jack_sparrow

VOR AUCTION - OPPORTUNITIES LOST & STILL THERE?

15 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Bit of cross thread pollination. Jeremie Beyou's new ride rolled out of CDK Composites shed today. Might have to have a "no hiking on foil rule" for this race.

Pic linky courtesy of WetHog & Baguette du Fromage

DlHQiwYX4AAoylD.jpeg

DlIq73uWwAAq92o.jpeg

already a dinosaur

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Partially right but certainly not a rebar/conc protection thing. The elements in question being either bridge deck or suspension structure are all pre/post stressed cable, not reo elements encased in conc working their guts out in tension not compression...just like the bits in a sailboat structure that usually say goodbye first.

Wheter PT cables or rebar, the steel bits in a concrete structure are mostly meant to carry tension anyway.

I said mostly before somebody starts talking about highly loaded columns....

This talks of stopovers being reduced to 9 and that Lisbon don't expect to have to go to auction against 12 to 14 European cities bidding for a Euro stopover spot and that the Boatyard will stay in Lisbon.

The combination of shaving stopovers, the existing HQ infrastructure at Alicante and these thoughts of Lisbon authorities might not necessarily gel and someone might have to miss out.

https://www.publico.pt/2018/08/22/desporto/noticia/lisboa-e-o-plano-a--da-volvo-ocean-race--ate-dezembro---1841799

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, mad said:

Or class of boat......that’s going to make selling that to a sponsor pretty difficult. 

“I’d like £15 million to do a round the world, crewed, multi-stop, yacht race”

”Great, tell me more. Where will the boats be heading? What type of boat? How many crew?”

”errrrrrr, we don’t really know these details yet......”

”When is the start date?”

”errrrrr, we’re not sure on that bit either yet”

Hi Mad. I see you got my point. A company is NOT going to be interested in spending marketing dollars in an event that doesn't go to at least 1 or 2 (probably or hopefully more) of their current key or target markets. I personally don't know of any company that would throw money at something they didn't know what they were getting.

Hey - wait a minute - the banks. Leading up to and during the sub-prime mortgage debacle didn't many banks buy lots of derivatives when they didn't know or understand what was in them?

Perfect? Anyone got the phone number of Bear Sterns they would buy anything - what do you mean they went bust?

Seriously though, it is a concern for anyone serious about considering a team for the next go round.

SS

I find it really interesting that Red Bull having no visible partnership arrangement with the VOR suddenly pop out of the box up with this remix...the sponsorship cogs for the next edition starting to turn???

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/video/AP-1TC7NRTKS2111/all-or-nothing?playlist=AP-1TC7ES3251W11:events

This linky courtesy of dg_sailingfan.

My guess is "safety" is going to be revisited for the next edition both "onboard" following the Fish incident and also with the crews pushing the structure of IMOCA 60 as modified platform. 

Here is an interesting parallel between safety and performance when new features are introduced.

You would think F1 would have exhausted every possible safety scenario by now, but that is not the case. This season the "halo" cockpit protection weighing about 8kg was a controversial introduction with many drivers unhappy at the aesthetic of it in particular. For instance Hamilton described it as "the worst-looking modification" in F1 history. Bottas said the extra weight will impact driving, particularly on cornering speeds. Most teams were critical of it reducing visibility and potentially trapping drivers in a rollover situation. 

The "halo" debate has all the hallmarks of debates in this race like "on deck protection", "tethers and PFD's" etc that always come up.

Last weekend at the Belgian Grand prix and as usual in F1 the first corner provided the drama, with Alonso's McLaren flying over Leclerc's white Sauber after being rammed.

It would seem the "halo" debate has suddenly gone quiet.

images (88).jpeg

f85c746356305c22787ff3d72d024c50.jpeg

DliHMj2XoAAjthT.jpeg

The IMOCAs are much better at protecting the crew, IMHO the lack of protection on MOD70 / VO65 is just reckless. For the structures I am not convinced that it is that bad, the IMOCAs are not sailed as hard but see "accidental loadings" more often when autopilots do silly things and the boats do chinese gybes or end up on their side.

IMOCA protection is all about keeping the solo sailor in the cockpit and under the protection. Full crew want to go on deck and see the bow when helming. Much harder problems to solve. One of the first things you would do going full crewed on an existing IMOCA is to remove some of that protection so the deck is more accessible and visible.

