were the ones getting played. 

Yes, some have managed to speak to a few in the class. After the Hong Kong leg, Tip and Shaft spoke with  Antoine Mermod,  President of the IMOCA class,, the past president, and a few others. T&S  also get a dissenting opinion from Romain Attanasio (worried a MAPF budget would push him out).

There's more, but on a bladder break and heading out to the boat for a few days. Surely those closer to the French sailing scene could answer your point better

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&langpair=auto|en&rurl=translate.google.com&sp=nmt4&u=http://www.tipandshaft.com/volvo-ocean-race/la-volvo-ocean-race-discute-avec-limoca/&xid=17259,1500004,15700019,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700173,15700186,15700191,15700201&usg=ALkJrhj8B3b-2Y5e2vzE2raqDQnlENTvPA

3 hours ago, staysail said:

Stay you may think that but the reality is this.

1. The new bride Muriel likes to keep to herself but has an extended family of 51. Some are quite affluent.

2. While arguably pretty and very sexy Muriel likes hair extensions and is nervous outside her home country and so has trouble selling herself to a wider audience being an aspiring model developing herself and all that.

3. A bit over a year ago a majority of the extended family said she should hook up with a rich, worldly and well connected fellow  called Vor who has a wide circle of friends. Vor is a well grounded, stiff necked fellow and never shown a desire to hook up with a women wearing hair extensions. The only dissenters to that potential union were two crusty old batchelor uncles, never married, poor as church mouse's and about to drop off the perch anyway.

4. Muriel then contacted Vor via Tinder, however shortly afterwards Vor suffered a major setback upon his rich uncle and sole living relative passed away courtesy of euthanasia. Luckily Vor had seven friends who could fund his lifestyle until they got married.

5. Now like many love stories money is cast aside and lust takes over. After a year or more of dancing around each other the bride and groom married this time last week.

Now Stay you obviously don't appreciate that Vor's shortly departing friends payed for the wedding and the honeymoon suite. Your suggestion is that Muriels family all 51 or 49 of them should have also been there in the honeymoon suite while the newly wed couple both undressed. That Stay is not appropriate by any objective assessment, not even in Tennessee.

6. However easilly forgotten is this modern couple are not backwards about defying marriage convention. For instance Muriel who loves her own company and already living in her small house sitting on a windy outcrop wants to maintain it, but still see Vor. Vor on the other hand loves Muriel to death, right down to even getting hair extensions himself, getting a chiropractor to work on his stiff neck and maybe not be so grounded and be a bit more footloose and fancy free. 

However Vor has designs about building a new house on a similiar windy block of land to Muriel's, one even like Muriel's and one they can share from time to time, but with a bit more room to invite friends over to stay, albeit he has insufficient money on the horizon to do that straightaway.

Now Stay having regard to your suggestion that Muriel's extended family should have input into the design of Vor's new house a week after they getting married. Don't you think that is a bit rich? Afterall only a small number will ever want to visit Vor's new house and have a sleepover and only the well healed ones at that?

Anyway to conclude Muriel is set on keeping her mother's maiden name IMOCA for this marriage. Vor now an orphan wants to change his name too, but is between a rock and a hard place with his late departed uncles estate insisting he doesn't and are waving a cheque knowing he is broke.

Stay you were not invited to the wedding, if you were you would not have made that quite silly post about the views of Muriel's family at this juncture.

Just for you.

• Like 1

Busan to make port of call bid for premium ocean race

2018/07/06 17:27

SEOUL, July 6 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's southern port city of Busan will bid to become one of the stopovers for a premium ocean race, local officials said Friday.

Busan's bidding committee for the Volvo Ocean Race said it will try to have the city's northern harbor designated as one of the ports of call for the sailing event in the 2021-22 season.

The committee, led by Korea Sailing Federation chief Yoo Joon-sang, said it appointed 26 members who will work until October to win the bid.

The Volvo Ocean Race is one of the big three offshore races in the world, along with the Olympics and America's Cup.

The event, which started in 1973, is recognized as the longest and toughest team challenge in sailing. For the 2017-18 season, the participants will have to sail across four oceans, six continents, and visit 12 host cities.

South Korean ports have never been selected for the event.

"If Busan is selected as a port of call, top-class sailors will visit South Korea," an official with the bidding committee said. "This will help the country to boost the development of the sailing industry.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2018/07/06/0200000000AEN20180706008600315.html

21 minutes ago, southerncross said:

The Volvo Ocean Race is one of the big three offshore races in the world, along with the Olympics and America's Cup.

WOW, I never knew there was an olympics offshore event. I must go to the AC forum to see how those shifty kiwi's changed the AC to offshore.

I guess the Koreans are really getting into the ass kissing of the RO...

Hoppy, I very much approve of the new avatar.  The butts matter!

51 minutes ago, southerncross said:

SEOUL, July 6 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's southern port city of Busan will bid to become one of the stopovers for a premium ocean race, local officials said Friday.

That is little short of just plain weird. Still, if you are the owners of the race, it is nice to be wanted.

Anything that breaks the team/stopover link is a good thing. But how this would fit into the race schedule is not clear.

4 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

That is little short of just plain weird. Still, if you are the owners of the race, it is nice to be wanted.

Anything that breaks the team/stopover link is a good thing. But how this would fit into the race schedule is not clear.

They have been to that sort of latitude before. Qingdao isn't so different. It would be bloody cold though on the one side without adjustment to the Race schedule and South Korea is an economic powerhouse on the other

6 hours ago, southerncross said:

The committee, led by Korea Sailing Federation chief Yoo Joon-sang, said it appointed 26 members who will work until October to win the bid

October...sounds as though the RO is on a host city fishing expedition with a deadline. Maybe the will use a cash register to set the course?

On 7/6/2018 at 9:53 PM, jack_sparrow said:

1. The new bride Muriel likes to keep to herself but has an extended family of 51. Some are quite affluent.

2. While arguably pretty and very sexy Muriel likes hair extensions and is nervous outside her home country and so has trouble selling herself to a wider audience being an aspiring model developing herself and all that.

3. A bit over a year ago a majority of the extended family said she should hook up with a rich, worldly and well connected fellow  called Vor who has a wide circle of friends. Vor is a well grounded, stiff necked fellow and never shown a desire to hook up with a women wearing hair extensions. The only dissenters to that potential union were two crusty old batchelor uncles, never married, poor as church mouse's and about to drop off the perch anyway.

4. Muriel then contacted Vor via Tinder, however shortly afterwards Vor suffered a major setback upon his rich uncle and sole living relative passed away courtesy of euthanasia. Luckily Vor had seven friends who could fund his lifestyle until they got married.

5. Now like many love stories money is cast aside and lust takes over. After a year or more of dancing around each other the bride and groom married this time last week.

Now Stay you obviously don't appreciate that Vor's shortly departing friends payed for the wedding and the honeymoon suite. Your suggestion is that Muriels family all 51 or 49 of them should have also been there in the honeymoon suite while the newly wed couple both undressed. That Stay is not appropriate by any objective assessment, not even in Tennessee.

6. However easilly forgotten is this modern couple are not backwards about defying marriage convention. For instance Muriel who loves her own company and already living in her small house sitting on a windy outcrop wants to maintain it, but still see Vor. Vor on the other hand loves Muriel to death, right down to even getting hair extensions himself, getting a chiropractor to work on his stiff neck and maybe not be so grounded and be a bit more footloose and fancy free. 

However Vor has designs about building a new house on a similiar windy block of land to Muriel's, one even like Muriel's and one they can share from time to time, but with a bit more room to invite friends over to stay, albeit he has insufficient money on the horizon to do that straightaway.

Now Stay having regard to your suggestion that Muriel's extended family should have input into the design of Vor's new house a week after they getting married. Don't you think that is a bit rich? Afterall only a small number will ever want to visit Vor's new house and have a sleepover and only the well healed ones at that?

Anyway to conclude Muriel is set on keeping her mother's maiden name IMOCA for this marriage. Vor now an orphan wants to change his name too, but is between a rock and a hard place with his late departed uncles estate insisting he doesn't and are waving a cheque knowing he is broke.

Stay you were not invited to the wedding, if you were you would not have made that quite silly post about the views of Muriel's family at this juncture.

Just for you.

With an average divorse rate of 53%, maybe we should wait for at least the happy couple's first anniversary before declaring this marriage a success?

This article on the model for the 5 Oceans being broken is dated 2010 and interesting to read in conjunction with where the VOR is today and recent IMOCA nuptials. 2010/11 race only 5 entries using cheap and cheerful pre 2003 Open 60's. Not one French entry for a race that starts and finishes in France. Following 2011/12 VOR wasn't too flash either with only 6 entries.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/elaine-bunting/velux-5-oceans-the-model-is-broken-7378

This vid is prior edition in 2006/7,  7 entries, 2 stopovers and in Open 50's and 60's. Note: essential viewing for those who believe top SH guys don't take their foot off the throttle.