Difficult to read if this press release dated yesterday just a "tombstone" for their past involvement or looking ahead and their services are now out to tender?

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/post-type-the-wire/vislink-provides-broadcast-technology-as-official-supplier-to-volvo-ocean-race

https://www.vislink.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/RD002266-Volvo-Ocean-Race-Case-Study-.pdf

19 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

My guess is "safety" is going to be revisited for the next edition both "onboard" following the Fish incident and also with the crews pushing the structure of IMOCA 60 as modified platform. 

Here is an interesting parallel between safety and performance when new features are introduced.

You would think F1 would have exhausted every possible safety scenario by now, but that is not the case. This season the "halo" cockpit protection weighing about 8kg was a controversial introduction with many drivers unhappy at the aesthetic of it in particular. For instance Hamilton described it as "the worst-looking modification" in F1 history. Bottas said the extra weight will impact driving, particularly on cornering speeds. Most teams were critical of it reducing visibility and potentially trapping drivers in a rollover situation. 

The "halo" debate has all the hallmarks of debates in this race like "on deck protection", "tethers and PFD's" etc that always come up.

Last weekend at the Belgian Grand prix and as usual in F1 the first corner provided the drama, with Alonso's McLaren flying over Leclerc's white Sauber after being rammed.

It would seem the "halo" debate has suddenly gone quiet.

images (88).jpeg

f85c746356305c22787ff3d72d024c50.jpeg

DliHMj2XoAAjthT.jpeg

It's still an ugly as shit addition. It won't be long before F1 is 100% safe and only Random and the millennials will find it exciting.

https://docur.co/documentary/grand-prix-the-killer-years

27 minutes ago, hoppy said:

It's still an ugly as shit addition. It won't be long before F1 is 100% safe and only Random and the millennials will find it exciting.

The human body without a head looks ugly as shit too. 

The drivers via the Grand Prix Drivers' Association have been seeking increased upper cockpit protection for nearly a decade and this device has been under development for three years. The athestic of the "halo" is universally not liked however the function is and the only one whose opinion that counts is those putting their heads on the line.

Fans that mock health and safety initiatives in any sport, particularly motorsport on the basis it reduces their enjoyment should be strapped to the bonnet and taken for a ride. Interestingly when spectators were being killed on badly set up or managed tracks, they were screaming their guts out about safety.

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The human body without a head looks ugly as shit too. 

Would not have lost his head.

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

only one whose opinion that counts is those putting their heads on the line.

correct...

20 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

For instance Hamilton described it as "the worst-looking modification" in F1 history. Bottas said the extra weight will impact driving, particularly on cornering speeds. Most teams were critical of it reducing visibility and potentially trapping drivers in a rollover situation. 

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

Would not have lost his head.

Probably not...like what sort of person picks it up and doesn't hand it in?

On 8/27/2018 at 5:04 AM, Chimp too said:

IMOCA protection is all about keeping the solo sailor in the cockpit and under the protection. Full crew want to go on deck and see the bow when helming. Much harder problems to solve. One of the first things you would do going full crewed on an existing IMOCA is to remove some of that protection so the deck is more accessible and visible.

Much discussed before.  The VOR crews asked to get rid of the dodgers.  The drivers need to see the bow and the area just to the weather side all the time when the breeze is up (I yell at crew a LOT about this.)   You just can't drive one of these boats safely at speed through waves without seeing forward.  Much better to take the occasional face full of water than misjudge how to get through the next wall of water.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 1:47 AM, Left Shift said:

Much discussed before.  The VOR crews asked to get rid of the dodgers.  The drivers need to see the bow and the area just to the weather side all the time when the breeze is up (I yell at crew a LOT about this.)   You just can't drive one of these boats safely at speed through waves without seeing forward.  Much better to take the occasional face full of water than misjudge how to get through the next wall of water.

They've got wheels, they can bring them just behind the dodger so that the helsman can see the bow and dodge bad waves just like on some G-class. The exposed helm stations are here to bring cool videos I suspect.

6 hours ago, Panoramix said:

They've got wheels, they can bring them just behind the dodger so that the helsman can see the bow and dodge bad waves just like on some G-class. The exposed helm stations are here to bring cool videos I suspect.