Vid reminder courtesy of Scanas.

19 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

This vid is prior edition in 2006/7,  7 entries, 2 stopovers and in Open 50's and 60's. Note: essential viewing for those who believe top SH guys don't take their foot off the throttle.

AT had his foot off the throttle because he had already abandoned the race at the time he was filmed.

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

AT had his foot off the throttle because he had already abandoned the race at the time he was filmed.

You might have to rethink that. He didn't abandon the race, he abandoned the boat when his keel fell off and turned turtle in the Southern Ocean and where helicopters are also a pretty rare specie.

HUGO-BOSS-620x350.jpg

Ok, you got me...

^^^^^ broken linky. This one Doyle's direct.

https://www.doylesails.com/index.php?p=news/2018/stu-bannatyne-talks-next-edition-of-vor

The thrust of it albeit while obviously wearing his Doyle's hat.

"The return to a development class signals an exciting opportunity once again for the sailors and designers to play a significant role in defining the performance of the boats. This race will provide several avenues available for the sailors to have considerable input into the design with only masts and keels as one design components". 

The antithesis to that is sailors and designers have not played a significant role in the last two editions? Not sure I would agree with the latter.

Would be refreshing if these sailors and designers acknowledged the balancing act required between their being able to practise their craft and financial reality. The money first has to be procured to unleash their talent in their respective roles. Hovever maybe they are just following suit where for most money men, the roles of designers and jockeys don't feature significantly in their decision to invest. The reality however is when they do, it often leads to them to not opening their wallets towards underwriting the cost of putting a horse onto the paddock at all.

While OD in SH IMOCA might currently only be restricted to keels and rigs, for Crewed IMOCA the RO is going to be under a lot fiscal pressure to extend that to hulls at least and maybe even appendages.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:53 PM, jack_sparrow said:

ve made that quite silly post about the views of Muriel's family at this juncture.

Just for you.

image.png.4c2435fbc0cfa63ab676aca700df7bfa.png

33 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Randumb I'm confused ..all your male pets claim you don't choke??

200.gif

A RACE OF SUPERLATIVES

Ken Read Reflects On The Closest Volvo Ocean Race In History

“Looking to the future, it seems like the IMOCA relationship is set with the Volvo Ocean Race. Whether I agree with it or not is irrelevant, but I’m certainly curious to see how it works out. For me, the Volvo must always be a fully crewed race. The rules for youth and women sailors, and the introduction of onboard reporters, have been crucial to showing the world what sailing looks like. So I would not want to create a boat that weeds out in essence those three huge breakthroughs. It’s therefore critical to put a crewed boat out there. With the IMOCAs hopefully the crew does not become too small and that it is considered a 60ft boat where you have a proper crew and you can continue with the female, youth and reporting onboard. Personally, I would also  love to see owners back in the race with an old Whitbread-style, second ‘Big Boat’ Class or open division, inviting 70’ through 100’ crewed boats to race around the world under a rating band – attracting those boats competing in other races like the Rolex Sydney.”

https://twitter.com/northsails/status/1013876127503474689?s=21

tenor.gif.9be018458bbf10a237fdcfb594f097c9.gif

34 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Ken Read

..Personally, I would also  love to see owners back in the race with an old Whitbread-style, second ‘Big Boat’ Class or open division, inviting 70’ through 100’ crewed boats to race around the world under a rating band – attracting those boats competing in other races like the Rolex Sydney.”

Words of wisdom from a sailmaker who has just seen his comfortable  2 Edition OD sail cheque and retirement plan go up in smoke.

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Words of wisdom from a sailmaker who has just seen his comfortable  2 Edition OD sail cheque and retirement plan go up in smoke.

Do you really think that Ken needs the Volvo for some cash to retire?

Jackfish.jpg.9c1bf8cf9b551614d2a1f37b044d6e5e.jpg

13 hours ago, random said:

Do you really think that Ken needs the Volvo for some cash to retire?

Randumb I would normally not bother to furnish a reply as clearly comprehension is not your strong point. However in the spirit of education may I suggest you first Google the word "analogy" instead of posting pictures of goldfish. The first four words I'm sure you are familiar with the next three words should be a breeze.

Firstly Kenny doesn't own or have I believe have any meaningful equity in North Sails or the US based North Technology Group or NTG as it is called. NTG is majority owned by a UK private company called Capital Private Equity. Since their aquisition they have been centralising ownership from a very fragmented ownership model. So in short Kenny is just a paid hand and like most people on planet earth has an eye where the next dollar comes from.

Secondly as the CEO Kenny's job description and KPI's are not exactly the traditional day to day management one. His primary KPI is keeping North Sails at front of every boat owning punters mind when they are wanting to write a cheque to buy new dailst. Hence that is why you see Kenny as a AC commentator or driving high end boats like Maxis (Comanche) and J-Class etc and not sitting behind a desk managing micro day to day operations. His success at doing that is probably second to none IMO.

Thirdly, notwithstanding the above there have been a few hiccups in Kenny and his firms engagement under that model.  With Kenny's prior committment to TV commentating at the Louis Vuitton America's Cup World Series in England in mid 2016 he missed out being skipper for Comanche's record breaking west to east run. Albeit not on board the record books as first published suggested he was. Big fail there. Then the collapse of the Comanche/Hanuman/Owner Clark relationship and boats are sold or mothballed.

Finally we have to add to Kenny's nightmare the VOR going IMOCA after North's had the honey pot being the OD sail provider for last two editions. That has now gone up in smoke. 

At first glance you look at the top of the IMOCA fleet using the last VG as an indicator North's were the predominant sail provider, however down the fleet their name disappeared. The nigger in the woodpile was Doyles driving HB. Many think when Tompson hit a UFO on the approach to the SO on the last VG wiping out a foil but still hanging onto Le Cléac'h all the way to the finish is because that UFO was a remote controlled North's container with an outboard.

Bottom line is in my opinion the opportunity to open up sail supply and advancement  for this race is a godsend. The trickle up and down effect is as basic as an apprentice sailmaker can no longer think that if they don't work for North's they can have a future in this business. At the top end owners will say to themselves "why am I actually spending a fortune bending on North Sails?"

A monopoly favours no one except the dominant. Monopolys stiffle inovation despite what they indicate with their capital suggesting otherwise using high tech names to label basic production techniques, many borrowed from other industrial sectors.

As I have espoused up thread the diminution of this race started 20 years ago around a monopoly more interested in selling cars, nothing else. The sports dominant providers like Norths have latched on to that concept, not really caring about the outcome for this race. They all actually don't give a long term fuck.

Hence Kennys line of the VOR should have a maxi class. They sure do have large sails. Funny about that. Door to door vacuum cleaner salesman have a more sophisticated line than that one Kenny. I think theirs is my model sucks the carpet off the floor.

The new sail provider opportunity and advancement in sail design for this race and the IMOCA class looks pretty sweet.

PS. Randumb please don't quote me anymore and instead have a drink and play with the dog for a bit who says you are not a mouthful before pulling the funny picture post trigger in future. 

nod8c.gif

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Your lucky your pets can't talk.

Keep going, I'm working on some more goldfish pics.

On 7/9/2018 at 3:30 AM, jack_sparrow said:

https://www.doylesails.com/index.php?p=news/2018/stu-bannatyne-talks-next-edition-of-vor

"The return to a development class signals an exciting opportunity once again for the sailors and designers to play a significant role in defining the performance of the boats. This race will provide several avenues available for the sailors to have considerable input into the design with only masts and keels as one design components". 

The antithesis to that is sailors and designers have not played a significant role in the last two editions? Not sure I would agree with the latter.

Would be refreshing if these sailors and designers acknowledged the balancing act required between their being able to practise their craft and financial reality. The money first has to be procured to unleash their talent in their respective roles. Hovever maybe they are just following suit where for most money men, the roles of designers and jockeys don't feature significantly in their decision to invest. The reality however is when they do, it often leads to them to not opening their wallets towards underwriting the cost of putting a horse onto the paddock at all.

While OD in SH IMOCA might currently only be restricted to keels and rigs, for Crewed IMOCA the RO is going to be under a lot fiscal pressure to extend that to hulls at least and maybe even appendages.

In a contest I look for embedded self-interest to back.  It's always running.

^^^ A reminder how time quickly flys by ... three years years ago the VO65's just finished their first edition and Josse dropped this in the water. The crewed mono brigade need to get a wriggle on.

On 7/9/2018 at 3:30 AM, jack_sparrow said:

That links broken as well. 

2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Hey Jacky-boy.  You hear reference the submarines he just come off?