Well, you very well may have more hours driving boats at 20 plus than I do.  I do own a TP52, though.  And while only occasionally as wet as a VOR boat, I can't imagine driving from behind a dodger.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:47 AM, Left Shift said:

Except that they took a full body of water instead of just the face.  On multiple occasions that were recorded, the helmsman was washed to the end of their tether by green stuff.  That means that the boat is momentarily out of control opening the opportunity for more damage to crew and boat.

Anyone who thinks that is acceptable, and that there is no remedy is delusional and dangerous.

1 hour ago, random said:

Except that they took a full body of water instead of just the face.  On multiple occasions that were recorded, the helmsman was washed to the end of their tether by green stuff.  That means that the boat is momentarily out of control opening the opportunity for more damage to crew and boat.

Anyone who thinks that is acceptable, and that there is no remedy is delusional and dangerous.

Yes, you have been on and on (and on) about this.  All concerned have noted your concern.  All involved thank you for expressing it so clearly.  You haven't expressed a workable remedy however, so your comments are useless.  

Next?  

1 hour ago, random said:

Just because someone or something is Delusional doesn’t always mean it is Dangerous.  For example you are quite harmless.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Just because someone or something is Delusional doesn’t always mean it is Dangerous.  For example you are quite harmless.

Just a bit of spray to keep the driver awake.  Neither dangerous nor harmless.  But not on Randumbs resume either.Spray.JPG.2f1aa56ec7000393614176896757653d.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Just a bit of spray to keep the driver awake.  Neither dangerous nor harmless.  But not on Randumbs resume either.

Watch what happens at 2:40, nice to have no one steering. 

Tell your story to Annie about harmless.

4 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Yes, you have been on and on (and on) about this.  All concerned have noted your concern.  All involved thank you for expressing it so clearly.  You haven't expressed a workable remedy however, so your comments are useless.  

Next?  

I have.  At the time it was howled down.  Since then Fish has gone and others injured.

Now it seems safety is a consideration again.   Guess I'm just ahead of the peak.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, random said:

Watch what happens at 2:40, nice to have no one steering. 

Tell your story to Annie about harmless.

Ummm, that is a VO70 (movistar?), and the clip at that point is not from this last race, or even the one before that...

That said, the with boats getting faster there will no doubt be more consideration for crew protection, but water over the deck was not a factor in Fish' death.  So whilst your argument is understood, you still don't seem to be able to back it up properly.

11 minutes ago, Potter said:

Ummm, that is a VO70 (movistar?), and the clip at that point is not from this last race, or even the one before that...

That said, the with boats getting faster there will no doubt be more consideration for crew protection, but water over the deck was not a factor in Fish' death.  So whilst your argument is understood, you still don't seem to be able to back it up properly.

Video replaced with right one.  Interesting that it wasn't hard to locate the same scene of crew being bashed about.

I do not have to back anything up.  The events speak for themselves, the images of 'no one at the helm' on multiple occasions need no backing up.  Also not requiring explanation is comparison to some other RTW mono's with protection for the crew.

But they aren't photogenic, the punters want crew buried under tonnes of white water.  How else can it be marketed as extreme if the safety of the crew is not visibly at risk?  How the fuck to do SELL packages to the Board if it is not like that? 

Once upon a time is was about sailing, adventure by adventurers.  Now each boat is a commodity, a product that requires employees to drive it.

Companies with 'sex fingers' they fuck everything they touch.

35 minutes ago, random said:

Video replaced with right one.  Interesting that it wasn't hard to locate the same scene of crew being bashed about.

I do not have to back anything up.  The events speak for themselves, the images of 'no one at the helm' on multiple occasions need no backing up.  Also not requiring explanation is comparison to some other RTW mono's with protection for the crew.

But they aren't photogenic, the punters want crew buried under tonnes of white water.  How else can it be marketed as extreme if the safety of the crew is not visibly at risk?  How the fuck to do SELL packages to the Board if it is not like that? 

Once upon a time is was about sailing, adventure by adventurers.  Now each boat is a commodity, a product that requires employees to drive it.

Companies with 'sex fingers' they fuck everything they touch.

beat-dead-horse-gif-5.gif

2 hours ago, random said:

Now it seems safety is a consideration again.   Guess I'm just ahead of the peak.

I'm sure the next generation crewed designers will take your observations on board...should be an exciting platform.20180525_210928_Tapio_Lehtinen_Purjehdus.jpg.846ed340894aedd227cc42d12f7deb60.jpg

So how's the troll busting business gong Jack?