Looks like I'm in good company.  Peter Burling agrees with Random.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Submarines .....Burling needs to HTFU...

Letmein-31689.jpg

News Flash!

Peter Burling today announced that he is in full agreement with Random about how wet the VOR65s are.

11 hours ago, random said:

Hey Jacky-boy.  You hear reference the submarines he just come off?

Looks like I'm in good company.  Peter Burling agrees with Random.

so Burling agrees that a 32 metre foiling tri is more fun to go around the world in... d'oh... 

Find a sailor who wouldn't agree wit hthta proposition if they're not payng the bills

• Like 1

This is off-thread, but Jack's post #1312 above triggered it: what caused Jim Clark to sell , attempt to sell, and/or quit racing Comanche and Hanuman (and condos, etc.)? Over the past several months I have searched the inter web, gone through SA, and picked up bits and pieces but can't really put it together. I did not belong to SA when apparently stuff was happening that led to this result and was also off the grid and/or internet for a lot of the time. 

23 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

This is off-thread, but Jack's post #1312 above triggered it: what caused Jim Clark to sell , attempt to sell, and/or quit racing Comanche and Hanuman (and condos, etc.)? Over the past several months I have searched the inter web, gone through SA, and picked up bits and pieces but can't really put it together. I did not belong to SA when apparently stuff was happening that led to this result and was also off the grid and/or internet for a lot of the time. 

I knew it was not going to end well and hour or so after their Hobart win. 

Here's how it went.  Jim, Kristy and Ken were being interviewed by Channel 7 TV when Jim was asked if the big indian was going to return next year.  He opened his mouth to say something when Kristy said something like "Yes definitely we'll be back alright!"

Well I winched inside.  It was a massive mistake to do that in public, given the rumours that had been circulating.  I knew without a shadow of a doubt that the boat was going to be sold as soon as exiting plans and commitments were done.  Jim continued to smile, made no attempt to correct her.  But his jaw set a touch.

1 hour ago, random said:

Well I winched inside...

Ugh?? your trying to speak posh ..Most people say "Well I pulled it out of my arse"

1 hour ago, despacio avenue said:

This is off-thread, but Jack's post #1312 above triggered it:

Que???

?? this post on Muriel's wedding... a curious point of view and personification of the races, but if you want the VOR to be a man, it's more a penniless aristocrat in pursuit of a dowry.                            

And it's Dongfeng that won... no "medal hoodoo" ... The race has been won by a team with three permanent sailors fed with solo sailing, and they were not the only ones on this boat... I tend to agree with what you usually say but I don't know what you want to prove on this page... 

On 7/6/2018 at 6:30 AM, jack_sparrow said:

When Bruno talks one should listen.

Bruno Dubois, Voiles et Voilier 3 April, after Brian Hancock on Sailing Anarchy :

I was not really surprised to read this on this aggressive opinion column. This is the trademark of the American newsletter Sailing Anarchy (for which it was written, ed), and the way they attract customers ...

I am not a fan of VO65, however, since the beginning. We have to imagine something else for the future ...

So, this is the whole configuration that we will have to revisit, in order to know if we should not go back to fundamentals, with fewer stops. At each, we find ourselves between all the general managers of the teams with the skippers and the staff of the Volvo Ocean Race, as we did at the last America's Cup. That's how the idea of having two classes come together in the next edition - the IMOCA and the VO65 - even if it's going to be confusing, but will probably bring in new sponsors, and new teams (a 100% Chinese crew, a crew under 30 ...). The VO65 are now paid, and until then were involved in the high cost of participating in the VOR ...

22 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ugh?? your trying to speak posh ..Most people say "Well I pulled it out of my arse"

I was fucking correct.

You just continue to swim in your little bowl.

Jackfish.jpg.db6a1e7813b1736b231367ce1c270965.jpg

Interesting read on where the future lies in monitoring the crash test dummies in real time without outside assistance.

".....a self-contained system that didn't simply collect data but could conduct analytics at the same time and serve it up to the sailors while they were out at sea."

http://www.itpro.co.uk/big-data-analytics/31480/iot-on-the-high-seas-how-biometrics-gives-volvo-ocean-race-sailors-the-edge

img_20180609_140922.jpg

img_20180609_120316.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Probably unrelated but maybe this teaser a fightback plan.