Just now, random said:

So how's the troll busting business gong Jack?

Pretty good...your opinion is now regarded as irrelevant and you are forced to walk the line otherwise you get zapped from SA. Mission accomplished.

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Pretty good...your opinion is now regarded as irrelevant and you are forced to walk the line otherwise you get zapped from SA. Mission accomplished.

Is that why I am here shafting you again?  Looks like you failed miserably, as usual.

The only thing that got changed around here was the number of down votes allowed per day.  Those allowed now must have pissed you off big time.  You and your VOR mates can be thanked for that.

27 minutes ago, random said:

Is that why I am here shafting you again?  Looks like you failed miserably, as usual.

The only thing that got changed around here was thenumber of down votes allowed per day.

Actually a lot changed and you know that as your here doing that with your noise wound back at the instruction of the Ed. Your complaint to the Ed about me and others fell on deaf ears didn't it. You have been shut down son. Live with it.

However your welcome to go back to your old ways and see how that works out. You won't of course as like all trolls a junkie needs his juice.

38 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Actually a lot changed and you know that as your here doing that with your noise wound back at the instruction of the Ed. Your complaint to the Ed about me and others fell on deaf ears didn't it. You have been shut down son. Live with it.

However your welcome to go back to your old ways and see how that works out. You won't of course as like all trolls a junkie needs his juice.

Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif

Oooo Butthurt hey!

I didn't complain at all, but I'm guessing you did.  And I'm guessing you got your hand smacked.  Now you are trying to salvage something from your fuck-up

Not working out so well for you.   Soooo, how's the troll busting business going?

EDIT: an how'm I doing?  Back to my old ways yet?

25 minutes ago, random said:

I didn't complain at all, but I'm guessing you did. 

Yes you did and no I didn't...and you are still a fuckwit.

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yes you did and no I didn't...and you are still a fuckwit.

Ooooo you got your hand smacked, naughty Jacky-boy!  You must have done something wrong!

Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif

53 minutes ago, random said:

Ooooo you got your hand smacked, naughty Jacky-boy!

Prove it or fuck off...I have proof of your spanking.

18 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Well, you very well may have more hours driving boats at 20 plus than I do.  I do own a TP52, though.  And while only occasionally as wet as a VOR boat, I can't imagine driving from behind a dodger.

These guys seem to manage :

record-collectif-ultim-francois-gabart-m

59 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

These guys seem to manage :

record-collectif-ultim-francois-gabart-m

Beautifully designed deck cabin for single-handed racing on a 100' tri.  Almost 100% steered by autopilot though.  Rare trips to the bow.  Not quite apples/apples there.  But certainly some ideas.  Like the giant catcher's mitt around the back end of the boat so nothing goes overboard.

Hard spray shields for the drivers may be coming for the chest down on the VOR boats, but the open shallow cockpit with its own small dodger is very likely to stay to allow sail stacking, easy bow access and crew options.

08245718-photo-trimaran-macif-jerome-cartegini.jpg

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

These guys steer all the time :

be303973d0485c35b417ee8ff420d8fd.jpg

With a horizontal bar right at eye level?    Back to the drawing board.  The chest high Macif screen is a better effort and might work on a VOR boat.

It's removable/collapsible, apparently.  But they sail pretty much with a constant 25-40 knot headwind, so I imagine it's in place most of the time.  

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Prove it or fuck off...I have proof of your spanking.

Post it then. 

BTW, I've been meaning to ask ... how's the Troll Busting business going?

image.png.fda356a6cce52dcdb3961dcd23b205b2.png

Looks like the thread is alive again with options showing how VOR should have done it!

20 minutes ago, random said:

Post it then. 

BTW, I've been meaning to ask ... how's the Troll Busting business going?

image.png.fda356a6cce52dcdb3961dcd23b205b2.png

Looks like the thread is alive again with options showing how VOR should have done it!

I hope you have plenty of ice for your balls each night. With mike busting them over in the climate change thread and Jack doing the same thing here they must be swollen to almost the size of a normal persons by now.

7 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I hope you have plenty of ice for your balls each night. With mike busting them over in the climate change thread and Jack doing the same thing here they must be swollen to almost the size of a normal persons by now.

Yep I have big balls, no doubt about that.  But Chelsea Manning has bigger balls than you do.

9 minutes ago, random said:

Yep I have big balls, no doubt about that.  But Chelsea Manning has bigger balls than you do.