Would appear to be design 826:  NEXT GENERATION IMOCA OPEN 60   http://www.farrdesign.com/784-copy-2.html

The boat is envisioned to be easily adaptable for singlehanded, doublehanded or crewed sailing with specific consideration for the Volvo Ocean Race courses and the implications of sailing with 5 crew and an onboard reporter.

Hard to imagine Farr would just walk away from the VOR. Whether this has legs is another matter.

Amusingly the renderings on their web page, and the above quote call it the Volvo Ocean Race, but they have blotted out the VOR logo on the bow in the little teaser - even though it is clearly the same rendering.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Would appear to be design 826:  NEXT GENERATION IMOCA OPEN 60   http://www.farrdesign.com/784-copy-2.html

Interesting how you design a boat sans a rule. 

Seems you punch these words into the Integrated Design-space Exploration and Optimization System or IDEOS  software......

The boat must be able to operate at peak efficiency, able to maintain high average speeds for the solo sailor while being robust enough to be pushed to the limit by a full crew.  On a performance basis this emphasizes the need for a boat that is easily driven and as sea kindly as possible.

...and out pops this plus a few pictures.

Design 826 features a highly efficient, refined hull form optimized for the dynamics of ocean sailing at high speed while maintaining low drag in light air.  

LOA: 18.28 m / 60.0 ft

Beam: 5.XX m / 18.X ft

Draft: 4.5 m / 14.7 ft

Displacement: 7,XXX kg / 15,XXX lbs

Cant Angle: 38 Degrees

Hydrofoil Assisted

Wish IDEOS hadn't forgotten sail plan area as the renders indicates there is a fair bit hanging off that rig.

826_aft_iso_1a_mounted_800x600.png

826_sailplan_all_sails-mounted_600x800.png

826_aft_iso_1_mounted_600x800.png

On 7/17/2018 at 7:44 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Interesting how you design a boat sans a rule. 

Seems you punch these words into the Integrated Design-space Exploration and Optimization System or IDEOS  software......

The boat must be able to operate at peak efficiency, able to maintain high average speeds for the solo sailor while being robust enough to be pushed to the limit by a full crew.  On a performance basis this emphasizes the need for a boat that is easily driven and as sea kindly as possible.

...and out pops this plus a few pictures.

Design 826 features a highly efficient, refined hull form optimized for the dynamics of ocean sailing at high speed while maintaining low drag in light air.  

LOA: 18.28 m / 60.0 ft

Beam: 5.XX m / 18.X ft

Draft: 4.5 m / 14.7 ft

Displacement: 7,XXX kg / 15,XXX lbs

Cant Angle: 38 Degrees

Hydrofoil Assisted

Wish IDEOS hadn't forgotten sail plan area as the renders indicates there is a fair bit hanging off that rig.

826_aft_iso_1a_mounted_800x600.png

826_sailplan_all_sails-mounted_600x800.png

826_aft_iso_1_mounted_600x800.png

Well the deck spreaders will make the fleet starts and interesting! 

Shang's FP story was pretty fucking disgusting.

It would be good if he could tell the story about Witty without talking himself up?

"Oh look at me I'm rubbing shoulders with the stars, they know me by name!!!!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPZNPJD4sjIAVKKWH1X1P

Not unexpected the 65's go around again. Host cities to be announced in autumn but looks like much of the same old thing. 1st October handover date from Volvo. Start to feel this race is not getting a name change.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/12126_The-next-edition-of-the-race-is-taking-shape.html

Reality is this thing hasn't progressed anywhere in close to two years since the Super 60 design brief started.

I wonder if this thing has an afterlife as a bullet proof crewed VOR platform where you have ice gate immunity?

He takes off this weekend on a figure of eight RTW via the poles ( Le Sables to NW passage and around Antartica ie 2 Cape Horns) and it as IMOCA 60 faithful to the rule as can be except where it has been strengthened etc to handle the ice. Has a 3rd daggerboard to protect the keel.

Much heavy than a Open 60 but lighter than a VO65 ie front sections 45mm solid and balance in cored twin skin small watertight sections. Some weird crushed volcanic rock melted and turned into fibre thing instead of carbon. Has yield/flexible properties and won't explode when it hits a growler is the thinking.

http://www.ant-arctic-lab.com

^^^Now, this is brilliant. "Not your average boat." I will follow this guy on this voyage on the web site tracker. He said he'd pass the GGR on his way back.   

We need a new thread for this one.

Ok I'll start a thread...You think Sailing or Ocean Racing ??? While no race the boat of more interest to race couch potatoes??