Come on mate you should stick to subjects that you actually know something about. How would you know who has the biggest plums out of Manning and I? You have only had one of us’s balls in your mouth.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Come on mate you should stick to subjects that you actually know something about. How would you know who has the biggest plums out of Manning and I? You have only had one of us’s balls in your mouth.

Well, you started this conversation, talking about my balls ... more than a mouthful is a problem for you?

2 minutes ago, random said:

Well, you started this conversation, talking about my balls ... more than a mouthful is a problem for you?

Are you undergoing some kind of Benjamin Button crisis? Now you are posting with all the wit and comedic skill of your average 11 year old with Tourettes. If this rate of decline continues, by next Tuesday you will be an egg.

2 hours ago, random said:

But they are probably on his mantle piece these days.

LB's are possibly still attached and and used by his missus to keep him under control.

Have you seen yours recently?

fat-guy-computer.jpg

37 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Are you undergoing some kind of Benjamin Button crisis? Now you are posting with all the wit and comedic skill of your average 11 year old with Tourettes. If this rate of decline continues, by next Tuesday you will be an egg.

Take a couple of deep breaths, calm down and scroll back up this thread to see who started talking about balls.  It's always you LB, some deep seated issues there.

Did you get anything  good in your lunchbox today?

5 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Did you get anything  good in your lunchbox today?

FFS LB get out of the way, I'm playing with Jack.

He's supposed to be posting evidence that I got a spanking ...

14 hours ago, Left Shift said:

With a horizontal bar right at eye level?    Back to the drawing board.  The chest high Macif screen is a better effort and might work on a VOR boat.

It's removable/collapsible, apparently.  But they sail pretty much with a constant 25-40 knot headwind, so I imagine it's in place most of the time.  

Despite the inappropriate design they still are the fastest boat around the planet...

14 hours ago, Left Shift said:

With a horizontal bar right at eye level? 

image.png.a4abac14b2bcfefae9360b81ad2e352c.png

5 hours ago, random said:

FFS LB get out of the way, I'm playing with Jack.

He's supposed to be posting evidence that I got a spanking ...

image.jpeg.c63bab0835cb64aeab1d29360b27c225.jpeg

18 hours ago, random said:

He's supposed to be posting evidence that I got a spanking

Your words not mine. I'm saving it for the "Best Randumb Storys" thread.

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Your words not mine. I'm saving it for the "Best Randumb Storys" thread.

See!  Making shit up as usual.  Fiction is your genre.

15 minutes ago, random said:

See!  Making shit up as usual.  Fiction is your genre.

Those I PM'd at the time are still laughing. To jog your memory it was around the time you were whining about being downvoted and so knitted a sock called Brian Hancock that only upvoted yourself and downvoted others.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Those I PM'd at the time are still laughing. To jog your memory it was around the time you were whining about being downvoted and so knitted a sock called Brian Hancock that only upvoted yourself and downvoted others.

You mean when you and your mates were so butt hurt that you were down voting me several hundred a day?

You mean when the ed was so pissed that he changed the max down votes to stop you?

You mean then?

Never argue with stupid. 

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Back to normal programing.

Figaro Solo stage 2 just finishing up. 4 stage <2,000 miles started this time last week.

https://www.lasolitaire-urgo.com/en/

The Fig the stepping stone to the  60. A handfull of these guys in a crewed version might upset the traditional crew selection applecart.

Linky courtesy sidmon.

• Like 1

Randumb needs to get an entire motel with the number of shitfights he has going on around here at the moment.

he is running from room to room like a French bedroom farce.

Richard Gladwell, in the 9/54 and 9/6 editions of Sail-World, interviewed a panel of five sailors  (Wouter Verbraak; Iian Percy; Rob Greenlaigh; Sharon Ferris-Choat; Juan Villa)who participated in the Hamilton Island races about a number of issues, including their 1) thoughts on the changes to the previously-named VOR, specifically the two classes of boats; 2) the finish of the last edition of the VOR, 3) women in off-shore racing. 4) AC, the AC75s foiling monohulls, and Artemis Racing, and 5) foiling 50s.  

Relevant to this thread is the following partial summary:

• Ferris-Choat, who led the female crew aboard the 40 foot Trimaran Ave Gilera, after sailing it from NZ to HI,  addressing the question "Where do we go from here?" regarding women in offshore sailing, said the sailing world was divided over where there is a need for the quota system. She stated it was preferred that women be hired to crew a boat totally on the basis of merit and that hopefully mixed crews would be the norm, but that women were also prepared to seek out sponsors who would support all-women crews.
  • Juan Villa, who was on the Wild Oats IX crew, discussed the changes to the previously-called VOR. Vila said that the Volvo 65s "weren't 70s" but  "good boats" and that the teams had worked to make them faster in the 2017-18 edition. He stated that the IMOCA's will be fast, but expensive, given the amount of extra design work that will be required due to foils. This will appeal to the French, but it could also deter potential organizers. The problem is that no one has been fully foiling in the Southern Ocean, and the IMOCA boats will be foiling and sailing 100% of the time, fully crewed, so "who knows what's going to happen?" As with the 65s in the recent VOR, those teams that start first will have an advantage.  Having experienced two classes of boats in the 1990s, Villa said it is "never good." The 65 is a well-designed class and it will be hard to change it. The IMOCA will be generally faster but will have the problem of breakdowns.
  • Villa said, in answer to a question as to whether the TSS in Leg 11 of the last edition of the VOR,  which played a major role in how the boats finished was "fair": yes. He said one of his competitors went one way, another went another way. 

From Tip & Shaft.. Team Germany still looks to have oxygen and in the foiling frankenboat  business (aka Jérémie Beyou's chicken boat in last VG) using bits of the former Acciona,  and with the VOR in their sights.

# 2 JÖRG RIECHERS: "EX ACCIONA IRA FASTER THAN GENERATION 2016"

Third in proto of Sands-the Azores-Les Sables in August, Jörg Riechers took Thursday the start of the Duo Concarneau Challenge BFR High Tide with François Jambou. The opportunity to meet with the German skipper who, from next year, will sail in Imoca on the former Acciona, currently undergoing transformation. With the intention, within the structure Offshore Team Germany, to compete for the next Vendée Globe.

You sail for two seasons in Mini on the scow Lilienthal (Etienne Bertrand plan), do you intend to continue on the circuit?

The objective of this participation in the mini circuit was to launch the Offshore Team Germany project on the cheapest support offering ocean races: so the idea was to make the Mini-Transat (second place in proto on the 2017 edition) , before a transition year in 2018 and the launch of 60 feet in 2019. Normally, we should have anticipated this launch since we had to make the Barcelona World Race, but as it was canceled, we continued to make the Mini to allow the project to continue to exist and for me to navigate. I also took the opportunity to start training on this boat Morten Bogacki, a German who has already sailed in Pogo 2, since it is he who will take the helm next year for the Mini-Transat 2019.

Tell us about the Offshore Team Germany project, how did it come up?

This is a project we started with Robert Stanjek. After the Volvo Ocean Race 2014-2015, we wanted to create a sustainable offshore racing project in Germany, with Mini debut, which triggers, then the Vendée Globe in 2020 for me, the Volvo Ocean Race in 2020- 2021 with a German-dominated crew of which he would be the skipper, knowing that we are very complementary: me, I have the experience of the broad, him of Olympism, laser and Star. Robert met Jens Kuphal, a former music producer, who helped us move the project from a simple idea to a real structure, launched in late 2016. We then bought the 60 feet, because it's not possible to give credibility to a project if you do not have a boat. If you do not sell dreams, not reality!

The boat in question is the old Acciona, what work did you do on it?

It is a boat that has a track record "infernal": it capsized on the Vendée Globe 2012, the team and the management around this boat were really not good. I wanted to buy it in 2014, but it was not possible because there were insurance problems. It was finally available early 2017, we jumped on the occasion and just bought the hull, without mast or keel, around 500 000 euros. Since then, we repaired it and put it to the new gauge while modifying the deck plan, with the help of one of the two architects of the boat, Merfyn Owen. We have just bought a set of used foils from a boat that finished in good position on the last Vendée Globe [he will not tell us which one, Ed] and for the new mast, we hesitate between a wing-mast with outriggers and a mast with arrows bars. Work on the installation of the foils will begin in a month at Trimarine, Portugal, for launching at the end of February. After the Transat Jacques-Vabre 2019, we will have a new pair of foils, designed by Martin Fischer, and a new bow.

It is therefore a sportingly ambitious project, what do you expect from this boat?