For those of you who think that IMOCAs are bad boats for women for the Drheam cup in IMOCA there were 2 ladies out of 12 participants and the girls finished first and second!

• Like 1

Do you read the other VOR threads? I posted the presser yesterday already in the 20xx one.

Glad that the 65s still have a life, but two classes? No fan of this. 

17 hours ago, DtM said:

We need a new thread for this one.

16 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Yes, we do.

2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Do you read the other VOR threads? I posted the presser yesterday already in the 20xx one.

Sorry I misinterpreted the call for new thread to be for the volcanic rock guy not the VOR. I started this thread pending the sale of the VOR to address all aspects of how people think the new owners should approach it post Volvo, not just the boat/platform that is the predominate subject on race only threads. It also goes beyond just the next edition.

I'm not a great fan of multiple threads as what happens many discussion points get buried and lost and worse in new threads those lost subjects get raised again for another Merry Go Round which is a PIA. Also many people pick up a thread long after it has started by reading contributions to date, which they otherwise miss in fresh/same subject threads.

Therefore I suggest until a Race Name and Course is announced in the next couple of months stick with what we have got being this thread and the one DtM started (that you refer to Renny) albeit it is dated having started pre-ownership change and is title date and possibly even name incorrect pending that announcement.

That said happy to change if that's what people want.

Cheers

On 7/27/2018 at 7:51 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Not unexpected the 65's go around again. Host cities to be announced in autumn but looks like much of the same old thing. 1st October handover date from Volvo. Start to feel this race is not getting a name change.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/12126_The-next-edition-of-the-race-is-taking-shape.html

Reality is this thing hasn't progressed anywhere in close to two years since the Super 60 design brief started.

The above press release contained this:

"Concurrently, in conjunction with The Sports Consultancy, work is intensifying to identify exceptional cities for the stopover ports in the next race. The selection of these Host Cities will define the route of the 2021-22 race, which is expected to include 8 to 10 stopovers, while maintaining the Southern Ocean legs of the race."

It refers to this mob.

http://www.thesportsconsultancy.com

This subject of host cities has been discussed at length in this thread to date in terms of it being a problem area that has done little to encourage participation if not discourage it.

Comments made have included things like Volvo brand name exposure taking precedence to the race, China stopovers and the ramifications of that, the need to rationalise stopovers, make some stopovers more permanent in conjunction with host city contribution certainty by having course stability, focusing on stopovers being the genisus to teams being defacto national representatives etc etc.

That said the process being adopted now looks identical to what it has been in the past. That is put a bunch of consultants on a plane and send them on a world wide whistle stop tour to find which host cities are willing to stump up the most money, then build a race course around that.

Seems repeating  past mistakes is going to be the order of the day for this race.

18 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ok I'll start a thread...You think Sailing or Ocean Racing ??? While no race the boat of more interest to race couch potatoes??

I was referring to the Ant Arctic Lab "race"; I presumed DtM was as well. Even though it really isn't a race, as you noted above, I do think it would interest race couch potatoes such as me who are suffering from VOR withdrawal, so I suggest putting the thread under Ocean Race.  It is not clear to me what type of information or video Sedlacek is going to be sending out. 

Thanks, Jack, for bringing this event to our attention.

I agree, Ocean Racing for the volcanic rock boat figure 8.

Thanks Jack. You get to choose the name.

On 7/28/2018 at 5:45 PM, DtM said:

I agree, Ocean Racing for the volcanic rock boat figure 8.

Thanks Jack. You get to choose the name.

Done DtM hope you concur with title..I was going to type Pooftars.

I just noticed this in last RO press release upthread. It says;

"As a live event experience, nearly 100,000 corporate guests attended at least one of the 12 stopover cities, where the Race Villages attracted over 2.5-million fans".

I'm not sure that is a lot to crow about. The comparive numbers for 2014/15 Edition were 2.4 million through Race Villages and 70k corporate guests.

You then factor in this latest edition had  two (2) additional stopover/pitstops, then in real terms this thing is going backwards.

These people people refuse to admit their stopover/race route model is broken and they need to start afresh.

On 8/5/2018 at 1:51 PM, jack_sparrow said:

These people people refuse to admit their stopover/race route model is broken and they need to start afresh.

Never going to happen. It's not the Swedish way

hiding-head-in-sand-picture-id143921073?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Never going to happen. It's not the Swedish way

Sadly you are on the money hoppy. Possibly with the RO domiciled in Spain someone might put a hot Tapas up their arse to reverse their current thinking about repeating yet again a Swedish stopovers/race course business model that has been failing now for two decades. 

If that doesn't occur well the race is on for which hearse gets to the finish line first. With no real skin in the game the new RO is conveniently at the back of the grid.

Yes all very Swedish.

images (72).jpeg

17 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Sadly you are on the money hoppy. Possibly with the RO domiciled in Spain someone might put a hot Tapas up their arse to reverse their current thinking about repeating yet again a Swedish stopovers/race course business model that has been failing now for two decades. 

If that doesn't occur well the race is on for which hearse gets to the finish line first. With no real skin in the game the new RO is conveniently at the back of the grid.

Yes all very Swedish.

images (72).jpeg

Jack, I agree. As a commercial event it needs to follow the money. Fully understand the need for Volvo AB to be seen in their home city but the dynamic has now changed. The Hague with its international connotations and connections, let alone a village so packed on arrivals day it took over 15 minutes to navigate across it proved to be a good stopover.

And of course, although you probably disagree, China should be a given - no money - no event.

Well SS, I have to admire your enthusiasm for the event, but seriously "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?
Nothing I have read anywhere about a next event, boats, management,dates, route, is at all credible. At present I really cannot believe the race can or will go ahead with any boats vaguely resembling an Imoca, (and the 65's yet again!!). I have yet to hear of any high profile sailor who plans to enter. If I wanted to enter I would not at the moment have any idea what or when I would be entering, or what with, or who would own it. It all just looks like a waste of time and effort even to consider it. And I should think CC has had enough by now and will be wanting to have a bit more fun now and you are right about him being "marketable" so he will not be short of more exciting opportunities.
Seems to me that something does need to be fixed or it's not going to happen again any time soon.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:28 AM, shanghaisailor said:

And of course, although you probably disagree, China should be a given - no money - no event.

Shang at least one of two things will guarantee China is on the tour calender. One it is a Volvo condition of sale and two leveraging a Chinese entry and stopover together. They will obviously try that elsewhere but I doubt with any success except maybe the Hague.

8 hours ago, staysail said:

Well SS, I have to admire your enthusiasm for the event, but seriously "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?
Nothing I have read anywhere about a next event, boats, management,dates, route, is at all credible. At present I really cannot believe the race can or will go ahead with any boats vaguely resembling an Imoca, (and the 65's yet again!!). I have yet to hear of any high profile sailor who plans to enter. If I wanted to enter I would not at the moment have any idea what or when I would be entering, or what with, or who would own it. It all just looks like a waste of time and effort even to consider it. And I should think CC has had enough by now and will be wanting to have a bit more fun now and you are right about him being "marketable" so he will not be short of more exciting opportunities.
Seems to me that something does need to be fixed or it's not going to happen again any time soon.

Not my choice of title :-)

If you wanted to enter? You have a sponsor in mind? I did actually say in the article that some Anarchists might be pedantic. Thank you for not disappointing :-)

No worries, the piece was designed to stir the pot because it needs stirring. Teams have, in effect, around 12 months to get a sponsor to the table with pen in hand and the event hasn't even got a rough route announced yet. It makes the sale more than a little challenging.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 8:48 AM, shanghaisailor said:

Not my choice of title :-)

If you wanted to enter? You have a sponsor in mind? I did actually say in the article that some Anarchists might be pedantic. Thank you for not disappointing :-)

No worries, the piece was designed to stir the pot because it needs stirring. Teams have, in effect, around 12 months to get a sponsor to the table with pen in hand and the event hasn't even got a rough route announced yet. It makes the sale more than a little challenging.

Or class of boat......that’s going to make selling that to a sponsor pretty difficult. 

“I’d like £15 million to do a round the world, crewed, multi-stop, yacht race”

”Great, tell me more. Where will the boats be heading? What type of boat? How many crew?”

”errrrrrr, we don’t really know these details yet......”

”When is the start date?”

”errrrrr, we’re not sure on that bit either yet”

• Like 1

“Absolutely that’s our ambition, to do the next Volvo Ocean race in 2021,” said Thomson, adding that the shift could prompt significant changes and shorten the 10-month race, cutting the high cost of entry and competing. 

“If you get the economy of the teams right, everything else will fall into place,” he added.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-sailing-thomson/sailing-thomson-targets-vendee-volvo-double-as-he-builds-new-total-machine-idUKKBN1KZ1FU