In my opinion, it has great potential: it is a very narrow boat - 5.52 meters, the same width as Hugo Boss - and since it was built before the 2016 gauge, the mast is free, it is is not a monotype. For me, when he has the new foils Martin Fischer, it will be faster than the boats of the generation 2016. And under certain conditions, it can also "annoy" those of 2020!

All this has a price, who pays for this work and what is the budget of your Vendée Globe project?

They are two investors who pay for this work: Jens Kuiphal and Michael Sampers, it is an investment that they intend to recover on the sale of the boat. Now you have to find an operating budget that I estimate at 2.8 million euros in total. For a project that can target the first five-six places in the Vendée Globe, that's fine.

Where are you concretely?

We have three very advanced tracks, we are trying to make a project with several partners, I am sure and sure that we will get there.

You are not the only one to want to participate in the Vendée Globe, do you not fear not being able to qualify, knowing that you do not run the Route du Rhum (if there are more than 30 competitors who have satisfied the rules qualifying, those who have run the most miles on Imoca Globe Series races will have priority)?

No. At every edition of the Vendée Globe, it's always panic, but in the end, projects do not see the day or do not go to the end, so I do not think there is a great danger. If we participate next spring in the race of Valencia [race in the Mediterranean chosen by Imoca following the announcement of the cancellation of the Barcelona World Race, Ed], I calculated that I would be 23rd or 24th in number miles, which would allow me to be selected. So I have to race in Valencia - with necessarily fewer performance goals, because the priority will be to finish. But I'm not worried about that: if you look at the number of races I have not finished, whether in Mini, Class40 or Imoca, it is very small. I will then do the Fastnet and the Transat Jacques-Vabre with Robert Stanjek.

After the Vendée Globe, the idea would be to race the Volvo Ocean Race on the same boat?

Yes, the goal is to do the Volvo on this boat with Robert as a skipper and a crew especially German, I think in particular to Boris Herrmann - with whom I exchanged on the subject - or Isabelle Joschke. But we are only at the beginning of the Volvo project, we are still waiting to know the route and the race notice.

Jesus Randumb, the memes are becoming very, very boring - lift your game

The VOR crew protection issue will come with reduced numbers as they will logically conclude that the best performance is from having a dry and warm crew that is well protected. The examples from multihulls of protection are not really comparable. If you had the green water over these protections that the VOR boats get then you would probably have smashed in the front beam and have bigger problems. These big tris are often doing 30-40 knots and therefore the wind speed in your face would quickly lead to hypothermia if you had to stand there fully exposed as the widn is never really aft of the beam. 

The protection was only really not IMOCA style due to the round the cans racing they were obliged to do. This allowed them to carry on with their fairly macho but ultimately poor protection solution.

^^^Potter that makes sense as in say a 1 year arrangement with some production house with the sunset date coming up. Pity as would be good to see some high profile consumer type sponsors like them throw their hat in the ring.

^^^^^ Jack, just not to loose something in translations. You guys are sayin' that the Redbull support will end this year and so they are squeezing all the possible marketing material from available video footages , correct? 

What if they are preparing the launch of the new edition making some noise, or at least keeping up the volume? Impossible?

Thanks!

^^^^° To best of my knowledge they are not a VOR partner.

My contract reference was one between them and some production house (and possibly VOR for content supply) to produce Red Bull tagged VOR vids and that contract coming to a close as 1 year anniversary approaches or may well be 1 Oct when new crowd step into Volvo's shoes.

For it to be happening someone seems intent on wringing the last bit out of something before something?

16 hours ago, ITA602 said:

^^^^^ Jack, just not to loose something in translations. You guys are sayin' that the Redbull support will end this year and so they are squeezing all the possible marketing material from available video footages , correct? 

What if they are preparing the launch of the new edition making some noise, or at least keeping up the volume? Impossible?

Thanks!

I am merely commenting that this is the result of stuff that Red Bull Media House were producing during the last race. It is not part of a new deal or new direction, but the conclusion of what was agreed prior to the last edition. 

That does not mean that there is no future deal, just that this is not something new. 

I probably was not very clear before. 

On 8/27/2018 at 6:42 PM, hoppy said:

It's still an ugly as shit addition. It won't be long before F1 is 100% safe and only Random and the millennials will find it exciting.

https://docur.co/documentary/grand-prix-the-killer-years

on road/dirt track RC auto racing is some serious shit, motorsports in miniature.

this is a good thread.